• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 449 Views, 15 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Lovely New Pegasus - No one is home



Back East, the Lightbringer brought the Day of Sunshine and Rainbows. Here in the Marejave life goes on right until it don't no more for one star crossed Courier.

  • ...
4
 15
 449

Flashback! Pt 3

“Now you listen to me, Miss… Princess was it?” Boss lady saddles up the bar next to me favorite bubble-gum colored zony. Hard to say if she thinks I’m too far into my bottle, or if she just don’t care if I’m listening. “I don’t know what interest you got in Six, nor what interest you might be thinkin’ he’s got in you…”

“Ewww! It’s not like that!” Princess nearly chokes on her shot. It’s so adorable she uses a shot glass. “He’s old! Like really old… like fifty, or something!”

“Ain’t no business o’ mine, no way.” The old gray nag shrugs. “Just raised my curiosity is all. If he had caps to pay a hired gun he’d buy himself some real clothes instead of wearing that ridiculous second hoof Stable jumpsuit, so you ain’t in it for the caps. I’m just looking out for you, young lady. Six is a good enough pony as the wasteland goes. But he was always mean as a snake and sneaky as a cat, even before he got half his brains shot out.”

“He passed through about a week ago, with a couple of Khan mercs and some big-shot from the strip. The one he calls ‘Checkers’.” Princess shakes her head and I get back to my bottle, I know this story. “Next mornin’ found out Jackie’d done dug ‘im outta shallow grave and took him to Doc Hitch All. I thought that was the end of it, right there.”

-?-?-?-?-?-

It always comes back to this. That big door closes and they think they’re nailing my coffin, but in the end they were the ones that buried themselves. I stood in the full light of Celestia's Marejave sun, and she judged me. I was always free to leave the stable. We all were.

I don’t know how long I wandered with the freedom to die of exposure before I found other ponies. By then I was a naked beggar. Another sad pony swearing he was thrown out of his stable. Every beggar wanted to be the new “Light Bringer”. Without a Stable Suit. Without a Pip Buck.

It’s easy when you don’t really care if you survive. It’s easy when you don’t know what motivates you. It’s easy when you walk in ready to justify yourself. They buried themselves, and left me to live with it. I was going to dig up their grave. Take away their rest, and bury them one more time. It takes three graves to lay ‘em to rest proper.

Hell is remembering exactly where you come from.

That was a long time ago.

-?-?-?-?-?-

“We are taking a guided tour of the museum!” I’m not sure when Sweet-E started riding me like a cart and pronking on my back. But I guess we are taking the tour.

“I’m just pleased as punch ya’ll wanna take the tour!” Tex the ponitron is very clearly happy to do his robot thing. “Starlight Glimmer was quite the glamorous folk anti-hero in her day! She was a symbol of Mareave independence well before the great war.”

I don’t know if that ponitron’s name is “Tex”, but I am always going to call him that now. I plod behind the old ponitron as he gleefully tells his tale. “It all started with a little filly’s best friend being recruited into Twilight Sparkle’s Ministry of Arcane Technology…”

Author's Note:

The postmaster pulls Princess aside for a little chat about Courier Six, who for his part slowly works through his brain damage. :pinkiesad2: