• Published 23rd May 2023
  • 809 Views, 4 Comments

Everypony Forgets Anon’s Birthday - KrispiestKompany



Anon discovers none of his friends remembered his birthday. All except one, of course.

  • ...
2
 4
 809

Everypony Forgets Anon’s Birthday

Forgive me if this sucks, I’ve never written a story before.

I arise from my slumber and stretch, feeling a few joints pop as I yawn happily. It was another picture perfect day in Ponyville, and the evidence lay with the view from my window: rolling green hills, the Everfree Forest, and the thatched terraces of the town centre off in the distance.


I’m a human. I arrived here in Equestria almost two years ago, by means of which I cannot begin to explain. That was of no concern to me, however, as I’d settled into life pretty well after an initial rough few months. A story for another time, perhaps?


Either way, I was a little excited. Why, you ask?


It was my birthday.


I walk to my Rainbow Dash signed calendar, which Rainbow Dash had “kindly” gifted me on Hearth’s Warming Day (this is basically Pony Christmas, for anyone confused).


On the 22nd May, there were little balloons I’d drawn around it, and i cross the day off happily.


Birthdays were well-celebrated here in Ponyville, with all the credit going to the happiest bundle of pink fur in all of Equestria - Pinkie Pie! She knew everyone’s (or I should say everypony) birthday, and her parties were always eventful.


Wanting to get my day started, I go to shower, shave and get dressed. My mood is chipper, and I decide to treat myself to breakfast at Sugarcube Corner. Perhaps Pinkie would detail her plans for tonight with me!


As I live quite a way’s out from Ponyville, it takes me about half an hour of walking before I arrive at Sugarcube Corner. The usual glances and stares have all since gone during my time amongst the ponies, and they’ve all grown used to me.


I wait in line, before meeting the pink menace at the counter.


“Good morning, Anon!” Pinkie squeals happily. My face lights up immediately, always loving her enthusiasm, even this early.


“And a good morning to you, too!” I smile, and wait expectantly for the yells of “happy birthday!”… but she just stands there, behind the counter, smiling at me.


After a moment, her smile softens, and looks almost a touch.. awkward?


She looks side to side, before looking back to me. “Um… did you want to order something?” She raises an eyebrow, her awkward smile still present.


I feel a little crestfallen… had she forgotten? Surely not! Perhaps she’s just a little too busy at the moment? I was causing quite the line.. with a few ponies looking annoyed with me.


I gulp, and look apologetically at Pinkie before making my order, and heading out the cafe.


Weird… Pinkie is usually always excited for birthdays… she even held one for a pigeon that nested in my chimney once. The more I think on it, the more I begin to wonder if she genuinely forgot my birthday.


My thoughts are interrupted however as I’m walking through town, as I bump into Rainbow Dash - literally. My thoughts were so consuming that I’d accidentally bumped into her, almost spilling my coffee.


“Whoops, sorry Dash!” I apologise, checking my paper coffee cup for any potential spillage.


Rainbow Dash shakes her head with a smile. “Don’t sweat it, Anon!” She replies happily. Despite her tough exterior, she was a rather sweet mare at heart. She looks at me for a moment, before continuing. “So, where’re you off to? Off to build a roof? A shed? A shelf?” She giggles. I laugh in return, my job as a carpenter in this town meant I spent most of my days hammering two pieces of wood together.


Not today though, it was my birthday! No work for me.


“Oh, nothing much. I was just taking a walk. I’ve got nothing planned today…” I trail off, waiting for Dash to mention those two words “happy” and “birthday”. I didn’t even care which order she said them, as long as she said it.


She looks at the ground for a moment, before her face lights up.


“Oh, Anon! How could I forget!” Yes! She remembered! My heart fills with joy. My joy increase as she flies up and gets close to me. Was it a hug? A hoof bump?


She instead holds her hoof out. A low five, perhaps?


“You still owe me 5 bits from last week.”


Ah. I did indeed.


My face drops again, the smile that plastered my goofy human face was all but gone.


“Oh… y-yeah of course.” I hand her the bits I owed, and her made her thanks, before flying off… the wind thus knocking my coffee over.


I stand there a moment, looking at my spilled coffee. 2 of my 6 friends don’t remember my birthday? That was a little hard to take.


I guess it was my fault. I never made an effort to remind anybody. I just assumed they.. knew. I sigh, and continue my walk, feeling a bit more down than before.




My walking leads me to the Golden Oak Library, which also happened to be the residence of Ponyville’s biggest brainiac - Twilight Sparkle.


I invite myself in, as is customary, to find the door a little difficult to open. Peering in, I see stacks of papers everywhere.


I call out a standard “Hello?” and am immediately greeted by Spike.


“Hey Anon.” He greets, and I bend down to give him our customary fist bump.


“Hey, Spike. Is Twilight around?” I ask, peering through again to spot the purple mare amongst the stacks of papers and quills.


Spike nods, “Yup. Good luck talking to her, though. She’s up to her mane in research. I doubt she’ll even respond if you tried to talk to her!”


I nod slowly, feeling a bit more down. Even if Twilight did know it was my birthday, she was far too swamped with her studies. Spike seemed to not know either.


I mutter a goodbye and turn back for home, feeling rather dejected. I don’t even bother to visit Applejack or Rarity, not wanting to experience more disappointment.


I pass Fluttershy’s cottage en route home, and I smile. I was good friends with Fluttershy… maybe she remembered? However, a brief bit of hope I feel is quickly shattered as a note on her door reads “Gone shopping!”


I sigh, and continue my way home. Shortly thereafter, I arrive and head straight to the fridge to grab a cider. It was only 12pm, but I had to celebrate somehow, right? Besides… it was 5pm somewhere in Equestria.


I slump in my recliner chair and stare absentmindedly at my fireplace. No television in this world, so I’m stuck with reading the small print on the label of my cider bottle.




My empty thoughts are interrupted as I hear a gentle knock on my door. Not anticipating company, I get up and open the door. Looking down, I am greeted with perhaps the most adorable sight in history.


It was Fluttershy. She was standing at my door, looking up at me with those big blue eyes. In her mouth was a small envelope with a heart drawn on the centre. She had a party hat adorned on top of her head, and a small cake was between her front hooves.


She gestures up to me, nonverbally asking that I take the card from her mouth. I do so, and I open it.


‘Dear Anon,


Happy birthday! It’s not every day a human turns 26 now, is it?


I hope your day is as wonderful as you are.


Lots of love,


Fluttershy x’




I feel myself tearing up as I read the card. The message is short, but it has so much meaning behind it. Before I get chance to cry, I am suddenly aware that Fluttershy has three little birds on her back. She clears her throat, and speaks in that soft voice I knew and loved.


“Alright, my little birdies, just as we practiced…”


And then, the birds begin to whistle the well-known tune of ‘Happy Birthday to You’, and Fluttershy begins to sing.


“Happy birthday to you,


Happy birthday to you,


Happy birthday dear Anon,


Happy birthday to you!”


Like her card message, it was short but sweet. I feel my heart melt, and my eyes water.


Fluttershy notes this, but doesn’t falter in her smile. She instead pushes the cake toward me with her snout.


“Happy birthday Anon.” She says, that adorable smile still on her face.


I stand there, shocked. Not only did she remember my birthday, but she remembered how old I was too.


I hold back my tears, and I kneel down to the cake, picking it up.


“Fluttershy… thank you… so much.” I feel my voice breaking. The sentiment was too much for me. She places a hoof on my arm and just smiles at me, as if she was aware of the day I’d had.


I stand up, and step to the side of my door.


“Do you wanna share this cake with me?” I ask, a smile on my face.


She nods happily, her eyes closed in delight. “I’d love nothing more…” she then looks to the three birds on her back. “Oh, can they have some too?”


I nod happily. “Of course they can. They deserve it after such a wonderful performance.”


And with that, I invite them inside.


Sometimes it’s just the little things that make life worthwhile.

Author's Note:

Just a nice little story I thought up. Hope you enjoyed!

Comments ( 4 )
MJK

Cute little story, while not checking is understandable getting brushed off the extra two times might have drove point harder. It seems like there's too much space between lines and that some of the sentences could be squashed into a single paragraph. An alright job for your first story.

I think I got cavities from this story.

I wonder how'll the others will react once they realize that they forgot Anon's birthday?

Login or register to comment