• Published 4th Oct 2023
  • 152 Views, 3 Comments

The Valley of Death. [EaW] - Sillything



(Based on the Equestria at War HOI4 mod.) A scared Mare has to hold the line an encroaching Changeling horde, without any familiar faces at her side.

  • ...
 3
 152

Serene Silence...

It was almost silent, nopony was around to disturb the dull air that filled the room. It was far too white for her taste, but Snowy Breeze was in no position to talk, and not just because she couldn't make any movements without being in incredible pain.

She had always hated hospitals, from the first time she was there for her sister's birthday, through countless accidents and "accidental" squabbles from said sister, all the way up to being in the room today.

Snowy would have fought to stay home to recover, but she had no memory of being walked to the hospital, she just woke up. According to the nurses, she'd been out for a while and was presumed dead. Apparently it was a miracle she even woke up at all after losing so much blood in a corpse-filled trench.

Unfortunately, she would never get that leg back properly, a prosthetic would have to suffice. If it meant not having to gun down anymore changelings, Snowy would gladly go along with whatever the doctors said.

For now, that meant laying in bed unable to move, or even sit up. She couldn't tell exactly, but one of the doctors mentioned a broken spine, and she thinks she heard them say her ears were irreparably damaged too.

Well, at least now she can say she's had a worse wound than her sister, if that's worth bragging about any...

And as if right on cue, before even finishing that thought, Snowy heard the familiar uneven clattering of Glacier Breeze hobbling into her room, still learning to walk on her broken hind legs herself. Instead of the usual confident and proud face she wore, the younger sibling looked worried but relived at the same time. Normally this would be a cause for concern, but considering the condition of both siblings, it was beyond fair to look that way this time.

The two looked at each other quietly for a moment, before Glacier hobbled over to Snowy's bedside and leaned against it, bringing the two the closest they've been since she had left to join the army.

Nopony knew what to say. What could they? There was so much to be said yet at the sake time they could read each other's eyes so well it was pointless to say anything. Finally, Glacier spoke up.

"Your eyes look darker, they've lost their shine, haven't they?"

After a moment of careful consideration, Snowy spoke up.

"I saw things, even in my short time out there, that I don't think I can ever unsee..."

"We both have, S. But it's over, you slept right through the declaration of victory, just like you sleep through everything else!" Glacier was trying her best to cheer her up by acting like nothing had happened, like the two mares were still in perfect health.

"Heh, guess you'll need to wake me up early next time we win a war."

"Damn right I will!... Sorry about your leg, it kinda makes me feel like I got off easy compared to you." Glacier couldn't keep the insincere act up, and her tone got serious faster than it ever had around her family.

"O-Oh, it's fine... I mean, you weren't the one that did it, and you got hurt too.... lets just call ourselves even." Snowy managed to stutter out a reply, but the sudden sincerity caught her off guard enough to distract her from the numbing pain in her leg.

"Yeah, I don't think I can beat you in this competition any more!"

There it was, Glacier never failed to end a sad topic on a happy note.

The two sat for hours, talking about what they saw and how much they missed one another. They both made a promise not to do anything stupid like this again, and not just because the hospital beds were uncomfortable.

Before long, Glacier was leaving the room and Snowy was left alone with her thoughts again. The only difference was that this time, she smiled as she fell asleep, full of warm thoughts for once.

Comments ( 1 )

great story mate keep it up cant wait for the next war story:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment