• Published 10th Oct 2012
  • 758 Views, 12 Comments

Nightmare's Dream - J_Brett



Queen Chrysalis discovers a way to draw out Nightmare Moon and take on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 12
 758

Chapter 6: Training

Rainbow Dash flapped her wings again. The wind rushed passed her face and over her body as she climbed higher into the sky. Gritting her teeth and squinting her eyes, she dared to look below her. A small herd of Pegasi struggled to keep up, sweat soaked their coats, chests heaving.

Rainbow wanted to push them further but she opted out. She didn't want her trainees exhausted in case something happened tonight. She slowed and let the Pegasi catch up.

“Good work, soldiers,” Rainbow said. “Now, line up with a pumpkin, and dive.”

She took off, spotting her pumpkin, a tiny orange dot on the ground. Flattening her ears and folding her wings, she stretched her front legs. She closed in on the pumpkin, tail twitching, making small adjustments.

She knew there was a whole line of pumpkins on sticks made to look like ponies lined up on the ground, and a crowd of ponies gathered to watch the dive, but she blocked them all out, focusing on her own pumpkin

Closer.

Closer.

Opening her wings, she shifted, tilting her body toward the pumpkin pony. Her hooves burst through the head pumpkin, bits of stringy insides and seeds covering her front legs and chest. Wings stretched out, she flew a low loop-de-loop and aimed for the body, shouldering through the larger pumpkin, coat soaked with sweat and vegetable juices. She flapped backwards, stopping and landing on the ground. She turned just in time to see a few of the last pegasi hit their pumpkin ponies, splattering the crowd with orange mess.

“Yes!” Rainbow shook and leaped in the air, breathing hard. “Awesome! You guys are great. Clean up then see Applejack for bucking lessons.”

Trotting toward the Palace lake, Rainbow had ten minutes before she had to take the next group of Pegasi up in the air. This group was her third so far, and the ponies kept lining up. The information booths the Princesses set up worked like a charm. Their were ponies who refused to help, either too young, too old, or simply too scared. It irked Rainbow a little. Didn't they know what was at stake? Didn't they want to express their loyalty to the Princesses?

Rolling in the cool water, Rainbow gulp a mouthful and spat it out. It was mid afternoon, and though what little training had been done had been smooth, everypony was on edge. When this evil trio would strike was a mystery. It could be a week from now, it could be in the next ten minutes. As much as Rainbow wanted to make everypony a perfect soldier, there was no time.

“Rainbow Dash?”

Princess Luna's voice hit Rainbow's ears and she scrambled to her hooves. Water and pumpkin dripped off her as she stared at her Princess.

“I trust everything is going well?” Luna magicked some pumpkin seeds out of Rainbow's hair. “The ponies look very good.”

“Thank you, princess,” Rainbow bowed.

“I have spoken to the Griffin King,” Luna said. “I have explained everything to them and, while they will do all their own training, they are fully supportive of me and my sister. Also, the train from Ponyville is arriving as we speak, you will be receiving more ponies shortly. Keep up the good work, Rainbow Dash.”

Luna trotted away, back toward the palace. Rainbow wished she could take all the credit, but Applejack devised a rotating training system worthy of Twilight Sparkle. Applejack taught all ponies, whether they be Pegasus, Unicorn, or Earth pony, hoof to hoof combat. Kicking, bucking, head-butting. Rainbow taught the pegasi aerial attacks, and the others group formation and group attacks.

And Pinkie Pie put them through weapons training.

Sling shots, target practice. Rainbow had no idea what kind of makeshift weapons Pinkie could put together until the pink pony had access to different materials.

The griffins would help their fight as well. Excitement stirred in Rainbow. To fly and battle alongside Griffons would be fantastic.

And the train from Ponyville! More ponies meant more work, but also more soldiers. All morning the Princess Luna and Princess Celestia traveled around Equestria, setting up information booths and managing to keep everypony calm while casually recruiting any pony willing to help.

Rainbow shook herself dry and loped through the palace grounds, passing Applejack and her line of ponies all bucking pumpkin heads off vegetable animals. She slowed in front of her next group of Pegasi, ready to take to the sky.

“Alright, everypony,” she commanded. “Set up a pumpkin and warm up your wings. Let's fly!”

~*~*~*~

Twilight Sparkle marched behind the row of Royal Guards, stopping behind one at random. She tapped him on the shoulder and he stepped aside, allowing her access to the telescope pointed off the balcony. She peered through, gazing beyond the Canterlot city limit. Other than the train arriving and the occasional forest creature all was calm. It frustrated Twilight. She hated not knowing. Not knowing when, or even if, an attack would come. Not knowing if she was preparing the ponies properly.

She snorted and backed away from the telescope, leaving the Guards to their duties. A force field, similar to the one used at the Canterlot Wedding, shone over the city. It scanned every pony coming into Canterlot, detecting the special dark magic that Changelings used to mirror ponies.

Her thoughts drifted to Rainbow Dash, on the palace ground, training every pony. She and Twilight hadn't exchanged any more foul words to one another, which Twilight was thankful for. In fact, it had worked out perfectly. By splitting up, Twilight and her friends went to where their strengths lie, making Canterlot a wonderful stronghold. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie, three of the strongest ponies Twilight had met, were right at home on the front lines, in the middle of the training hub bub. While Twilight help with defense plans, Rarity with armor, and Fluttershy wandering the city, making sure everypony not fighting was in a safe place or re-located to one of the dozens of shelters erected around the city. Everything was truly running smooth, at least with everypony but the Princesses.

Celestia and Luna still snapped at one another when they were in the same room. Luna pushing to move whomever was ready to fight outside the city, searching for Chrysalis. Celestia, however, wanted everypony to stay in the guarded cities, only reacting when absolutely necessary.

Twilight and her friends had spent the better part of the day trying to keep the princesses busy and away from one another.

Twilight trotted down the spiral stairs into the palace, loping to the royal dress room to see Rarity. She'd been working on armor all day, measuring everypony from fillies to stallions.

Twilight paused as the door to the dress room opened. Princess Celestia stood on a platform in the middle of the room. Rarity rushed around her, fitting pieces of armor to the Princess's body.

A gleaming golden chest plate covered Celestia's front, connecting to shoulder plates, the design of the Solar Empire Rarity created embossed on the armor.

“Twilight Sparkle,” the princess greeted.

Twilight gave a small bow. “The armor looks great.”

Rarity backed up by Twilight, giving the Princess a once over.

“I wish I had more time,” Rarity scowled. “The design could use some improvement. At least it's strong.”

She lit up her horn and magicked hoof coverings on to the platform. Celestia lifted each leg, the golden covering fitting snug to each hoof.

“When shall I send in the other ponies for their fittings?” Twilight asked.

Rarity twisted the last hoof covering on Celestia. “Start with us. If Rainbow, Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy can spare a minute. Seeing them in armor will ease the other ponies worries, I believe.”

“Done,” Twilight walked over to a neatly stacked pile of dark blue chest plates, ready for Luna and the...what did Rainbow call it? Lunar Republic? Yeah, that was it. Twilight took a closer look at the design on the chest plate. A mare's head, back lit by a crescent moon, the mare's mane flowing behind.

The design was pretty, strong, and encompassed everything the moon princess was. Twilight turned and trotted out of the dress room, leaving Rarity to fuss with Celestia.

~*~*~*~

Fluttershy knocked on the door of the little sweets shop on the far side of Canterlot then pushed her way inside, the jingle bell sounding over her head.

“Hello?” She called, her voice barely drifting to the back bakery. “Anypony here?”

An older white pony, grey mane wrapped on a net, hobbled out of the side room. Fluttershy cleared her throat, making sure the old mare heard her. She'd hate to startle such a frail pony.

“Excuse me, miss?” She said. “But, there's a safe house just down the street. If you want to make your way down there, that would be really great.”

“I'm not going anywhere,” the old mare stomped her hoof. “This shop has been in my family for over fifty years.”

Fluttershy winced. All day she'd been moving ponies to safe houses, and most of them had been very accommodating, completely trusting the Element of Harmony. But, some ponies had to be gently persuaded, forcing Fluttershy to use her stern Animal Timeout voice to move someponies along.

Oh, why couldn't ponies just cooperate?

“Um, okay, miss,” she said. “Then I’m going to get some royal guards down here to secure your house. It won't look that bad. Some more locks, stronger windows. Um...it might just look rather nice.”

The old mare studied her then very slowly nodded her head. “Alright, young filly. You go get them guards. I'll be here.”

Fluttershy blew out a breath of relief and backed out of the shop. She grabbed the can of spray paint from her saddlebag and sprayed a yellow 'S' in front of the steps. Shoving the can back in the bag, she turned to the next shop.

Canterlot was still a busy city. Royal guards loped through the streets, looking for Fluttershy's marks, and making sure the city was completely secure. Pegasi soared the sky, keeping the force field from faltering. Fluttershy hoped there would be no war. Not just because she hated, and was slightly afraid of, fighting, but because war created so much destruction, and, along with the residents of Equestria, the animals would be just as affected. Their homes destroyed, and so much work to build them back up.

She wanted to support her friends, and the princesses of course, but she hoped they could work everything out without fighting, or even loud harsh words. But, if it came down to fighting, hopefully Rarity made a nice big shield for her to hide behind.

As Fluttershy approached the next shop, movement out of the corner of her eyes caught her attention. A tiny brown bunny sat in the middle of the road, nose twitching, head tilted.

Fluttershy blinked. What was a bunny doing this far into the city? Silly creature must've gotten frightened with all the commotion.

“Hey, little guy,” she said, slowly approaching the bunny. It let her get a few feet away, then it pivoted and hopped down a side street.

Ears pricked, Fluttershy trotted behind it, making sure it got safely to wherever its home was. Trotting soon turned to loping, following the bunny farther and farther to the edge of the city. She lost the guards and the houses grew further apart, all the residents moving inwards to safe houses. The bunny sped up and took a hard right, down an abandoned alley.

Fluttershy panicked. Not the alley! There was so many harmful things that could hurt a poor little bunny!

Fluttershy followed, skidding on the pavement as she turned. The bunny sat at the end of the alley, blinking at her, nose twitching. Fluttershy stopped, chest heaving, smile on her face.

“Good...bunny,” she breathed. “Now...to get...you to a...proper home.”

The bunny's ears flattened, eyes widening. It cowered away from Fluttershy. She lowered her head and crept forward.

“It's okay, little one,” she said. Then, on the pavement, a shadow stretched along beside hers. It looked like a pony, maybe one of the guards. Another shadow appeared on her other side. The stench of rotting flesh reached her nose and she sneezed.

Fear crept over her. Guards didn't smell like rotting pony. Worse case scenarios galloped through her mind as her front legs began to shake. More shadows appeared, the smell worsening. Gathering up as much courage as she could, Fluttershy slowly turned, ears flat to her head.

Horror spread through her, gripping her insides, choking her.

Five Changelings stood before her, fangs gleaming in the low evening light, aqua eyes shining.

No.

The only thought in Fluttershy's head.

No. No, no no.

How were they in the city? How'd they get past the forcefeild? What did they want from her?

They circled her, tails twitching, eyeing her, waiting for her to make a move. She couldn't. Frozen in fear, Fluttershy let out a little whine. What could she do? What should she do? Run? Oh, no way, she couldn't move.

Fight?

The mere thought made her shrink even smaller.

Talking?

Maybe talking would work.

“Please...” she squeaked. “Leave me alone.”

The bunny had hopped under her, hiding from the threat. Oh no! The bunny! She needed to protect the bunny too.

The Changelings exchanged amused looks and snickered, whinnying laughter at Fluttershy. It crashed through any remaining bravery she had left. Beneath her, the bunny trembled, catching the Changelings attention. The lead Changeling magicked the bunny out from under Fluttershy, holding it up, a wicked smile on his face.

Fluttershy felt her eyes widen. No. Not the bunny. They could attack her, yes. But not the bunny. She stood up, eyes fixed on the frightened creature.

“Leave him alone.” Her voice surprised her. It sounded strong, completely the opposite of what she felt.

The lead Changeling eyed her and snorted, then gave a violent shake of his head. The bunny flew sideways crashing into the wall of the alley. Its tiny back broke with a snap and it flopped to the ground, blood trickling out from its head.

At first Fluttershy felt nothing, like she was floating in water, then anger spread through her, replacing any fear she felt. Her nostrils flared and she shook her head, snorting, ears pricked at the lead Changeling.

“How dare you...”she growled. “He did nothing to you.”
How could they hurt an innocent little bunny? Were they that evil? What were they even doing in the city?

It didn't matter. They needed to leave. Now. And with no guards around, it was up to her. She'd show them that they couldn't bully anypony around. That she wasn't afraid of them. And, that they couldn't hurt innocent creatures without a serious repercussion.

She leaped forward, colliding with the Changeling, catching him by surprise. He reacted quickly, though, shouldering her off and pivoting. He landed a kick to her neck, sending her toppling sideways.

The other Changelings joined in, kicking and stomping at her. Fluttershy rolled and dodged, trusting her instincts. A hoof nailed her in the flank, sent pain shooting down her leg. Another landed on her stomach.

Pain came from all sides, knocking her back and forth, leaving bruises on her pale skin. She needed to get out of here, get away before they killed her. She extended her wings and flapped, flying above the Changelings, leaving the five of them in a tangled pile. The she dove, like Rainbow Dash taught her, hooves out.

A Changeling broke free, shaking itself. She made it her target. She flew closer and closer, then her hooves hit.

She smashed into the Changeling's head. Her hoof pierced its thin skin, cracking the skull underneath. Green blood splattered on her legs as she drove the Changeling into the ground. She hit, knees buckling, tumbling into the broken Changeling. Her weight cracked its ribs, tearing small holes in its flesh. She crashed into the wall, breathing hard, trying to right herself.

As she scrambled to her hooves, the other four Changelings surrounded her, jagged horns lit up, a green bubble slowly forming around her.

She froze, suddenly very aware of what just happened. Her rage settling back into fear. The Changeling at her hooves a mangled mess of skin, mane, and green sticky blood.

Horror spread through her. Had she done that? Killed this creature?

Yes, she had.

Her legs trembled as she looked at the other Changelings, seemingly unphased at their herd members death. The green bubble stretched closer to the ground, enveloping Fluttershy.

She needed to run, get away.

But she couldn't. The stink of burning flesh and hair made her stomach flip, and her legs were already tired from walking around all day, let alone the beating she just endured.

The bubble reached the ground and Fluttershy's world went dark.

Comments ( 2 )

Nooo! Fluttershy!

Kiiiiiiiinda saw Fluttershy's predicament coming, but that's from past reading experiences. It's always an "Ah crap, something bad is about to happen" moment. :twilightoops:

Really hope this continues! I'm looking forward to the battles and where everypony goes. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment