• Published 22nd Sep 2021
  • 7,223 Views, 523 Comments

New Noses To Know - Irrespective



Baked Bean and Princess Celestia have welcomed their newborn into the world. Now the fun begins.

  • ...
16
 523
 7,223

13. - Shadows of the Past

* * * *

For perhaps the first time in his life, Baked Bean was not so eager to get answers.

Obviously, the history of the ancient peytral was deeply personal, and Bean felt like an intruder who had walked right into the middle of something he shouldn’t have. If it were up to him, he would be content to forget the whole episode had ever happened.

But some small part of him said that it was essential for Celly to share this with him. Nopony could come to terms with the past by running away from it, as he had learned from his own experiences. Together, they would explore this darkness, and with any luck, Bean would be able to help her see the light.

She’d certainly done the same for him many times before now, already. The more he thought about it, the more he realized that it was his turn to support her, and he would do whatever it took to bring peace back to her troubled heart.

With that resolution behind him, Bean took a moment to check on Apollo in his bassinet in their bedroom. Their son had been fed, his diaper was changed, and he was now sleeping peacefully. Celestia had been relatively quiet during the trip back to Canterlot, with most of her words being to comfort and console their son. After Apollo had fallen asleep, Celestia left to retrieve something from the drawing room, and Bean surmised it was a book that would give the background and history of the peytral.

He didn’t have to wait very long. After a few anxious minutes, Celestia returned with a tea set in her magic. An old, ragged book sat between the sugar bowl and the teacups, and Bean felt his curiosity returning with a vengance.

Celestia said nothing as she set the tray down on the nearby table and lowered herself onto the cushions and pillows. Bean moved to snuggle in beside her, and she levitated the book to him with a small frown.

His first thought was that this was a journal of some sort. The pages were uneven and ragged, the binding was nothing more than some rough stitching with some thick thread, and the cover felt like tree bark. After looking it over for a moment, he gingerly opened the tome, and found a tight, neat script that looked very elegant and practiced. The words were in Old Equish, however, so he glanced up to Celly for help.

“This is Lodestone’s journal.” Celestia’s gaze was distant, her words soft and thoughtful. “He and his wife, Sunny Skies, were earth ponies who were deeply in love, and lived a simple, humble, and contented life together.”

“In the Pre-Unification Era?” Bean asked.

Celestia nodded. “Upon departing for what would become Equestria, Chancellor Puddinghead sent out a decree for all earth ponies to follow her and colonize the new land before those ‘icky’ pegasi and unicorns figured out where they were. She believed that if she could gather enough ponies, she could either frighten the other tribes away, should they find their location, or fight them off if need be. She was most dismayed when she found the pegasi and unicorns arriving at the same place. It was my scheme, but that is a detail for another time. While I am sure you will want to read the entire journal, let’s just read through the parts that pertain to my earlier attitude for now.”

Celestia’s magic sprang to life, and before Bean’s eyes, a layer of magic provided familiar modern letters without disturbing the underlying text. She then gently motioned for him to read the translation, and he skimmed the page before beginning.

“‘Day one on the trail.’” he dictated evenly, taking his time. “‘Chancellor Puddinghead has issued the call for all earth ponies to join her in the journey to a new land that she somehow obtained a map for.’” Bean paused. “I recognize a familiar hoofprint.”

“Indeed,” Celestia responded. Bean went on.

“‘I am looking forward to starting a new life in a fertile land, and hopefully Sunny and I will finally have peace for our growing family. I confess that I am worried about Sunny’s pregnancy, but I am resolved to do whatever I have to do to make sure she and our unborn foal will arrive safely. To that end, we will be traveling with everypony in our meager village, and it is my hope that, by taking the journey together, we can protect and watch over each other.’”

Celestia’s magic gently turned a few pages. Bean waited for the translation spell to finish before starting once more. “‘Day thirty three. Winds light from southeast. We made good progress today, hindered only by one river crossing. The delay was minimal; the river would more accurately be described as an ankle deep stream, and we forded it without trouble. Once camp was struck, I prepared a hearty turnip and radish hash for the company to enjoy. The ground here seems fertile and clean, so I have asked several ponies to search for more wild plants and vegetables to replenish the supply wagon.

“‘Day thirty four. Winds negligible. We were unable to make any progress today, due to a most peculiar development. Shortly before dawn, a small group of pegasi stumbled onto our camp, each of them looking quite ragged and desperate. As we prepared to drive them away, we found that several of their foals had eaten poisonous mushrooms and one had been taken severely ill. Against my own better judgment—and, I suspect, the general desires of the earth ponies—I was able to concoct an antidote for the afflicted, and as I write, she is resting and recovering with her family. The pegasi have agreed to depart in the morning, and thus far, have been nothing but grateful and respectful towards us.

“‘I find my feelings are rather conflicted. For many long years, we have been tormented by the pegasi and their endless aerial raids, and I cannot even begin to count how many earth ponies have perished because of their horrendous actions. Yet when I saw that small filly, thin from malnourishment and suffering so acutely, I could not stand idly by. I found myself thinking of how desperate I would be if my foal was in that situation—and indeed, how desperate were the pegasi, if they were willing to lay aside all animosity and beg for our assistance! Enemies we may be, but in this moment, I feel as if something has changed between all of us.’”

Bean paused in thought. “So, these ponies discovered the magic of friendship before Hurricane, Puddinghead, and Platinum did?”

Celestia nodded. “Read on.”

“Day thirty five. Winds light from the southeast. It was with great joy that we awoke and found that the afflicted pegasus filly had fully recovered from the poison, and the entire group were most profuse with their thanks.

“‘They proposed a compromise and a truce. They too had been summoned by Commander Hurricane to a new land free of unicorns and earth ponies, but all of them were malnourished and could not complete the journey. They humbly asked if they could join us until they had recovered, and in exchange, they would take on an equal share of the camp’s chores. They also offered to fly ahead, acting as scouts for the party so we could map a route that avoided potential pitfalls and perils, and that would ease the strain of pulling the wagons.

“‘I and my fellow earth ponies debated this for quite some time, but in the end, we concluded that their assistance would be most beneficial. Though we still plan to keep watch over them—and especially over the supply wagons—we will give these pegasi a chance. I must confess, it was my Sunny’s exhortations that convinced us to allow the pegasi to accompany us, but my dear wife is a very kind and loving pony by nature, and she could not bear to turn away even our enemies in their time of need.’”

Celestia gently flipped some pages again. “‘Day seventy. Moderate winds from the north. A faint cold chill in the air, despite the summer sun. Cloud Chaser and Tail Wind report a mountain range in the far distance. I must admit, having the pegasi with us has been a great boon. We have been steered around many hazards thanks to their flight, and with their help, we have found fertile ground rich with wild foodstuffs to enhance our supplies. I believe we all eat better now than we ever did in our old homes. Cloud has, in his playful way, begun to call me Beans, and he believes that I could make dirt taste like ambrosia. I consider myself to be only a fair cook, and I believe they are being overly generous with their praise. So long as they are able to sleep with a full stomach and are nourished for the next day’s travels, then I am content.’”

Bean glanced up, reread the paragraph, then looked up at his wife. “Wait. An earth pony called Beans who’s a cook. Is Lodestone one of my great-great grandparents or something?”

“Read on,” Celestia replied softly, her gaze distant. Bean wasn’t sure she’d heard his question, but he decided to let it slide for now.

“‘Day seventy-one. Moderate winds from the north. Another peculiar development during our journey has delayed our progress. Cloud Chaser reported a small hedgehog of unicorns ahead of us, and we quickly prepared ourselves for an ambush. We would not let those brutes catch us unawares.

“‘The expected attack never came. The unicorns approached under a flag of truce, and explained that they had become separated from their party. It appears that Princess Platinum has also decided to find a new land, and I wonder now if the three tribes are, inexplicably, being summoned to the same location by some grand unseen force.’” Bean snickered. “Or two very tricky future alicorns, maybe.”

Celestia did smirk at this remark. “Despite my size, I have mastered the ability of standing so incredibly still that I become invisible to the eye. They never saw me meddling with their plans.”

“That explains a lot of things, actually,” he said with a quick kiss to her cheek. “Let’s see. Where was I? Ah. ‘After much debate, we decided to allow the unicorns to travel with us until they could determine where their kind had wandered off to. And, again, it was my beloved Sunny who convinced us to allow the snooty unicorns to accompany us. I can only hope that I, in time, may have a fraction of her goodness, her generosity, and her love of all living things.’”

“This most unusual party of ponies continued onward,” Celestia revealed, her magic flipping through the pages once again. “We’ll read through the rest of this another time, but in summary, the magic of friendship began to work in their hearts, and they all discovered how their individual magics, talents, and skills could aid one another.

“But as they pressed on, Lodestone continued to note a growing chill in the air. Puddinghead, Platinum, and Hurricane had arrived in Equestria, and their bickering had again summoned the windigos. The accompanying blizzard was stronger than any before, and it spread far enough to envelop Lodestone’s pioneer group. Food grew scarce once more, but rather than fight over what remained, the three tribes agreed to ration what remained, hopeful that they would soon arrive in their new lands of peace and bounty.”

Celestia then tapped the journal. Bean started reading again, but noticed the original writing had become sloppy and loose, like Lodestone had been shivering when he’d put the pencil to the paper. “‘Day one eighty one. Fierce winds from the north. Bitterly cold. Cloud Chaser and Tail Wind are unable to fly in this weather. Polished Gem has no more energy to melt the snowfall at our camps. We do not know why the windigos have returned, or why they afflict us. Even in these harsh conditions, we have not yielded to the desire to blame one another for the misfortunes of the camp. Very slow progress.

“‘Day one ninety two. Fierce winds from the north. Bitterly cold. I…’” Bean trailed off, and he cleared his throat over Celestia’s deep sigh. “‘I cannot feel my hooves.’”

“Read on,” Celestia whispered, almost pleadingly.

“Most in the company have taken to stripping bark from the trees to fill their bellies. It does little to stem the pains of hunger, or to provide strength to pull the wagons. The adults give what meager food remains to the foals, and to Sunny and our unborn child. She feels terribly guilty for taking when so many have nothing, but none—unicorn, pegasus, or earth pony—will allow her to sacrifice.

“‘We reached another large river, and in our state, none have the energy or will to ford it. Many have broken down in tears, myself included. We cannot bear dodging the ice that flows in the currents. There are no trees for shelter here, the ground is frozen and unyielding. In desperation, we have given Cloud Chaser the last of the good food, and he has flown ahead in hopes of finding some sort of help. I think it is a fool’s errand. We will camp here, on the banks of what we are calling the Tartarus River, gather what little strength we can, and attempt to cross in a few days. Perhaps, if we can get some fires lit, we will be warmed enough to endure.’

“The journal ends there. Did they…?”

Celestia did not reply for several long moments. Her gaze rested on Apollo, deep in slumber.

Finally, she spoke. “Cloud Chaser managed to find his way to Equestria, and while the Three argued with each other in the cave, Luna and I hastened to rescue those beleaguered ponies. We had not yet ascended to alicornhood, so to my great frustration, it took us several days to fight through the snow squalls with our relief wagons to their encampment.”

There was a long pause, and Bean didn’t dare to interrupt. Even after all this time, it was clear that this was a memory that haunted his wife.

A knock came, and Luna slowly entered. “Fair eventide to both of you. Am I interrupting?”

“No. Please, come in.” Celestia gave her sister an eager look. “Were you able to find the potion?”

“Potion?” Bean asked.

“I apologize for taking so long.” Luna produced a large flask filled with a purple liquid and three small goblets. “My search in the archives for the formula was unsuccessful, but luckily, Twilight Sparkle was able to speak with Zecora, who knew the proper brew.”

“The potion before you is one component of a memory spell,” Celestia clarified. “When touched by the magic of an alicorn, it can allow myself or any other Princess to not only see the past, but be present within it.”

“We do not use this potion lightly or frequently due to the extreme exertion needed to utilize it,” Luna added, heading off Bean’s next question. “And… well, as my sister has said, there are some things that are best left in the past. I have no desire to relive the moment when my Star Struck’s mortal journey came to an end, for one example.”

“This moment, however, should always be remembered,” Celestia said. “Though it will be painful to recall for both Lulu and myself.”

Bean could see how much this was upsetting Celly, the emotional strain clearly layered on top of her existing stress. He couldn’t help but feel that, perhaps, this wasn’t the time to dredge up old memories, especially painful ones.

“Before you tell us that this is not necessary, please know that Lulu and I want to do this. Lodestone’s sacrifice should be chronicled, so his memory can be properly honored.”

Bean nodded. “So, I assume I have to weave my magic in with yours to go on this trip into the past?”

“You will need to weave into both of our magics,” said Luna. “Then, together, all three of us can participate in the vision.”

Bean drew in a deep breath, and reached out and felt the warm, comforting, and familiar touch of his wife’s magic.

He gasped a little when Luna added hers. The magic of the night was cool, reflective, and… yes, even dark. Yet, it was not the stuff of nightmares, as one might expect. Luna’s magic was rich, exquisite even. It was almost like a candy made of peppermint and dark chocolate, with a silky smooth undertone.

Then, their horns lit, but oddly, the magic that sprang forth wasn’t their usual gold or blue. It appeared to be some sort of arcane magic, black and red with random inky circles that spat and surged with energy. In a flash, their combined magics struck the flask, turning the liquid within from purple to white.

“Stay connected to me, Bean,” said Celestia as Luna broke away. She poured out three equal measures of the potion into the goblets, and presented them by hoof.

“So, we just drink this?” he asked, unable to keep himself from sniffing the concoction.

“Yes. It may take a moment to take effect, though. Ready? On three. One. Two. Three.”

Bean downed the goblet in several swift gulps. It didn’t taste too bad, but it didn’t really taste good either. It was a rather strange, sort of neutral flavor, defined more by what it didn’t taste like in his head.

Though it would pair well with a nice brie, or maybe some fettuccine alfredo, like a white wine…

And then the potion took effect. A surge of power slammed into the back of his head, making his eyes burn with energy and the hair on his neck stand on end. For several moments, it was like he was being ripped away from his own body, something like having the very essence of what made him Baked Bean being forcibly removed and poured out on the floor.

His sight came back just as quickly as it had left, and he shook his head to try and unscramble his senses. “Did it work?” He looked around for Celestia and Luna, despite the snow drifts that now surrounded him. “Where are we?”

“We are in the past,” Celestia responded, wrapping one wing around Bean and pulling him into a tight hug.

“We are? I don’t feel the cold at all.” Bean looked up at the swirling clouds of snow and ice. It was chilling to see the ghostly apparitions swooping about in the storm, and though he’d never seen windigos in real life, he quickly realized he never wanted to.

“These are but shadows and echoes of what has been,” Luna said, stepping into his field of view. “We cannot interact with the ponies we will see, nor can they see or hear us.”

Celestia pointed to a nearby ridge, and the trio watched on in silence as two unicorns, laden with large tarped wagons, struggled to reach the crest. It only took Bean a moment to figure out that the light grey mare with the pink mane was his wife as a teenager, and that the shorter, navy blue unicorn with the soft, silvery-blue mane was his sister-in-law.

“Sister!” the young Luna cried out, stumbling slightly on an unseen object in the snow that reached up to her barrel. “The storm is getting worse!”

“We must find them before they freeze!” Young Celestia shouted, with a small shake to remove the snow that had built up in her mane, with little effect.

Bean watched on, desperately wishing that there was a way to astrally project his notebook to him. He wanted to record every detail of what was happening before his eyes.

“There!” Young Luna pointed with her horn. “Across the river, Celly!”

Bean’s attention turned. There, he spotted a camp of several dozen unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi, all huddled together near the iced-over banks, looking thin, weak, and on the verge of complete collapse. They had given every last ounce of energy they had within them just to get to where they were, and now there was nothing left.

Young Celestia let out a sharp whinny, and many forlorn eyes turned and stared at the unicorns on the hill with disbelief. Hope sprang to life once more as the sisters galloped down the hill with their relief wagons, their magic clearing the snow in front of them so their progress would not be impeded.

Bean felt the familiar twist of his wife’s teleportation magic, and found himself at the edge of the desperate traveling party. It only took a moment for those who had seen the wagons to accept that they were, in fact, not hallucinating, and they let out a feeble cheer as they prodded those who had remained still.

“Wake up, wake up!” The shout brought Bean to tears. “Cloud Chaser did it! The relief party is here!”

The whole camp stirred as the past versions of Celestia and Luna let out another blast of magic that froze the river in front of them, allowing them to quickly cross over on the ice and to slide to a stop in the middle of the weary group. Desperate hooves reached out, eager for anything to relieve their suffering, and the sisters tore at their wagon harnesses, desperate to pass out the aid they’d brought.

“Celly!” Luna managed to unhitch first, and she rushed to the back of her wagon. “Clear a spot for a fire, quickly!”

What happened next was, quite honestly, a bit of a blur for Bean, even though he was just observing. The Celestia of the past blasted away a large drift of snow with a grunt, the past Luna produced a large bundle of firewood, and another wild shot from Celestia ignited it into a fierce blaze. Blankets, coats, scarves, hats, and warm boots were passed out faster than should be realistically possible, and somehow, a large black cauldron appeared over the fire, filled to the brim with a hearty vegetable stew that was instantly warmed with another shot of magic. Several large kettles were produced, filled with melting ice from the river, and warmed by Celestia. The troubled party weeped with joy as they received the nourishment that they so desperately needed. More fires were lit, and Bean smiled as the two sisters made sure everypony had been taken care of.

“Looks like you both got here just in time,” he said to Celestia, who shook her head.

“Not quite. Look.”

A pregnant yellow mare sat up slightly and glanced around, her face full of concern and fear. “Wait. Lodestone? Lodestone! Where is he?!”

Other ponies began to look around and call out for Lodestone, but he did not answer. The frantic mare sprang to her hooves, but before she could charge off into the blizzard, Luna stepped over and held her back.

“My husband!” the mare wailed. “I have to find him! He’s out there!”

“Remain here,” Young Celestia commanded, her tone almost as strong and authoritative as the one Bean was familiar with. “My sister and I will find him. Do you know where he might have gone?”

“He said he was going to try to get some firewood. He must have gone into that small thicket of trees a ways back.”

“Stay here.” Celestia, along with Luna, headed towards the few thin aspen trees that were in the distance. Bean found himself moving with his wife and his sister-in-law, following effortlessly over the snow as the teenage sisters plowed through the chest-high drifts.

At first, there were no signs that anypony was there, recently or long ago. Bean watched the future rulers as they stomped around and searched for some hint or clue, persevering despite the fierce wind that seemed determined to obliterate all traces of their existence with every step.

“There!” Young Celestia pointed to a faint, almost imperceptible hoof print on the downwind side of a tree. The sisters rushed to the other side.

Bean’s heart tore in half and dropped into his gut as he saw what they saw. A lone pony lay half-buried in the snow, and it was obvious he’d been there for quite some time. A few wispy twigs were piled in front of him, and Bean knew what had happened.

“No. Oh, no, no, no.” Young Celestia moved to check for any signs of life, but she was restrained by her sister.

“It is too late, Celly. He is gone.”

It was all too true. Bean could see nothing but emptiness—and, perhaps, a touch of sorrowful resignation—in Lodestone’s clouded eyes. The Celestia of the past snorted, sniffled, and fought back her tears with a stomp of her forehoof.

“Damn you,” she growled from between gritted teeth. “Damn you and those insufferable fools who summoned you.” Young Celestia rose to her hooves and fired a blast of magic into the sky, screaming just as loud as the circling windigos overhead. “GO BACK TO WHENCE YOU CAME AND LEAVE US ALONE!”

The windigos only howled and wailed more, heedless to the pain and misery they brought to the ponies below. Celestia stood there for the longest time, horn raised towards the sky, her mane flapping in the wind until Luna quietly moved to her side.

“Come, Celly. We can do naught for the dead but mourn. Let us return him to the others.”

Bean felt his wife’s wing drape over him, and he pressed himself into her warm side as her tears began to trickle down his mane. “I can’t even imagine what you must have been feeling at this moment,” he offered softly, while the Celestia of the past gently lifted Lodestone’s body with her magic.

“Anger, mostly,” Celestia replied. “Back then, it was a needless death in my eyes. It still is, to a degree. If Puddinghead, Hurricane, and Platinum had heeded any of the pleas of myself, Luna, or their closest advisors, then Lodestone would have survived. None of the refugees expected the windigos to follow them, and they were completely unprepared for these blizzard conditions, especially since it was the middle of summer.”

“We don’t have to stay here. I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen enough.”

“Let us remain,” Luna insisted. “What happens next will be of utmost importance to this tale.”

“I agree,” Celestia said. “Though it will be difficult to watch.”

As expected, the pregnant mare broke out into hysterical sobs when her husband’s body was brought back to camp. The others in the group were also distraught, but from their grim frost-covered expressions, Bean knew they were more concerned with their own survival at the moment.

Past Celestia and Past Luna continued to keep the various fires going and to provide what little healing they could. A deadly depression overtook the group, and silence reigned supreme.

Bean then suddenly realized that the sky was growing darker. “Celly? Why are you lowering the sun?” he asked, barely catching what he’d said.

“I can’t control it here,” she said wistfully. “And I couldn’t control it then, either. I was still a unicorn.”

“Celly?” Past Luna whispered with some trepidation. “What are we to do now? I fear we have only prolonged the inevitable. We have nowhere to go.”

“I know.” Young Celestia fell silient as the long shadows of night began to overtake them. Eventually, she shook her head and managed, “We can’t just sit here and do nothing.”

Past Luna nodded with a deep frown. “Perhaps we could retreat? There is a chance the windigos have moved from our old lands to here.”

“Maybe, but there would still be no food. I fear our only option is to move on to Equestria.”

Past Luna snorted. “If only we could disperse the foul demons. This group would settle here, and build up a village while they recover. Let the Three freeze themselves in their arrogance, but these poor ponies have suffered enough because of them.”

“We can discuss that in the morning. For now, let’s make sure this group can get some rest.”

“Lulu, could you move us ahead to the next morning?” Celestia asked. “I don’t think we need to see the whole night.”

“As I recall, we mostly tried to feed, warm, and care for the group.” Luna’s magic flashed, and the scene moved before the royals at double speed. “Sunny Skies wept over Lodestone, but eventually, she permitted having his body wrapped in a thin blanket and placed in one of the wagons. I do not believe anypony slept that night, but if they did, it was only in fits and starts.”

“You can control the speed of this memory?” Bean asked, whilst the night flew past him in a blur.

“Dreams and memories are not so different, in the end. Sometimes, they are the same thing,” Luna explained thoughtfully.

The memory resumed at normal speed, but Bean noticed there was still no light. “Um, Luna? Did you go far enough?”

She answered by pointing to her past self, who was looking at the swirling storm of windigos overhead.

“Celly?” Younger Luna asked. “Shouldn’t the sun be up by now?”

Young Celestia snorted in derision. “Yes. Platinum must have ordered the unicorns to keep the moon up to try and force Hurricane and Puddinghead to capitulate. I overheard Iron Hoof telling her to do so before we left.”

“So, are we all condemned to die like this? The great pony nations, destined to destroy each other within the cold darkness of hatred!?”

“No.” Young Celestia stood, her gaze firmly on the eastern horizon. “Lulu, you have been with me from the beginning. We know the tribes are meant to be together and to work together. We’ve seen the earth ponies, the pegasi, and the unicorns do impossible things when they put aside their animosity, and these ponies here are the ultimate expression of that truth.” She lit her horn and spread her forelegs out to brace herself. “I cannot believe, after all that we have seen and done, that we are now helpless and impotent. Come, my Sister. We have defied Platinum’s mad whims before. Let us do so again, one last time.”

“Celly?” Young Luna rose and stepped next to her sister. “Do you really think we can?”

“No. I know, beyond any doubt, that with you at my side we will.”

With that, a surge of magic shot from the young Celestia’s horn, bursting fury and power that even Bean could see far exceeded her natural capacity. With a loud cry of determination and raw willpower, his teenage wife reached out for the sun, grabbed it, and wrestled control away from the unseen unicorns that held it down.

The younger Luna’s horn surged to life, and in like manner, her regal dark magic shot upwards, penetrating the storm and making contact with the moon. Side by side—and with the strength of their sisterly bonds—the two unicorns fought, overcame, and possessed the celestial orbs of day and night, moving them across the sky in defiance of everything and everypony that had come before them.

Bean stumbled back a step when another brilliant surge of magic pulsed out from the Sisters, their eyes filled with sparkling energies that flowed into their manes, down the length of their barrels, down to their hooves, and out to the tips of their tails. He watched in fascination as they rose into the air, and he averted his gaze when a blindingly bright light overtook their forms.

Once his vision cleared, he was treated to a sight that he would never forget. There, hovering in the sky a few dozen feet above the camp, where two unicorns had once been, were now two regal and majestic alicorns, their new wings beating proudly and driving back the wintry winds of the windigos. Celestia’s mane and tail now held the pastel hues that Bean knew all too well, and Luna’s mane and tail had transformed into their familiar midnight pattern as well.

With a series of powerful blasts from both sisters, the windigos were driven from the sky with howls of defeat, and the sun rose back into the sky. The other ponies in camp gawked in stunned silence as the clouds cleared away, and Bean cheered as the future Princesses of Equestria returned to earth.

“I still remember it like it was yesterday,” Celestia said softly.

“As do I,” Luna added. “I am most grateful that Twilight Sparkle’s trial was nothing more than some mixed-up cutie marks. Our ascension came at a heavy price.”

Bean had a thousand questions, but he couldn’t find his voice. He simply sat, watching in a stunned silence as the new alicorns looked over their new wings.

“So, what happened next?” It was the first question he could pin down, but he was worried about the answer.

“We returned to Equestria with the survivors,” Celestia stated simply. “During our return, the Three managed to finally set aside their animosity, so once the snow melted, we were able to travel relatively quickly. Puddinghead, Hurricane, and Platinum were deeply troubled when they saw how abused and malnourished the party was, and when they learned of Lodestone…”

“The lesson was learned all too well,” Luna finished, as the memory began to fade away.

Bean reeled for a moment as he felt himself being stuffed back into his own body, and he was grateful he was lying down next to Celestia. His head was still spinning like a top, and he wasn’t sure if he was facing up or down.

“Could you stop the room please? I’d like to get off,” he groaned.

“The effects of the potion will subside in a moment,” said Luna. “The after-effects are more pronounced since both Celestia and I put our magic in it.”

Bean spread his front legs out, which seemed to stabilize his equilibrium. Once the dizziness slowed to a tolerable level, he swallowed his stomach back into place and focused on the more important issue. “Are you… okay?”

“I am.” Celestia gave him a peck on the cheek, but her frown remained. “You see why I was so angry earlier.”

“Yeah. So, when did you give Sunny the peytral?”

“Luna and I gifted it to her a few years later, at a ball that was held to celebrate the second anniversary of the foundation of Equestria.” Celestia paused, and the corners of her mouth twitched up. “Lulu, isn’t that when you met Star Struck for the first time?”

“It was,” Luna said with a pleased smile.

“We also presented gifts to the other survivors of that ill-fated party, but I’m afraid I don’t remember what was given. I’m sure it’s written down somewhere.”

“And what happened to Sunny after that?” Bean asked.

“She lived a rather normal life, as I recall.” Celestia pursed her lips in thought. “Journey’s End was founded on the spot where she was rescued, and the cemetery is where Lodestone died. His grave was next to Sunny’s, and fortunately, Dig Dug did not disturb it.”

“Probably because he was not buried with anything valuable.” Luna snorted angrily. “Most of the survivors were eventually buried there, so Dig Dug has probably been removing the gifts we gave them. At the time, it was seen as a great honor to be buried with them.”

“We will need to determine what he took and where he sold them to,” Celestia said. “And then we will need to contact the direct descendants of those ponies. It will not be easy to repair the damage he caused.”

“Descendants?” Bean inquired.

“Because the artifacts were taken illegally, the direct descendants of those ponies—if there are any—are entitled to determine if said artifact should be reburied, since it involves exhuming the grave once more.”

Bean nodded, his gaze moving back to the ancient journal in front of him. “And I suppose we start with Sunny Skies.”

“I believe her family will be the easiest to locate,” Luna suggested with a knowing look that was squarely on Bean.

* * * *

“Garby, sweetie? You okay?”

Garbanzo Bean shook himself free of his idle thoughts. “Yeah, sorry. I’m just wondering what Celestia and Baked have to talk to us about.” His gaze went back out the window and over the patio of the Zuerst, and Lima joined him.

“It is a tad peculiar, isn’t it? It’s always nice to have a family reunion, but I wish it wasn’t under such cryptic circumstances.”

“Is everypony here?”

Lima nodded. “Balanced Budget and Adzuki just came in the back with Flageolet. They’re all waiting in the banquet room.”

Garbanzo nodded, but didn’t say anything else. The two continued to watch the outside world, their eyes sweeping the sky in anticipation of a royal air carriage.

“What did you think of that thestral who came in yesterday?” Lima asked when the silence became uncomfortable. “Night Shift, right?”

Garbanzo nodded. “Yeah. A bit young, maybe, but I think she’d work out. We could start her out bussing tables until she learns the menu. She’ll definitely bring in more curious customers.”

Lima scoffed playfully. “That’s all we need. She came across to me like she was a bit… desperate, maybe? I got the feeling she really wanted to leave the enclave.”

“Can’t say I blame her for wanting to strike out on her own. Or any thestral, for that matter. I’d feel cooped up too, if I’d been in hiding like that for so long.”

“There they are.” Lima pointed to the approaching carriage. “I hope everything is okay. Could this have something to do with Apollo or Celestia’s depression?”

“Guess we’ll find out.” Garbanzo moved to open the main door for his son and daughter-in-law, and he offered a welcoming smile.

“Hey, Bean buddy. Celestia.” Garbanzo hugged them both quickly, and he chuckled when Apollo offered a squeal of delight. “And Pollie! Can’t forget you, can I?” He nuzzled his grandson in his baby carrier, which elicited more happy laughs. “Everypony is waiting inside.”

“Good. I appreciate you gathering everyone for this,” Celestia said as they entered.

“So, what’s going on?”

“A little bit of family history,” Baked Bean answered. “Celly will explain everything.”


“So, you’re saying that we’re the descendants of Sunny Skies?” Garbanzo repeated, hoping he’d heard Celestia right. The story she had shared about Sunny, Lodestone, and her own ascension to alicornhood had been quite the tale, to put it simply.

“We needed to be sure, but yes,” Celestia affirmed. “Flageolet, you and your children are legally Sunny Skies’ heirs, and thus, it falls upon all of you to determine what should be done with the peytral that was taken from her grave. Soy, Sevia, I’m afraid you won’t have a final say in what to do, since you are related by marriage, but you’re still welcome to offer your opinion, if you’d like to.”

The gathered Beans glanced at each other. This was quite the weighty decision to drop on them, and right after they’d learned about their family history, no less.

“Princess?” Lentil asked, pushing her glasses up. “Um… how did we get the name Bean, if we come from Sunny Skies?”

“That’s another interesting tidbit, actually.” Baked Bean answered. “While we were looking into the geneology, we found the last will and testament for Sunny in the archives. She gave birth shortly after arriving in Equestria, and she named her son Beans, after the nickname the party had given to Lodestone. He, in turn, named his children after bean types, thus starting the tradition. She left everything to him, but he insisted on having her buried with the peytral, to honor her sacrifice.”

“Did she ever remarry?”

“No.” Celestia shook her head. “She remained a widow. Luna and I would visit her every few years or so, when we could find the time. When she passed, Luna and I made sure to attend her funeral. She lived a contented life with Beans and her friends, but she never fully recovered from losing her husband. Beans later told us he never felt neglected or unloved, but he could always sense an undercurrent of sadness in his mother.”

“That’s also how Celly ended up with the journal,” Baked Bean added. “Beans donated it to the archives just before he passed, to make sure it would be preserved. He had a copy made for himself, but it obviously was lost at some point.”

“So, is that why we say ‘bite the bark?’” Lentil questioned. “Because Lodestone and the others ate the bark off trees?”

“Most likely, yes,” Celestia said. “However, we are getting off-topic. I will be pleased to answer your questions about the history to the best of my ability, but first, you as a family need to determine what to do with Sunny’s peytral.”

There was another long pause, but then Flageolet spoke up. “Celestia, what would you prefer?”

“I must recuse myself from this—”

“Oh no you don’t.” Flageolet cut her off with a firm stare. “You’re part of this family too, Princess Bean.”

Celestia started to speak, then stalled, grunted, and finally sighed. “I suppose I am. My inclination, to be honest, is to return the peytral. But I will abide by whatever decision we make together.”

Garbanzo glanced over his family, his mind filled with memories of his childhood, with his siblings in Flageolet’s household. As he made eye contact with each of them, he could see they were thinking the same thing he was.

“Celestia, I think… well, I think we’d like to have the peytral put on display, if we could.” Everypony else nodded in agreement. “I mean, we understand that it’s a painful memory for you, but I think we all want Sunny’s sacrifice to be known. We don’t want to forget our history again.”

“If that is the decision, then I will personally ensure Sunny’s peytral is put on permanent display in the palace.”

Flageolet stood. “Then it’s settled. Now, I don’t know about all of you, but after all of that, I need a good, hearty meal. Garbanzo, get the stoves warmed up and let your staff know they’re going to be busy. They’ve got a Bean family to feed.”

* * * *

Celestia sat silently, listening to the steady scratch scratch of Doctor Cheerilee’s pencil.

“Hmm.” Cheerilee stopped, made a few thoughtful noises, and tapped her chin. “Forgive me for being a stereotypical therapist, but I’m curious. When the decision was made to display the peytral, how did that make you feel?”

The question caught Celestia off guard, and she thought it over for a moment. “I was… upset, I suppose. Annoyed, maybe. But as I’ve thought the matter over since then, I feel that their decision was the right one, and that I, too, want Sunny’s peytral to be seen.”

Cherilee leaned back, nodding. “I see. Was there anything in particular that changed your mind?”

“No, not that I can think of.”

“Interesting. Your Highness, I think we may have hit on something. You may have a mild case of metathesiophobia, or a fear of change.”

“A fear of change?” Celestia repeated.

“Yes. For a thousand years, you were forced to fit into a specific image and persona for your little ponies. You had to stand alone, the ultimate image of grace, poise, and wisdom. Generation after generation looked to you for inspiration and guidance, and you provided stability to Equestria as a whole. Does this sound accurate?” she asked, and Celestia nodded.

“Now, over the years, you have become familiar, even comfortable, with this state of stasis. Being in this stasis for centuries made it easy to run everything by yourself.

“But then things began to change. Princess Cadance became an alicorn. You took on a powerful protégé, who also became an alicorn. Princess Luna returned and was redeemed. You got married and had a child. Any one of those things would be life-altering by itself, and you’ve experienced all of them in a relatively short amount of time, especially in regards to Baked Bean and Apollo. It is possible that your depression has been caused, in part, by being forced into an entire series of unfamiliar circumstances and not knowing how to handle them.”

Celestia thought the idea over for a moment. “But I wasn’t depressed when I married Baked Bean.”

“Really? What was the first thing you felt when you realized he’d touched your nose?”

The Princess hesitated. “Well… confusion. Then anxiety. I was worried that he would leave, or that he would refuse to marry me.”

“And how did you feel on your wedding day? Excited? Jubilant?”

“No, I suppose not. I was… afraid. Afraid of what my life would be like with a husband.”

“And it could be that you’re experiencing the same thing now. It was easier to adjust to and accept Baked Bean since he has been thoughtful, considerate, kind, and loving. Apollo, like all infants, is demanding, noisy, and unreasonable. He demands that you do everything for him. You’ve never had to deal with something like that before.”

There seemed to be some truth to what the good doctor was saying. “So, how do I overcome this phobia?”

“There are a few things we can try. Giving you some coping mechanisms to use may be beneficial, so let’s start with that.” Cherilee paused for a moment in thought. “Let me look into a few things first. In the meantime, I have a homework assignment for you.”

“Oh?”

“As you go about your daily routine over the next week, I want you to look for things that could be changed, and how you would feel if they did. Now, I’m not talking about small things like if you moved the chairs around in the dining hall or if you painted your walls pink. I mean things like, oh, say if Captain Shining Armor resigned from the Royal Guard unexpectedly, or if you decided to live in the Castle of the Two Sisters again. Don’t worry about the details of how that would come about, but be objective in how you would feel, what you would think. Write your thoughts down, and be honest. Many times, my patients will just say ‘I wouldn’t feel any different’ and not really analyze their feelings. The idea is that by identifying your emotions, we can then discuss what is influencing them and how to work through and change our viewpoints.”

Celestia slowly nodded. “I will keep a record of my thoughts, then.”

“Have Baked Bean help you. Ask him what he thinks you’d think about these changes. Having an outside viewpoint can help us to see things in a new light. Sound good?”

“It does. I will be sure to do all that you ask.”

“Thank you. Now, when would be a good time to schedule your next appointment?”

* * * *

Princess Celestia breathed deeply as she moved towards her personal chambers, her mind swirling with the echoes of her conversation with Doctor Cheerilee. She still couldn’t quite fully accept that she had an aversion to change, since things had constantly changed over her lengthy lifetime.

But then again, there were certain elements of her memories which matched up against the doctor’s analysis far too well for comfort. And to simply discard that advice… would be refusing to allow change.

It was all a bit confusing, but Celestia was willing to trust the process.

“Princess Celestia, ma’am?”

Celestia stopped, turned, and greeted the guard who had called out to her. “Yes, Corporal Larkspur?”

“Princess Luna wanted me to let you know she is expecting visitors this evening.”

“Oh?” One of Celestia’s regal eyebrows slid up. “I wasn’t aware of any scheduled dignitaries. Who is coming?”

“Um… well, Princess Luna has invited my family to dine with her this evening. Constance, Tumbleweed, Marigold, and Mint should be here for moonrise, with the meal to follow. She also wanted me to find out if you would care to join us, but you’re under no obligation.”

“I see. I’ve noticed that my sister seems to be quite fond of you and your family.”

Larkspur’s cheeks took on a pinkish hue. “Indeed, ma’am. My family and I are grateful for her kindness and generosity, though I don’t know what we’ve done to deserve it.”

Celestia chuckled. “I think I do, but I will leave that matter to her and you. I would enjoy sharing a meal with you and yours, but let me make sure my husband has not made other plans.”

“I’ll wait right here, ma’am.”

The Princess of Day strode to her room and softly entered. Apollo should be napping at this time of day, and she didn’t want to wake him.

Her suspicions were confirmed when she glanced into his bassinet. Her son was sleeping soundly, and to Celestia, he looked like a chubby little angel. She gently brushed a stray bit of mane out of his face, then simply stood and admired her son.

For a few moments, she contemplated Cheerilee’s thoughts and advice. Celestia did have to admit that she had a certain way of viewing the world, built up and reinforced over a thousand years of ups and downs while taking care of Equestria by herself. Now that it had been pointed out to her, Celestia could see there really was a great deal of truth in what her therapist had said, and it was going to be difficult to change her perceptions.

But she could do it. For her son, for her husband, but mostly, for herself. It would take time, but she inwardly vowed to turn over a new mental page in her mind, much like the book on her husband’s rather fine butt.

A rather peculiar feeling began to grow in her chest with this resolution. It slowly spread outward, sending little tingles of delight along her spine and down to her hooves. With a small gasp and a few tears, Celestia suddenly realized what this feeling was.

Princess Celestia Bean felt happy.

She reveled in the revelation, her joy overflowing and filling her with delight. The gnawing numbness that had settled in shortly after Apollo’s birth had finally given way to peace and contentment. She felt her love flowing outward like a warm blanket, enveloping his sleeping form and wrapping him up tightly.

There would still be long days and even longer nights ahead, of course. Apollo would still demand her constant attention for several years. This good feeling wouldn’t last forever, and frustration would inevitably settle in sooner than she would want.

But she knew she could feel love and happiness for him now, and even if it took several months, she would be able to feel it again.

All she had to do was keep moving forward.

“I didn’t hear you come in.” Baked Bean slid up and pecked her cheek. “You okay? How was therapy?”

“It went well,” she returned with a smile. “And I am well. Doctor Cheerilee gave me a homework assignment, and I could use your help.”

“Really? What can I do?”

Celestia touched her nose to his. “How do you think I would feel if Corporal Larkspur and Luna started dating?”

* * * *

Author's Note:

With much thanks to Tek for the initial idea for chapters 12 and 13. :pinkiehappy: