• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 449 Views, 15 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Lovely New Pegasus - No one is home



Back East, the Lightbringer brought the Day of Sunshine and Rainbows. Here in the Marejave life goes on right until it don't no more for one star crossed Courier.

  • ...
4
 15
 449

The Road to Fort Friendship Pt. 3

“Wow, I had the weirdest dream last night.” I stretch as I stand up, and Sweets adjusts her position on my back, and I take in what looks like the interior of a mid-size wooden shack containing a dirty mattress, a table with an old brass lantern, and large puddle of urine with an uncomfortable amount of colagulated blood in it. The walls are a combination of scrap wood and cardboard. I don’t know if this is a make shift rest stop, or if I just passed out in somepony’s home. And possibly pissed on their floor. I’m not sure if that’s mine…

“That’s your’s, sugarcube.” Jackie emits a frustrated sighing noise. “Look, me and Sweet-E talked last night. And we’re worried about you.”

“Do not place string variables into my audio outputs! I support Error! No Name! UNCONDITIONALLY!” I can always count on Sweets. “If he wishes to avoid confrontation with his past by drinking himself into oblivion and passing out in a random shack on the side of the road while black out drunk, I support him!”

I’m not sulking. “I’m mature enough to admit that I might have gotten drunk, broke into somepony’s shack… and I might have urinated on the floor.”

“You did exactly that.” Jackie unhelpfully points out as I make my way to the door.

“I support your completely accurate account of events!” It stings worse because Sweets isn’t being passive aggressive. She honestly supports my decision.

“Okay… well, are we at least almost to Fort Stupid Name?” Thank Celestia’s Flank the shack was at least right by the road.

“We’ve got maybe six more hours by hoof I reckon.” Jackie is making a rather cross face at me. “I’m less concerned with the drinkin’ honestly than I am with you dodging the subject of that stable you came from.”

“I didn’t come from a stable, Jackie. I came from a settlement north of Boulder City.” Jackie’s a good bot, and a good friend. I know she means well, but can’t she get that I don’t talk about…

“Stable 11 is a Stabletech shelter facility southwest of Fort Friendship, and north east of the settlement of Novac.” The little metal traitor on my back proclaims in cheerful autotune.

“You are out of line Sweet-E 978!” I snap angrily. “I am withdrawing all your friendship points! You are a bad Faithful Cybernetic Companion!”

“Nooo!” Sweet’s mournful cry triggers instant regret.

“That was uncalled for sugar cube!” Well now I know what Jackie’s actual angry face looks like.

“I am a worthless failure and the only pony who has survived my friendship hates me!” My ears flatten against my head at the sound of Sweets melodic sobbing.

“I… I didn’t mean it Sweets!” And now I’m crying. So many regrets I only half remember pouring across my brain. I swear I don’t hate you Sweets. I love you to metaphorical pieces! I would never take away your friendship points. You’re the best Faithful Cybernetic Companion! I just… Y’all don’t understand what that place was like… what it did to ponies. Out of all the memories Checker’s shot out of my brain, why did he have to miss those memories.”

“Apology accepted.” Sweets replies with an autotuned sniffle. “But I am very cross with you! You hurt my emotional emulation subroutine, and I will remain cross with you until you find a way to make up for this affront to our enduring FRIENDSHIP!”

“Six, I understand this is a powerfully hurtful thing we’re bringin’ up.” Jackie takes a more understanding but still quite stern facial expression on her screen. “But we’re your friends and we’re only trying to help. That said, lashing out at Sweet-E like that is crossing a line. I ain’t made no secret that I ain’t comfortable with her hacking into your brain the way she has, but she ain’t shown you nothin’ but affection and loyalty.”

I feel like a first class heel. “You’re right… you both are. Look, Novac was our next stop anyway. How about after we make this delivery, we cut cross country and… I’ll take you to the stable. I’ll let you both see it for yourselves.”

“That would… are you sure you’re okay with that?” Jackie’s face-scream flashes to concern. “I’ve heard you ranting in your flashbacks… are you sure you ain’t gonna start shooting up the place?”

“Trust me Jackie.” I hang my head so low I’m kicking road dust in my own muzzle. I choke back a sob and swallow a mixture of bile and shame. Old shame. “It’s about twenty years too late for that.”

Author's Note:

They are on the road to Fort Friendship, yo! :pinkiecrazy: