• Published 17th Jan 2021
  • 3,720 Views, 186 Comments

A Person of Her Own - Elu



A Russian girl wishes to have a different life where her own choices matter. Her wish is granted in an unexpected way - she becomes an alicorn and is transported to Equestria straight into the morning court at Canterlot Castle.

  • ...
18
 186
 3,720

Chapter 3: Midday

"This isn't what I expected to get on my eighteenth birthday," Maria joked to herself in Russian once she was all alone in her new room. The excitement and anxiety of the day left her mentally exhausted, yet she still had more energy to burn, so she started pacing around the room. She circled the sofa, then went to take a glance at the outside through the panoramic windows. The view was once again breathtaking, and she struggled to think just how much she was able to see from up there in the castle. She wasn't really used to such heights - she was at the roof of a fourteen-story apartment complex once with her friends, but that's the highest she's ever been to. Of course, the view from there couldn't compare to what she was seeing now. It wasn't just flat fields and forests, but rolling hills, snowy mountains, rivers, as well as villages. The sky was so clear, so saturated with freshness and life. She fumbled with her hoof but managed to open the window, letting more of that mountain air in, and inhaled it deeply.

Truly, it was the beginning of something new for her. However, she still needed to deal with the basics, namely with pony nudity. It was certainly a norm, considering that even the ruler of the nation didn't wear more than four horse shoes, a golden chest piece, and a crown. From what Maria could recall about the other ponies she had briefly seen upon her arrival, many of them also wore no clothes. Those who did, however, only seemed to have jackets and other upper wear, leaving their behinds completely uncovered.

The girl decided to finally disrobe. She was slow, unsure of whether she really should - she had never gone around naked in her apartment. Not that her mother would've allowed it, of course, but that was besides the point. The girl obviously knew what it felt like to go around naked, but she had never done it so openly even in private. Even during her most intimate times with her door locked and her internet browser open on a peculiar website, she kept clothes on just in case. Now... she didn't even have underwear. She decided not to put on her old clothes, deeming them too uncomfortable, in the case of the bra unneeded, and in the case of her pajamas, torn too much to be comfortable. Now her old clothes lay in a pile on the floor near the entrance.

"I'm not really nude, I have fur," she reasoned to herself as she looked at her body, "It's like... clothes I always have. But they're skin-tight. And... they don't hide my privates. My tail kinda does, but not too much."

Maria remembered that time when she decided to visit a nudist beach. She pictured it as an exciting new experience where she would be able to show off a bit and also get a nice tan. She expected to see at least a few well-toned guys, but instead she saw dried up old men as well as a couple more than a bit overweight and about just as old women with floppy breasts extending down past their waists. Naturally, she didn't stay there for any length of time. And now, she very much hoped she wouldn't have the same experience with ponies.

She decided to push those thoughts away for a time and spun around in place, feeling the air brush against her fur, which was quite an unusual sensation. However, it didn't make the sensation unwelcome.

"Look mom, I'm a pretty pony," she joked to herself again, trying to relieve the tension she had felt since appearing this way, "I have a horn," she lightly shook her head to emphasize, "And a pair of wings," she flexed her wings a bit, "I'll be able to fly and cast magic."

For a moment, she wished she could sit down in front of her computer and message a couple people she knew about it. Maybe even the person she knew from the US, the one she had been practicing her English with for some time. Unfortunately, this new world didn't appear to have PCs so far, so she had to make do with what she had. Which, to her, wasn't much - she didn't want to read any books yet, but she also didn't feel like going anywhere either. Where would she even go? Undoubtedly it would be a huge mistake to go out of the castle into an unknown city. Go to Princess Celestia? That was an option, but she didn't really want to answer a bunch of questions the princess certainly had for her.

Maria walked up to the sofa and finally sat down, now feeling a buzz in her entire body. The day had certainly taken its toll on her, yet she planned to stay awake for some time, at least until she could grab a bite to eat. For now, she decided to relax and lightly close her eyes for a little moment. She sighed deeply, nesting into the sofa comfortably. She didn't notice how she fell asleep.

When she dreamed, she saw herself floating among the stars, counting them one by one. Ten, twenty, fifty, a hundred. She never stopped, finding the process pleasant to do. Then, out of nowhere, a ripple went throughout the universe she was looking at, distorting all the stars, making them vague and undefined. A door opened in front of her.

"Good day, miss Vorobyova," a man said, dressed in an impeccable suit and a top hat. He entered her dream, a pleasant smile on his bearded face, "How are you enjoying your wish so far?"

"Uh, what?" she stammered for a moment as a realization dawned on her, "Oh, I'm dreaming," she looked around. It was the first time she had a lucid dream, and it felt interesting. She was looking at things, but they were uncertain, unreal in a way she couldn't quite describe. She felt things, but at the same time felt nothing at all, "Weird."

"Lucid dreaming is quite interesting if I say so myself," the man continued, "You can be rather creative with it if you wish, although not many ever do."

"...Right," Maria replied, feeling her voice inside her head in a way she hadn't felt before. It was like she was speaking without speaking physically, "But, uh... I was good. I guess. But couldn't you give me something not as weird?"

"Maybe, but that part of the deal was entirely on you," his eyes twinkled, "You vaguely defined your wish, and I fulfilled it with my own flourish. You didn't expect me to put you in My Little Pony, did you? Although, this place in itself is quite a bit different than what was shown on TV."

"Genies..." she grumbled.

"Well, I couldn't have known what you wanted in truth," he pointed out, raising his hands defensively, "So, I did what I could, which I knew would work. You humans really need to define your wishes better," he hummed for a moment, "I do, however, know a few that were quite smart about it..."

"So, um, what are you doing here?" Maria asked, still uncertain of what the purpose of his visit was.

"Why, to check on you, of course!" he replied, "I'd hate to hear if your wish came out the opposite of what you wanted, and I will gladly fix it if that's the case. So, did the wish fulfillment go well for you, my dear?"

"Um... I think the, uh, full-fill-ment is fine," she said slowly, "I guess it works? I do have a new life now. And I think I have a choice in what happens now, too."

"Wonderful!" he smiled, "In this case, my job here is done. I'm not sure if we'll be seeing each other again, but it was a pleasure," he bowed and simply disappeared. Before Maria could think too much about it, a knock came from her door, and she woke up.

"Miss Maria?" an unfamiliar female voice called from behind the entrance door, "Princess Celestia sent me to give you lunch."

"Um, yes," the girl replied as she yawned and stood up, "Enter."

The door was pulled open, and next thing Maria saw was a cart full of food being rolled into the room. For a moment, she panicked, realizing she had no clothes on. However, it subsided somewhat when the mare pushing the cart didn't comment or look at her in a weird way. In fact, a neutrally pleasant expression was on her face instead as she pushed the cart forward.

"I'm sorry if I have disturbed you, ma'am," the earth pony mare said, she herself dressed in what Maria figured out was a maid outfit. It was a simple black dress with white trim and a white apron. The mare herself was white in fur, blue in mane that was done in a bun, and golden in her eyes, "I hope the food will prove to be satisfactory."

"Thanks," she replied somewhat nervously as the mare placed the meals on the eating table and revealed them, "Um, what's in them?"

"Whole wheat daisy sandwiches for an appetizer," the maid began, pointing at the meals one by one, "Buckwheat pasta with fried green beans, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger, with soy sauce as flavoring. Then there is a bowl of sliced apple, banana, and pear. To finish it off, there is a vanilla cake topped with fresh strawberries."

"What the cake is made of?" Maria asked carefully. She knew Celestia told her there were no animal products in the food, but she had to make sure just in case something went wrong.

"Flour, sugar, olive oil, vanilla, soy milk, baking soda, salt, and vinegar," the maid listed, "Do you have any other questions, ma'am?"

"Why is there a whole cake? That's mu- a lot of sugar."

"Sugar is an essential part of a pony diet, ma'am," the maid patiently explained, "Magic requires a lot of energy, and sugar is the best at providing it for this purpose."

"Aaalright," Maria said slowly, unsure. Did they really need sugar for that? How do they deal with teeth problems? The maid, when she spoke, revealed her teeth to be in perfect condition as far as Maria knew, "Um, but won't a lot of sugar cause teeth problems?"

"Our teeth have evolved to be quite resilient, ma'am," the maid replied, noting the question in the back of her mind, "However, we do brush our teeth after every meal."

"I think I don't have more questions," Maria finally said, eyeing the food. Her stomach grumbled in anticipation.

"Very well," the maid bowed, "I hope you enjoy the food, ma'am. I'll collect the empty dishes once you're done."

Then the maid left with the empty cart, and Maria pulled a chair to sit down in front of the table. The food smelled very good, even the daisy sandwiches. The girl had never before even heard of any food with flowers in them, so she was interested in seeing how it tasted. However, a question she didn't expect arose - how would she eat in the first place? She couldn't exactly use utensils even if they were provided. It was simple enough with sandwiches and fruit - she could probably pick them up with her hooves and teeth. But what about pasta? It would definitely get a bit messy.

Deciding not to embarrass herself by asking others how to eat, she decided to dive right into the fruit bowl. She didn't realize just how hungry she was, so she didn't notice when she picked it completely clean. Then she used her hooves to awkwardly pick up a sandwich and take a bite out of it. The bread itself was good, and the daisies added some bitterness and spice to it. It was quite a nice sandwich overall as far as she was concerned, so she finished the two she was provided with quickly. Then came the turn of the pasta dish, and she simply dove right into it with her muzzle, slurping in a quite undignified way. The pasta was rich in flavor, had a certain kick thanks to garlic, as well as a bit of that specific ginger taste. After she finished gobbling up the meal, she licked both her muzzle and the plate clean and let out a burp, feeling quite good about herself. It wasn't proper table etiquette, of course, but it didn't really matter to her at that moment. Finally, there was the cake - thankfully, it was pre-cut into ten equal slices, and there was a small spatula to ease them out of each other.

Maria cautiously took the first bite and realized she was in heaven as a throaty moan escaped her maw. The cake was absolutely, undeniably, amazingly delicious! The flavor was rich, the texture was just right, and it all simply melted in her mouth. She hadn't had cake since forever - there were none that were sold without some kind of animal products in them anywhere near where she lived, and she was too lazy to even attempt to bake one herself. However, this one cake made her change her mind - it was imperative she learned to make one or even more different kinds of cakes if they're going to taste so good and, most importantly for her, be cruelty-free.

Once she found nothing more to eat, she was disappointed - she felt like she spent a few minutes at most eating everything. Despite feeling physically satisfied, she'd really like to get more. But then wouldn't she get fat? Her mother always warned her about it despite being quite pudgy herself. Maria, thus, was thin her entire life, although not much skinnier than the other girls. She wasn't quite interested in sports, so she didn't have many body shapes to be proud of either. However, now, she felt like she should start eating more. The flavors of what she was given were rich without being artificial like a bag of chips or instant ramen so many people seemed to enjoy; nor was it bland like boiled barely seasoned potatoes and pasta her mother liked to make. Of course, Maria sometimes cooked for herself, and she did it reasonably well. However, the royal chefs had her beat by far, unsurprisingly.

Maria then decided to follow the advice of the maid and clean her teeth now that she had finished eating. But first, she carefully stacked the plates, from the biggest to the smallest, in one neat stack. Then she went to see what the bathroom in her room actually was.

She opened the door and gasped in amazement - it wasn't the kind of bathroom she was used to. It was a square room with a side at least five meters long, and the roof was domed, adding to the sense of grandiosity the expensive-looking decorations brought already. The floor tiles were made of marble and looked almost seamless, and the center of the floor was made out of shaped tiles that formed a perfect circle where a square bathtub sat, raised slightly above the floor. It was massive, enough to hold at least three ponies the size of Maria. Above the bathtub was a shower head, big and round, and a smaller one that could be detached and used to get into any angle the girl would want. On the corners, regular faucets were present, shining in their perfect gold form. A square curtain holder hung from the ceiling, allowing the bathtub's user to close the curtain to protect the rest of the room from splashes and sprays.

Maria's amazement didn't end there - three out of four walls had alcoves in them: one of them hosted a toilet behind the curtain, another had a floor sink with shelves for various toiletries as well as clearly labeled dispensers for liquid soap and toothpaste, and the third one featured a closet full of bathrobes and towels. The fourth wall featured three floor to ceiling windows which were separated by exquisite columns, letting plenty of natural light in and opening into the same view visible from the main room. Each window also featured a curtain, allowing more privacy if needed.

The bathroom she remembered - a space barely over three square meters - was completely nothing in comparison to this room. No rusted exposed pipes, no yellowed enamel on the bath, no dirty mirrors, no old cracked tiles, no washing machine that shocked her if she touched it wrong, no dust. This one was simply perfect in every way as far as she was concerned. She wouldn't miss the old bathroom not one bit.

Maria decided that she may as well take a long, relaxing bath to clear her head and to rest her body. She wouldn't dream of it in her old bathtub - it was small and couldn't fit her properly past age thirteen. This one was definitely big enough to submerge her body fully, leaving only the head above the water. First, however, she decided to close the curtains on the windows. Maybe ponies didn't really use them, but she hadn't felt comfortable exposing herself to everyone who would, by accident or purposefully, look inside through those windows. She closed the curtains, dimming the room into a perfect half-darkness. Then she went over to the bathtub, adjusted the temperature with one big lever between a pair of faucets, then turned it on. The water came out in a steady and reasonably strong stream from all four, and the temperature of it was already good, not requiring her to wait for it to go up. However, she had to adjust it in order to make it the perfect temperature she wanted. Then she waited.

She inhaled deeply - the bathroom smelled pleasantly, and the water was clear, and both looked and smelled fresh, likely filtered from the mountain streams. The entire feel of the bathroom made her comfortable with taking more time than she needed to, and she certainly planned to soak and relax for a while, to be lost in that feeling of relief for a subjective eternity. It was the least she deserved after the stressful evening and an even more stressful morning in this new world.


Celestia was by herself in her office, her frown deep, and a headache inside her. A blank piece of paper was in front of her, and a quill was ready, ink glistening on its end. For the last hour, she's been trying to come up with a speech to address Maria's appearance, to explain to her ponies what it meant and what would happen in the future. However, she had nothing, not a shred of thought came into her head.

A gentle knock came from the door, yet it almost made the princess wince. Thankfully, she managed to keep her composure.

"Please enter," she said in a neutrally pleasant tone, smoothing her facial features and straightening her posture. As the door opened, she greeted, "Ah, hello, Bright Smile."

"Your Highness, miss Maria has received the meals and, considering the state of the plates after she finished, she greatly enjoyed it," the maid mare said, entering the office and closing the door behind her, "She's taking a bath right now, and she seems quite happy - I heard humming coming from the bathroom."

"That's good to hear," Celestia nodded, the corners of her mouth going up, her headache fading just a little bit.

"However, I personally think she needs to be fed more," Bright Smile continued, "She's quite thin. Not malnourished in any sense of the word, but she could certainly use some more food to grow healthily, especially as a young alicorn. I'll arrange it right away with your permission, Your Highness."

"Go right ahead," the princess nodded, "I think you two will work together greatly with time."

"I certainly hope so, Your Highness," the maid smiled, "She seems slightly apprehensive, but I think we'll smooth it out over the course of her life here."

"That's very good," Celestia nodded once more, "Has she asked any unusual questions?"

"She appears to know little about pony nutrition, Your Highness," Bright Smile pointed out, "Everyone knows sugar is good for you, but she holds a different opinion. However, considering what you've told me, it's not unusual about her. Well, it is hard to believe, but... well, she's either a perfect actress or she's telling the truth, and I'm more inclined to believe the latter."

"She will certainly have to spend quite a bit of time adjusting to our society and, most importantly, to her own body and its needs," Celestia said in confirmation, "And I would definitely like to know more about where she came from and who exactly brought her here and how. I hope you do recognize this is for your ears only because you will be her personal maid."

"My lips are sealed, Your Highness," the maid put a hoof to hear heart, "If no one else has to know, then no one else has to know."

"Very well," the princess nodded, "In this case, I want you to be ready in case Maria needs anything. Check up on her once in a while, but not too often. Make sure she feels comfortable around you, so don't be overbearing. Tomorrow, I'll give her some time of my own so that she can be eased into this new life."

The two exchanged goodbyes, and Bright Smile left the office. Celestia returned to planning what to write in her speech. She truly had no idea - Maria popped out of nowhere without any explanation or forewarning, and the word had already spread about it far beyond what could be controllable. Many letters have already piled on Celestia's desk just in the last half an hour, asking her all sorts of questions about Maria. The princess needed to write a compelling speech that would address both the questions and, of course, all the rumors that had already spread. Some believed Maria to be a changeling - a preposterous claim that wouldn't take long to debunk. Some believed she was a secret daughter of Celestia - which was even more ridiculous. There was absolutely no chance Celestia would be able to hide a relationship as important as this from the public for so long.

Celestia sighed deeply - she saw no way out of this buzz for quite a long time. In a few weeks, the prophecy about Nightmare Moon would be fulfilled as well, making it paramount to solve everything by then so that she would be ready with the new Bearers of the Elements of Harmony to, hopefully, free Luna of her curse.

This was going to be difficult.

A loud pop sounded as her office filled with a bright flash for a moment. In front of Celestia, with an overexcited expression on her face, Twilight Sparkle stood - the unicorn protege of the princess. She inhaled deeply, her eyes wide.

"A new alicorn?!"

Author's Note:

I think this chapter portrays Maria's amazement with the new stuff well. It's a huge contrast with what she had experienced her entire life before, so I hope this doesn't feel like unnecessary filler.

If there are people who feel like Maria's past life sucked a bit too much, I'll tell you right now that the description of her bathroom is my bathroom. Except mine is bigger - around 3.4sqm, plus there's a separate toilet room roughly 1.8sqm. My apartment block is better than the standard soviet "Хрущёвка" housing, at least.

Maria's full name is Maria Vorobyova - Мария Воробьёва. Just a small detail some of you might appreciate.