• Published 28th Feb 2022
  • 1,533 Views, 942 Comments

They're... ON HOLIDAY? - Nameless Narrator



After reaching peace between Equestria and Hive changelings, queen Chrysalis takes two high ranks and a small retinue of drones with her on a trip to an island holiday resort.

  • ...
6
 942
 1,533

PreviousChapters Next
Day 5 - Standard procedure: 4/8

To cover as much ground as possible, 20100 and 99111 exchange brief waves with 10013’s group and head through the apartment complex the opposite way.

“The silence makes me wonder if we shouldn’t just go outside and wait until anyone who could use our help wakes up,” 20100 looks from side to side when the hoofsteps of the other drone group go quiet.

“It can’t hurt to look around. That way we can at least have some chance of gaining a point lead on 36658,” replies 99111 with determination.

“You do realize that the points will either be equally split between us or we’ll both get the same amount, so you’re moving nowhere. You know, comparatively.”

“GOOP!” 99111 curses, stops in the middle of the hallway, and hangs its head, “I completely missed that.”

“I mean, we should still do good for the hive, you know?” 20100 nudges it, “But there’s no one saying that we can’t do what we’re interested in -right?- since we’re on breaky time. You know what? Have you found something that you liked so far? Other than complaining about 36658.”

“Hey!”

“I stand by what I said,” says 20100 calmly, “I told 36658 that it was way overdoing the stories, but you’re straight up wrong.”

“Grumble grumble!”

“No reason for that kind of language!”

“Sorry…”

“Most newbies I talked to liked 36658’s stories, and… I wouldn't exactly tell this to 36658, but they don’t overthink them like you both do,” after a brief pause, 20100 adds, “For better or for worse. Although I think 36658’s overall idea is better.”

“Hmph!”

“If you don’t want to talk about it then it’s okay,” 20100 shrugs and rolls its eyes, “We’re drones, and that means that our priority is the hive, not our own problems.”

“Agreed,” 99111 huffs, “So, I was thinking, aaand there actually were ponies on the ship doing stuff at times unusual for most of them. Where? In a place called the workshop. All we have to do is find a place like that here and we’re set.”

“Workshop, eh?” mumbles 20100.

“Now where would a place like this have a worksh-?”

“Found it!” announces 20100 with a smile, presenting the hive mind image of the laminated map of the resort, namely the back of it with listed locations, through their hive link.

“Huh, I feel a bit silly for not thinking about that first,” mutters 99111.

“Well, we figured it out and that’s all that matters,” 20100 glances at 99111 before leading the way towards the nearest stairs.

***

The workshop is a one-story building with thick doors and walls as well as small windows to insulate the rest of the resort from any noise. However, the inside is extremely well-lit using long, bright, white, humming lights built into the low ceiling which the drones have to force themselves to look away from.

Unexpectedly, there’s only one pony in the entire workshop, although she certainly is managing to take up a lot of space and, unlike before, it’s not because of her overwhelming personality.

*POOF!*

“Celestia’s steaming milkers!” curses Trixie when a bubbling bowl on one of the five tables surrounding her blasts a plume of black smoke upwards while the unicorn herself is busy operating a spinning lathe on the leftmost table. Despite the loud yell echoing through the workshop, she carefully turns the lathe off before darting back towards one of the three tables filled with chemistry equipment, “Maybe I can salvage this…” she mutters, taking the bowl from the burner and turning it off.

Her horn lights up, and a strange shockwave expands outwards from her, passing through everything without seemingly affecting it, before returning back and centering on the bowl. Trixie has enough presence of mind to put the bowl back on the burner before collapsing on the floor.

This prompts the apparently unnoticed drone duo to rush towards her, slide under the line of occupied tables, and stop by the spasming and groaning unicorn, watching her foam at the mouth with her eyes rolled back so far they’re only showing whites.

99111 stares, frozen by the simple fact that it doesn’t have a clue what’s happening, if it’s good or bad, or how it could stop it in case of the latter.

20100, on the other hole, rams its tiny foreleg into Trixie’s mouth and feels her bite down on it. Thankfully, despite drone carapace not being the hardest unless reinforced, her teeth barely crack the surface.

“...goop, how do high ranks do it…?” it mutters before lowering its mouth to Trixie’s neck and biting down, slobbering on her coat a little as a result. When the lack of any effect reveals itself, 20100 sighs, “I wish 36658 was here now.”

“What’s happening?!” is all 99111 asks before 20100 bends its foreleg to open Trixie’s mouth more and lets some liquid goop drip into it from its own before rising its head again.

“She’s having the twitchy biteys,” says 20100 with strange calmness compared to shaking 99111, “No idea why, since I can’t see any pouncy spinners, but I’ve seen way too many drones break their jaws or bite their tongues off and choke on blood to recognize it.”

“Aaaah?! How are you so calm?” 99111 darts back and forth in panic, “If ponies see us like this they’ll think we did it and-”

“Because the twitchy biteys caused by pouncy spinners aren’t that dangerous if there’s anyone around who knows what to do. Hopefully, ponies react similarly to us. We just need a bit of normal goop and a way to keep our mouth open so that they can breathe.”

“Wait, really?” 99111 tilts its head. As if in response, Trixie slowly calms down and, shortly after, opens her eyes and swats 20100’s hoof out of her mouth.

“Ewww…” she croaks, pushing herself up into a sitting position, “Changelings?” she blinks, attempting to regain her bearings. Next, she carefully smacks her lips, “Mint? Why do I taste mint? Isn't burnt bread the symptom of a stroke?”

“20100 held your mouth open and made you swallow some of its goop,” 99111 shuffles over to 20100 and gives it a hug, “And it totally worked!”

“Eugh!” Trixie sticks out her tongue and makes a face, “I was okay,” she grumbles before tensing up and correcting herself, “The Great And Powerful Trixie appreciates your help, changelings, but can’t pay you in any way.”

“Ehhh, hello?” 99111 waves its foreleg, “It’s me, 99111! I helped you fix the door on the ship.”

“Ah,” she pauses, “And the other one? Two- something, did you say?”

“20100,” 99111 nods with vigor.

“Hello!” 20100 smiles and tilts its head, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“AAH!” Trixie ignores the question, jumping up and wincing as her whole body protests, but eventually breathes out when she checks the bowl on the burner again and finds its contents satisfactory, “Phew…” she wipes her forehead, “I wasn’t out for too long.”

“Three minutes and forty-two seconds from the moment you fell down until you jumped up just now,” replies 20100.

“Oh…” Trixie tenses up again, “So you… saw what happened?”

“The bowl went poof, your horn went bzzz, the room went whoom, and you went plop,” recounts 20100.

“...shit…” Trixie breathes out.

“Oh, if you couldn’t hold stuff in during twitchy biteys we can clean it up. That’s normal,” 20100 looks around, “But I can’t see or smell anything.”

Trixie shoots 20100 a glare, but it dies off almost immediately when faced only with the helpful smile of the drone.

“No, not that,” she sighs, “You saw my spell…”

“The whoom? Yup,” 20100 nods, “I liked it when everything wobbled.”

Trixie examines both drones staring back at her with open, honest faces, clearly only waiting for the situation to unfold. Faced with their strange innocence, the gears in her head start turning.

“I- The Great And Powerful Trixie has a favor to ask of you,” she says.

“Yay!” the drones hoofbump immediately, “We’re useful!”

“Uh, yes, yes.” Trixie nods, “It would be extremely helpful if you told nopony what you saw here. No magic.”

“Sure,” 20100 nods. 99111 joins in.

No matter how hard she tries, Trixie can’t find anything other than absolute truth in the drone’s words.

“The Great And Powerful Trixie appreciates it,” when 99111 raises its foreleg, she asks, “Yes?”

“I don’t think 387 or anyone else will think this is enough for a point. Is there anything else we can help with?”

“Huh, 99111 is right,” adds 20100, pointing at the workbenches surrounding Trixie’s area, “And you look super busy. There’s two of us and we’re good at digging and carrying-”

“-and gooping things together, like the door last time,” 99111 nods quickly, “We can help.”

Trixie circles around her working area, quietly muttering to herself, before making an executive decision:

“The Great And Powerful Trixie could use an extra pair- or two pairs of eyes… free of charge,” when both drones nod with eager smiles, she points to 20100 at random, “You’re going to watch this bowl,” she walks over to her chemistry table and points directly at the bowl filled with clear liquid which seems to have caused this entire incident. 20100 happily bounces up and down, saluting, runs off to grab a chair, and in only a few seconds it’s sitting on it, eyes locked on the bowl. Finally, Trixie pokes 99111, “You, nine-one-one or whatever. Since you already have some door experience, you’re going to help me do some woodworking,” she walks over to the rightmost table on which there is an anvil and a saw, as well as a bunch of planks of wood.

“What are you making?”

“I’m replacing the illusionist equipment I lost on the ship,” Trixie allows herself an evil grin, “No damn bolt of lightning will make Trixie live off lap dances again!”

Author's Note:

A short one today.
I'm getting back into the work-writing-existing rhythm in my new job, but I still can'T write enough to get back to two updates a week.

PreviousChapters Next