• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 19,341 Views, 1,942 Comments

The Reader - GnollReader



A gnoll appears in the Canterlot library and is forced to cope with an endless amount of problems as it gets to know the ponies a bit better.

  • ...
21
 1,942
 19,341

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4: A shiny pony

While the gnoll was busy staring into the fire the two princesses were having a discussion, "Tia, you can't seriously be considering allowing him to come to the castle anymore. What would happen if he were to be discovered?"

Celestia herself was well aware of the dangers, "I know dear sister... but how could I justify denying knowledge to those who seek it? And to think that a gnoll has appeared in Equestria! There must be a meaning to him being here."

Luna shook her head, "Even if he only comes at night and with good intentions, the holidays of the Canterlot academy will come to an end soon. The library will be filled with ponies day and night! What will happen then? The ponies of Canterlot would never accept his presence here and you know that!"

Celestia looked back at the gnoll, "What about Ponyville? What if I were to send him to my student?"

Luna was not convinced, "I know Twilight Sparkle to be a very capable pony, but can we really risk sending a live gnoll to a whole town of ponies? How will they react? More importantly, how will he react? Remember what he is! No matter how much they have always strived to live in peace the gnolls are still wild at heart, they always have been! If he were cornered, would he attack? If he grows hungry, would he hunt our subjects?"

"What if he would prove that he is not a threat to our subjects?"

Luna looked unsure, "He would need to prove that to our subjects and not to us, but how could he?"

There was a flash of light and a loud poof, the gnoll was momentarily roused to look around, "Big white pony explode?"

Luna gave a little laugh, "If only she could..." which earned her an annoyed sigh from Celestia who was currently reading a scroll. He simply shrugged and turned back towards the fire.

Luna looked back at Celestia, "Why are you smiling?"

Celestia didn't answer. Instead she closed the scroll, floated it over to her sister and started walking towards Scar. "Scar?" he turned his head towards her, "You wouldn't have happened to encounter three little fillies on your way to the castle?"

Scar thought for a moment, then he brought one paw a hand above the ground, "Tiny ponies?"

Celestia nodded, "Yes, that would be their size."

"Then, Scar finds three tiny ponies."

Luna had finished reading the scroll and was now listening intently, "Please tell us what happened."

He scratched his chin, "It finds three tiny ponies in forest playing apples with wooden fangs, silly ponies. It scare off wooden fangs, then it tells them go home but tiny ponies stay in tree. So it shakes tree and tiny ponies fall like apple. Then it brings them back to pony town."

Luna raised a brow, "And they just followed you?"

He shook his head, "Tiny ponies don't move first, still playing apples. So it barks at them and they follow. Tiny ponies were slow, so it had to carry." He looked at Celestia, "Was wrong?" Had the ponies sent the tiny ones into the forest on purpose? That would have been cruel even by pony standards.

Celestia smiled, "No, you did very fine Scar." she turned towards her sister, "I think I have the proof you requested. In addition, there is now a very enthusiastic pony in Ponyville asking for any information I have on the subject of gnolls. How about we send her a live one instead?"

Scar was confused, "It goes to pony town?"

"Yes, the library here will not be safe for you to visit very soon. I will let the ponies of Ponyville know that you are no threat. You will meet one of my students there, she is in charge of the local library."

His ears perked up, "Books there?"

"Yes, there are many books for you there, and you'll be able to come and go at any time."

He nodded, "Good, Scar go to pony town, meets little ponies, but if ponies try to put it in cage..."

Luna stepped forward, "Do not worry, they may be a bit... dramatic at times but they will not hurt you. To be sure though that your first meeting goes well I will send one of my guard captains to accompany you." he simply gave her another nod and returned to looking into the fire which was now slowly dying, the flames causing his form to cast huge shadows over the room. He never made fire in the forest but he always enjoyed the heat it gave when he had the chance.

Luna walked towards the door, slightly pushed it open and called to one of the ever present guards, "Guard, please tell captain Purple Haze that my sister and I need to see her immediatley."

The pony snapped to attention, "Of course princess!" she closed the door.

---

Not a minute later there was a knock at the door.

"Please come in." Celestia called. The door opened and a purple mare with bat wings walked in, the black armor and helmet polished to perfection.

As Purple Haze stopped in front of the two princesses her eyes suddenly caught sight of a huge form in front of the fire place. Her instincts were screaming danger but military drill and the fact that the two princesses seemed totally calm stopped her from calling an alarm. Her eyes however, were constantly jumping back and forth between the princesses and the figure. "Uuhhmm..."

Celestia smiled at her uncertainty, "Yes?"

"...."

"Is something the matter captain?"

She finally caught herself, "Night guard captain Purple Haze reporting for duty!" she clapped her hooves together as she struck a pose.

Luna nodded, "Captain, we have an important mission for you. But first, we would like you to meet our friend Scar." At that the form in front of the fire suddenly grew even bigger and she recognized it had been sitting.

When it finally turned around and stepped up to her, she found herself looking up at two red eyes and huge teeth, "Shiny pony takes it to pony town."

"WHAT?"

"Big ponies say shiny pony takes it to pony town."

She looked at the princesses, "I don't think I understand."

Celestia levitated a scroll towards her; she read it, all the time keeping an eye on the huge creature. "Is this true?" she asked her princess.

Luna nodded, "He also scared away some timberwolves who had cornered the fillies. It seems they did not mention this though."

Purple Haze turned towards Scar, "So you're a gnoll?" he nodded, "And your name is Scar?" he nodded again, "A friend of the princesses and little foals is a friend of mine too. Pleasure to meet you, I'm Purple Haze."

Again, he only nodded, "Shiny purple pony."

PreviousChapters Next