• Published 28th Feb 2022
  • 1,534 Views, 942 Comments

They're... ON HOLIDAY? - Nameless Narrator



After reaching peace between Equestria and Hive changelings, queen Chrysalis takes two high ranks and a small retinue of drones with her on a trip to an island holiday resort.

  • ...
6
 942
 1,534

PreviousChapters Next
Day 8 - Smiley's hole: 6/7

Chrysalis huffs and measures 36658 through narrowed eyes when she’s done searching the drone’s mind. Despite her annoyed tone, her digging has been much quicker and vastly less uncomfortable and draining than 387’s previous mind reading.

“Hmph, another changeling who thinks the changeling Queen is the one to change the least. If you don’t believe that things have changed then I invite you to examine why you still have a head and why you haven’t been executed to send a message that the traitorous thoughts in your head aren’t the smartest idea,” she smacks the back of 36658’s head and transfers a small amount of love during the contact, just enough so that 36658 can keep going through the day, “Now for the important things-”

She looks down at the still shaking 36658.

“I’m not going to disappear you or the other derps I took on this trip unless you really piss me off somehow,” Chrysalis rolls her eyes, “I’m entirely aware that learning new stuff will have you compare your life with what’s up here, and I still brought you because this guy,” she nods towards 387, “had some ideas I considered beneficial to the hive as a whole and drones are part of those. So, are you going to stop shaking and focus? Neither me nor 99 and 387 can move freely now and if we want to get out of this without major consequences then we have very little room for error, got it?” she leans closer to 36658, looking the drone straight in the eyes.

And at that point, as it’s looking into the glowing green, slit eyes, something finally clicks within 36658. Never, in no world under the old rules, would it be in this situation, would the Queen be talking to it without it being followed by torture and painful death. They owe High Score and its work with 387 in the logging camp so much more than they’ll ever know, and so much more than it can even tell in a believable story.

“What do we do, Your Maj- Majic- Queen-ness?” 36658 just asks and waits.

“Good,” she pats 36658’s head, “First thing first then - is there a way we could use the Reforger?”

“Chrysalis!” 387 shoots her a disbelieving glare.

“I didn’t mean in a military sense. There’s like ten and a half of us overall in the hive these days. Even if we wanted to use the device in some way all it would take would be a short-term treaty between ponies and literally anyone else and we’d be history, this time for real.”

“According to all we’ve heard so far, the device doesn’t work anyway,” 387 shrugs.

“Wrong!” Chrysalis shoots 387 a crooked smirk, “The machine very carefully danced around the subject but it does something, just not everything it’s supposed to. That means we’re taking it.”

“For the love of holes…” 387 facehoofs.

“Hey, the machine offered!” Chrysalis pouts at him, “We can either take the Reforger away or destroy it. It even accounted for the eventuality, so we’re in the right here. I wish I could talk to it…” she huffs in annoyance.

“Umm, 10101 is in our room,” says 36658.

“I know, but I can’t communicate at that distance to have a chat through one of you,” she explains, “And I can’t just sit for an hour by the main entrance or visit you straight up now that all three of us ‘under arrest’ have eyes following us twenty-four seven. Pretty sure Ten would at least think that I’m working through you and you’d all end up locked in some hole,” she scowls at a wall as if realizing something, “Hmph! And in the same way 1313 and Ten can just read your minds and learn everything. No, we’re getting that Refoger now and figuring out what to do with it, if anything, later… and we’re doing it in secret. Is there an advantage we have?”

387 taps his hoof against the floor.

“Ten did read the drones’ minds last night before all this while we were being questioned,” he says, “So-”

“So he won’t have a reason to do it again unless we give him one. Excellent,” Chrysalis pats 387’s head and the warrior growls at her, “This means we can’t help directly, and I don’t doubt that the drones managed to get out of the resort and back in unnoticed only because everything was fresh news and they picked the best time of the day to do it by complete accident. From now on we should act as if all of us, even the drones, have eyes on us at all times. That means no group actions related to the Reforger, having witnesses at all times, and not doing anything suspicious whatsoever.”

“I’d just like to say that even if the drones succeed they might be bringing the device directly into griffon talons. Come on, they can just destroy it without a trace by digging on the spot. Actual disintegration. Poof, device gone,” says 387, “I know you said you wanted it even if it’s partially functional, which is a massive leap of logic based on the semantics of someone you know nothing about in the first place, but we have zero technology. We would need to enlist top tier scientists, and by enlist I mean mind control and give them the device because it’s not in our power to build, staff, equip, and keep in secret a fully operational research facility.”

Chrysalis shrugs.

“Who knows? You get lucky with one correct drone-” she rolls her eyes with a sigh, “No, I want it. That’s an order, or we’re not risking our slowly improving reputation and potentially our lives for it. Understood? It wants our help, we’re not doing it for free.”

By now, 387 does know roughly how far he can push when going against Chrysalis and right now his face is scraping the wall. 36658, as a drone, knows full well that it has no say in a situation like this. If Chrysalis said no to this whole idea then it would be tough luck for 10101 no matter what. This way, the plan is happening but they just have to take the Reforger back with them.

“So, how do we do it?” asks 36658, “We asked Mister Shiny to borrow Miss Cadance’s awesome map and 10101 can help us figure out better where the entrance is.”

“Do that,” Chrysalis nods, “What it looks like from that scribble you have now is that it’s in the jungle but not near the tourist route. 99 took a guided tour yesterday and it looked fairly safe. However, you’ll have to go at night and you’re changelings, so who knows if the natives will be only… evasive.”

“I might have a better idea,” says 387, “Any movement at night will be suspicious, but late in the evening? Everyone is drunk, yelling or singing and also sneaking around. From a guard’s point of view, if a bush moves when it shouldn’t it could be a changeling but it could also be two nobles, who can’t be seen in public together for whatever reasons, banging.”

“Hmmm, not bad,” Chrysalis nods, “but let’s not stroke your ego too much. We can’t rely on that.”

“We could help that, maybe by luring some big names into an area with us? That would bring increased security as well and make it easier for the drones to slip out of the resort. But whom could we persuade without telling them what’s this about?”

“Umm,” 36658 raises its leg, “Mister Shiny likes playing Scufflestick with us. Maybe someone else who is important would like to try too?”

One moment of silence later, 387 starts laughing like a maniac.

“...was just an idea…” 36658 slumps with a frown which lasts only until 387 finally manages to push some words out through the laughter.

“Shining Armor versus Chrysalis, the battle of the century! The score is one for the Queen for her victory in bed, and one for the promoted Prince for kicking her army out of Canterlot. Best of three - It’s the finale we’ve all been waiting for!” the warrior hollers, making 36658’s eyes widen and its mouth to drop in amazement.

“YESSSSSS!” the drone immediately beams at Chrysalis who facehoofs, her irritation matched only by 36658’s re-ignited excitement.

“Are you seeing this, grandma? They wouldn’t dare pull this shit if I wasn’t trying to be all good and proper,” she grumbles into her hoof before stomping with a crack loud enough to make both 387 and 36658 twitch, “Fine! We’ll need to ask some favors of the few friends we still have to make this happen. 387, get ready to visit 1313 again. Promise his wife the drone she wants so much if you have to. Or an egg if she wants to get kinky, I don’t really care. 36658, send me 65536 and, while you’re already there, tell 99 who’s with it that I fully intend to torture her for this entire trip and she knows why, and that her job will be to rope Shining Armor into this,” she looks at 36658 who is barely standing after two full mind reads, one not exactly perfect, “99 will need to read your mind for our conversation so that we don’t waste time recaps. Here’s your free love refill, don’t get used to it.”

***

After grabbing 65536 at the gym and relaying Chrysalis’ message to 99, 36658 returns to the drone suite. There’s no one in the living room, but there’s audible talking coming from the heretic bedroom, so the duo follows the commotion. With the expected exceptions of Smiley and 10013, everyone is inside. 20100 is drawing symbols on a large blackboard according to 10101’s instructions, 99380 is copying them into the hive mind, and 99111 is sitting by the table next to the robot over the once again disassembled radio.

“Woooow!” 65536 immediately trots over to 10101 and starts poking it, “You look like Mister Bucket, only smaller. Sorry, I got carried away. I’m 65536,” it backs off and offers a hoof to shake which the robot takes.

“Your friends named this unit 10101. Are you aware of what help I asked of your friends?”

“Yup, 36658 brought me up to speed and told me the plan,” 65536 nods.

“Plan? I didn’t know we had a plan already,” 20100 floats down from the top of the blackboard, “Nice! What is it?”

“How about we take a quick break while I explain?” asks 36658, “10013 decided that telling 387 and the Queen would be the way to go, and…” it hesitates, “I agreed with its arguments.”

“Alrighty,” 20100 shrugs, “We could use a short rest. Right, 99380?”

The newbie drone nods and smiles.

“It’s getting easier and easier to save all that stuff, but my thinky ball still hurts.”

“See? Let’s take a breather,” 20100 sits down with an expectant look at 36658, “So, what are we doing?”

36658 explains the Queen’s idea regarding the late evening distraction in full detail. It’s slow and some pieces require repeating but in the end it’s much less draining than mind sharing and they’re all going to need all the love they can get. While it does so, 10101 studies Cadance’s map and measures it several times before pointing out a much smaller area of what it calls roughly fifty of its ‘standard units’ in diameter.

“Hmmm,” 65536 rubs its chin, “387’s idea is good but I think we can improve it.”

“GASP!” 99111 leans back.

“I agree with 99111,” says 20100 carefully, “That’s not something you usually get to say twice.”

“No no no, lissen!” 65536 lowers its voice conspiratorially despite there being absolutely no reason, “While it would be easier to search with all of us, the narrowed down area is pretty small so we should be okay if there’s only a few of us, maybe those who already know what they’re looking for and me, because I have experience walking through the Everfree forest on hoof.”

“I really, really want to go,” says 99111, “There must be so much to see!”

“Not really,” 36658 shoots it down, “We won’t be entering without 10101, so if you want to learn more about your mechanical stuff you can keep talking to 10101 while we search.”

“Oh,” 99111 glares at 36658 for a moment before saying, “...grumble grumble you’re right grumble grumble…”

“10013 and I should go,” suggests 36658, “We know what to look for, 10013 knows the best way to explain to others what we find, and I… can fight a bit too. 20100, 99111, and 99380, you can keep doing what you’ve been doing.”

“No, that’s where we can do my improvement,” says 65536, “You see, I think we can use the fact that normal ponies, and much less the griffons, can’t distinguish between us to make them think we’re all still here in the resort while the three of us sneak out. The only ones who look a bit different are Smiley with its size and you, 36658, with your scars, and Smiley is the easier one to make out.”

“True, so how do we use that?”

“We’ll have to forgo an evening of drawing blueprints, which is okay because if 99380 keeps doing this the whole day it’ll be exhausted anyway, and doing only thinky stuff all the time can’t be healthy,” 65536 shakes its head, “We’ll leave 10101 in the suite. Sorry, 10101, but I don’t think we can keep you hidden in plain sight, and if the griffons are trying to get into the underground tunnels to find these robots we shouldn’t just parade you around.”

“A sensible choice,” replies 10101.

“Thank you,” 65536 continues, “So I want everyone to be as visible as possible and move around as much as you can,” it beams, “Enjoy all the attractions, be loud, be happy, have fun and, most importantly, be seen! If you do it well enough and if we are sneaky enough then no one has to know we ever left the resort.”

“And if they do?” asks 20100, “You know, it’s always a good idea to have a plan B.”

“Ha! But I already have a plan B, and it is… waaait for it…” 65536 doesn’t lose the tiniest bit of its cheer, “It is that we’re not doing anything wrong, we just don’t want to get followed. The Queen and the high ranks are the ones under house arrest, not you, and we won’t be taking 10101 with us.”

One by one, the drones exchange stunned looks.

“Oh…”

***

“REPRESENTATIVES OF THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE!” 99’s voice booms over the promenade. She’s been following the duo for a while, polishing her idea and waiting for the best time to spring the trap. Shining and Cadance turn around while Prism covers Cadance’s back and Glintstone takes his place by Shining’s side. Of course, every guest, vendor, and resort guard in the vicinity looks their way with various degrees of openness, “IN THE NAME OF THE QUEEN, I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!” 99 points at them with an intense expression.

“I’m sorry, what?” Shining steps forward, one eyebrow raised.

“A DUEL OF STRATEGY AND INTELLIGENCE,” calls out 99.

“She isn’t talking about that drone game, right?” asks Cadance quietly.

“O ho ho,” Shining allows himself an evil grin, “If she is…”

“A BEST OF THREE GAMES OF SCUFFLESTICK IN A PUBLIC SQUARE THIS EVENING!” 99’s voice cracks by the end and she starts coughing and walking closer to the duo, “I’m sorry for yelling, I just wanted to make this as public as possible,” she smiles, “The Queen saw how enamored the drones were with their game and, since this trip is mostly for them, wanted them to see their game played out in public in front of others.”

“I don’t mind playing against Chrysalis,” Shining shrugs, casual poker face activated.

“The Queen, however, is challenging Empress Cadance,” says 99, “Let me quote her - I got her husband, she decimated my army. Let’s settle this once and for all,” Shining chokes on his saliva while Cadance’s eye twitches. While 99 isn’t yelling anymore, she’s still loud enough for creatures around to hear easily and she knows that if Cadance refuses… well, it’ll be a joke to tell at some party at worst. To guide the duo through their shock and towards conflict, she adds quietly, “Don’t worry. She said she’d let you win and allow herself to be publicly humiliat-”

“We accept and I will crush her insect ass fair and square!” Cadance retorts, yelling at 99’s face, “Also, don’t take offence at the ‘insect’ part. You are a changeling citizen of Equestria, your drones are adorable critters, but your Queen is a love sucking insect parasite who deserves a Raid enema!”

“I… will make sure to never tell her that,” 99 blinks, backing off from a smile so obviously forcibly plastered on Cadance’s face.

“So, Caddy, I get that we’re doing this?” asks Shining.

“Pff,” Cadence lets out a fake, hoity-toity laugh, “It’s just a game, Shiny.”

“A game no version of which you’ve never played while she’ll have 99’s and the drones’ knowledge in her head,” he objects.

“You’re silly, Shiny. How hard can it really be?” she waves her hoof dismissively, “You move some pieces like when you oversee the Crystal Guard drills and you roll the dice a bunch.”

Shining’s head finally catches on. He knows his wife and he also knows that others often see his wife as a dumb bimbo, an empty figurehead. If she’s playing into that perception, somepony is in for a nasty surprise.

“Well, 99,” Shining nods, “I think you can tell your Queen that we accept. A fair, best-of-three match, no throwing.”

99 bows deeply, mostly to cover her victorious smirk. When she rises up again, her poker face matches Shining’s and Cadance’s.

“Thank you. I’m sure the drones will appreciate it to no end.”

“Of course,” Cadance nods politely, “Anything for the little ones.”

***

“Another day, another eight hour shift on the beach?” asks 387, approaching 1313 sitting under an umbrella with Zeri who tensed up the second she noticed the warrior and hasn’t relaxed yet. In the distance, Zamira and the other two zebra bodyguards are swimming as tiny dots. One of the zebra dots makes a circle around Zamira, points towards the beach, and all three zebras start swimming back.

“What can I say? Zamira loves swimming,” 1313 shrugs with a smirk, “Perhaps I should invest in a pool back home. Holes know we have the space,” he hums to himself, “A public one, maybe?”

“Well, from all I’ve heard about you you seem to be doing alright, so I won’t be plugging any of my urban development ideas,” 387 chuckles, “May I sit down?”

“Sure,” 1313 pats the sand next to himself, “And while I’m getting used to the company of some of your rank you can get straight to business. Or did the unthinkable happen and you’re not working?”

“Heh,” 387 sits down, “Always working, 1313. The hive never sleeps.”

“You had so many ways to not make this sound creepy, yet you went with that one.”

It’s taking 387 some serious self-control to not shuffle around when he knows that Zeri moved into his blind spot during the conversation.

“Sorry. I guess I now know how Chrysalis feels because she does that all the time,” 387 sighs, “Let’s get to business then - I need a favor. Technically, a rather strange thing happened today, unrelated to the ship incident, and I’m still not sure what to think of it myself, but…” 387 stops and tries to gather his scattered thoughts, “It’s nothing… I need… we…” 387 facehoofs, “Look, for a strange reason we’re trying to make a Scufflestick game between Chrysalis and Shining Armor happen. I don’t want to tell you why, but I obviously know you can read the drones’ minds about our current… weirdness. Feel free to do it if it counts towards your help, but you won’t be allowed to tell anyone, not even your wife.”

“You’re sounding beyond suspicious, you know that?”

Yes!” 387 kicks the sand, “It’s stupid, but I promise that it’ll make sense… some parts of all this, if you read the drones. 1313, I know it’s hard to believe but you’re genuinely not on the Queen’s radar. If you share what you find in the drones’ minds, you will be.”

“And we’ve arrived in the threat territory. Took a little longer than I expected, but we’re here.”

“No! No,” 387 shakes his head, “I’m sorry. We just need this - you, this evening, at the Scufflestick game. Preferable with some friends. I need eyeballs there, that’s all. Nothing else, nothing suspicious, all we need is a mob watching the game.”

“On one hole, it does sound harmless,” 1313 rubs his chin, “On the other - Chrysalis.”

“What’s going on here?” asks Zamira, still dripping water all over, who finally made it back from the sea.

“387 wants our help in organizing a flash mob audience for a board game of Chrysalis against Shining Armor, the more eyes the better,” summarizes 1313, “And I’ll supposedly figure out whose movement he wants to hide and why if I read the drones’ minds but I won’t be able to tell anyone. Is that about right, 387?”

Infiltrator to the bone. I guess thinking he wouldn’t figure it out was optimistic at best.

“You hit the nail on the head,” 387 nods and leans closer to 1313, “Look, you know we had nothing to do with sinking the ship, I know you checked the drones’ heads the second you heard about our house arrest, but what we’re dealing with now is completely unrelated, we just can’t let griffons watch us. You won’t even be doing anything illegal or even morally wrong, and you might get to see Chrysalis get taken down a peg in a game of tactics.”

“I know Chrysalis wouldn’t send you without a bargaining chip.” says 1313 after a moment of thinking.

“The drone you wanted,” 387 looks at Zamira, “Chrysalis is willing to send you either a newly hatched drone, one hurt beyond healing who would be in a much greater danger in the hive, or… an egg directly implanted by her… with all the bells and whistles, for any or both of you. She’s a 700 year old infiltrator Queen, I’m sure she knows tricks with both males and females no matter the species that no one else does. That’s what Chrysalis offers.”

“Zamira? I think this is more your choice than mine,” 1313 looks at the zebra, “I don’t mind helping and, from what I’ve gathered so far by linking up through 99380, they’re not lying.”

“As tempting as it would be to see what a changeling Queen is capable of, pregnancy is the one part I’m not looking forward to and I already have the changeling I need,” Zamira leans against 1313, “So if 1313 believes this isn’t dangerous for us then I guess we can help. In the name of diplomatic relations, right?” she winks at 387.

“I’ll relay your answer to the Queen and we’ll discuss the drone later,” 387 stands up, bows, and leaves.

“Zami, any ideas on how to organize a mob?” asks 1313, “We’ll need some bigger names to draw the attention of the griffon guards there.”

“Future aunts, how do you feel about using your feminine wiles?” Zamira looks around at the trio of bodyguards.

“As long as you promise not to call me a future aunt again, I’m in,” smirks Zaida.

“Honey, I know how happy this will make you as long as we don’t get some disguised spy, so let’s draw some attention,” Zeri winks at Zamira.

“You two play honeypots, I’ll keep watching the lovebirds here,” Zara nods, “Juuust in case.”

“You too, Zara,” Zamira shakes her head, “I can’t be getting all lazy and unaware so I’ll do the bodyguarding myself for the evening.”

PreviousChapters Next