• Published 11th Dec 2022
  • 553 Views, 26 Comments

Rumble's Offbeat Yet Tender Romance - Daemonabacus



Rumble doesn't like cutie marks or destiny; but after he meets Tender Taps Rumble learns that destiny isn't half that bad.

  • ...
18
 26
 553

A Poster with Pizzazz

Rumble made his way through Ponyville with new determination in his heart, today he was going to get things done!

First, he would make amends with Cheerilee. Even though she’s wrong, disappointing his teacher wouldn’t get him any good grades, now would it? Next he would tell Scootaloo—and by extension her friends—that he wasn’t interested in any romantic relationships right now. It’s not you, its me… ya’ know?

Finally, once all the school shenanigans were taken care of, he could get to the important part: go help Tender Taps and keep his promise. Rumble smiled at that.

Yeah, everything would work out just fine.

Huh.

As much as Rumble disliked admitting it, Thunderlane—in his own way—had given him… clarity.

But before Rumble could give that upsetting realization any more thought, three fillies halted his entry into the Schoolhouse. Not surprised or at all amused, Rumble gave them a look-over and sighed internally.

Scootaloo stood dead center in front of him, smiling manically and… sweating? Eww.

Flanking her on either side, where her friends Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. Both of which seemed expectant of… something.

Well, the faster I get this over with the better.

“Ah-hem.”Apple Bloom broke the ice by clearing her throat, “Good-mornin’ Rumble, how are ya?”

“Uh, I’m fine. Thanks for asking. How about you three?” Rumble replied, as impartial as he could.

“Oh, its such a lovely day,” Sweetie Belle interrupted awkwardly, “just the sort of day for… lovely things!”

Scootaloo, despite her smile, seemed to grow tense; her eyes wandered off desperately between the floor or the sky. Apple Bloom gave Scootaloo a shove, “Yeah, it is. Perfect weather fer… scooter-tricks too, ah would imagine. Say Rumble, have you ever seen Scoots do any tricks?”

“I think I have, actually. I-”

“But have you watched her preform? Her rolling around is different from her preforming!”

“Oh ya! BIG difference.” Sweetie Bell added with a nod.

“Uh, well, in that case, no?” Rumble didn’t know where the CMC where taking this but he was eager to skip whatever this nonsense was nonetheless; he tried thinking of how to Segway the conversation, maybe bring-up Hearts and Hooves Day?… Ugh.

Apple Bloom, meanwhile, put a fore-hoof around Scootaloo’s neck. “Say, Scoots... why don’t ya show us-all one of your new routines! Ya work so hard on those! I’m sure Rumble would enjoy it, since he loves the Wonderbolts and sports so much!”

Scootaloo gulped down on her throat before speaking, “uh, yeah… maybe,” she mumbled.

Apple Bloom looked eagerly at Rumble, “You like daring-sports, right Rumble?”

“Um, yeah. Athletics are cool, I guess. Sa-”

“Oh, it’s perfect then! Scootaloo, where’s your scooter?” Sweetie Belle added with a hop.

Rumble’s patience began to wane.

“Over there,” Scootaloo whispered reluctantly as she pointed to the bike rack.

Then in response to another shove from Apple Bloom, Scootaloo spoke-up timidly, “I uh, do have a new trick actually… I worked on it for a whole month… um, I haven't showed anypony yet… but I need a ramp! And since we don’t have one here… oh well, maybe next time.”

Scootaloo tried to start tiptoeing away but Apple Bloom held her firmly in place while she rolled her eyes. “Scoots, its fine, just show him another one of the thousand tricks you know.” Apple Bloom chuckled looking to Rumble, “You have to see her, she’s really good at her scooter! I know you’d be blown away by what she can do!”

Well thanks, Apple Bloom. Way to put me on the spot. Please don’t make me hurt her feelings.’ Rumble glared crossly—yet wordlessly—at Apple Bloom.

“Here you are,” Sweetie Bell rolled the scooter over to it’s trembling owner.

Apple Bloom let go of Scootaloo, she slowly and reluctantly got onto the scooter.

Rumble figured now would be a good time to save both Scootaloo the embarrassment and himself the time. “I’d love to see it but I think class will be starting soon. I actually wanted to-”

“This won’t take long, just watch!” Apple Bloom reassured, she looked between him and Scootaloo as if she alone was holding the conversation together; and in a way, she was.

Scootaloo breathed in to relax and placed her hooves on either side of her scooter to begin the trick.

“Alright Rumble, prepare to be amazed…” Apple Bloom said as she wrapped a hoof around Rumble, invading his personal space and ability to leave. Now Rumble’s face was really cross, angry even.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

The School House bell rang; class was starting. Scootaloo sighed in relief—everypony heard her.

Apple Bloom sighed too, not in defeat but in annoyance. “Ah shoot… Uh, oh! Maybe we’re out of time now, but we could all meet-up later on Sweet Apple Acres. There’s lots of room there and we could make a ramp out of some spare planks we’ve got! How do you feel about that, Rumble?”

I feel trapped, Apple Bloom.’ Rumble glared at her, face to face.

Apple Bloom seemed to understand, and let go of Rumble with an embarrassed smile.

Rumble looked at Apple Bloom with his non-nonsense face; he’d had enough of whatever… this was.

“I appreciate the gesture,” he began, “but-”

Rumble side-glanced at Scootaloo, she was still trembling, she was an anxious mess. But now… she was looking hopeful too; like, with fearful anticipation of being judged.

Much like Tender Taps had looked at him yesterday.

‘Oh no…

Exactly how Tender Taps had looked at him yesterday.

Damn-it.’

What would be the best course of action here? Come clean and tell Scootaloo no, or giver her hope only to disappoint her later?

Rumble wanted to go for the easy, first option but… he couldn’t let himself be unfair.

What if she get offended that I don’t want to see her scooter-tricks? I don’t want that… It could hurt her self-esteem and confidence even more than… whatever she’s got happening right now because of me already…’

But I have to disappoint her. Because I don’t love her. So, if I have to disappoint her, then I’ll have to do it… genteelly. Even if she isn’t on my favorite-pony-list, she doesn’t deserve an outright refusal. No pony does. Especially somepony so… desperate.’

Rumble made the split-second decision. The same decision he had made yesterday.

“Actually, I think I’d like that… Sure,” Rumble relented, “I’ll see you three at Sweet Apple Acres in the afternoon.”

Instantly, Scootaloo’s face light up; just like Tender Taps’ had. Rumble felt dishonest this time, though. It was the right thing to do but it didn’t feel the same.

Besides, scooter sports do sound exciting… and while I can’t give Scootaloo the love she wants, I could at least give her a little audience support. Nothing wrong with that.’

And just because he was going to watch some of her tricks, didn’t mean he was promising anything more either. He was just being considerate.

Just got to make sure I’m clear next time. No more stringing her along. That wouldn't be nice’

Rumble looked over to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell, they were giggling joyfully at his response.

It would help if Apple Bloom wasn’t there too… OK, new plan: One scooter show, then I tell her NO. And that’s final.’

The friends continued celebrating and Scootaloo remained positively dumbstruck.

Then, in order to take advantage of their surprise, Rumble decided now was the perfect time to circle the three fillies and sneak inside the School House.

Rumble departed with a “See ya’ later,” just as he began to hear Miss Cheerilee ordering everypony to “please take your seat.”

Cheerilee looked over her class of working students. She had finished her lecture on multiplying and dividing polynomials and now everypony was either: hard at work on the complementary classwork or staring out the window waiting for the bell. Usually she would go help those students focus… but that wasn’t an urgent desire of hers today.

Cheerilee’s focus was on one particular pony today, her most promising student: Rumble.

Yesterday, Cheerilee had tried starting a deep conversation with him on a book. But in retrospect, she had done rather poorly on hearing him out.

It wasn’t entirely her fault, the CMC had pushed her over the edge that day.

But, if excesses weren't a reasonable substitute for her student’s homework, it would be hypocritical to think it excused her own lack of patience. She was the adult here after all.

Adults admit their faults and right wrongs.

So, it was time to right one of her wrongs.

Cheerilee left her desk and walked over to Rumble’s side, she cleared her throat and motioned for him to follow her outside.

After stepping onto the School House porch, Rumble was the first to break the silence, “Uh, Miss Cheerilee, am I in trouble?”

“Oh, of course not Rumble.” Cheerilee reassured him, “I just wanted to talk to you in private. Please sit down.”

“Really? Why?” Rumble asked, looking to Miss Cheerilee.

“Because of this,” Cheerilee presented Rumble with her own copy of The Catcher in the Hay.

“Oh.” Rumble mumbled, apprehensively.

“I wanted to sit down and talk about it, properly this time.”

Rumble looked away from her, unable to make eye contact; it pained Cheerilee.

“Yesterday you talked to me about how you didn’t understand- I’m sorry. How we didn’t agree about what The Catcher in the Hay, was trying to say.”

Rumble turned to look at Miss Cheerilee, happily surprised.

Cheerilee smiled, “Books are… complicated. They can seem to say different things depending on what details each reader notices. I was adamant that the book meant one thing, and suggested you were wrong without even listening to why you found it said something else… That’s not how scholarly discussions are had. I should have let you explain yourself; not to justify your views, or prove me wrong, but to share our findings.”

Rumble was genially surprised, he looked wide eyed at Miss Cheerilee. “Oh, thank you Miss Cheerilee. So… you want to know why I think The Catcher in the Hay is about… how cutie marks are silly?”

“Yes Rumble, I would like to hear your take on the book,” Cheerilee said kindly.

“So what you’re saying is… all the ponies in the Manehattan were unhappy with their lives because of their cutie marks; specifically because they followed them blindly?” Cheerilee asked interested.

“Yes,” Rumble replied ecstatically. “All of the characters that Golden meets on his walk are unhappy because they are either too absorbed in the idea of what their life should be, or feel trapped in their talents and can’t see how following their cutie marks blindly is actually causing their misery.”

Rumble closed the book and pointed at the cover so Miss Cheerilee could see it. “Everypony in Manehattan is metaphorically a carousel-pony. Trapped going around and around in their unfulfilling lives because they allowed their cutie marks to outline their lives for them.”

Cheerilee took a moment to think; Rumble was… onto something.

Sure, his arguments weren't as polished as the countless theses she had read on the book during her master-studies but… his ideas weren't completely unfounded or disorganization either. Rumble had his own interpretation of the book and she couldn’t honestly tell him he was wrong for think so; it was pretty sound.

But Cheerilee couldn’t tell him that. Ponies need to follow their cutie marks; they’re destiny… Right? J.D. Stalionger’s depictions of fulfillment where commentary on adulthood, not… cutie marks themselves, surly…

Cheerilee was quiet for a while as she debated with herself. Rumble, in the silence, felt a little forgotten. “Um, Miss Cheerilee?”

“Oh, sorry Rumble. Uh, that was very insightful, I do have to say. You put this together all on your own?”

“Well, I think it’s pretty obvious that’s what the book is about… but, yeah. I seem to be the only pony who thinks so.”

“hmm. Maybe not the only pony…” Cheerilee let out, without thinking.

“Huh?”

Woops. Well, too late now. Eh, I suppose there wouldn’t be anything wrong in humoring him.’

“I think I actually know somepony who would agree with you, Rumble. Although, she might have changed her views by now…”

“Who?” Rumble asked inquisitively.

Starlight Glimmer, she’s the headmare of Princess’ Twilight’s Friendship School. A professional friend of mine.”

Cheerilee smiled recalling some memories and looked to Rumble, “She’s good with helping ponies figure hard things out. Do you think you’d like to meet her?”

Rumble was ecstatic, “I think so, yeah.”

“Well then,” Cheerilee stood up and stretched her legs, “I’ll ask her to come by the School House some-time soon then. So you two can talk one-on-one.”

“Thank you Miss Cheerilee.” Rumble smiled, unsure how to address his teacher’s sudden change of heart and willingness to help him.

“No, thank you Rumble.” Cheerilee returned a smile—a genuine one. “Your a great student Rumble, never stop thinking outside the box.”

They both returned inside the School House.

Cheerilee returned to her desk, looking at the time she cheeked her lesson plans for the day. Everything had been taken care of, except…

“Oh, class listen please!”

The School House of fillies and colts turned to look at Miss Cheerilee.

“I have one more announcement before class is dismissed today. Yesterday I sent the Hearts and Hooves Dance posters to Miss Steps, she’s decided the winner!”

Everypony—except Rumble—listened in anticipation; Especially the CMCs. Sweetie Bell was practically standing on her seat and desk, Apple Bloom had her mouth open, and Scootaloo… well she was pretending to be disinterested but her jittery hoofs and the way her eyes didn’t leave Miss Cheerilee said otherwise.

“Now remember, class, the lucky winner will enjoy a back stage pass to meet with the performers of this years’ Hearts and Hooves Dance. Which includes a modestly fancy themed dinner. Now isn’t that lovely!?” Cheerilee clapped her hooves, the class did so as well.

Ahem.The winner of the poster competition is…” Cheerilee opened an envelope with the results, “oh! It looks like we have a tie!”

The class was even more interested now.

“In that case, the winners of the competition are… Rumble and the CMCs! For most creative and most expressive designs.”

The CMCs went wild.

Rumble hit his head on his desk.

Comments ( 3 )

Nice to see an update on your story again, nice progression at least. For the cutie mark stuff I would SORT of agree with Rumble, but it's more about taking their marks too literally or too restrictive in interpreting them and shouldn't restrained to define their life or let others judge them to what kind of job or personality they should have. I see it as something strictly personal thing that you can't take it literally, it's a manifestation of what constitute a pony's core of themselves.

Keep it up dude.

11728036
Thanks for the comment. :heart: It's nice knowing if people still read me or not.
Writing Rumble is interesting for me because—like you, and most viewers of the show—I only partially agree with his views as well because of the differences in context.

The way I see it, the stance that cutie marks are absolute in Equestrian culture is based on how the characters talked about them in the show: most of the time they are mentioned they aren't ever questioned or challenged; they are as fundamental as the blue sky. So it would logically follow: most of everypony in equestrian holds them to some sacred sanding—where questioning their legitimacy or even just thinking they aren't "that serious" is comparable to proposing atheism in a medival world. Thus, texts like The Catcher in the Hay are intentionally written to be misunderstood by the general public for plausible deniability before an angry mob.

Oh course, I can't say this within the story itself because it would be too meta. I find it cool as a concept at least.

Continuation when?

Login or register to comment