• Published 29th Oct 2023
  • 221 Views, 2 Comments

Fireworks - LittleFaerieFire



Sunset finds her way into Canterlot City, after having escaped from the Alicorn of the Sun herself. A truth that couldn't be changed. However, one that was far more simple could easily be altered. One flame continuously flickers even beyond Equestria

  • ...
 2
 221

Found in Fire

The scent of ash filled the air as I once more breathed in the remnants that drifted down from high above. The sun high above forever shone in its splendor even on this side of the portal. However, this Sun did not have a Princess Celestia of its own to guide it. I had managed to find a little about a potential counterpart, however. A mere principal was the supposed equal to the greatest being in all of Equus. Perhaps there was a true equal of hers within this realm that I was to inevitably find.

Even now I did not fully understand this strange land I had been lost in. In my desire to escape from my punishment at Princess Celestia’s hooves, I did not have the opportunity to study where the portal would lead me. In truth even knowing I would have been stuck in this realm ruled by bipedal descendants of apes, I likely still would have traversed the portal.

There was nothing left for me in Equestria. No pony wanted me to be there. I had all but tarnished Princess Celestia’s name with my constant string of failures. I couldn’t help but crack a smile at the thought. She would be horrified by what I was doing now. She had always mentioned whenever she thought that I was out of earshot, that I was far more volatile than any form of firework.

That didn't stop me from grabbing another from the pile I had acquired. Countless assortments of various brands that I did not care to read, littered the ground before me. Grabbing one of the red ones with a facsimile of a dragon imprinted upon it, I snapped my fingers and willed a spark to form. Smiling as the fuse was lit, and how soon after the air was filled with the sounders of explosions. The very air suffused with heat and smoke.

These creatures, Humans, were as ingenious as they were stupid. They had somehow discovered Magic itself, yet they had nearly collectively forgotten the mystic arts. Now most of their species believe it to be of myth and legend. No, now they as a species instead rely on a bastardized form of alchemical processes known as science. They were an embarrassment of a race of sentient creatures.

After I had gotten through the ordeal that was the reorientation to the new form I was in, I searched with those who were as blessed as I was. The disappointment I felt was quickly dispersed by the realization that I was one of, if not the only thing that could use magic. In Equestria, I was one of countless Unicorns, even if I stood at the peak of the herd. Here on this half primitive rock, I was the only one.

Perhaps there were a few remaining humans that managed to keep their knowledge of magic as the ages passed, but in comparison to one such as I, how could they compete? It was nearly a comparison between an Alicorn and a Unicorn. Only for the first time in my life, I was not the Unicorn in that sentiment.

The faint flames that littered the sky in my namesake faded. Idly I grabbed for another of the fireworks I had acquired. Setting it off with another mental flick. When I conquered this realm I would ensure those who continued to create these particular ones were treated well. That was for the future, however. A faint tinkling of one of my spells went off in my ears. Glancing to where the ward was broken I could see an almost pale blue human approaching me.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie has come to ask why you are setting off fireworks while the Sun is still out?” The human questions me not on why I was setting off the explosives but on the time I was setting them off. Here I thought that most humans were afraid of such things. Perhaps it was just the ones within the establishment that I had acquired the fireworks from? This human was smaller than the previous ones.

“Great and powerful you say?” I couldn’t help the amusement that flickered onto my face at the humans’ words. I doubted it was great nor was it powerful. The human's face strangely turned red with my words. I however recognized the gleam in its eyes, I would recognize that in any creature no matter its origin. Anger was something that I was innately familiar with.

“Yes! I am the Great and Powerful Trixie Lulamoon! Greatest Magician in the world.” The human all but shouts before it lets out what sounds like a cough. “In training.” It continues in a much less grandiose voice than before. Well, then it seems that good things do happen to bad ponies. “Do not think that the Great and Powerful Trixie did not notice you did not answer her question!” the human continued its shouting.

“Well, then Human, the reason I am setting these fireworks off is so that I can reminisce,” I informed the human as I contemplated if I should check the human's claim. Or would that frighten the human off if I was to cast a spell upon it? I knew nothing of this species' customs regarding magics. If this one was indeed a magician it would behoove me to at least pretend to follow its norms, for the moment.

“My name is Trixie Lulamoon! Preferably the Great and Powerful! Not human!” The human continued to shout even as my firework finished its display. Turning back to the pile of fireworks I grabbed one about to light it before I thought better.

“So you are named Trixie, Human?” The named Trixie swung its head so fast that I thought its head would fly off. “Would you like to light one of my fireworks?” The human visibly paused as it considered my thoughts before it once more nodded. Strange perhaps nodding was a shared visual representation of acceptance among ponies and humans. Handing the firework that I had grabbed to the human I waited for this so-called Trixie to light it. However, the human was just staring intently at me.

“Are you not going to provide Trixie with either a lighter or a match?” The human asked as it held out its other hand to me.

“You said you were a magician, can you not summon your own flame?” I couldn’t help the frown that formed on my new set of lips. This new body of mine was far harder to control than my previous one. The human before me I believe frowned, if I was reading its face correctly. Ponies and humans had numerous similarities but not everything was equivalent.

“I can’t summon a flame.” The human all but huffed out. “Give me what you were using to light…” The human’s words quickly trailed off as I held out my palm, with the flickering of a flame that danced within. “How are you doing that?” The human questioned its eyes somehow enlarging, what appeared to be a smile split its face in two as it took a large step toward me. I couldn't help the involuntary step I took back as I wobbled slightly on these so-called feet, hooves were much more stable. “Are you a magician as well?” The human asked its voice growing in pitch and volume once more.

“Of a sort, yes,” I informed the human before me. “Did you not claim to be a magician? Or does your magic not work well with fire?” I asked the human before me eagerly awaiting whatever information it would let spill.

“Trixie’s father states that Trixie is too young to be practicing with fire.” The human almost huffed out those words. Ah, I knew how troublesome guardians could be. Princess Celestia herself had prevented me for some time from diving into the particular realms of magic that I sought to study myself. Necromancy was a field that I unfortunately never managed to get too far in. Perhaps these humans would have the materials for me to continue my studies in that regard. One of the humans I had questioned before my acquisition of the fireworks had spoken of the Necronomicon, mayhaps I should be able to acquire it.

“That is unfortunate, perhaps when you are older your father will teach you how to control fire.” I attempted to commiserate with the human before me but instead, the human frowned at my words. I was being truthful of the elemental magics that seemed to be shared betwixt both Equestria and Earth, fire was the one that required the greatest will to control.

“Trixie looks to be the same age as you!” And the human was back to loudly exclaiming. “Trixie now realizes that you have not shared your name with Trixie.” Now the human was eyeing me. I rolled my eyes at the human’s rather pathetic attempt to get information from me. The nobles back in Canterlot would have eaten this one alive.

“Sunset Shimmer.” I gave the human my name before I continued. “How old are you?” I asked the human. I didn’t realize that there were differing age ranges for these humans. I had assumed that they simply had come in differing sizes. This failing of mine needed to be corrected before one of these humans could take advantage of it.

“Trixie is 12.” I frowned at the human’s answer. 12 years old and the human still wasn't allowed to practice with fire? I thought Princess Celestia was bad, however, this human father was easily worse! What if its spawn was attacked? I slowly made my way over to the human named Trixie. “Sunset, are you hurt?” The human asked as it frowned at my jerky movements.

“No, I am still getting used to having legs.” Human legs didn’t bend where they should, and it made the entire process of walking much more difficult than it needed to be. “I am sorry that your father has not permitted you to learn about fire-based magic. I too know of caretakers who prevent you from getting your hands on greater mysticisms.” The human looked confused but that was quickly replaced with a quick nodding of its head.

“Indeed Trixie's father can be too protective at times. Does he not realize that eventually Trixie will have to take over as the Great and Powerful Lulamoon?” Trixie complained as I nodded to its statement. I knew that sting all too well. However, it sounded like the father of this Trixie was still a mortal. I had dealt with an immortal Alicorn, who suffered no complaint in her rule.

Perhaps I could use this to my advantage. Even if this human wasn’t nearly as talented as I was it sounded like it was under the tutelage of a true magician. Even if it was being coddled by said magician I knew all too well that foals saw and heard things that they were not meant to. I offered my hand still filled with my dancing flames once more to this Trixie and it lit the firework off.

The human immediately ran and placed it down on the ground of the forest clearing I was within before retreating to my side. This human was one of the more intelligent ones that I had encountered in my short travels across this world. It already saw my magic and did not begin to blubber and shout about how the entire store was going to blow up. I could control my magic thank you. It also was a native of this strange realm, it could help me get oriented to my new domain before I conquered it.

“Tell me, Trixie, would you like to enter into an alliance with me?” I queried the human who had a smile on its face as it was watching the fire dance in the air. My question caused the human to turn to me with another smile that nearly split its face in two.

“You want to be Trixie's friend?” There was a miscommunication with my words somewhere, I wasn’t sure where, but that is not at all what I had asked. I was going to correct the human on such matters but it had already grappled me to the ground before I could register its attack. “Trixie will happily accept your alliance Sunset!” I still felt that there was a miscommunication going on but because I was still pinned by the human who was no doubt able to augment its physical capabilities with its magic.

“Thank you, Trixie,” I grumbled as the human kept writhing on top of me. I glared at the human and then proceeded to levitate it off of me before depositing it on the ground. The human was astounded at my showing of magic.

“Wow, you are much better than Trixie when it comes to levitation! Trixie didn't even notice that you had set up any strings to Trixie!” The human for some reason exclaims as it runs its hands over its body. Somehow it looked even more impressed after a few moments. “You must show Trixie how you performed such magic!” The human demanded as it pushed itself up and began to trot around me.

“It was a basic levitation spell.” I idly commented as I attempted to push myself up. It only took a few attempts that led to a quick failure and a stinging pain.

“Would you like the Great and-.” That was all the human got out before I cut it off.

“Yes.” I hissed out through clenched teeth. Thankfully the human understood the order well enough and pulled me up. It took me a second even when using the human as a brace to balance myself on the new appendages. Now the human was looking at me again. Its eyes were wide and almost expecting. “What?” I questioned as I finally let go of the human.

“You did not thank Trixie.” The human pointed out. I glared at it only for the human to glare back at me. A chuckle slipped past my lips, yes I truly had found one of the best humans that this realm had to offer. This one was not nearly as cowed at my might as the rest of its species had been.

“Thank you Trixie.” I thanked my alliance mate who seemed to almost preen at my words. This human was somehow worse than Philomena. “Shall we continue to set off the fireworks?" I asked the human who eagerly nodded. We spent the next few hours amusing ourselves with the explosions, discussing our preferred schools of magic.

The human Trixie was planning to become a specialist in illusions and misdirections which while not nearly as impressive as some fields, was a respectable field. Useful as well, as every pony needed to hide. I even managed to get the human to promise that it would enchant me, a cloak of invisibility when it learned how. Its father stood at the pinnacle of that field of magic. I would have to learn what I could from him before I began my conquest. While also swaying their clan to my side. It would be a shame to lose my first alliance mate.

While I informed my alliance mate of my plans for planar dominion. I felt a slight panging of fear when Trixie looked almost odd, but it passed when I informed her that she would be above all. Other than me of course. Eventually, we came to the last of the fireworks that I had acquired, I had attempted to light it off earlier but Trixie had claimed that it should be left for when night truly began.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie shall be a generous ally and allow you to light this final firework.” The human said even as it had desire leaking from its very being. I sighed as I grabbed one of its hands and pushed it around what I had learned was called a wrist, Trixie was a limitless fount of information regarding Human biology. Allowing a flame to spark I awaited for my alliance mate to light the final firework.

I did not have to wait long as the Human bared its teeth in a smile and pushed my hand forward lighting the final firework. It immediately set off in a brilliant blaze of light. I could only gasp in enraptured awe as I watched a miniature Sun be born at the cusp of dusk. “See why Trixie told you to use this firework last? The Little Sun should always be lit last.” I could faintly see the human that I had allied myself with nodding. I didn’t bother to respond as I continued to watch the brilliant display of flames dancing in the darkening sky.

Eventually, however, the darkness extinguished the light. Leaving only the two of us all by our lonesome. “Thank you for being Trixie's friend.” I heard the human whisper to me as the final embers began to fall from the sky. Turning to my alliance mate I could see the human staring at me.

“You have my thanks for joining my side in the inevitable conquest.” It would have been a shame to have such a well-connected creature on my enemy's side. It truly was a boon that I had managed to acquire one such as itself. The human called Trixie snorted but then broke out into a fit of giggles.

Eventually, however, the darkness of night held total dominion over the once-lit skies. “Well, then Human… Trixie.” I corrected what I was calling the human at her glare. “- shall we reconvene at dawn tomorrow?” Strangely Trixie looked at me in confusion, perhaps in the darkness I was missing something. Willing another flame into existence which bathed our bodies in its dancing light I could see the frown on Trixie’s face.

“Sunset, tomorrow is Monday, the Great and Powerful Trixie has school… Do you not have to go to school as well?” Hmm, that could be annoying if Trixie already had prior responsibilities, but nothing I couldn’t take care of with a well-placed blast of fire. Princess Celestia would be appalled, but she wasn’t here to admonish me. She would never come here after what I did to the portal. “Do you not go to school Sunset?” Trixie asked, interrupting my train of thought.

“Are humans meant to go to school on Mondays?” I questioned as I knew ponies had foals required to go to classes for a few years but afterward, it was not a requirement for most. At Trixie's nod, I found myself frowning with my new mouth. That would be an enormous waste of both my time and skills. Perhaps I could test out like I had within Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns? “Tell me, Trixie, is human school a requirement?” My question filled Trixie’s face with even more confusion but she still nodded. That was unfortunate for me, I would have to learn how to circumvent it.

“Sunset, do you have a home to go to tonight?” Trixie for some reason asked, her voice smaller and softer than its previous grand declarations.

“No, I still need to scope out a place to safely sleep. However, I am proficient with magical wards so I can easily set up my defenses.” Oddly Trixie seemed to grow more, what was it? Oh yes, concerned. Trixie pulled out a brick before it managed to open it, tapping on it with a slight clicking sound. Trixie then paused before she looked at me once more.

“Sunset, do you have someone watching over you right now?” She asked, her voice impossibly growing even smaller.

“Of course not, I don’t need any pony to watch over me!” I proudly declared. I had successfully performed every single spell I had ever attempted. I had personally received tutelage from Princess Celestia. I had managed to escape from her royal guards before they could imprison me. I had bested the Princess of the Sun herself and escaped through the portal before she could personally detain me. I heard another faint click.

“Hello, Father. Yes, Trixie knows she is in trouble. Yes, Trixie knows how late it is. No, Trixie would not like to have Trixie’s magic lessons put on hold.” Trixie for some reason began to speak into the opened brick. “Could you please come pick Trixie and Sunset up? No, Sunset is not a boy. Sunset is Trixie’s new friend!” Trixie pulled the brick away from its ear and looked almost expectantly at me. “My father, the Great and Powerful Artemis Lulamoon, would like to speak to you.” It spoke as it held the opened brick out towards me.

“Is the brick enchanted with a communication array?” I asked as I looked at the brightly colored brick. It seemed to have the shared numerical script along with a few symbols that I didn’t recognize inscribed upon it. Impressive work it must have been. This perfectly shows that Trixie must have been a part of the uppermost echelons of this world. At my words, Trixie sighed and pressed something on the brick.

“Father, Trixies has put you on speaker.” She announced to the air.

“Greetings Sunset was it? I am Trixie’s father.” A voice boomed through the air, emanating from the brick still held in Trixie’s hand.

“Greetings Master Artemis Lulamoon, I am Sunset Shimmer.” I introduced myself as I attempted to work out how much magic a spell like this would consume. Even without a visual connection, it must be rather expensive to maintain.

“Well, aren’t you a formal little thing? However, are you the reason that my little Magic Muffin has missed her curfew?” The box continued to boom.

“Trixie does not appreciate you sharing your nickname for Trixie, with Trixie’s friend!” Trixie announced as she pulled the box towards her mouth.

“Trixie shouldn’t be complaining or Trixie is going to not be learning any magic for a month.” The box intoned as I felt a pit in my stomach form. I knew how much it hurt not being able to continue learning magic. It almost felt as if you were burning away a portion of yourself. This would no doubt if not fracture my newly formed alliance at least strain it.

“Master Artemis Lulamoon I would like to humbly ask for leniency on my alliance mate’s behalf. I did not realize that Trixie had already been under oath to be by your side, during the time we had spent together. I beseech you to not prevent her from learning the finer intricacies of the arcane arts.” I pleaded for my alliance mate's ability to continue her tutelage. Trixie looked almost awestruck as I could faintly see tears welling up in her eyes. A booming laughter echoed from the brick before once more Artemis Lulamoon began to speak.

“Well spoken young Sunset. I can see why one such as you would have forged such a quick friendship with my daughter.” The box went silent for a moment before there was a flash of what sounded to be garbled noise that had me clutching the two flesh extremities that had protruded from my head. Perhaps they were the human's equivalent to ears? “I shall be there momentarily. I would ask that the two of you do not move before I arrive.” Then the brick went silent.

Trixie closed the brick back up before it launched itself at me. I attempted to dodge but once more my control over my new form proved to be less than satisfactory. I found myself on the ground slightly groaning as I was entrapped within my alliance mate's arms.

“Trixie, is there a reason you have restrained me?” I asked my alliance mate who seemed to be laughing and crying at the same time. Did using the communication array on the brick do this to her? If so that was a substantial drawback even for instantaneous communication. “Trixie, are you alright?” I asked my partner who did not respond.

I sighed and began to rework my teleportation spell to allow me to escape the confines of flesh that I had found myself caught within. Eventually, Trixie seemed to calm down but it still refused to let go of me. Her reasoning varied from answer to answer but the truth was somewhere between “You are Trixie’s best friend,” and “Trixie will not let you flee from Trixie.” I still had much to learn about how humans operated it seemed.

I was only halfway through reworking my teleportation spell by the time I heard a faint grumbling of one of the humans’ so-called cars. Trixie finally got off of me, grabbed me by my hand, and began to pull me toward the cars grumbling. My recent experiences with the so-called machines had me believing that the native humans knew not to run towards those infernal machines. However, Trixie seemed content to run through the brush towards the breathing of the car, pulling me along.

“Father! Trixie and Sunset are here!” Trixie returned to shouting, as I struggled to keep up with the human that was half dragging me with it. I would have to prioritize learning how to operate this body. It was getting slightly annoying having it fail to accomplish the tasks I wanted it to do. Thankfully Trixie stopped dragging me behind her, as such however I could not prevent myself from slamming into its back. Causing us both to tumble down the slight incline.

I groaned as I felt the various limbs of my new body impact both the ground and my alliance member who was quickly testing the limits of my patience. I could see a light, and I faintly remembered something about avoiding the light. Something like that.

“Trixie dear, I do hope your friend is fine.” The same voice from earlier spoke up. “Sunset Shimmer, are you alright?” I opened my eyes and could see what appeared to be an older human with the same base characteristics that Trixie had. Artemis Lulamoon more than likely.

“Still getting used to the human body.” I groaned as I pushed myself up. At least I attempted to, as all I succeeded in doing was getting barely a hoof off the ground. Thankfully the human that I was assuming was Artemis Lulamoon due to the way that Trixie was clinging to its leg, offered me one of its hands to help me up.

“Yes, these bodies of ours can be slightly complex at times. Now then do you have anyone that I can call for you? Perhaps a guardian of sorts?” The human asked as he looked down at me. Why was both it and Trixie so concerned that I was alone? I had magic at my hooves… Well, I guess fingers now.

“What do you mean by call? Are you referring to the enchanted brick that Trixie has? And no, I have no sort of guardian.” Not since I escaped her clutches. I felt a smile creep onto my face as I was once more reminded of how I had all but triumphed over the Alicorn of the Sun herself. How she had failed to keep me contained, and how I had inevitably escaped her encroaching hooves.

“Well then miss Sunset Shimmer if you would like you could come with my little Magic Muffin and myself to rest through the night.” Artemis Lulamoon, offered with what I could only call a bow. That would certainly make my life easier. It would also allow me to study how these humans interacted within familial units.

“I shall take you up on that offer, Master Lulamoon. ” Trixie’s alliance was providing me with plenty of benefits even if the human was not able to understand that I still was having difficulties with my new form. Artemis nodded and then proceeded to lead both Trixie and me to the still-purring car. Opening a metallic door for the both of us.

“Oh, there is no need to call me that, any friend of Trixies is a friend of mine. Artemis is more than fine.” He offered with an easy laugh.

“Trixie believes that Trixie can ride shotgun.” Trixie declared as her father sighed.

“Trixie should realize that even if Trixie can ride shotgun Trixie will not be riding shotgun.” Artemis slowly spoke. Even I realized that tone, it was one that a parent used to scold a foal that was still reaching for a cookie even after being caught with its hoof in the jar. Trixie glared at her father before she once more grabbed my hand and pulled me into the metallic beast with her.

Artemis gets in and I could feel the beast lurch before stopping. “Sunset, can you put on your seatbelt, please?” He asked as he turned around to face me. I frowned as I glanced at Trixie who sighed as she pushed me back and bound me to the beast's innards with a thin rope. “Thank you Trixie.” He thanked his daughter as leaned back to her side of the now-moving metallic beast.

“Can you at least turn the radio on for Trixie?” Trixie asked her father as she was all but fidgeting. Artemis then sighed as he moved one of the metallic dials and pressed a button with a soft metallic click.

“Canterlot City officials are still searching for the still unidentified bomber that had targeted our very own Canterlot High. Thankfully there were no deaths and or even any injuries when the bomber detonated their explosives at the base of the Wondercolt statue obliterating it in its entirety. We have here Principal Celestia herself to comment on the incident.” The voice from the radio prattled on, only really grabbing my attention when the human referred to the other end of the portal that I had destroyed.

“I am thankful that none of my students or faculty were harmed in this display of violence. While we were indeed lucky that no one was injured this was still an unprovoked attack that will scar those who had thought themselves next. I am hoping whoever performed such a terrible deed will come to realize that all actions have consequences.” A voice that could have easily come from Princess Celestia herself spoke. However, I knew that it was the only pointless whisperings of her powerless counterpart. One that I had escaped from with much more ease than the Equestrian Princess.

“Thank you, Principal Celestia, I know all of us at Canterlot Central Broadcasting are hoping for a quick reconstruction of the school so that the current Wondercolts can finish out their school year in peace. That said if anyone has any information pertaining to the identity of the Canterlot High bomber we urge that you contact the local police office or submit an anonymous tip.” The voice continues, but Artemis turns a dial on the middle section of the car.

“What a day first this explosion at Canterlot High School and I even heard that a child threatened to blow up a firework store.” Artemis sighed out. Trixie paused from her twitching to stare at me. What? I didn't threaten anything. I would have blown up the store. That wasn’t a threat at all. They didn’t accept the bits that I tried to pay with. That wasn’t my fault.

“Was that you?” Trixie questions as it leans over towards me, its voice a whisper.

“I tried to pay for them but they wouldn't accept my bits,” I whispered back with a shrug. I could see the star that formed in Trixie's purple eyes as she digested my words. Eventually, Artemis found a so-called station that Trixie liked. I instead looked out one of the windows at the moon without any markings of the mare upon its surface.

A world not of my own. No, one that I would make my own. I couldn’t contain the glee that those thoughts gave me. Even when Trixie began to annoyingly demand that I show Artemis some of my magic. I sighed and summoned an orb of fire.

Author's Note:

Well, it has been a hot moment since I last touched this site. I have nothing to say other than during the time I have been away I have potentially done the following: heard a cat sing, thrown a chicken off a waterfall, and hid a body. That aside I will be returning to my work on all my stories so do look forward to that. Mirror Mirror will be fun to get back into the swing of things.

Back to this tale however this was my first true Equestrian Girl story in which it started with the initial contemplations of when exactly Sunset went through the portal and the mechanics of her survival in the human world. Then I further thought of the simple if not consequential change of her still having access to her magic at her hooftips-fingertips. With that, I began to once more write. A spark was struck, a firework lit, and Sunset makes an alliance with Trixie. A pair that is always amusing together.

Credit for this general interpretation of Artemis Lullamoon is the Long Road to Friendship.

Comments ( 2 )

Credit for this general interpretation of Artemis Lullamoon is the Long Road to Friendship.

Ha! I knew it!

I have mixed feelings about this story. I think the premise is good, if not that original. You had some cute moments between Sunset and Trixie as well. My biggest issue is that the characters feel a bit out-of-character in terms of their dialogue and the narration. Sunset speaks much too formally, even considering her background, and this makes the prose feel a bit awkward. Adding to the awkwardness is the mechanical issues throughout. I think this could have been much better if you had done a bit more proofreading to help you iron out the kinks.

Login or register to comment