• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 14,020 Views, 664 Comments

Love's a Drag-on - The Lord Thunder



Trouble arises for Twilight when Spike meets a cute young dragoness.

  • ...
32
 664
 14,020

Chapter 8

A bright beam of morning sunlight pried Spike’s eyes open for the day. He stretched and yawned, a bit surprised to find his blanket draped over him. More surprising was the fact that Sapphire was not laying next him as she was before they fell asleep. Spike crawled out from under the blanket and stepped into the library.

Downstairs, Twilight busied herself making breakfast, but still no Sapphire. A sleepy-eyed Spike dragged himself down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Oh, good morning, Spike,” Twilight said as she stirred a pot of oatmeal with a wooden spoon manipulated by her magic.

“Morning, Twilight. Have you seen Sapphire?”

“Actually, yes. She left about an hour ago. She didn’t say where she was going, but she gave me a note to pass on to you. It’s on the table.”

Spike turned and walked towards the table, where he picked up the paper and read it to himself.

***

Spike,
Sorry I didn’t tell you this myself, but I didn’t want to wake you. My parents can talk to me over long distances with magic. They woke me up and said they had something important to tell me. I’ll be at our usual spot if you want to meet me again later today.
Your girlfriend, Sapphire. XOXO.

***

“Twilight,” Spike said after placing the note back down on the table. “Would it be all right if I went and saw Sapphire after breakfast?”

Still stirring the pot of oatmeal, Twilight mulled it over. “Well, I suppose. But I get you all day tomorrow, ok?”

“You got it!”

After eating his oat-laden breakfast, Spike walked along the countryside path that lead to the little meadow where he first met Sapphire. She wasn’t there when he arrived. Was she playing hide and seek again?

“Sapphire?” Spike yelled. He stepped closer to the pepper bush in the middle of the meadow. “Sapphire, I’m here!”

No answer from Sapphire. Something was wrong. It was too quiet. Maybe she was at the pond. Spike turned to walk down the thick blanket of trees that lead to the pond. A sense of ill omen started him running down the dirt path until he could see the water sparkling in the distance. As the trees thinned out there was Sapphire, sitting on the bank of the pond with her feet in the water.

“There you are.” Spike stepped closer and sat next to her. She didn’t answer.

Something Spike couldn’t see tapped the surface of the pond, creating a series of small ripples that cascaded across the water. Looking up, Spike watched Sapphire wipe her eyes and sniff.

“Sapphire, are you crying?”

Sapphire trembled, visibly gritting her teeth. She sniffed again, eyes shut tight as if in great pain. Sure enough, a tear crawled its way down her cheek, leaving a wet trail along its path before it dropped off her face to send another series of ripples across the glittering surface of the pond.

“Hey, you are crying. What’s wrong? Does it have something to do with that important thing your folks wanted to talk to you about?” Spike scooted closer to embrace Sapphire for comfort. Almost immediately she buried her tearful face into his shoulder.

“Spike!” Sapphire sniffed again. “My parents…”

Spike felt Sapphire tremble harder, as if the words were too difficult to speak. Had something bad happened to her parents?

“What happened?” Spike asked after a few seconds of silence. “Are your parents okay?”

“They're leaving Equestria today, and I have to go with them! I just found out. That’s why they wanted to talk to me.”

A chill ran through Spike that had nothing to do with being near an ice dragon. His fins drooped, along with his heart. “But, if you leave Equestria—when will we ever see each other again?”

“I know! We won’t! Why do you think I’m so upset!” Sapphire grabbed Spike so tight he could barely breathe, but he wasn’t about to push her away in a moment of need. “I don’t want to go, Spike!”

“Well, maybe you don’t have to. You can come live with Twilight and me. I know she’d let you, and she could always use extra help.”

Sapphire pulled herself away and placed her paws on Spike’s shoulders. A negative shake of her head dismissed that idea as she looked Spike in the eyes. “No, I can’t. They’re my parents. I can’t just leave them. They’re my only family. Don’t you understand what that means?”

Spike sunk under Sapphire’s gaze, with a defeated sigh, his eyes turned to the ground. “I guess I don’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, Twilight’s not my real mom, of course, but she’s the closest thing I’ve ever had to one. I don’t know my real parents or even if I have any brothers or sisters.”

Spike felt himself being squeezed in another one of Sapphire's bear hugs. “"I’m so sorry, Spike. I never knew.”

He grabbed her tightly, too, hoping it would help ease his sorrow as much as hers. “Not your fault.”

Sapphire trembled. All the tears and all the sadness in her face she’d been holding back came out when Spike rubbed her back for comfort. She cried and sobbed into Spike’s shoulder, a sound that chilled Spike’s heart with regret. He began to cry too, realizing he wouldn’t be able to be there for her the next morning. Or her for him. The happiness that had boiled up in him over the past few days began to wither.

“Spike?” Sapphire’s shaky voice asked. “You’re not gonna cry, too, are you?”

“I’m trying not to. I really am.”

“Please don’t. I’m crying enough for the both of us.”

Though it took every fiber of his being, Spike managed to choke down the tears long enough for Sapphire to calm down. Once her sobbing had stopped, she let go of Spike and turned back to her reflection on the surface of the water. Both dragons sat down on the bank of the pond and dipped their little feet into the water as they wiped the moisture from their eyes.

“You know,” Sapphire began, “I wasn’t lying when I said you’re the sweetest dragon I’ve ever met. All the other boy dragons I’ve met have been mean and rude. They’d push me down, throw rocks at me, pull my hair. Some of them would even hit me.”

“Are you sure they weren’t just teasing you because they like you?”

“No, this was different. All of them lived by the old dragon rules: if you can beat another dragon up, you’re better than them. If you’re mean to someone and they don’t fight back, they’re weaker than you. If you can take something from another dragon, it’s yours. They’d steal from me, steal from my parents. Sometimes they would even…” Sapphire shut her eyes tight to fight back more tears. “Call me ugly.”

“Well, you’re by far the prettiest dragon I’ve ever met, if that helps.” Spike watched his reflection blush at his own comment.

“And that’s what I like about you.” Sapphire scooted closer to lean her head on his shoulder and wrapped her tail around his. “You’re not like them at all. You’re sweet and kind and giving. What if I never meet another dragon like you?”

“Eh, not like I’m much of a catch,” Spike answered as he looked his reflection over. “Look at these short little arms.”

“It’s the strength of your heart I like, not the strength of your body.” Sapphire gave Spike a kiss on the cheek to reassure him, then pulled her feet out of the water and stood up. “Maybe we should stop this. Maybe you should go before we make my leaving harder than it already is.”

A mournful sigh escaped Spike’s snout before he stood up, face to face with the girl who had enraptured his heart. The girl he could be seeing for the last time. Spike struggled for something appropriate to say, etching the sand with his foot to help him think. What WAS the right thing to say when your heart was in pieces and this could be the last thing you say to the girl of your dreams?

“I don’t know. I don’t know what to say. Or what to do. I wish I did.”

It was too hard for little Sapphire to look Spike in the eye. Instead her sights were set towards the ground as she twisted her foot into the sand. “Maybe just a quick goodbye would be easiest.”

More tears welled up in Spike’s eyes. “But, I don’t want to say goodbye!”

“Me either. But do we have a choice?”

Sapphire’s head still hung towards the ground, prompting Spike to step within arm’s reach. Gently, he lifted Sapphire’s chin up with a finger to force her to look him in the eye. “Goodbye, Sapphire. Don’t worry, we can still write to each other, right? Just remember that trick I taught you“.

Sapphire sighed as she stepped forward to embrace him one more time. “I don’t want to leave, but I have to. I—I love you, Spike. Don’t ever change.”

Love. The word set Spike’s heart on fire. No one except Twilight had told him they loved him. Was that what Spike had been feeling for Sapphire? That sensation, warm and fuzzy yet alarming at the same time?

Spike took a few seconds to look deep within for the answer, then spoke. “I love you, too.”

Two enormous shadows spilled over Spike and Sapphire from a nearby hill. Spike’s mouth hung open in shock as he gazed up at a pair of approaching blue-scaled dragons. They were magnificently huge, but it was the kind looks on their faces that really amazed him.

“Young one." The larger, darker dragon's voice was so tremendous it tickled Spike's feet with vibrations sent through the ground. “we thank you for your friendship with our Sapphire. She’s regained the joy that we’ve always known with her. In fact, I've never seen her smile so wide.”

“We knew of her feelings for you, which is why we have remained here this long." The sleeker, lighter-colored dragon's voice was more feminine and far less harsh.

Spike tiled his head in confusion. So these two were Sapphire's parents. “‘This long?’ You mean, you wanted to leave before now?”

Sapphire’s father nodded. “Yes. We ice dragons have lived in the frozen north for eons, and have become accustomed to its wintry properties. When we left the Migration, we hoped we could remain in the high mountains here, but the changes caught up with us.”

“Changes?” Spike took a second to contemplate the meaning of the father’s words. “You mean, just by being here?”

“Indeed.” He nodded again. “They started out as mild annoyances, waking nightmares. But as we stayed here, they grew into an unbearable agony. What might be a pleasant warm day for you is more akin to a hundred red-hot needles being jabbed into our sides.”

“Daddy!” Sapphire yelled, a concerned expression now on her face. “You said you and mother were just a little uncomfortable.”

“I know, child. We didn’t mean to deceive you. We stayed here for your sake, because you were happy.”

Spike wondered at these two noble dragons. They were willing to sacrifice so much just for a little happiness for Sapphire. “Sir? Ma’am? Thank you.”

“No, we thank you, young Spike,” Sapphire’s mother said. “What you have done for Sapphire we cannot repay, but perhaps your travels will bring you close to our realm. You would be a welcome guest.”

“Thank you.” Spike turned to Sapphire now, visibly shaken. “Sapphire, I don’t know who my real parents are, but I hope they were like yours.”

Sapphire couldn’t keep herself from embracing her friend one last time. “Oh, Spike!”

Sapphire’s mother’s wings split the air like the winds of a tornado as she stretched them. “If you are finished with your goodbyes, climb on my back, dear. It is time for us to leave.”

“Yes, Mama.”

Sapphire afforded one last look back at Spike, waving as her mother took to the air once again.

“Goodbye, Spike!” Sapphire yelled. “I hope we can meet again someday. Until then, don’t forget to write!”

“I won’t forget!” Spike shouted back. Like I could

Spike watched as the three blue dragons flew higher into the matching sky and felt like collapsing right there on the sandy bank and crying. He’d heard the phrase “love hurts“ before, but until now he had no idea exactly how much. It felt like Rainbow Dash had gone into a Sonic Rainboom and crashed right into his heart, shattering it into a thousand pieces.

Once he was sure he was alone, Spike rested on his back, watching the clouds roll by. When he could no longer fight it, the tears flowed down his face.