• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,816 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,816

Tensions Build

Apex was giggling and laughing as he ran through the Hive, looking behind him at the two nymphs chasing him. They were younger than him, one was a mostly pink female, the other a mostly pale green male. Their names were Scorpia and Capillarie, and they were Ocellus’ little siblings.

Thorax had left Apex in the nursery for the day, and though the little nymph had been adamant about playing with the other nymphs, Capillarie and Scorpia were quick to approach him. Now, they were racing through the halls like they’d been friends forever.

“Heheh, we’re gonna get you Apex!” Capillarie cheered

“Nu-uh! ‘M winnin’!” Apex cried as the nymphs slipped past the adult changelings in the hallway, eliciting surprised yelps from the adults.

The three nymphs ran into the throne room, laughing, but skidded to a halt at the sound of something that wasn’t usually heard in the Hive. Yelling.

Apex’s ears flattened and he shut his eyes tight, memories of Chrysalis yelling at him resurfacing. However, before he could slip too far into that painful recollection, a warm hoof had wrapped around him and scooped him up. Apex smelled the familiar fruity scent of Thorax, and burrowed close.

“P-Papa Thorax?” he opened his eyes, seeing Thorax smiling down at him softly. He then looked up, ears flattening as he saw the source of the yells.

Pharynx was in an attack stance, teeth bared and snarling out responses to the two changelings in front of him. Capillarie and Scorpia’s parents. Their names were Oculus and Pupae, and though they were transformed, they still relied greatly on the Old Ways. Apex knew this from hearing Pharynx complain about them, which was usually whenever he vented to Thorax while they were cuddling with Apex.

“For the last time, no! Now get out of here before I throw you out by your tails!” Pharynx shouted

“We’re not leaving until we get permission!” Pupae insisted, slamming a hoof on the ground. “Those ponies have trespassed on our Hive’s land long enough!”

“That town is at the very edge of the border, it’s hardly getting in the way.” Pharynx remarked, eyes narrowed.

“That doesn’t sound like the Pharynx I remember.” Oculus said, eyeing him. “The old Pharynx would’ve insisted we launch a full-scale attack on them for even considering taking an inch of our territory.”

Pharynx’s eyes widened and he stepped back slightly. “N-No, I-”

“That must be it. Last I heard, you were set up to become King once Chrysalis eventually passed on. But look at you now. Content to take a back seat and let your weakling brother’s decisions be the law you enforce, rather than yours.” Oculus continued, grinning at him.

“Perhaps we were right, you have gone soft, Prince Pharynx.” Pupae said snidely.

Pharynx shook his head and lunged, slamming both his powerful front hooves onto the ground in front of the two, causing the ground to shake. He snarled at them, the remnants of his fangs glinting in the light.

“That is enough!” Pharynx bellowed, glaring at them with cold eyes. “You two have said enough today, get out of here or I’ll force you out!”

Pupae turned away from him, seeing Thorax and the nymphs. Thorax had been comforting Apex, who was beginning to tear up. He then stepped forward, placing the little nymph on his back.

“Pupae, my brother’s right, it’s best you and Oculus leave…”

“Fine.” Pupae snapped, striding towards the doors, Oculus behind her. “Capillarie, Scorpia, come with us.”

“Bye Apex…” Scorpia murmured as the two nymphs followed their mother and father out of the room.

“Those… little… arrghhh!” Pharynx yelled and charged up his antlers, sending a blast of magic at a nearby wall.

Apex whimpered and began crying softly, though he didn’t know why the magic blast had startled him so much. Thorax lifted Apex up and cradled him.

“Shh, it’s okay sweetie. You’re okay.” Thorax reassured him softly. Apex whimpered and reached up, feeling Thorax’s muzzle with his hooves to be sure he was really there.

Pharynx, panting slightly with the frustration, trotted over. “Sorry grub.”

“U-Uncle Pharynx…” Apex reached out for him, and Pharynx took him from Thorax’s hooves. “Wh-Wha’ d’you mean you’re so’ry? Wha’ did you do?”

Pharynx looked up at Thorax, sighing before nuzzling the nymph. “Nothing, just… sorry I scared you.” he told him.

“Wh-Wha’ were they yellin’ bout?”

“Oculus and Pupae want to try and attack the ponies of the town at the edge of the Badlands.”

“Why?”

“They think they’re a threat.” Thorax explained, nuzzling Apex. “They’re not, of course, but I’m afraid those two are very hard-headed.”

“They can’ have their heads brokd’ed?” Apex asked in confusion. Pharynx laughed and smirked.

“You’d think so. No, grub, hard-headed is a way of saying they can’t be easily talked out of something.”

“Oh.” Apex settled in Pharynx’s hooves. “So wha’re they gonna do?”

“Hopefully, they’ll listen to us and not be stupid.” Pharynx responded.

“Mhm. Now come on my little hyper sprite,” Thorax scooped him up, and he squealed in delight. “You want to play a game?”

“Uh-huh!” Apex hugged Thorax, smiling. Thorax laughed and hugged back. Pharynx chuckled, walking over to Thorax’s throne and sitting down beside it. Apex looked over, then squirmed free and bounded over. “Uncle Pharynx?”

“Yeah grub?”

You shouldn’ si’ there.” Apex grabbed his hoof and tugged him over to the oak throne, trying to nudge him into it.

“G-Grub, what are you doing? That’s Thorax’s throne.” Pharynx protested, as Thorax walked over.

“Come on Pharynx, you deserve a chance to sit in it.” Thorax nuzzled him. “You’re a leader too.”

“Yeah, a prince. Contrary to Oculus and Pupae’s remarks, I’m fine being that.” Pharynx shot back.

“Bu’ they sai’ you woulda’ been king.” Apex looked up at him.

“Well, yes, back during the Old Days, Chrysalis would’ve eventually died or retired, and I would’ve taken over.” Pharynx told him. “But I don’t want to be king now.”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t sit on my throne for a bit.” Thorax laughed, helping Apex push Pharynx onto the throne.

“Hey!”

“Heh, just sit there for a while, I’ll be playing with Apex anyway.” Thorax said, as the nymph fluttered his wings and took off, booping Thorax’s nose.

“Tag Papa Thorax! You’re i’!” he cried, before rushing off.

Thorax laughed and ran after the nymph, giving chase. Pharynx sighed and settled on the throne, which was surprisingly comfortable for being made of wood. He found himself naturally sprawling on it like Thorax did. He laid his head on the foreleg rest, eyes threatening to close as he watched the joyful nymph and king play.

The sun was shining directly onto the throne, warming the beta changeling’s chitin. He yawned and closed his lavender eyes, settling down. Maybe a quick nap wouldn’t hurt…

Author's Note:

Just some cute fluff with a little tension growing, hope you enjoyed the ending

Also: For those who read Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost: I had to do it, I'm sorry. But I promise, it'll happen a bit differently, you're not going to just be reading the same plotline over again

~Melody Song