• Published 29th Mar 2021
  • 155 Views, 1 Comments

A Sea of Green Turned Black. - sushi4711



A story for the fourth Equestria at War Write off. Follow a father daughter couple as there seeming isolation from danger is turned on their heads.

  • ...
 1
 155

A Sea of Green Turned Black

The sun looked so beautiful from under the patchwork of leaves above her head. The rays barely breached through the dense intercrossing foliage, creating a dotted pattern on the soft grass beneath. The days were quiet, yet if one listened close enough, the buzzing of insects, the rustle of grass, and the slight breeze passing this lone tree atop a hill could be heard. The great plains of western equestria had many isolated farms dotted across the expanse of light green blades reaching towards the sky. How mystical Equestria was, in the great cities of the east, to here, in the empty fields of the west. Chaos and fighting were foreign concepts to the region, far from large population centers and media services. Information turned individuals ignorant, making living all the more blissful. Life was so pleasant here...

"Berry! Berry! Where are ya, I need yer help!" shouted a strained, raspy, and old voice. A lone pone shook her head atop the hill, snapping out of her trance like state. She brushed her forehead with her hoof, disappointed that the peaceful quiet was disturbed by reality. "A shame that everything has to end at some point, that peace is never eternal" she mumbled to herself. It was moments like these that Berry Bloom felt she became wiser than she was, or perhaps it was the sublime aura surrounding her that opened her mind. Nevertheless, she had work to do on the farm, her father couldn't work all alone. She rose from her place on the grass, and trotted downwards to the farm, now pondering what task required her attention, and when she could return to lounging about.

Her father was looking toward a plow, sunken deep in a large muddy pool. It was nearly fully submerged in muck, warm and viscous, one of the last signs of a previous rain. As Berry Bloom approached her father, muttering to himself tentatively, she noticed a series of posts and ropes around the pool, many of which were bent over, some even being dragged into the muddy pool. After gazing upon her father's mess for long enough, she moved to his side.

"Seems we need to do some pullin' huh?" she asked rhetorically.

"Ah Berry, ya scared me!" he exclaimed, startled "but, I'm afraid I do need your assistance with this." She sighed. Her father, or as passing traders called him, Ol' Pebble, was not the brightest individual amongst this region of Equestria. But, his heart was big, as was his will. He had managed to take care of Berry Bloom since they had been left as a pair, and was extremely good natured, an aspect Berry Bloom admired in him.

"How'd it happen" Berry asked, trying to take her father's mind off his mishap.

"Well, I was using this new invention of mine!" That was always how it started, Berry thought to herself. Her father was an inventor at heart, crafting strange devices and tools in his free time, despite their… limited effectiveness. He continued, "It was a harness designed to increase efficiency ya' see? It was meant to plow the crops while also putting them into a basket behind me, which would vastly increase the work to crop yield ratio". He shook his head and motioned with one hoof, clearly enraptured by its intricacies. Berry continued to let her father talk, letting him have his moment of happiness despite the error he made. Tranquility was eternal out here, although passing traders had mentioned "A storm was coming from further west, and it would turn the skies grey for a long time". Berry dismissed these as ramblings of senile old ponies turned meteorologists. It was unlikely any sort of storm would reach this small plot of land, metaphorical or not.

... and that's when I realized I left the cart unattended!" exclaimed Ol' Pebble. Berry whirled on her hooves, she hadn't been paying attention to her fathers continued long winded explanations.

"So you just need me to help pull it out right?" she asked, not wanting to seem like she didn't care about, for all she knew, her only family member.

"Well, er, yes I suppose that's what I need," said Ol' Pebble sheepishly, turning his head away, ashamed at his foolish mistake. His daughter shook her head, and walked into the muddy pool. She felt the uncomfortably hot and thick fluid surround the hoofs, then covering her lower legs. She had to admit, it wasn't pleasant, but she knew it was only the most minor trifle. She paused, and looked about the pool's surface, searching for a harness to stick her head through. Prompted by her surveying eyes, her father explained, in a still more quiet and timid voice, "Ah, yes, the uh, harness has, um, sunken underneath already." Berry rolled her eyes, glancing toward the muck with resentment. She raised her head, inhaling deeply, and flung herself deep into the dark, brown sludge.

The world had turned dark, and senses had dulled. As she tried to pull herself through the deep pool of filth, she no longer felt the warmth of the sun above, now feeling a coolness far beneath the surface. As she half swam, half walked deeper inwards, Berry pondered about the world beyond her residence. She had heard and learned little, only from her father's stories and rumors of travelers. She had heard of the neighbouring country of Changelings, of Dragon Islands, a Buffalo Tribe, and some other groups on the continent. There could have even been more, but she couldn't remember. As the mare continued thinking, she felt a cord brush her face. She suddenly paused, recognizing it as belonging to the cart. After positioning herself, she took the first step, now dragging the cart. Immediately, she was met with strong resistance, the mud strongly grasping the wooden construct. However, Berry was equally strong willed, and with all her might, began to tug up an incline. She cursed her family for having settled on this land, with its unstable and overly soft earth. However, she had no time to think about complaining, only about bringing this cart back up to the surface.

It felt like hours had gone by, trudging through the murky and thick fluid. Berry trudged through the murk, trusting in her sense of direction and using her hooves to sink into the semi-solid dirt and pull her forward, the car harness still around her neck. Her muscles strained heavily, and her eyelids were shut closed. The mare pondered how far she had actually traveled, perhaps only a few meters, perhaps many more. Submerged under slimy, dense, wet substance, Berry Bloom was secluded from everyone, even her father. This deep silence left her mind empty, free from other slight trifles. Enclosed and confined on all sides, the mare gave little thought to what could be happening around her. Even her goal of pulling the cart out seemed to fade…

With a start Berry came back to her senses. Accidentally opening her jaw, she felt as a filthy, disgusting brown liquid entered her mouth, to which she clamped it back down hard. She immediately began to move in a panic, realizing she nearly dozed off, and eager to get rid of whatever may have also been contained in the liquid she nearly swallowed. She started forward, but felt a tug in the opposite direction. Her hooves were locked in the mud, having sunk in due to her slowed progress. Berry began to tug. The mare strained and strained, trying to break free from the grasp of damp earth. She felt a strain in her lungs, losing breath quickly. A lurch forward, one hoof had been freed. Now, more frantic struggles to the other three. She felt the tendrils of filth begin to loosen...another hoof free! But her muscles continued to weaken, their systems shutting down. Adrenaline coursed through her, a feeling that was extremely unusual. Never on the farm was their such urgency or danger. She willed her body forward, pulling free the second to last leg. In a final burst of energy, she pushed her body forward, determined to breach the surface. Her senses began to shut down, just as a slight glow began piercing through the top layer of the mud. She continued, just as she thought she felt the cool air of the evening approaching, her mind went blank.

A murmuring. The sound of utensils. A crackling fire. A taste of damp soil. Taut muscles. A fuzzy vision. Hmm, what's this, the murmuring is getting louder, and is paired with hoofsteps. I wonder what is going on, what an interesting question. Berry felt a sudden presence of her father's snout prodding her mane. "Oh Berry, sweet Berry, I'm so so sorry" said a weary, distraught, and stressed voice, "please, could ya, could, could ya forgive me?" Her father was clearly in distress, but why? The mare's mind flashed back. A tether. A cart. A darkness. Panicking. She furrowed her brow, and tensed her body. Ah, that was it, she was trying to get the cart out of the deep pit. Yet, she was here, in her home, and her bed? How did she get here? Her father, yes, he must have cleaned her and brought her inside. She turned her head to the window she knew was in her bedroom. It was getting dark, and she felt a sudden hunger. It must have been a while since she ate, yet her memory was still unclear. She brought her head back around and nuzzled her father. He must feel truly terrible, Berry privately thought. O'l Pebble, in his crying, depressed, sadness, lifted his head, revealing blearly, misty eyes. "Oh Berry!" he exclaimed, immediately bringing his head closer, "Oh Berry, I'm so, so sorry! I never meant for this to happen, really I didn't." Her father continued on, but Berry no longer paid him attention. She had forgiven him the moment he rushed to her side.

Rising from the bed, Berry Bloom moved her hoof toward her father's mane, and stroked it, calming him. In a raspy and much more strained voice than what she was used to, Berry Bloom comforted her father, claiming that "I am fine, truly I am. You should stop fretting over this. It wasn't your fault." She rose further, and brought herself to a weak, yet standing position.

Pebble raised his head from the bed, recovering from his sudden release of emotion. He stared for a moment, in awe at his daughter's ceaseless perseverance. He quickly shook his head, returning to reality. "You must be hungry, surely so, I made something for ya" Ol' Pebble proclaimed, heading off to the kitchen. Berry Bloom followed, slowly, and with some difficulty, her muscles remaining sore. She felt the warm embrace of the fireplace slowly embrace her, as she lay on the carpet, enjoying the moment. A bowl of salad with fresh fruits and vegetables from their garden was placed in front of her, as Berry's father circled, and came to lay by her side.

"I really am sorry y'know, really really am. I was such a fool to leave it unattended. I'm such an idiot, me and my dumb inventions," Ol' Pebble continued, "I should just stop with them, they only make things worse."

Berry Bloom could take it no longer, "Father! I have had enough! You complain about your actions, and cause yourself even more pain. I have already forgiven you, so please, calm yourself. You are the happiness of my life, your smile makes flowers bloom, and I adore your long winded explanations of all your strange and unique inventions!" She loved her father dearly, no matter his flaws. He was her favorite person in the whole world, albeit one of the only people she knew.

"But, but," her father sniffled, eyes misting over once again,"if I keep inventing, then this will happen again. You could get into more danger because of me!" He began to mumble about his worries again, becoming audible as he began to speak of companionship. "...I wouldn't be able to live normally without anyone. The merchants and traders have stopped coming and going past the farm, leaving me near alone. This storm must be quite despicable to drive everyone away. And if you...you, well, passed on, oh goodness I don't know what I would do!"

Berry Bloom placed a hoof on her fathers head, giving some light pats. "I promise we will weather this storm together, no matter how bad it is." Berry smiled, trying to encourage her father. He reciprocated, "yes, yes...we will! We shall weather this storm regardless of what it is! We will-"

A loud thunderous rumbling began to be heard. The two pones looked around, glancing at one another. This storm was much louder than any they had heard before, and they suspected it was giant. It was also fast approaching, quickly rushing toward them at an unnatural speed. "Quick father, too the basement" Berry exclaimed. The pair trotted downwards into an underground area beneath their dwellings. After closing a trapdoor and locking it, they huddled together in a corner, clutching each other. The great storm first shook the house violently, and brittle objects came crashing down inside it. Then, a loud CRACK, followed by a THOOM, as they heard the wood immediately splinter and shatter. It continued, the sound of the storm rumbling, the lightning striking their house, and surrounding terrain being overturned by humongous winds melding together, into a cacophony of chaos.

It felt like it went on for hours, and finally, it slowly dissipated, the storm seeming to pass. Berry and Pebble waited with bated breath, before the duo climbed the stairs to see what possibly happened to their home. As they rose, the sun had barely crept over the horizon, lightly illuminating the utter wreckage of their home. The fields were squashed and torn apart, the home was crumpled and demolished, the ground around it having craters and scorch marks. But as her father watched in utter terror, a feeling never felt until this moment, Berry looked closer. A broken wall had a somewhat round hole in it, as if something had penetrated through it. The craters were quite large, unnaturally so for even the most wild of storms. The smell of sulfur was in the air, and the sky was a permanent grey. Berry followed the path from their house, surrounded by ash, soot, and overturned earth. She went over to the flattened and dispersed fields, not a single crop remaining. As she got closer, she noticed an otherworldly sight, at least to her eyes.

Travelers had once spoken of their past, some being military officials. They talked of things called, what was it, tanks? Giant, metal vehicles with treads. She thought of this as she scanned all about her house, from fields, to open plain, to the wreckage of the house itself, and too that one lone tree atop the hill, blasted to smithereens from what she surmised wasn't actually lightning. As she looked about, her face turned from bewilderment, to understanding, to horror. This storm was not based on any weather. This storm, which had turned the sky grey, was a storm of blood, of fighting, of tanks and bullets. This storm had come to their little house in an isolated prairie. This, this, was the storm of War. And they were now in Changeling territory.

Comments ( 1 )

A short, but neat, little story!

Login or register to comment