• Published 28th Feb 2022
  • 1,531 Views, 942 Comments

They're... ON HOLIDAY? - Nameless Narrator



After reaching peace between Equestria and Hive changelings, queen Chrysalis takes two high ranks and a small retinue of drones with her on a trip to an island holiday resort.

  • ...
6
 942
 1,531

PreviousChapters Next
Day 1 - Shippy time: 6/9

“Grumble grumble High Score grumble grumble!” 99111, on its own, heads through the servant deck. With no idea what annoyed grumbling actually entails, it just keeps repeating the word grumble punctuated by the source of its irritation, “I’m the one doing my job. I’m the one digging. I’m the one running away from flappy suckers. Grumble grumble, not some old drone.”

99111 looks at the staircase ahead.

“Grumble grumble High Score once dug so deep it fell back from the sky,” puffing its cheeks, it heads upstairs, “I’ll show the Potatoes that we can all be as good as their High Score. No matter what they say, it must have been just a drone like us. If High Score dug down, I’ll go up!”

It stops on the carpeted floor of the mostly completely silent nobility deck.

“Huh? Where did everyone go?” it looks from side to side, spotting another staircase leading up, “Nevermind. Up I go. Grumble grumble Shiny Bringer my butt. What does-”

It opens a door at the top of the stairs by pushing on a long handle and almost gets deafened by an explosion of voices.

“-that… even-”

Fresh breeze with a completely unique scent in contrast to the stale underground air it’s been breathing its entire life with the short exception of the trip to Manehattan assaults its nostrils.

“-mean…?”

And gets blinded by the low-hanging, late afternoon sun.

“Shinyyy…”

99111 simply stares directly ahead, mouth agape.

The vast main deck is filled with four categories of ponies. One must be the representatives - they’re sitting around and chatting, always surrounded by the second category of ponies - servants on duty running around, carrying drinks, food, or messages. Category three are the off-duty servants, enjoying numerous bars, several enormous swimming pools, or simply lying around on deck chairs and enjoying the sunlight. The final category are the cruise ship staff, manning the bar counters, wiping the deck, serving as security, carrying around drinks and food to the off-duty servants, or doing anything else that needs doing.

Breathe, breathe.

Maybe I should contact someone.

99111 instinctively scans the area for hive links nearby and finds… two completely unknown ones.

Huh?

It reaches out to the first one which feels similar to touching a high rank, and it closes up immediately. The drone can still sense it, so its owner isn’t trying to hide their presence, but any access including communication is now completely beyond 99111’s skills.

As it touches the second new link which feels more like it belongs to a drone, a mental voice replies immediately:

“Hiii! I’m really busy right now but I’ll find ya later and we’ll talk. I’m so excited to hear what’s been happening back in the hive since my last visit. Is 10013 okay? Did High Score come back already? Does 36658 still have its poppy patch? Wait! No! Sorry, can’t get distracted right now. See you later, bye!”

99111 just blinks, completely stunned. Who was that?

There’s just… too much stuff happening at the same time.

It takes a deep breath. The good part is that so far no one has yelled or thrown anything. In fact, no one seems to be paying 99111 any attention whatsoever. To a drone, that’s as good as things get.

Should I talk to the veterans?

No… no no no. They would just say some nonsense about High Score.

Courage, 99111. Courage.

Ah? A voice inside my head?

High Score?

Wait, no, that’s just me.

The first shaky steps out of the shadows are the worst, but 99111 soon breathes a sigh of relief as despite some ponies starting to notice it they simply don’t care. With the sides of the ship lined by various stands, bars, and ways to pass time, 99111 heads directly ahead to the massive swimming pool surrounded by luxurious deck chairs and umbrellas. Standing on the edge of the pool, it finally sees the familiar scheme of the zebra bombshell from the showers swimming past and being openly stared at by various stallions either standing around the pool or swimming in it.

The water of the pool moves, reflecting sunlight as hundreds of tiny, flickering dots. 99111 lies down and lets its forelegs dangle over the edge. It touches the water and tries to catch the shiny reflection.

Again and again.

Looking once again at the ponies enjoying themselves in the vast pool, 99111 decides to give it a shot too. After all, it seems that all they need to do is to get in the water and then occasionally flail their limbs around.

It stands up, breathes in, breathes out, takes a step over the edge…

…and sinks like a rock.

Its legs do nothing to slow down its descent. It opens its mouth to call for help and immediately chokes as it swallows water. Its lungs start burning within seconds, taking away any chance of 99111 concentrating enough to mentally call for help.

Despite the clear water, the edges of its vision grow dark.

High Score, help!

Please…

Finally, so does everything else.

.

.

.

99111 wakes up, coughing out water which, for some reason, feels like it’s coming out of its back. Opening its eyes, there’s a blurry shadow over it, and the front of its barrel hurts for some reason.

I’m alive…

Its vision finally stabilizes, revealing that the shadow is the shower zebra’s relieved face. She stops pressing her hooves against 99111’s barrel and asks:

“Are you okay?”

Trembling, 99111 sits up, expecting its carapace to be cracked due to the pressure of the mare’s hooves. However, for some reason its carapace is soft like skin. So… squishy and offering no protection. 99111 immediately shapeshifts back into its hardened drone self, feeling a strange hole in its back close.

“I… I think so…” croaks the drone.

“Good,” says the zebra, “Wait here, okay?”

99111 nods and she walks off.

A hole appeared in my back, my carapace went all soft, and I couldn’t pull off the swimming thing at all.

I called for help…

Back home, they all kept saying that High Score was with us at all times, but the second I got in danger I couldn’t get out of, nothing happened.

The nice zebra must have saved me.

It was a lie all along.

The zebra returns, carrying an inflatable pool floaty. She notices 99111’s blank stare and sits down next to it.

“I’m here if you want to talk,” she says, “Or, if you’re brave enough, I can teach you how to swim so that you don’t drown again,” she grabs its tiny foreleg, “You’d have to fill-in these holes, though.”

99111 looks at the pool and shudders. The zebra notices and taps the inflated floaty.

“You can float freely on this and you won’t sink, I promise.”

Unable to cope with the overwhelming feeling of betrayal in regards to High Score, 99111 shakes its head, and says:

“Can I just rest here for a while, Miss zebra?”

“I’m- my name’s Gem,” she smiles and pats its head, “And of course you can. I’ll be around or in the pool if you need anything.”

“I’m 99111,” it says as she stands up, throws the floaty into the pool, and slowly lowers herself on it, “...and thank you,” it adds, unsure if she heard it over the overall commotion of ponies on the deck.

In absence of any further reply, 99111 curls up by a deck chair and lets sunlight warm its carapace in hopes that the cold emptiness inside will fade away as well.

The emptiness isn’t hunger, though. For some reason, 99111 feels completely full.

PreviousChapters Next