• Published 28th Feb 2022
  • 1,535 Views, 942 Comments

They're... ON HOLIDAY? - Nameless Narrator



After reaching peace between Equestria and Hive changelings, queen Chrysalis takes two high ranks and a small retinue of drones with her on a trip to an island holiday resort.

  • ...
6
 942
 1,535

PreviousChapters Next
Day 11 - Bleeding the poison out: 3/4

The floor plan of the inner part of the pyramid is grid-based, although not every laboratory the drones pass by is the same size, so any larger area must be occupying more squares from the grid. As the drones, who are used to the planning and design style of “go that way until something eats you and dig by hoof”, realize this, everything clicks into place and they barely need 10101’s guidance anymore. This, along with 10101’s new body, speeds up their progress considerably as they can now move in a trot, and they reach a closed door behind which there should be the Forgemaster’s office.

“Do we dig through?” asks 10013 eagerly.

“If the scanner still works, that won’t be necessary,” replies 10101 and presses its hoof against the panel on the side.

The door beeps, slides into the wall, and everyone enters. It is a simple, rectangular office with a workbench, a small table, and a bunch of boxes with shattered screens and tons of buttons. Just like every other area of the complex, the floor is covered with shards of glass the cleaning machines seemingly couldn’t suck in as well as what looks like… other unidentifiable things that aren’t random, broken mess that got knocked down by tremors.

10013, 36658, and 20100 exchange glances that clearly mean they have absolutely zero idea what they’re looking at and much less what they’re looking for.

“Hey, 10101, what’s that clear ants thingy we’re looking for?” asks 36658.

10101’s horn lights up with a blue shimmer, which to the drones now symbolizes non-shooty usage, and projects an image of a thick card into the air.

“This, both in shape and size,” says the robot, “Look around, I need to download recent status reports.”

Without any further explanation, it finds a small panel on a wall, slides it open, and puts its hoof into a fitting slot inside.

The drones don’t waste time with questions and start looking everywhere. The instinct that tells them to find the tightest and darkest spot to sleep in does wonders to help them search through every possible crevice, nook, and cranny, and 20100 eventually pushes the table to the side, rummages through broken glass and dust stacked behind it, and pulls the desired card out.

“Got it! At least I think that’s it,” it blows the dust off of the card and raises it into the air.

10101 disconnects from the wall and nods.

“Excellent job. I’ve updated our security clearances and added your profiles to the staff. In case this body gets damaged to the point where it’s a burden, all you need to do is recover the memory card and you will still be able to get into the reactor control room.”

“Does that mean the security robots won’t shoot at us anymore?” asks 10013.

“Unfortunately, not with the current protocol settings. In case of an emergency like this, all personnel are required to stay inside safe zones while the security forces purge any intruders. However, it means that if we spot a hostile robot coming we can just slip inside certain designated areas and they won’t follow us. It should be easy with most of the reinforced glass windows broken. I would advise you to mark those on your own internal map,” 10101 projects a version of the facility map which takes most of the office space and highlights certain rooms in green.

10013 takes a deep breath and updates everything.

“Phew! This makes me wish 99380 was here,” it wipes its forehead once it’s finished, “All done. Where do we go now?”

“The Forgemaster’s elevator,” 10101 heads to the door, “I checked the local damage report and it seems to be in working order.”

Once they’re out in the corridor, a security robot rounds a corner, immediately aiming its horn at 10101 as the major threat.

In the time it takes for the robot to charge its horn, 10101 aims and shoots, cleanly blasting the security robot’s head off.

“Wooow!” 36658 blinks, “I thought you had the same body. How are you so much faster?”

“While this is the same chassis,” replies 10101 undisturbed, “Even as a fragment I am a full AI, not a scrap of programming limited to several procedures. I can use this body’s functions in a way the security robots can’t, which in this case means better targeting, faster reactions, and lower charge time on the pulse laser if needed. It might tax this body beyond its limits quickly, but I doubt I’ll need it beyond the next hour.”

“Come on,” 10013 smiles, “Maybe you’ll find a way to stop the big boom so well you won’t flood this place with lava.”

“And the griffons?”

“Oh… right,” 10013 falls silent and they resume walking through the inner part of the complex.

The personal elevator obviously built for two small ponies at most accepts the Forgemaster’s clearance card and starts moving once the four drones and one security robot squeeze in, Smiley and 10101 next to each other, 36658 and 20100 crouched under them, and 10013 standing on their backs. Thankfully, the elevator starts moving despite the weight...

At least until it stops with a painful, grinding noise accompanied by clicking only two floors lower as another tremor shakes the metal box.

“What happened?” asks 10013, looking around, “Why isn’t the lifty box moving?”

“The earthquake seems to have been strong enough to damage the elevator and the emergency brakes stopped us. Those were the four loud clicks you heard,” 10101 analyzes the situation, “The grinding noise, however, didn’t sound correct. I think we’re stuck.”

“How about we dig through the bottom and fly down the shaft?” 36658 offers a solution.

“Hmmm,” 10013, being the one on top, attempts to pick 10101 up. With a grunt and loud buzzing, the robot’s hooves barely leave the floor, “I don’t think even your wings could carry 10101 alone, 36658. 10101, would we fit into the shaft if each of us held one of your legs?”

“Doubtful,” the robot shakes its head, “Besides, if anything is off with the shaft or the elevator’s brakes, or if another tremor hits while we're flying down and the cabin drops it will be a death sentence.”

“Digging through the shaft it is then,” decides 10013 after checking the floor plan of the facility, and marking several points on the map, starting with their current position, “36658, Smiley, you start with the bottom, I’ll do the top, 20100 reinforces it with goop. We need to make the tunnel wide enough for 10101. Let’s go.”

“This is an inconvenient time sink, but I don’t have a better idea,” 10101 nods.

Within mere five minutes and one determined mechanical kick, 10101 drops through a ceiling one floor below on a disc cut out by the drones. Istrium disc drops to the floor with 10101 landing on it, dust rises, and several gunshots pierce the air accompanied by muzzle flashes. A duo of griffons quickly start backing off into cover provided by one of the regularly placed thick frames supporting the ceiling.

Unfortunately for them, the dust cover means nothing for 10101 who snipes one through the head. The recharge time of the beam weapon, however, gives the other time to hide behind the left frame.

Only now do the drones, previously only playing the role of several curious ceiling cats, drop into the tunnel.

They hear several sharp breaths before the griffon throws something into the hallway. A shoe?

There’s no time to analyze the situation, however, as the soldier immediately leans out of cover, a rifle aimed at 10101.

His left foreleg and a good part of the rifle disappear in a flash of red light as 10101 shoots them off with absolute precision, which is followed by the groaning and twitching griffon falling out of cover.

“What was this about?” 10013 whispers, examining the shoe while 10101 approaches the griffon.

“Probably to bait out a shot and use the recharge time to act,” comments 10101, “A good plan. It might have worked on a standard security bot. Do you want an opportunity for personal revenge? Even if he doesn’t pass out, he won’t be able to crawl out of here in time so you don’t need to worry about being identified.”

The drones exchange quizzical looks before they realize what 10101 means, upon which-

“Nope! Nope nope nope. Nooooope,” 20100 immediately backs away, vigorously shaking its head.

10013 somehow manages to pale through its chitin and gags a little.

Smiley raises a tablet with [???], entirely incapable of grasping the concept.

36658, however, walks over and looks the barely conscious griffon in the eyes.

“We wouldn’t have to be here if you greedy griffons didn’t show up! The tremors wouldn’t be happening! No one would be in danger!” its breathing quickens and its voice gains a higher pitch, “I WOULDN’T BE THIS SCARED! ALL THIS IS YOUR FAULT!”

It raises its hoof, glowing green, and stomps on the griffon’s head with fangs bared, cleanly digging through and leaving a deep scar in the istrium floor.

“L-Let’s m-m-move…” 36658 stutters out.

Trembling, twitching, and breathing raggedly, the drone then turns around and almost mechanically starts following the mental map trail leading to the nearest stairwell. 10101 overtakes the drones again, its horn shimmering and ready to shoot in case of any threats.

“Are you okay?” 10013 taps into 36658’s strangely weak link.

“N-No,” replies 36658, “But H-High Score h-h-had to deal with n-nightmare horrors at-at night and p-paladins were chasing it so-so that no one w-would be in d-d-danger. AND it d-disobeyed a di-direct order from a hi-high r-r-rank. This is no-nothing in comparison.”

***

Another tremor shakes the ground, but drones are significantly resistant to bouncing down a flight of stairs, so they recover quickly and only with some shaking of heads.

The descent to level 6 from which it would be possible to get to the reactor control room on 5 is otherwise uneventful. I mean, they do encounter some security forces but the singular robots get easily swept away by 10101. However, around level 10 the heat begins rising considerably even in the well-insulated stairwell, so 10101 stops on a landing and says:

“This is suspicious. The heat shielding around the bottom layers must have been damaged. Open the door, I’ll keep an eye out on anything coming our way from below.”

10013 nods and opens the heavy door to level 10, making the mistake of breathing in as it does so.

It grunts and hisses, immediately jumping away on instinct as burning air sears its lungs and landing on its back. 20100 waits for nothing and slams the door shut again.

In response, 36658 takes a deep breath itself, opens the door, and peeks into the outer hallway. Bright outer hallway lit by the glowing red magma in the distance and fires everywhere it can see. It closes again, enjoying the coolness of the stairwell again as it finally dares to breathe in.

“F-Fire ev-everywhere,” it says.

“Hmm, hopefully the damage is localized. Thank you,” 10101 starts descending down the stairs, horn at the ready, “10013, how bad is it?”

“Bad, but I can breathe. I’d rather not talk right now. I’ll be okay in a few minutes.”

“Says it’ll be okay in a few minutes,” reports 20100, taking 10013’s place next to 36658 while 10013 remains a bit behind with Smiley.

“Good,” says 10101.

“H-How come it’s n-not so hot he-here?” asks 36658.

“The stairwells are built as emergency escapes. They have a separate passive and active air flow as well as added shielding. In case of a collapse like this, they will last the longest but magma takes down everything eventually.”

“Why not build the whole place like that?” 20100 looks at the robot.

“Size plus time and resource investment regarding both building and, much more in the long run, maintenance. You described your daily routine of reinforcing tunnels where your resin dissipated, the reasoning is similar.”

“Ohhh!” 20100 nods, “Yup, makes sense.”

The group descend all the way to level 6 in silence, 36658 internally stuck rewatching a loop of it killing the griffon, 10013 healing its lightly burned lungs, 20100 taking the active role of a lookout, and Smiley being Smiley.

Thankfully, when 36658 volunteers, takes a deep breath, opens the door marked L6 set on the complete bottom of the stairwell, and looks around, it doesn’t get scorched like 10013.

“S-Seems ok-okay,” it whispers.

10101 nods and enters the outer hallway. Scanning unsuccessfully for any threats, the robot says:

“Looks clear, but be careful,” it starts heading to the left. Unlike the other floors the drones have seen there are no windows in the inner wall showing laboratories and offices, only a solid istrium wall. That might also be a reason why this floor isn’t covered in magma while the above ones likely are, “This floor contains sealed parts of the reactor and the only thing accessible here is the authentication hallway,” it projects a zoomed in square floor map split into four with a cross of two hallways, revealing their location, and marking their route to the center.

“We’re almost there,” 10013 connects to the others with a sigh of relief, “But stay on the lookout.”

*Wary face!*

“H-How are you f-feeling?” asks 36658, “B-breathing wise.”

“It feels kinda… scratchy? But I’m okay. don’t worry. Your stutter isn’t getting better, though.”

“D-Doesn’t st-stop me from m-moving,” 36658 shrugs.

They quickly clear the distance to the cross section, revealing that one of the hallways slopes down and ends in a heavy blast door, presumably leading to level 5. 10101 stops in the center of the cross section and points its foreleg to the left and right hallway.

“There is security here. Cover behind the corner while I take care of it,” it charges its horn and takes one step into the sloping corridor while the drones split into pairs, 36658 and 10013 on the left and 20100 and Smiley on the right.

Two small drums with glowing crystals in the front emerge, one sliding out of the ceiling and one from the floor. 10101, horn pointed directly in the middle of the corridor, immediately fires at the bottom one, blasting a glowing hole in it. Before it can charge another shot to dispatch the second security turret, though, it fires with more speed and precision than any security robot they’ve met so far.

Only 10101’s advanced intelligence gives it enough reaction speed to duck while backing off, saving its head from the fate of the bottom turret and dooming the entire operation. However, the downwards angle of the shot makes it so that the beam scratches the side of 10101’s reinforced barrel and sears a hole through the robot’s hind leg currently supporting its weight.

With drone natural reaction times being similar, the coolest head and best carapace win, and 10013 darts towards 10101 collapsing on the floor, grabs its leg, and pulls the robot into cover before the next shot can finish it off.

Thankfully, while the turrets are clearly quicker than mobile robots, they can’t shoot behind corners, so they’re safe for now. The question of how to progress remains.

“The fixed position gives the turrets more accuracy, and being plugged directly into the facility’s circuit makes the recharge time faster,” comments 10101, projecting the map again and simulating various encounter patterns on it. Across the open cross section, 20100 calls out in a loud whisper:

“Can we help?”

“No, stay there!” replies 10101, “You can’t cross the distance before you get shot. I’ll figure something out. These turrets aren’t armored. They’re precision tools, not fortifications. Clearly they’re made to support fodder units.”

For the next minute, 10101 runs simulation after simulation, most ending with the robot down.

“Hmmm, I think we can hone in on a scenario where I go one for one. However, there’s still a high chance of my head being damaged.”

10013 taps its hoof on the floor.

“In Scufflestick, if we need units to avoid taking fire, we have to sacrifice other units to give them time. What if-”

“I think you should take Smiley with you after all. Silents are made to obey direct, simple, clear orders and, as much as I hate to say it, you might need a body to throw in the way of something you can’t deal with. I’d take a veteran drone over a Silent any day, even in Smiley’s case.”

10013 grits its teeth and ignores 387’s voice crossing its mind.

“-I jump across, bait a shot, and 36658 helps you move into a firing position quicker,” 10013 finishes the sentence.

“The power and rate of fire of that turret makes it so that it can break through an istrium chassis with ease. It will punch a hole straight through you.”

“T-That’s why I gotta g-go,” 36658 stands up on all fours, muzzle scrunched, “N-No arg-arguing.”

“36658-” 10013 looks at it, shaking its head.

“NO! A-Arguing!” 36658 snarls at 10013.

The leader backs off, biting its lower lip.

I should have a better plan but I have NOTHING!

“R-Ready?” 36658 taps on 10101 who rises up on its working three legs, “10013. Your p-plan! Us swa-swapped. N-Nothing is f-free, 10013.”

I’ve got nothing, no idea, no tricks, no strategy.

The best I can do is let 36658 do what it wants instead of sending Smiley to possibly die when it wouldn’t even understand what it’s doing and why.

10013 takes a deep breath, positions itself by 10101’s side, and nods.

36658 starts counting down from three, but doesn’t get further than two before the ceiling collapses behind them without any warning or a tremor.

PreviousChapters Next