• Published 21st Dec 2020
  • 1,221 Views, 0 Comments

Hearth's Warming - Xrevias



The Guardians come together to celebrate Hearth's Warming.

  • ...
 0
 1,221

Canterlot

Hearth’s warming, a time of abundant snow, cozy fires, hot chocolate, and gift giving.

Canterlot was no stranger to this holiday. While still the regal city it always was, it now had a festive spirit to it. Houses were decorated with ornaments, wreaths, and streamers, on them. The night air blew especially cold that night, sending shivers through those who weren’t dressed heavily enough. Bright yellow lights illuminated the streets, and smoke puffed out from multiple chimneys.

Overlooking the city, Canterlot Castle had not excluded itself from the festivities. The purple conical roofs of the towers had been topped with a liberal amount of snow thanks to the weather team, along with just the right number of icicles adorning the overhangs. The windows, placed in a spiral-like manner, were framed with gold ribbons which reflected the light from within. The tall gates of the castle were as welcoming and daunting as ever, but it had received some treatment as well. Garlands adorned its portcullis, almost hiding it’s menacing look.

Just inside the gates were two shelters for guards to rest in, and they were decorated with wreaths and tiny lights. To the amusement of the Lunar Guard, the Celestial Guard wore their gambesons to stave off the cold weather that the leather winged mountain ponies were accustomed to.

In one of the many halls of the castle, a silver unicorn stood just outside a pair of doors. Through those doors was a simple dining hall attached to the castle kitchen. As usual, a number of staff, including a fair number of Lunar Guards had taken seats there for their break. Brushing his white mane aside, he pawed on the floor; he’d been waiting for quite a while.

Golden Dusk, butler of Princess Luna, was waiting for somepony. His uniform, a mark of his position, was a simple black tailcoat, but that was where the simplicity ended. Gold accents ran through his sleeves, around his barrel, and even down the tails, matching his lustrous golden eyes. Under his coat, he wore a hoodie of sorts, as shown by the hood resting on his back. Lastly, he wore an ornate yellow tie around his neck, given to him by Princess Luna.

The guards around him recognized the unicorn, not only because of his position, but also because he would always come and wait outside the Royal Kitchen everyday, waiting for a pony. Though, some were dubious as to whether Golden Dusk was a she or a he.

Dusk chuckled, remembering the various scenarios wherein a stallion would ask him on a date, only to be utterly mortified by his true gender. Normally, he would be annoyed by his resemblance to a mare, but some ponies did love him for who he was.

On cue, the doors of the kitchen opened, and different ponies, wearing chef’s uniforms, trotted out. The day shift had ended early; a normal occurrence for when Hearth’s Warming comes around.

His eyes filtered out the ponies unknown to him, looking for a certain pegasus. Golden Dusk caught sight of a wheat-colored, and rather poofy, mane. He smiled as a tan pegasus approached him. Her scarlet eyes glistened in the light.

“Heya, Goldie,” she greeted, yawning.

“Heya, Gem,” he giggled. “Tired?”

Scarlet Gem shook her head. “Me? Never.”

“Hm… I distinctly remember a certain pegasus, with the most lovely shade of scarlet in her eyes, passing out because she decided to run an entire cafeteria by herself,” he smirked.

“Bleh, don't remind me,” she mocked. “And they were lucky I was there.”

“Mhm, and you were lucky I caught you,” he replied, taking the lead as they walked away from the kitchen.

“Please, I let you catch me,” she said, following him.

“Uh-huh.” He rolled his eyes. “ If you want a hug, all you have to do is ask,” he chuckled, wrapping a leg around her.

Scarlet giggled. “Yeah, but then how would I surprise you?”

“What do you mean?”

Scarlet leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek. Dusk faltered in his step, lowering his head. She giggled at him as he retracted his leg, trotting on all four hooves. Unfurling a wing, she wrapped it around him, pulling him close.

“Like that,” she whispered, appeased by the growing red on his face.

Dusk pouted. “We’re in public!”

“They don’t mind!” she chirped, facing the different guards. “Do you?”

The Lunar Guards grunted and shook their heads, showing that they paid no mind to their antics. A few select members grinned, and Scarlet only returned the smirk.

“End me,” he mumbled, trying to disappear from view. After half a year into their relationship, he was still flustered so easily.

“Nah, I love you too much,” Scarlet cooed. “I wonder how much it’ll take for you to turn into a bat?”

“Not much…”

“Because I’m so good at it!” she cheered. “Even Moonie was surprised!”

“How could I forget,” he sighed.

Golden Dusk’s aunt, Mythic Moon, worked as a Royal Researcher. She had come up with various potions and spells that helped lay the foundation of modern magic. She was passionate, but most importantly…

She was like his second mother.

Part of that responsibility was to embarrass her nephew with each chance she got. That would usually resort to him shifting into his bat pony form.

Dusk was born from a unicorn mother and a pegasus father. Unbeknownst to his parents, his father harbored genes of a thestral, resulting in him being born with a low amount of magic and bat-like features. His eyes had slits, like dragons, his teeth had fangs, and there were tufts on his ears. After years of research, Mythic Moon found a way to hide those features through extensive research on thestrals.

Apparently, ponies born with part-thestral genes, generally had the ability to hide their fangs, tufts, and change the appearance of their eyes. Golden Dusk learned how to do so at a young age, to avoid being ostracized by the other foals. Thestrals didn’t have a good image back then.

They eventually discovered that when Golden Dusk gets rather emotional, the transformation breaks, and he goes from being a regular unicorn to a thestral-unicorn… minus the wings.

Fast forward to almost three decades later, his friends – family still took advantage of it.

“Aw, but you’re so cute when it happens!” Scarlet chuckled, nuzzling him.

“I… am not cute,” he stated.

“Yes, you are.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Absolutely not.”

“Absolutely so.”

“Does that even make sense?” he asked.

“I dunno,” she replied. “Also, you’re extremely cute.”

Dusk sighed. “Whatever.”

“Oh, so you do agree with me!”

“I don’t!”

“Face the facts, you’re adorable,” she glared. “Right, guys?”

Lunar Guards nodded with various smirks.

“Don’t bring them into this!” Dusk cried. Pink glowed on his cheeks, and Scarlet could see his eyes had begun to develop cat-like pupils.

“They’re there to back me up, okay?” she laughed. “Also, you should know by now that you should just agree with me unless you want something like this to happen.”

Golden Dusk stammered, looking away from her. Scarlet smirked when she saw extra fluff on the tips of his ears.

“I win,” she said triumphantly.

He faced her once more. His gold eyes had slits, and he had fangs and ear tufts. Dusk hastened his pace, making Scarlet keep up with him.

“Yes, yes, you did,” he muttered. “Are you done with your torment?”

“Hm,” she hummed, sending chills up his spine. “Oh, fine. I’ll save the rest for the party.”

Golden Dusk and Scarlet Gem, alongside their other friends, would gather to have a Hearth’s Warming Eve party. They were like family, helping and supporting one another… and they may as well be the only family they have left.

Dusk made a left turn, and Scarlet swiftly followed him. They made their way through the different halls until they reached a secluded part of the castle. No guards were stationed there, but it was still kept fairly clean. The hallway was completely barren of Equestrian life forms, save for them.

Horn and eyes glowing gold, Golden Dusk tapped a loose brick, making it sink further into the wall. Rocks rumbled in front of the pair, and a section of the wall sunk inside, sliding to the side like a door.

“Looks like we’re the first ones,” Dusk mused. “Let’s go?”

“Yep, I’ve got a couple dishes leftover,” Scarlet agreed.

He took the first step into the secret room. In the center, there was a large round table for meetings and casual gatherings. Around it, large cushions were laid about, ensuring extremely comfortable sitting. Otherwise, they could lounge on the various couches! To their immediate right, there was a small bar with various wines and beverages. Though, they would need to bring their own food, as it was not equipped with a kitchen.

Scarlet Gem took off her white chef’s coat and hung it in a small locker with a gem engraved on the door. It marked it as her own. Golden Dusk did the same with his suit, placing it in his own, gold decorated locker.

Afterwards, Scarlet hastily made her way to a couch, flopping onto it with a small bounce. Dusk rolled his eyes, rearing up in a similar manner to how she had.

“Um… Goldie, please tell me you’re not–”

Dusk sprinted.

“Sweet Celestia–” Scarlet scrambled, trying to get off the couch.

Her legs failed her.

Golden Dusk jumped, and a magnificent shadow of his form dawned upon Scarlet. The mare gulped as time seemed to slow. His gold eyes sparkled with mischief, and hers responded with absolute terror.

“Will you at least let me set the table?” Scarlet asked from under him. Dusk was light, but he still had her pinned on the couch. Out of his suit, he wore a simple black hoodie, one that he had since he was a foal.

Dusk hummed, burying his muzzle in her chest. “Later,” he replied, giggling. “So soft…”

She sighed, relaxing her wings and wrapping her legs around him in a hug. He responded by murmuring and placing his hooves on her side, trying to hold her close. Scarlet giggled and nuzzled his head.

“What if Moonie or the others walk in on us?” she teased.

“Like they haven’t seen us cuddling before,” he retorted. “Besides, they’d probably join.”

Scarlet nodded with a chuckle. She could feel his warm form on top of hers. It was comforting, holding the pony you love close to you. Her scarlet eyes gazed into his dreamily, as if the entire world revolved around them. Golden Dusk smiled warmly, and he inched closer to her muzzle. He lifted a hoof, placing it on her cheek. Scarlet held his hoof with her own, and she too leaned forward.

Her eyes closed as she felt his lips connect with hers. Butterflies flew rampantly in their stomachs, their heartbeats quickening. No matter how many times they would do this, nothing would ever change. Dusk felt her legs relax, and she began to gently stroke his mane.

Dusk pulled back first, still in his thestral form, and a controlled blush on his face. He pulled her hoof to his cheeks, leaning into it.

“I love you,” he stated simply.

Scarlet smiled, wrapping both wings around him, showing her affection. It was common knowledge that pegasi would wrap their wings around their beloved, but this… it always felt like something more to her. Her silky feathers made him feel as though he’d been covered in a soft, snuggly blanket. She wanted to protect him, and she knew he would do the same.

“I love you too,” she replied, nuzzling him. He returned the gesture just as happily, and the two laid there, embracing one another.

Sitting by the table, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna sipped their drinks.

“Have they noticed us yet?” Luna asked, lowering her glass.

“No,” her sister replied. “Though, this is an adorable sight.”

“Yes, one can never get enough of these two,” Luna agreed and took another sip. “Especially my own butler.”

“Bias much?” Celestia giggled.

“Nay, have you seen the little puppy?!” Luna shouted in a whisper. “Simply precious!

Golden Dusk sighed and leaned against Scarlet. The pegasus relaxed some more, and the two were basically an entanglement of limbs on the couch. It was common knowledge amongst their motley family that Dusk was not one to start things, and, as such, it wasn’t a surprise to see Scarlet taking the lead most of the time. By all means, Dusk was a capable leader, but when it came to things like these?

The amount of times he had gotten flustered was… uncountable.

“I do suppose I get what you mean, dear sister,” she hummed.

Celestia looked around, questioningly, before meeting her sister’s gaze once more.

“Now, where are the rest of the Guardians?”

~~~

The night sky was especially cloudy. Snow showered down upon the city of Canterlot, coating it in snowfall. Ponies retreated to their homes for warmth, but that didn’t stop the foals from their play, tossing and running from snowballs. There were even carolers, spreading cheer through their songs; their voices echoed through the streets.

The Meadow Blossom, one of the highly regarded restaurants in the city, was still open, serving customers. Their usual, flora-themed wallpaper had been decorated with various ribbons. Red, green, and other similarly colored orbs hung from the ceiling, alongside some stars and crystal snowflakes. The cushions had Hearth’s Warming figures embroidered into their covers, and tables were set with green and red tablecloths.

“Are you sure you’ll still have room for the party?” a green earth pony asked. “You’ve eaten so much.”

“Yup.” Sitting opposite to her, a blue unicorn stifled a burp, adjusting her ornate glasses. “Just an appetizer.”

The earth pony glanced at the multiple plates laid in front of her. Empty, and rather large plates.

“Sure, Moonie.”

Mythic Moon rolled her eyes and lit up her horn. A napkin floated up to her muzzle, patting down any remnants of her meal. “Relax, Mel, I can eat some more.”

“Probably because you don’t eat at all,” Emerald Melody sighed, looking down. Her black and gray mane hung over her eyes. “Do you eat when you’re tinkering?”

“Uh…” She blushed in shame. “A little bit?”

Mel grumbled. “I’m coming by more often, whether you like it or not.”

“Oh, you know I’d love that,” Mythic smirked.

“Yes, yes, I know.” She held a hoof on top of her foreleg, hovering over her bracer. It was a simple design of black with various green lines running along it. An emerald embedded into it glowed softly, and a bits purse appeared before her.

“Hey, I can pay!” Mythic panickingly put a hoof on her glasses. The white accents began to glow until Mel pulled down her hoof; the light slowly faded.

“I want to,” she smiled. “You deserve freebies as well.”

Mythic blinked, resting her hoof on the table. “Never heard you say that before.”

“Blame the kids,” Mel joked, raising her hoof to signal a waitress.

Mythic laughed. “Yeah.”

Emerald Moon looked over the bill, and pulled out a slightly excessive amount of gold coins. “Keep the change,” she smiled.

The waitress voiced her thanks and excused herself. Mythic Moon tried to stand, but winced.

“I told you so,” Mel deadpanned. “No rush, we only have a schedule to keep.”

Mythic blew a raspberry. “Just… one minute.”

Mel chuckled and nodded. Her bright emerald eyes shimmered in the light, as if they were the rare gem itself. She reclined into her seat, waiting for Mythic to be ready.

She found it strange, their relationship. Not even half a year ago, she withheld her emotions, fearing it would negatively affect her workflow as a guard captain. For years, she kept her maternal instincts at bay, but it only ate away at her soul, slowly chipping away at her sanity. She yearned to hug them, tell them how much she cared for them, and how she would give her life to keep them safe.

Emerald Melody’s team was her family now. Her parents had long since passed, and friends were now family. However, she only slowly opened up only because of the mare in front of her.

Mythic Moon, Royal Researcher and astute teammate, was the one who got her to speak the truth. The truth of why she had held back for so long, and how she truly felt about her family. For that, she was forever grateful. As Mel let herself grow closer, bonds reaching strengths she thought she could only dream of, she developed a certain… attachment to the mare.

Pure white eyes that had cared and loved her drew her into her trap, one that Mel would happily be caught in. Mythic Moon’s embrace would make her heart resound in her head, echoing, and bringing warmth to her face.

The mare had melted her heart. She helped break down her walls and rebuilt them on new foundations: love.

“Mel, I’m good to go,” Mythic called out. “Uh… Mel?”

Mel didn’t hear her, and her face was inscrutable, for the most part, but her gaze was affixed to Mythic’s. Her eyes were sparkling, a sign of happiness. Mythic snickered, knowing that she was absolutely captivated by the mere sight of her.

Mythic Moon waved a hoof in front of her.

“Uh, w-wha?” Mel stuttered.

“Like what you see?” Mythic grinned, standing up. She flipped her white mane, and Mel’s emerald eyes were transfixed to her once more.

“No,” Mel replied, making her frown. She stood up, deftly closed the distance between them, and pecked her on the cheek.

“I love it,” Mel teased and made her way to the door.

Mythic blinked while blood rushed to her cheeks. She tailed Mel as they left the building, before she was swiftly met with a blast of freezing air.

“Ah!” she gasped. She held a hoof to her glasses once more, conjuring a thick white coat that she hastily wore. Insulation enchantments were amazing!

“For somepony so smart, you have your oblivious moments,” Mel commented. She walked forward, starting their journey to Canterlot Castle. The tails of her black coat fluttered with the wind.

“Please. Me? Oblivious?” Mythic choked in disgust. “Blasphemy!”

“And you did not just trot into the cold night air without your coat on,” Mel deadpanned.

“Excuse me, ponies always have their coats on!” she huffed.

Mel facehooved. “Whatever you say, Moonie.”

Mythic Moon scoffed but dropped it. Okay, perhaps she had been a little bit oblivious… but it wasn’t all the time!

“Oh, quit with your pouting, you need to breathe,” Mel chided.

“I can breathe just fine,” she answered, ignoring her puffed cheeks.

“Now I see where Dusk gets it from,” Mel sighed. “Well, like aunt, like nephew, I suppose.”

“Is that an indirect insult to Goldie and me?” Mythic glared.

“No, I’m saying that it’s no wonder the two of you are so cute.”

“Me? Cute? Have you seen yourself?” she grinned. Mythic cleared her throat and paused in her step. Mel’s ears raised in alarm.

The unicorn’s horn glowed white, and her throat was encapsulated in a soft glow. Her usual, confident demeanor had quickly vanished. Mythic fidgeted uncomfortably, her ears folded back, and her lips quivered. She took unsure glances around her, making the earth pony recall an embarrassing event that transpired many months ago.

“U-um… Moonie…” Her voice sounded exactly like Mel’s. “I-I…” She pawed a shaky hoof on the ground, and Mel had a deep shade of crimson on her face. Mythic looked up at her, seeming smaller than before, voice trembling. “ I… I lov–”

Mythic stumbled forward as a snowball thwipped her on the back of her head. Mel gasped and quickly caught her marefriend. Specks of snow blended with Mythic’s white mane, but it was still extremely cold. The pair glared at the general direction from which the projectile came from, and they saw a small group of foals, with one filly especially horrified.

They blinked, gradually craning their necks to face each other. The two broke into a grin, and Mythic’s horn flashed white as a snowball floated beside her. Mel raised a hoof which held a similar object.

“I’m... sorry?” the filly squeaked, attempting to hide behind her scarf.

Mythic stalked forward with a toothy smile. The filly swore that her white eyes were aglow.

“Run.”

The filly yelped as she was swiftly met with a hefty serving of snow. She stumbled back, falling over on the snow, mane covered in the white powder. The other foals cried in retaliation, gathering snowballs and tossing them in Mel and Mythic’s direction.

The older mares ducked behind a tree, preparing a barrage. A colt quickly took their side, chucking a snowball back at the group. He smiled at the pair, indicating his switch of sides.

Mythic grinned and molded snowballs for the colt to use. He thanked her before continuing his onslaught. Not long later, two fillies joined them behind the trees as well, balancing the teams.

“Good choice, kids,” Mythic stated. “Now, on my signal…” Her horn flared white, and multiple snowballs levitated behind her. The foals giggled while Mel prepared her own projectiles.

“Now!” Mythic popped out from the tree, eyes locking onto the various foals opposite to her. They had gathered enough snow to build small hills to hide behind, but that wouldn’t save them. Their smiling faces poked out through it, hooves raised and ready to attack. Mythic, with her unicorn advantage, managed to lob five snowballs over one of the small mounds of snow. Out of five foals, she hit two.

What? She wasn’t Golden Dusk…

“Good shot, Mythic!” Mel commended, hurling snowballs of her own. “Kids, get around them!”

“Yes, ma’am!” their team of foals replied. Using their size advantage, they lurked behind the snow-covered bushes, rounding the other team cautiously.

“Heh, and they said snowball fights weren’t intense!” Mythic mused, dipping behind the tree once more and narrowly avoiding a snowball to the muzzle. She wiped off specks of snow from her glasses.

“Hey, I didn’t say anything,” Mel shot back, dashing to her side.

“I know!” Mythic shouted. “Now, when the foals start throwing, we start pushing!”

“Good plan,” Mel agreed. Her black trench coat was now covered in snow, particles of the powder also dusting her mane.

Mythic Moon rolled her eyes, giving her mane a quick pat down. She took a peak at the opposing team, and the foals were already preparing for one more attack. In the corner of her eye, she saw a bush shuffle and a pastel ear poking out above it.

“Get ready,” Mythic whispered.

“Always will be,” Mel grinned.

At a high-pitched cry of war, Mythic Moon and Emerald Melody darted from the tree and straight towards the enemy. Snowballs were being thrown towards the patch of bushes, and their team retaliated with just as much. Mythic grinned with snowballs floating behind her, and, with a laugh, hurled them towards the wide open foals.

“Mel, you’re up!” Mythic called.

Mel nodded and pushed through the mounds of snow, destroying the enemy’s cover. The earth pony smirked while the foals screamed, scrambling backwards. One filly, tossed a ball in panic. The projectile struck Mythic on her foreleg, making her balance shift and sending her stumbling forward and into Mel. The pair yelped as they fell onto the soft bed of snow.

“Gah, sorry!” Mythic pushed herself up with her forelegs, before pausing and blinking.

Emerald Melody was pinned directly beneath. Her smile was coy and shaky, emerald eyes twinkling in the moonlight. Her dual-toned mane was now covered completely in snow, and so was her green coat. Mel stared directly into her eyes, panting from the excitement of their battle. Mel placed a hoof within Mythic’s own, keeping it there.

Mythic sputtered, attempting to ignore the fact that her heart skipped a beat. “O-okay, uh, we’re in the middle of the field, let’s go before we-”

Mel brought her muzzle forward, making Mythic gasp through her nose. Mel’s emerald eyes fluttered close, pulling the unicorn closer with a leg. Mythic Moon, despite the cold, felt her cheeks warm, and she too closed her eyes. Mel stroked her mane gently, while Mythic leaned into her more.

A chorus of giggles made them swiftly pull back.

“Uh…” Mythic blushed. Her mane, also covered in snow, sparkled from the glitters of the powder in her hair. Her white eyes took swift glances around them, and she stood up on four hooves while helping Mel up.

Mel chuckled and pecked Mythic on the cheek. “Alright, kids, we need to go.”

“Aw…” the foals whined.

Mythic, having fought down her blush, giggled. “Sorry, guys, but it was fun.”

The pair stood up and approached the sidewalk once more. Mythic tentatively took a step right, walking closer to Mel’s side. Mel giggled and nuzzled her lightly, one Mythic happily returned. Mel pulled back, smiling tenderly. Mythic smiled as well, before subtly flicking her head behind them.

Looking over their shoulders, they smiled. “Happy Hearth’s Warming!”

The foals beamed.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming!”

~~~

With Canterlot’s cultured reputation, it of course had some of the finest restaurants in all of Equestria, but for those who knew the city, that wasn’t all that was to be found. Whether it was a home style meal, a fast bite, a club, a pub or a seedy bar, a pony could find what they were looking for. Here, ponies who are looking for a good time but only wanted or had a hooffull of bits to spend would congregate. As the nobles would say, those ponies, or as most would say, the working class the city depended on.

However, there were bars that catered to the strongest of drinkers, especially in the shade district. The Fiery Sea, an old establishment, was well-known for their burning alcohol, as well as their cocktails.

Seated at the bar, two stallions had just finished their fifth round, which, by their standards, was not much. A burly, blue earth pony sat to the left of a smaller red pegasus.

“Are you sure it is wise to drink more?” Azure Spark, the earth pony, asked.

“Please, this is nothing!” Wild Blaze cheered. He flipped his smoky-gray mane to one side. “Besides, we need a primer for the party, right?”

Azure Spark chuckled. “I suppose so, Blaze.”

Blaze nodded. “So, what’ve you got for everypony, Az?”

Az raised his forelegs, showing his silver hoofcuffs. The blue gems embedded in them glowed, and Blaze stared at the light intently. He frowned when the shimmer disappeared.

“Did you really think I would tell you, more so show you?” Az smirked.

“No, but it was worth a shot,” Blaze shrugged, sipping his drink. “Hm, I wonder if the others are there already.”

“Most probably, they do like to be early,” Az responded.

“That they do,” Blaze laughed. His fiery-orange eyes glanced back to his drink. Using his hoof, he made the alcohol swirl in its glass, looking at it fondly. “How long have we been going here?”

“I would say three years at most, that was when we found this place,” Az answered.

“Well, can’t help when things change, right?” Blaze added.

Az blinked. “What are you saying, Blaze?"

Blaze sighed, letting go of his glass and shifting in his seat. He rested both of his forelegs on the counter. He met Azure Spark’s gaze, shoulders slumped.

"Everyone's just... finding their special somepony,” Wild Blaze said softly.

Az recoiled. "What of it?"

Wild Blaze sighed once more. His wings relaxing and falling over his sides. "Look at Dusk and Scarlet, they're so happy. Have you ever seen them smile wider?"

Az shook his head.

“Now, Mel and Mythic. Same question."

Az shook his head again.

"And now us, two drunkards in a bar.” Blaze gestured around the establishment, glazing over the various bottles, drunk ponies, and the fairly dim lights. “Lonely as ever, eh?"

"Please, you are the drunk one," Azure Spark chuckled.

"Maybe a little,” Blaze admitted, “but it’s just…”

"Hm?"

"They found somepony, and we're here... a pair of lonely hearts, y'know?"

Az nodded solemnly. "Yes, but it has been that way for years, hasn't it?"

Blaze laughed. "Yet, Mel and Mythic aren't anymore, are they?"

"Give it time, Blaze, you'll find your mare,” Azure Spark reassured.

Blaze visibly winced at the statement. His wings dropped even farther, and his ears folded back. "Maybe, maybe not, but there's nothing new to being lonely, right?"

"Aye, but we still have our friends… no, family,” Azure Spark corrected himself.

"True... maybe I'm being a fool..." Wild Blaze mumbled.

"It is not foolish to wish for love, Blaze."

"You'd think after all these years, I'd be used to being alone,” Blaze laughed blandly. “How long has it been?"

Az stared at him, mentally attempting to calculate a response to his question. "I could not count," he finally answered.

Blaze chuckled, holding out a hoof and igniting a spark of fire and gazing at it wistfully. Az worried that the other patrons might see, but the other ponies in the bar were either too drunk, too busy to notice, or didn’t realize the significance of a pegasus with fire magic.

"Guess that comes with being a Guardian..." Blaze whispered, a reflection of the fire in his eyes. Tiny, harmless embers fell to the ground, sparkling like glitter, and the fire slowly died out. He took a deep breath and faced Az again.

“Yeah, sorry… I’m being sad,” Blaze apologized. “At Hearth’s Warming too.”

Az shook his head and smiled. “It is no problem, but I feel like we should get going.”

“We should,” he agreed. Blaze folded his wings around his barrel and stood up. For a moment, he seemed fine, until he stumbled and was caught by Az.

“Perhaps, you had too much to drink?” Az grinned, dropping bits on the counter.

“I can walk,” Blaze denied. “Just… let me…” He pushed out of Az’s legs and shakily stood on his legs. He felt a foreleg give out, and he was soon met with the hardwood floor.

“Hm, strange method of ‘walking,’ but if it works, eh?” Az said cheekily.

Blaze groaned. “Okay, fine, I can’t walk.”

“That was all I needed to hear.”

Azure Spark helped Blaze onto his wobbly hooves, and Az placed one of Blaze’s forelegs around his shoulder. Wild Blaze took a step forward, relying on Az to keep his balance. Once more, Blaze tilted slightly to the left, almost making the pair go tumbling down onto the floor.

Az sighed. “I suppose it can’t be helped.”

“What… I can walk… hey!” Blaze shouted as Az maneuvered to get under the small pegasus. Azure Spark’s larger form lifted Blaze up, and Wild Blaze just grumbled on his back. Az chuckled and carried him towards the door, ignoring the dangling limbs around his barrel.

He pulled the door open, before abruptly closing it as freezing air leaked into the establishment.

“Well, we are not getting our coats on like this,” Az mused.

“... I’ve got it,” Blaze answered. His eyes glowed a soft orange, and Az could feel heat emanate from the pegasus’ form. Az caught on, allowing their magic to bond, and consequently letting the heat transfer into his own body.

“And now it’s too hot,” Blaze muttered. “Go already!”

“Yes, yes, little drunkard.” Az rolled his eyes and stepped out of the building. Snowflakes fell onto the two, and they melted into their coats due to Blaze’s magic. With one turn, Az carried Blaze towards Canterlot’s castle.

“I’m not drunk,” Wild Blaze denied, “only tipsy.”

“They are one and the same,” Az responded. “Best close your eyes, lest ponies notice your magic.”

Blaze grumbled and closed his fire-filled eyes. He relaxed on top of Az, sighing.

“And now I know why you had drunk so much,” Az said. “You could just ask if you wanted to be carried like a foal.”

“I am not that small,” Blaze growled, keeping his eyes closed. “And the only reason I’m letting you do this is because I don’t wanna be late.”

“Very well,” Az chuckled. “However, you are sparking quite the reaction.”

Wild Blaze opened his eyes slightly. He quickly noticed the stares of ponies around them, giggling or cooing at the sight of the pair.

“And here I thought I would be the ‘spark,’” Azure Spark joked.

Blaze squeezed his eyes shut and punched Az’s barrel. Unfortunately, he was too drunk, and it ended up being a light nudge. Az jumped slightly, and his attention turned to his passenger.

“Walk faster.”

~~~

The sound of rumbling rocks echoed once more, and Emerald Melody and Mythic Moon entered their meeting place. Inside, they saw the Royal Sisters sitting by the center table. Golden Dusk sat opposite to them, Scarlet Gem by his side, with the latter laughing at Dusk’s expense.

“Aw, what’d we miss?” Mythic pouted as the door behind her closed.

“What do you think, Mythic Moon?” Luna tittered.

“Goldie snuggling Scarlet?” she guessed. “It’s always that.”

“And you would be correct,” Celestia chortled.

Golden Dusk shrunk in his seat, as if he wanted to hide beneath the table. Scarlet, however, held him up with one leg, smirking.

Mel chuckled and trotted towards a Hearth’s Warming tree, decorated with ornaments, and lights strewn about its branches. Her bracer’s gem glowed, and wrapped presents formed underneath the tree. “So predictable,” she commented.

“Goldie snuggle Scarly again?” Mythic cooed, ruffling Dusk’s mane.

Dusk blushed harder, still in his thestral form, but managed to hiss at his aunt.

“Oh, that simply won’t do!” Mythic stated, holding a hoof to her chest. “Do I need to teach you manners again?”

“... No, auntie,” Dusk squeaked as he leaned backwards and onto Scarlet. His aunt laughed and patted his head.

“Good.”

“The pile’s getting bigger,” Mel said, taking her seat. “Where’re the other two?”

“Oh, probably drunk off their flanks,” replied Scarlet as she wrapped a wing around Dusk. “Nothing new, though.”

The sound of rocks moving aside reverberated through the room again, and all eyes turned to see the opening door. Azure Spark entered with a new backpack, Wild Blaze. The latter’s eyes peeked open, glowing a dim orange.

“Are we late?” Blaze asked from atop Az’s back.

“Nah, we were waiting,” Dusk replied, having overcome the torment… for now.

“Correction: one is drunk off their flanks,” Scarlet corrected.

“I am not drunk.” Blaze glared.

Az laughed, easing the pegasus off his back. “Yes, only tipsy, or so you say.”

Wild Blaze tumbled to the side before he regained his balance. His ears twitched at the sound of a snicker, and his eyes glared at everyone else in the room.

“Don’t worry, we believe you,” Princess Celestia giggled.

“It would be rude of us to doubt one of our Guardians, would it not?” Luna smirked.

“Whatever.” Blaze wobbled over to the tree. His collar necklace luminesced red, and presents slowly materialized.

“Give him a mug of beer,” Az said. “Always works.”

“And get him wasted before we even start?” Celestia asked.

The sun princess raised her glass to take a sip of her drink. She halted when it slowly grew two large eyes. Gently, she lowered the glass back onto the table.

“Oh, Celestia dear, that’s when the fun begins!”

Celestia deadpanned. “Hello, Discord.”

The eyes disappeared and a white flash above the room. All heads turned upwards, and they saw a draconequus hovering above them, while some confetti trickled from the ceiling. The Guardians chuckled, including the lunar princess, whereas Celestia had begun drinking excessive amounts of water.

“Greetings everypony!” Discord hollered, floating downwards and towards Princess Luna’s side.

“We welcome thee, Discord!” Luna greeted. “‘Tis is an early time for you.”

“Like I’d miss on the chaos this group brings,” he huffed. “By the way, how’s that going for you, Dusk?”

Golden Dusk flicked his ear, and the collection of wine by the counter had begun to sing. “Getting better,” he said before cancelling the spell.

“Marvelous,” Discord grinned. “In no time, you can be a Baron of Chaos!”

“Cool!” Dusk cheered.

Scarlet giggled. “Why not tell him about your flying lessons?”

Dusk paled, a shaky smile forming on his face, and he avoided all eye contact with the Lord of Chaos.

“Flying lessons?” Discord raised a brow. “What, is the supposed ‘Baron’ still afraid of heights?”

Mythic snickered.

“... no?” Dusk replied.

“Right…” Discord snapped his talons and the two chaos-wielding individuals disappeared from the room.

Celestia gulped down her last glass of water. “None of you are going to do anything?”

“Nah,” the Guardians responded.

“We’ll just teach Discord a lesson if he hurts Goldie,” Scarlet and Mythic echoed.

“I shall join you on that,” Luna nodded.

The clattering of glass drew their attention to the counter, where Wild Blaze stood behind, cocktail shaker in hoof.

“Do we have lemons in here?” Blaze ducked behind the counter.

“Yeah, check the shelves,” Scarlet replied.

“Gotcha, thanks,” Blaze thanked, his head popping out from under the counter and hooves opening a shelf above him.

“Would you like help with that, Blaze?” Az offered from his seat.

“I can reach it!” Blaze snarled. He flapped his wings, hovering a short distance from the ground.

“Aw, you’re only a little bit shorter than me, Blaze,” Scarlet cooed. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Don’t downplay the height difference.”

“Yes, or you may hurt his little feelings,” Mel snickered.

Blaze slowly craned his neck to face Mel, eyes wide, and an incredulous expression on his face. He dropped back behind the counter and placed a hooffull of lemons beside the cocktail shaker.

“Mythic, what have you done with Mel?” He pulled open another drawer.

Mythic Moon pulled Mel in for a one-legged hug while she pecked her cheek. “Given her my love, why?”

Mel blushed slightly, and the Royal Sisters grinned.

Blaze sighed, smiling. “Nice to see a change of pace.”

“Surely you have noticed her shots at us before?” Az inquired.

“Yeah, they’re just more frequent now.”

Another flash, another pony enters the room. However, this time, it was a return of a pony and draconequus. Discord cradled Golden Dusk in his arms. Dusk shivered, forelegs wrapped around himself, as his surrogate lord carefully placed him beside Scarlet.

“Discord,” Scarlet Gem hissed, holding Dusk close.

“What did you do?” Mythic continued with a glare.

“I… may have taken him a... teensy bit too high?” Discord offered, slowly pinching his talons together.

“The stars… they were so close...” Dusk murmured. “I… I could reach them…”

“While I do love my stars,” Luna started, horn flaring a dark blue,” they are to be enjoyed from a distance.

“I couldn’t agree more, princess,” Mythic grinned. Her horn ignited a blinding white.

“Uh, ‘Tia?” Discord pleaded.

“Oh, please, Discord,” Celestia tittered. “You are the almighty Lord of Chaos, surely you can defend yourself?”

“Yes, but an alicorn, a pseudo-Twilight Sparkle...” His eyes flicked to Scarlet. “And a literal tornado is a bit too much!”

“Oh, you drama-queen,” Celestia sighed. “The worst they’d do is kill you.”

“Yipe!” Discord yelped, slithering through the air, dodging the beams sent at him. A lightshow of white and blue luminesced for the onlookers, but the victim of the blasts was panicked. He ducked behind the counter, eliciting a strike from Blaze who was making drinks. Discord was then forcibly thrown up and exposed to Luna and Mythic. He teleported away, while his assailants glanced around the room.

“Mercy?” A white flag held in a talon waved behind Azure Spark.

Mythic stared at the flag before glancing at her nephew. “Goldie?”

“It’s fine,” Dusk said. “I’m over it.”

Discord sighed as if a heavy weight had been lifted from him.

“Very well, dear butler,” Luna nodded, shutting off her magic.

Scarlet nuzzled Dusk. “Should we start?” she asked everyone.

Princess Celestia smiled. The sun princess’ horn glowed gold, and a cluster of wrapped presents fell down onto the main table, the sound of wood being struck resounding through the room. Dusk’s gold eyes immediately lit up as he leaned forward. Scarlet laughed, holding him close. Mythic Moon had already offered her presents to Mel and Az, the ponies sitting closest to her. Blaze shrugged and carried a tray of drinks to the table, while Celestia cleared space by levitating each pony their respective present.

Golden Dusk hummed, gingerly tapping the lid of the wrapped box. “What’s in here?”

“Oh, can’t you wait?” Scarlet giggled.

“Nope!”

“Typical Goldie.” Mythic rolled her eyes, toying with her present as well.

Mel nudged her. “You’re no better.”

“Ah, is this the mug I needed?” Az shook the gift.

“Hey, careful!” Blaze chided. “That might be fragile.”

“Aw, ‘Tia, for me?” Discord cooed, appreciatively caressing his present.

“Thank thee, sister.” Luna set her gift aside.

Princess Celestia looked around her, ponies, and draconequus, were gathered that day to be with her and her sister. Smiles plastered on all of their faces, laughs being shared, a nice spread of food to one side of the room. Sure, this would be nothing to Twilight Sparkle’s parties, but this… it was more than enough.

Luna raised her glass with a hoof, lifting it above the center of the table. Celestia mimicked her sister, and so did the others. Glasses clinked with one another before everyone took a sip of their drink, smiling as they lowered their glasses.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming!”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment