• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,835 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,835

A New Revelation

Author's Note:

Been distracted from posting this all day (irl stuff). Sorry about the late post. Enjoy

~Melody Song

Thorax stepped into the old bedroom where he had slept while living in the Crystal Empire. He smiled as nostalgia washed over him. Flurry Heart and Apex were playing in Flurry’s playroom, which was nearby. Their laughs and giggles reminded him of his own days of entertaining his ‘Young Mistress’.

Cadence trotted into the room beside him, smiling. She had given him a minute to take it in. They’d left it exactly the same.

“I was keeping it the same for you, if you ever wanted to spend the night here on a visit.” Cadence explained

“Thank you Cadence, I-I can’t believe you didn’t change a thing.”

“Of course I wouldn’t. It’s your room now.” Cadence replied, smiling at him kindly. He smiled back gratefully. Cadence then turned to survey the room. “You left a few things behind, I think you should have them.” Cadence’s horn glowed and she levitated a familiar rubber yellow duck to him.

Thorax smiled and took it in his hoof. He held it and pressed it lightly, feeling a wave of wistfulness overtake him.

“Thanks Cadence. You know, Apex might like this. He’s been chewing on things lately, sometimes I wake up and he’s chewing on the blanket or pillow.” Thorax said

“Aww. Do you think he’s teething?”

“Heh, well, he’s five years old, he’s a bit too old for that. It may be that his fangs are growing in, he’s around the age when it happens for nymphs.” Thorax replied “I’ll talk to him about it when we get back to the Hive. He’s having fun with our little ‘Mistress’ right now, I don’t want to disturb them.

Cadence chuckled, then turned. “That reminds me…” she lifted over a familiar journal to him. “Here. Maybe you can use it to write about your new tasks as king.”

“Thanks, Cadence…” Thorax said, eyes watering. Cadence smiled as he wiped his eyes. “I mean, thank you for this, and… and… well…”

“Yes Thorax?”

“I never knew anything close to a mother before coming here. But you… you certainly were one for me.”

Cadence’s eyes widened and she smiled. Thorax laughed nervously and looked away.

“Yeah, I know, grown ‘ling calling someone his mother-”

Cadence cut him off with a hug. “Thorax, it doesn’t matter how old you are. Everyone deserves a mother’s love.”

“...Thank you.” Thorax hugged her back.

“What about your brother? Was Chrysalis ever nice to him?”

“He… she had more respect for him than me, but he was never more than her commander. Though I don’t think he’d ever admit that he missed out on that part of our nymphood.”

“I see.” Cadence said slowly, then they let go of each other.

“Don’t worry, he’s not upset about it or anything, at least, that I know of.” Thorax assured her. “I think he just counts it as another reason he had to grow up fast.”

“What was the other-”

“Cady, I was wondering where you went.” Shining’s voice came from the doorway, and Cadence turned to greet him.

“I was just returning Thorax’s-Shining!” she gasped

Shining was covered in sweat and bruises. Pharynx trotted in beside him, looking equally banged up but wearing a triumphant smirk.

“I take it you won?” Thorax asked his brother dryly.

“Obviously.” Pharynx smirked.

“It was a close win.” Shining cut in. “And I call for a rematch.”

“I might just take you up on that. I could use some more training for the next time a bunny wanders onto the training field.” Pharynx retorted, smirking.

Thorax sighed. “Alright Pharynx, that’s enough. We should probably be going.”

“Papa Thorax!” Apex ran up to them, Sunburst behind him with Flurry. “Flurry can talk!”

“Heheh, yes Apex, she can.” Cadence said

“No, bu’ look wha’ she can say!” Apex pointed to Flurry. Flurry flew over to Thorax and hugged him.

“Th-Thorax!”

Cadence gasped, and Thorax’s eyes widened.

“F-Flurry?”

“Thorax! Thorax!”

“Apex taught her.” Sunburst said

“You did?” Thorax looked at his nymph, pride filling his chest.

“Mhm! ‘Cause she sai’ I coul’ have this!” Apex showed them a stuffed bear made of white fabric.

“Oh, I don’t know about that…”

“Oh, it’s alright Thorax. Flurry has more toys than I can count.” Cadence giggled.

“Oh… I guess it’s okay then…” Thorax picked Apex up, smiling softly at him. Apex smiled and cuddled the stuffed bear. “What are you going to name him, sweetie?”

“Blizzard!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Apex, don’t you think you should stop chewing on Blizzard? You just got him today, we wouldn’t want to wear him out.” Thorax said, watching the little nymph knaw on the bear’s leg.

“Mm-mm…” Apex grunted. Thorax leaned down and nuzzled him.

“Apex, just tell me what’s wrong.” Thorax said, and Apex looked up at him.

“Mm… m-my teeth hur’… chewin’ Blizzy makes them feel be’er…” Apex admitted, snuggling closer to Thorax, who shifted him so he laid on his back.

“Can you let me see?” Thorax asked softly.

Apex cuddled Blizzard close to him and opened his mouth. Thorax leaned in and touched a hoof to the nymph’s mouth, looking closer. Then, his eyes widened.

“Oh, Apex…”

“I-Is… is i’ bad Papa Thorax?”

“Oh, no, of course not.” Thorax lifted Apex in his foreleg, cradling him. “Oh, Apex, my sweet darling baby boy…”

“Hehe… 'm your baby?” Apex asked

“Of course you are my little sprite.” Thorax kissed his forehead.

“S-so wha’s wrong wi’ my mouth?”

“Nothing Apex. Your fangs are growing in.”

Apex gasped “So I’ll be a big changeling? Like Uncle Pharynx?”

Thorax giggled “Yes Apex, just like Pharynx.” he nuzzled him

Apex beamed, then yawned, and Thorax kissed his forehead again.

“Now, it’s time for all good little nymphs to sleep.” Thorax nuzzled him.

“M-my mouth hur’s…” Apex began chewing on Blizzard again.

“Hm… I have an idea.”

Thorax nuzzled him, pulling Blizzard from his mouth and placing him beside Apex. Then, he got off the bed. He rummaged around in the saddlebags he’d brought to the Crystal Empire. Thorax turned to Apex, holding something in his hoof. He smiled as he walked back to Apex.

“When I was living in the Crystal Empire, Shining and Cadence noticed I had a habit of trying to taste things-”

“What’s this about tasting stuff?” Pharynx trotted in, smirking.

“Uncle Pharynx!”

“Hey grub. Now what’s going on?”

“Heh, Apex’s fangs are growing in.”

“‘M gonna be a big changeling like you!” Apex said, smiling as Pharynx went to the bed.

“Alright, but what’s that got to do with Thorax eating stuff?”

“Well, their castle… it was just a few quick licks, the way the light was shining on it made it look like-”

“Tha’ rock can’y s’uff?” Apex asked

“That is what it reminded me of once I saw rock candy for the first time.” Thorax agreed

“So, what’s this about tasting stuff that probably shouldn’t be tasted?” Pharynx asked

“Well near Hearths Warming, there was so much stuff that was perfectly edible that they were using for decoration.” Thorax blushed, and Pharynx raised a brow.

Now you admit it? Where was this when you told me ‘the popcorn on the tree is not food Pharynx, so stop trying to eat it when no one’s look’-er, I mean…” Pharynx blushed, and Thorax smiled

“Shining told me the same thing. See, he and Cadence kind of noticed. They gave me something to bite on so I wouldn’t hurt myself. It was probably meant to be a joke, but…”

Thorax opened his hoof to reveal the yellow duck Cadence had returned to him earlier that day. Apex’s eyes went wide and he reached, poking it. Thorax smiled and passed it to him.

“Go ahead, try biting on it. Cadence told me she cleaned it, it’s fine.”

Apex took it in his hooves, then bit on the head. A loud squeak emitted from it, and Pharynx’s eyes widened in surprise.

“It’s responsive?”

“Mhm. I used to try and coax Flurry Heart into throwing it.”

“To simulate a chase.” Pharynx agreed quickly

“Yeah.” Thorax leaned in to nuzzle Apex. “You can chew on this when your teeth hurt, the only conditions being not in the nursery and not before bed. It’s too loud. But this is going to make a great addition to your toys.”

“Hehe, uh-huh.” Apex snuggled up to Thorax. “Mm… g’night Papa Thorax.”

“Goodnight my baby boy.” Thorax kissed his forehead.

“Hehe, hear tha’ Uncle Pharynx? ‘M his baby…” Apex yawned, snuggling against Thorax before falling asleep. Thorax smiled, but sighed.

“Pharynx…” Thorax began, reaching to stroke Apex’s head. “...Do you think… Apex would be happier with… with an actual family? A mother and a father?”

Pharynx looked at him. “Are you being-? Okay, we’ll do this your way. Why do you think that?”

“Just think Pharynx… I hardly ever have time for him. He can’t come with me to every meeting and even when he does I can’t watch him all the time. I need you to watch him for me sometimes, or even Ocellus. But you two can’t always do that… and I can't always ask you to..."

“You’re right.” Pharynx said “But… Thorax you heard what Apex said in response when you called him… your ‘baby’… he really wants you to be his ‘Papa’.”

“Heh, Pharynx, did you-”

“I know what I said.” Pharynx interrupted, then sighed “The point is, he doesn’t care if you can’t be with him all the time, he still loves you.”

“But… he deserves a parent that can always be there for him…” Thorax sighed

“Thorax, what he deserves doesn’t matter.” Pharynx watched Apex sleep soundly, cuddled up with Blizzard in his hooves and the duck lying by him. “It’s what he wants that matters.”

Thorax looked up at Pharynx, who smiled.

“And he wants you.” Pharynx said “He wants his dad.”

“...Thank you Pharynx. I really needed to hear that, it helped.” Thorax said

“Good, because that made me nauseous.” Pharynx said, and Thorax giggled, reaching over to hug him.

“Thank you Pharynx.”

“Heh… any time bro.” Pharynx said, pressing into the hug.

“I love you.”

“...Love you too…”

“...Heh, Uncle Pharynx.”

“...You little-” Pharynx lunged, but Apex’s soft, content sigh made him freeze. Pharynx sighed and settled for rubbing Thorax’s head hard. “Whatever… Papa Thorax.”

“Hm… goodnight Phar.” Thorax sighed, nuzzling him.

“Night Thor. Now let me go so I can go to my own bed.” Pharynx said

“No, stay here, please?” Thorax asked, and Pharynx sighed

“Okay… for you Thor.” Pharynx sighed

Pharynx climbed into bed and rested against Thorax, who draped a foreleg over him, pulling him close.

“Goodnight cuddlebu-”

“Hm?” Pharynx asked, raising a brow.

“Goodnight Pharynx.” Thorax sighed, kissing his forehead.

Pharynx sighed “Night Thorax.” he muttered, snuggling up against his brother’s side anyway.

Thorax nuzzled him. Pharynx sighed again and hugged him.

“Night… snugglebug…” he finally mumbled

Thorax gasped “Pharynx…”

“...Just for tonight, okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Just for tonight.” Thorax nuzzled him. “Goodnight, you big cuddlebug.”

Pharynx groaned, but pressed against him. “Goodnight, dorky snugglebug.”

“Heh, I love you Pharynx.”

“Love you too little bro.”

And so, the two brothers fell asleep in Thorax’s bed, Apex snuggled up beside them.