• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,818 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,818

Griffonstone Visit

“Remind me again why the grub is here? Or why I’m here, for that matter?” Pharynx asked his brother as they sat on the train heading across the canal that bridged the ocean between the mainland Equus and the continent on which Griffonstone sat.

“Well, you insisted on coming with me, and we can’t just leave Apex behind when both of us are here.” Thorax reminded his brother.

“And why not? He has friends to keep him occupied now, and his friends are close with the only changelings I trust to keep the Hive safe in our absence.” Pharynx retorted, glancing over at the nymph in question.

Apex was bouncing in place next to Ocellus, pretending to be examining the papers scattered around the young changeling. She was nose-deep in a book as usual, only registering Apex’s antics with a flick of her ear. Thorax giggled softly at the two, answering Pharynx’s question as he did.

“You know Apex prefers to know where we both are, Pharynx. He gets worried when we’re gone for too long. And you know why.”

“I know that Thorax, but Griffonstone is no place for a nymph.” Pharynx snapped in an undertone. “You know that.”

“Twilight’s told me that the recently selected new ambassadors for Griffonstone are doing wonders for the overall atmosphere, Pharynx!” Thorax replied chipperly.

“Oh joy, so now we’ll just have to beware of crumbling buildings that eager grubs will no doubt want to explore, instead of rude locals.”

Thorax swatted his brother with a dismissive hoof. “Oh hush you.”

“What are you going to protest with? That there’s no way a curious and energetic little hooffull of a nymph will be interested in the old, rotting, new playground?”

“We can keep Apex under control Pharynx, I honestly don’t see what you’re complaining abou-”

“He’s out of his seat and trying to goad Ocellus into playing tag with him by taking one of her books.”

Thorax yelped and leapt to his hooves. Sure enough, Apex was dragging a thick book steadily out of Ocellus’ reach, giggling mischievously. Ocellus had seemed to finally realize what was happening and was glaring at the nymph.

“Apex, give that back, I need it!”

“No! I’s been claimed’ed by me! Fu’ure King-Gen’ral Apex o’ the chang’ling Hive! Come an’ ge’ i’ if you dare!” Apex called in response, standing on the book proudly.

Thorax lunged to try and snag the little nymph in his hooves, but when he moved, he found himself crashing to the floor of the train car. He turned, glaring at his saboteur, none other than his own brother.

“Pharynx!”

“Oops.” Pharynx grinned at him from where he sat on the train seat, one hoof casually placed on Thorax’s gossamer tail. “Sorry.”

Apex giggled, running by his papa as Ocellus jumped down from her seat in an attempt to get her book back. He dragged the book along with his magic, grinning as he passed by the incapacitated king and smug prince.

“Apex, give it to me!”

“Nu-uh! Mine!”

“You can’t even read!”

“So?!”

Thorax groaned and covered his head with his hooves. He could still hear Apex scampering around the train car and Ocellus demanding the return of her book.

“Well, would you look at that, it’s almost as if I was right.” Pharynx chuckled, now sitting on top of Thorax’s carapace, effectively keeping the alpha changeling pinned to the floor.

“Pharynx, you’re not helping…”

“Sorry. Hey Apex, the king is incapacitated! Want to plan a coup?”

“Okay!”

“Pharynxxx…” Thorax groaned, sighing. Pharynx tapped his little brother’s head with a hoof.

“Wait for it…” Pharynx continued, and Thorax glanced up. As Apex ran over, dragging the book, Pharynx reached and snatched the nymph up. He then deftly pried to book from Apex’s magic and tossed it to Ocellus, getting off of Thorax and sitting back down in his seat. “There. Happy now, brother?”

Thorax sighed and got up, sitting beside Pharynx, who held the struggling Apex. “I don’t think ‘incapacitating’ me was necessary, Pharynx.”

“No, but it certainly was entertaining.” Pharynx chuckled, tossing Apex to Thorax. The alpha yelped as the nymph suddenly landed in his hooves.

Thorax sighed at his brother, while Apex pouted in his hooves. He then glanced around the train car, examining the moods of the other passengers. Ocellus had returned to her seat, her book having been reclaimed. He then glanced over at Pharynx, finding him grinning at Apex, who was still pouting.

“Uncle Pharynx, mut’ny isn’ ‘llowed!” Apex huffed.

Thorax chuckled and cradled the cranky nymph gently. “Apex, be nice to Pharynx, he’s trying to make sure you stay put like I told you to.”

“I go’ bored…” Apex huffed, and Thorax gently placed him between himself and Pharynx.

“If you stay here for the rest of the ride, I promise I’ll let you run around for a bit when we get to the train station, okay sweetie?”

“Okay Papa Thorax…” Apex sighed, curling up between the two. Thorax smiled at the nymph and rubbed his head, looking out the window.

They eventually arrived at the Griffonstone train station, and the changelings made their way off the train. Ocellus was still invested in her book, while Pharynx remained stubbornly scornful on the idea of the visit. Thorax carried Apex on his back, the young nymph looking around curiously.

“Ocellus, you’re the one who’s been reading non-stop about Griffonstone, where do we go?” Pharynx asked, and Ocellus responded, not looking up.

“Their home lies on a mountain near here, they typically fly up. Headmare Twilight did assure us the ambassadors would be waiting there, remember?”

“I don’t listen to half of the words anyone says Ocellus.” Pharynx grunted, opening his wings. Ocellus rolled her eyes and finally emerged from behind her book, putting it away. “Let’s go then.”

“Papa Thorax, you p’omised I could run ‘round!” Apex reminded him, and Thorax smiled at him.

“I know my little hyper sprite. But let’s get up to Griffonstone first, okay?”

“Okay…” Apex sighed, climbing up to Thorax’s head as the alpha took off.

Soon enough, they had reached the peak of the mountain. Thorax and Ocellus followed Pharynx as he landed and looked around. A trio of griffons stood near a broken archway nearby. Ocellus ran towards them, colliding with the smallest of the three.

“Gallus!”

“Hey Ocellus!” Gallus held out a claw, which Ocellus bumped with her hoof.

“I didn’t know you were an ambassador.” Ocellus said as Thorax and Pharynx trotted over.

“Heh… surprise?” Gallus tried, chuckling. “Yeah. I handle the relations with the other kingdoms, or something. Gilda and Gabby do the other stuff.”

Ocellus giggled and he chuckled sheepishly. Thorax smiled kindly at the other two griffons there, a gray griffon and a tan one. Apex slid down Thorax’s neck and flopped down on his carapace. The gray griffon immediately took notice and squealed, jumping closer to the nymph. Apex yelped and grabbed onto Thorax’s neck, and almost immediately, Pharynx stepped between the griffon and nymph.

“Get away, you’re scaring him.” Pharynx ordered her calmly, and she backed away.

“Sorry, he’s just so cute!” the griffon held out a claw. “I’m Gabrella, but you can call me Gabby if you want.”

“It’s nice to meet you Gabby.” Thorax said, shaking her claw politely when Pharynx made no effort. “I’m Thorax, that’s my brother Pharynx, our sister Ocellus, and the nymph is my son Apex.”

“Wait, sister?” Gallus asked Ocellus, who nodded shyly.

“Gilda.” the tan griffon introduced herself, dragging Gabby backwards. “Sorry about her, she has way more enthusiasm than is normal.”

Gabby giggled and hugged Gilda, smiling at her. “Aww, don’t be such a grump, Gildie!”

“Gabs, get off.” Gilda gently shoved her away, then beckoned with a claw for the others to follow her. “Come on, we can continue at the old castle, it’s pretty demolished but it’s big.”

Thorax nodded and followed the two griffons in. They made their way through the city, which seemed to be in ruins. Apex had jumped off of Thorax’s back and was weaving between the older creatures, looking around. Ocellus and Gallus began keeping an eye on him, herding the youngling back towards Thorax or Pharynx whenever he strayed too far.

“Here.” Gilda led them up a flight of stairs into the ruins of a castle. “Pretty much the only stable room here is the old throne room, so I’d keep an eye on the kid.”

Thorax nodded and picked Apex up, though he squirmed. “Papa Thorax, you p’omised!”

“I know Apex. You can run around a little if you want, but stay where I can see you, okay?” Thorax said, setting the nymph down. Apex giggled and scampered off, trotting around the throne room.

Apex chose not to pay too much attention to what the adults were talking about. He instead began exploring the room they were in. Apex leapt onto a wood pedestal, then jumped back down. He giggled and tackled imaginary enemies, then rolled into a mound of gray.

“Heheh, hey there!” Gabby picked up the nymph, smiling at him.

“Hi…” Apex said shyly. Gabby smiled at him and offered him a golden biscuit with an acorn on top.

“You want one? They’re Griffon Scones, Gildie makes them herself!” Gabby said, and Apex took it eagerly, nibbling it.

Apex beamed, nibbling it. “I’s good!”

“Right?” Gabby giggled and set him down. “Oh! Wait right here! I have an idea!”

Apex tilted his head in confusion as the griffon dashed off, and trotted back to Thorax and Pharynx. He curled up between the brothers, and each one rubbed his head gently before returning to the conversation. Apex giggled and closed his eyes, dozing off. Soon, he felt someone picking him up, and recognized Thorax’s scent. He smiled and snuggled into the hoof holding him.

“Papa Thorax…” he mumbled, giggling when he felt something soft bump his nose.

“You don’t have to-”

“It’s okay King Thorax, I don’t know why I still have it anyway, it’s been years since I used it.”

Gabby’s voice punctuated Apex’s dream. He opened his eyes, seeing the soft beak of a griffon plushie. He giggled and reached his forelegs out, locking his hooves around the plushie and pulling it towards him. Gabby stood in front of him, smiling. Apex smiled back, looking up to see Thorax above him, smiling.

“What do you say Apex?”

“T-Thank you Gabby…” Apex whispered, clutching his prize. Gabby smiled and gave him a pat on the head.

“No problem little guy!” she said, smiling at him.

Thorax chuckled and carried Apex out of the ruins of the castle, the others following him. Apex held the griffon plush with one hoof and clung to Thorax with his other.

“Did you have fun sweetie?” Thorax asked, and Pharynx rolled his eyes.

“Mhm! Gabby’s fun!” Apex giggled, and Pharynx snorted.

“She acts like the pink pony with too much sugar.” Pharynx snorted as they began flying down the mountain. “The other two were more reasonable.”

“Yeah, because they act like you.” Ocellus taunted, and he punched her in the shoulder.

“At least I didn’t stay buried in my book the whole time, sis.” Pharynx retorted, grinning.

“Hey! I was listening!”

“Sure you were, and Thorax kicks puppies.”

“No I don’t-! Oh…” Thorax blinked in realization. “Pharynx, Ocellus, be nice.”

“I will if she will.”

“I will if he will!”

Thorax sighed and flew a little ways ahead of the two as they continued to banter. Apex giggled and hugged the plushie, smiling at Thorax. He smiled back and nuzzled him.

“Don’t listen to them, my little hyper sprite. They’re just being silly.” Thorax chuckled, and Apex smiled.

“I know Papa Thorax. Celly an’ Uncle Pharynx ‘re the bes’es’ a’ bein’ siblin’s.” Apex said, and Thorax laughed, making Apex smile.

Apex smiled and hugged the plushie, snuggling closer to his papa. Soon, they landed at the train station, just in time to catch the train that would take them home. Apex smiled, closing his eyes, content in his papa’s hooves, holding his new toy.