• Published 20th Nov 2021
  • 442 Views, 6 Comments

A Feathisian in Vanhoover - Eltirions



A trader from Feathisia pays a visit to the - formerly - Equestrian city of Vanhoover.

  • ...
0
 6
 442

Docks

Vanhoover was not a beautiful city.

Johannes had been in many ports around the world. Rottendedam, of course, his hometown. Skyfall, far too chaotic for him but very lucrative too. Manehattan, bustling and immense, a true giant amongst cities. Most recently, Las Pegasus, with its stark difference between business and pleasure.

Vanhoover, if Johannes had to compare it to any of the other places he had visited, was Las Pegasus with all of the business and none of the pleasure. No floating casinos here, no sir, just docks and industry as far as the eye could see.

Truth be told, the griffon didn’t mind it. He was here to sell his goods, not throw away money gambling.

What he did mind, or at least noticed, was the city’s mood. Anticipation was in the air, anyone with a pair of eyes could see that. The city was now the capital of the Vanhoover Commune, one of the states that had sprung up out of Equestria as it ripped itself in two.

Johannes didn’t care about what the Alicorn Sisters did to their country, as long as he could come ashore wherever he wanted and sell his wares, whatever they were at the time, without issue.

And for that, Vanhoover was still open. Evidently their new political ideology hadn’t stopped them from recognising the usefulness of trade.

He’d try and see what he could haggle his various goods away for tomorrow; for now, he was going to look for somewhere to have dinner. Anywhere would suffice, as long as it wasn’t too expensive and the food was decent. Johannes was far from a picky eater, after all.

Whistling a little tune, he continued to stroll along the waterside, partially watching the sunset but mostly looking at all the ships in the harbour. Most of them were Equestrian, and not just civilian vessels, military ships as well. Probably ‘acquired’ from the Equestrian Royal Navy.

‘’Sir, is there a reason you are carrying that sword around?’’

Johannes turned his head towards the source of the voice, a stern-looking pegasus mare wearing the uniform of a police officer.

‘’I don’t plan on harming anyone, officer,’’ he replied truthfully. ‘’I carry the sword for defensive purposes only.’’

The pegasus didn’t look very convinced. ‘’Are you expecting to be attacked, sir?’’

‘’No, but I like to be prepared.’’

The pegasus held his gaze for a moment, then nodded. ‘’Very well. Carry on, and have a good evening, sir.’’

Johannes nodded. ‘’You too, ma’am.’’

And he continued on his way, in search of a place to eat.

Then, in the corner of his eye, something caught his attention. He turned his head to look at it, and frowned.

There were four - quite sizeable - earth ponies standing in the entrance to an alley, all but surrounding a light brown doe, who looked very much unhappy to be in that situation.

Well, that would not do. At all.

Johannes quickly made his way towards them, catching flards of their conversation as he did so, which did not alleviate his worries in the slightest.

‘’Excuse me, is there a problem here?’’ He - almost literally - jumped into the conversation.

One of the ponies turned his head to glare darkly at him. ‘’None of yer business, griff.’’

‘’Yeah, get lost,’’ another pony added.

Johannes raised an eyebrow, then pointedly tapped a claw against the pommel of his sword. ‘’I think,’’ he said, ‘’that you all need to leave this doe alone.’’

‘’Oh yeah?’’ The first pony that had spoken to Johannes - a dark blue stallion - now turned fully towards the griffon. ‘’Or what?’’

Johannes tapped against the pommel louder this time, and tilted his head questioningly. ‘’Well, then I suppose I shall have to call the police.’’

All the ponies chuckled, and the dark blue stallion openly laughed. ‘’They’d never believe you.’’

Johannes doubted that, but he had no wish to actually verify the pony’s bold claim. ‘’Or,’’ he continued in a musing tone, ‘’I could just use this sword I have hanging here.’’

Some of the ponies took a step back, and the stallion glanced at Johannes’ side. ‘’You wouldn’t dare,’’ he accused, but there was a nervous tone to his voice.

‘’Oh, I definitely would,’’ Johannes replied truthfully in a chipper tone. ‘’You see, I can’t let you go about harassing anyone. And whereas the police might just give you a fine, I’d give you a lot more.’’

Five on one weren’t terrific odds, but Johannes knew how to use his sword, and none of his opponents could fly.

He locked eyes with the stallion. For a few moments, there was silence.

Then the stallion looked away. ‘’Come on lads, we’re leaving.’’

Johannes and the doe watched the group of ponies as they walked away down the docks. Once they were far enough away, Johannes turned towards the doe. ‘’Are you alright, miss?’’

‘’I’m fine, thanks to you,’’ the deer replied, big green eyes shining slightly. ‘’If you hadn’t stopped to intervene, though, things might have gone from bad to worse.’’

Johannes tipped his head in acknowledgement. ‘’I did what any decent person would have done, miss.’’

‘’Yet you were the only one who did something,’’ the doe drawled. ‘’I’m Mirka Kanerva, by the way.’’

‘’Johannes Wijdewoud,’’ Johannes introduced himself and stuck out his claw. ‘’Pleasure to meet you, miss.’’

‘’The pleasure is all mine, Mr Wijdewoud,’’ Mirka said. ‘’Are you new here?’’

‘’I’m a trader, miss,’’ Johannes replied. ‘’I sail the world and trade whatever goods I end up carrying in my ship. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.’’

‘’That certainly sounds interesting,’’ Mirka remarked. ‘’I currently work in a cafe on the docks. The Vihreä Lohikäärme - a mouthful, I know. It means Green Dragon in Equestrian.’’

‘’An Olenian cafe, I take it?’’

‘’Indeed,’’ Mirka confirmed. ‘’I was just headed there; my shift’s soon.’’

Johannes sensed the question before Mirka asked it. ‘’Well, I needed a place to eat anyway,’’ he quipped. ‘’Do you mind if I accompany you, miss?’’

‘’Not at all,’’ Mirka replied, ‘’and call me Mirka.’’

‘’As you wish.’’

Good deed for the evening was done, and it seemed the evening was liable to get far more interesting yet. Johannes did not mind any of that, at all.

Author's Note:

I got inspired tonight and wrote this in one sitting. Do with it what you will.

Comments ( 6 )

I love this silly Johannes Griffon. 10/10

Johannes had been in many ports around the world. Rottendedam, of course, his hometown. Skyfall, far too chaotic for him but very lucrative too. Manehattan, bustling and immense, a true giant amongst cities. Most recently, Las Pegasus, with its stark difference between business and pleasure.

Had he been to Ditrysium?


Nice story.
Although it does feel like it it just the prelude to something bigger.

11056512
He has not. And I don't plan on turning this into yet another longfic, or even giving it a sequel. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon.

If i was in Vanhoover, would I meet some peeps named Caitlyn Bairstow, Ian Hanlin and their dog Nester 🥺. I always wanted to meet them.

‘’That certainly sounds interesting,’’ Mirka remarked. ‘’I currently work in a cafe on the docks. The Vihreä Lohikäärme - a mouthful, I know. It means Green Dragon in Equestrian.’’

I get what you did there.

You don't want to be in the wrong parts of Bywater at night, that's for sure! :trollestia:

Login or register to comment