• Published 24th Apr 2023
  • 1,284 Views, 6 Comments

The Sound of Rain - RunicTreetops



As you sit with Celestia on a cozy cabin porch, you ponder the sound of the rain.

  • ...
4
 6
 1,284

The Sound of Rain

Author's Note:

Some simple, cozy fluff that I couldn't resist writing. For maximum effect, try playing some comforting rain sounds while you read!

As always, I appreciate any and all feedback!

You take a gentle sip from the small cup of green tea in your hand, enjoying the aroma as steam silently drifts over your face. You close your eyes as you do, allowing whatever tension that had been built up in your muscles melt away before setting the cup back down on the small table beside you.

It was a few days ago now that your wife, the now-retired Celestia, suggested taking a vacation to her private mountain cabin for a few days. You didn't even know she had such a cabin, but the prospect of visiting it sounded appealing. It's the middle of summer, and a relaxing getaway like that was just what you were needing. A few days and some light packing later, the two of you made your way into the Smokey Mountains, where the cabin awaited you.

The cabin really isn't all that big. There is one main living space with a few comfortable sofas and chairs, with no walls separating said living space from the pristine kitchen. Apart from the main space, there is a closet, a bathroom, and a single bedroom with a particularly comfy bed. Tia always has been particular about her beds.

At the moment, however, you are sitting on a wooden porch swing outside of the cabin. Indeed, the cabin has a porch on its front side, with the protective covering sticking out from the cabin itself by about eight feet. The furnishings on the porch are rudimentary. On one side of the door there are two wooden chairs separated by a small table, upon which rests a chessboard. The pieces very clearly show a one-sided victory, reminding you of the thorough thrashing your wife gave you earlier today. You suppose she wouldn't have been a very competent leader had she not been good at strategizing.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the door, a porch swing hangs from the wooden covering, gently rocking forwards and backwards with a slight squeaking noise as you relax on the right side of it. A small table to your right holds your half-finished tea, and a warm light drifts through the window behind you, illuminating the space around you just enough to make out the outlines of trees in the darkness.

It's about ten at night right now, with a mild rain passing through the area. You aren't sure exactly what compelled you to come out here at this time, but here you sit regardless. It's... nice.

Your thoughts are interrupted by the sound of the door opening next to you, Celestia emerging from the cabin and greeting you with a smile. You happily return it as she takes a seat in the spot next to you on the swing, neither of you needing to say a word. Her mane, which usually flows with a regal grace, is currently hanging down past the bottom of the swing, nearly touching the floor. Between that and the slightly moist texture of her pristine snow-white coat, you figure that she just finished using the extremely fancy bathtub adorning the cabin's bathroom. She has a light blue robe draped lazily over her shoulders, with her massive wings sticking out of a couple of conveniently placed slits in the back. With a chuckle she levitates your teacup towards her mouth, finishing off the last of the warm drink before handing it back to you. You give her another smile before placing the cup back on the table.

The two of you look out beyond the porch. The view is spectacular during the day. From this porch, you can see for miles and miles. On clearer nights, you can just barely make out the distant lights of Vanhoover on the horizon. Tonight, however, the sky is dark, with the rain preventing you from seeing much farther than the treeline that rests perhaps a hundred feet from the cabin. You don't really care, though. The rain is beautiful in its own way.

You watch as the rain coalesces near the corners of the porch, causing water to flow down like a gentle waterfall onto the grass below. The gentle light coming from the window behind you occasionally catches the water at just the right angle, allowing the water to sparkle with a pure clarity that could only come from Equestrian water. As that flowing water hits the newly formed puddle in the grass, you start to turn your attention to the sound of the rain hitting the porch.

Of course, the sound of rain isn't new to you, nor is the concept of listening to the rain for the sake of relaxation. Heck, you've done it before. And yet, something about being here now feels... different. It doesn't feel like you're escaping your worries, it feels like... you never had any to begin with.

Hm. Maybe you don't.

You ponder what your life used to be long, long ago. Back before you got isekai'd into this world, you were painfully average. You didn't have any particularly impressive skills, nor did you have any major ambitions to strive for. You were making ends meet, sure, but is that really living? Back then, if you were at a cabin like this, listening to the rain, how would you react? Well, if you had to imagine, you would probably do your best to live in the moment, trying to forget the stresses of your job, or your bills, or what horrible disaster was going to strike next. It would be a wonderful hour or two, but then the rain would stop, or your eyes would grow heavy, and that peaceful moment would come to an end. All at once, you would be brought back to reality, and the sound of rain would be the last thing on your mind. But... what about here?

This new life of yours has been a turbulent one. Being a human amongst a swarm of candy-colored ponies, dragons, and whatever the heck Discord is was definitely an adjustment. And yet, the warmth and kindness that these creatures showed you made you feel like less of an outsider than you did when you were living amongst humans just like you. Of course, Tia played a major role in that, and after years of going on adventures, dealing with magical mishaps, and learning about the "magic of friendship," you really built a nice life for yourself here. You run a business, you own a house, and most importantly, you found the love of your life. And she actually likes you back! Not to mention that she is perhaps one of the strongest creatures in Equestria and her wealth and status means that you get to experience luxuries like this very cabin, but that's honestly an afterthought. With all of that in mind, what are you trying to escape from? As the pitter-patter of raindrops continues to soothe your senses, you take stock of everything that has stressed you about Equestria.

Well, first and foremost, losing your old life in an instant was extremely hard on you. It took you months to really get over it, but with Tia's insistence on learning about your original home, you grew to appreciate both the good and the bad that you left behind. There are a few people that are likely wondering what happened to you to this day, and you cannot deny that you will carry that weight for the rest of your life. But, you've had more than enough time to come to terms with the fact that there is nothing you can do about it. For now, you simply choose to believe that everyone is doing great without you. Heh, maybe "the magic of friendship" will do its thing and help out the friends you left behind because you believe in them. Wouldn't that be nice?

Let's see, what else is there? Well, your business is going strong, and because Equestria is so much nicer than your old world when it comes to laws and regulations, there really isn't any worry about your business going under. Ponyville being such a tight-knit community makes you even more confident in this fact. You don't need to worry about your relationships either, since some of your closest friends are literally the embodiment of the Elements of Harmony, and your wife is currently sitting next to you with the same level of warmth and love that she showed you when you first became a couple. No one you know is sick, there isn't any major political discourse going on in Equestria, and unless some other villain out to destroy the world shows up (which, as you've learned by now, can almost certainly be dealt with thanks to the power of friendship anyway), everything is going to stay peaceful for the foreseeable future.

So... what do you need escapism for? You're already getting to enjoy a peaceful and prosperous life that most people you used to know will likely never even imagine experiencing.

The creaking of the slowly rocking swing slows momentarily as Celestia leans on you, resting her head on your shoulder (being careful to avoid poking you with her horn) and wrapping one of her large wings around you, pulling you in close. As per usual, she's running a bit warm, which just adds to the comfort of the evening. After you hear a yawn escape from her, she finally breaks the silence.

"The sound of rain never fails to soothe me. Especially in places like this."

"...Yeah, I know what you mean."

"It's not like you to be so quiet. Lost in thought?"

"Something like that, I guess." The two of you sit in silence once more, enjoying the ambience for a bit longer before you continue. "Hey, um... this might sound strange, but... do you have anything that you can't help thinking about at times like these?"

"Well, I guess that depends. What do you mean by 'times like these?'"

"Like, whenever you should be as calm and cozy as possible, are there any worries that you just... can't get out of your head?"

"Hmm... You know, if you had asked me that a few years ago, I could have given you a list of problems so long, it would take us all night to cover it."

"Well, what about now?"

"Now? Between my retirement and, well, getting to be with you, I think... I think I'm okay."

She gives you a warm smile, one which you happily return.

"...Yeah. Yeah, me too."

For a while the two of you simply enjoy the moment, snuggling up next to each other while the swing gently rocks back and forth. Eventually, Tia speaks up once more.

"It's starting to get late. Do you want to head inside?"

She turns her head to look at you, her earnest magenta eyes locking with your own.

"...Just a few more minutes."

She closes her eyes and leans forward a bit more, her lips meeting your own. There, the two of you sit in what might be the most peaceful moment of your lives and listen to the sound of rain.

Comments ( 6 )

Lovely, simply lovely. I feel so warm now. Thank you.

"...Just a few more minutes."

...sweet, sweet peace...

Oh yeah, the rain sounds helped make this WAY better than if I read it in complete silence :twilightsmile:

I absolutely love this story. As a rain appreciator myself, this really speaks to me. I listen to rain ambience every single day and constantly pray for the forecast to be rainy. It's comforting to know I'm not the only person who loves the rain. Being constantly surrounded by people praising the warm weather and classifying rainy weather as "bad" is extremely tiresome. Thanks so much for this. Instant favorite.

Short and sweet, nothing more and nothing less! In other words, perfect!

Login or register to comment