• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,820 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,820

Nightmare

Apex cuddled up under the sheets with Ocellus, who was reading aloud from her book.

“And then, the Prince leaned in, and kissed the fair maiden-”

“Gross Celly! Why do all your story-tales go’a have kisses?”

“Firstly, Apex, it’s either Storybook or Fairy Tales. Secondly, would you rather I read from Equestrian Cultures and Camaraderie, Volume 8?”

“Nuh-uh!”

“Then shush.” Ocellus teased, and Apex stuck his tongue out at her. “Now, where were we?”

“Okay Ocellus, you can go now.” Pharynx poked his head into the room. “We’re back.”

“Uncle Pharynx! Papa Thorax!” Apex leapt up, but Ocellus pulled him back down with her magic, wrapping the blankets around him.

“No Apex, it’s bedtime. Lie down.” she directed, leaping off the bed and levitating her book after her.

“Did he give you any trouble?” Pharynx asked as she passed.

“Aside from making grossed-out faces every time something romantic happened in my book?”

“Can’t really blame him for that.”

“Then no.” Ocellus smiled. “Thanks for offering me the chance to look after him on my breaks. It’s wonderful having something like siblings again...”

Apex sighed and nuzzled down into the blankets. He now regretted being so rude. Ocellus’ parents had provoked a fight with a nearby town and gotten killed. Their nymphs-Ocellus’ brother and sister-weren’t weaned off her mother’s nectar yet, and had unfortunately passed a week after their parents. Ocellus had struggled through the grief since Thorax brought her back to the Hive to tell her.

“Hey, Celly?” Apex asked, and she glanced over. “‘M sorry for wha’ I said… kissy scenes are gross bu’ you like ‘em, so… you can read them ‘gain if you wan’…”

“Thank you Apex. I know what you’re doing but the sentiment is appreciated.” Ocellus smiled at him before leaving. “Goodnight Prince Pharynx, goodnight Apex.” she called as she walked out.

“Grub… I should warn you…” Pharynx walked up to the bed. “Thorax is a little out of it. He’s had a long day and needs sleep.”

“Okay.” Apex said brightly. “As long as I ge’ to snuggle with him!”

Pharynx rolled his eyes slightly, but the door opened wider and Thorax stepped in. Apex lifted his head and smiled. The changeling King trotted over to the bed and laid down. The second his head hit the pillow, his eyes closed and he was asleep.

“Papa Thorax?”

“Tried to tell you, grub. Try not to wake him up, he needs rest.” Pharynx said.

Apex sighed and settled between Thorax’s forelegs, curling up. Pharynx dropped his tough-bug act long enough to kiss Apex gently on the forehead, then left after making sure the only light in the room was from the window. Apex snuggled down into Thorax’s hooves, falling fast asleep.

-------------------------------------------------------

Apex was standing in the middle of the throne room. He was back in the old Hive.

“Wh-Wha’ am I doin’ here?” he asked

“I would have thought that obvious, you little mewling grub.”

Apex’s eyes widened as he looked up. In the place where Thorax’s tree throne usually was, there was the black throne carved of stone of the old hive. One that Chrysalis now sat on. She smirked and stood up, trotting to him.

“The only reason a pathetic little grub like you would be here was if he deserved to be. Just you wait grub, there’s a whole world of hurt coming…” she sneered.

-------------------------------------------------

Apex jolted awake, looking around. He still lay in Thorax’s hooves, though not held as snugly as usual. He looked up at Thorax and nuzzled him.

“Papa Thorax?” Apex murmured, nosing his cheek.

“Mm…” Thorax grunted and shifted.

Apex sighed “Try not to wake him up.” Pharynx’s words echoed in his head.

“C’mon… ‘s jus’ a stupid dream. Like Uncle Pharynx says… push pas’ the fear…” Apex mumbled, closing his eyes again.

---------------------------------------------------

He now stood in the center chamber of the old nursery, which lacked the soft moss the new one had. He was an unreformed changeling. Chrysalis was towering above him. She sneered and lifted him in her magic.

“You’re too soft you stupid grub! You need to be tougher!”

She threw him down on the ground, then lifted him again and plunged his body against the wall. Apex yelped in terror.

“P-Papa Thorax…” Apex sobbed

“That traitor won’t save you, why would a lowly grub like you ever be important enough for him to come back just to rescue you?!” Chrysalis sneered.

Apex slid down the wall and thudded against the floor, feeling a few wounds open. He looked up, vision blurry. Pharynx stood beside Chrysalis, in his unreformed form.

“U-Uncle Pharynx…?” Apex whispered, extending a hoof slightly.

Pharynx didn’t respond. Apex turned to see Ocellus, also unreformed, standing among a crowd of other unreformed changelings.

“Celly?” Ocellus didn’t even look his way, eyes trained on something in the opposite direction.

Apex felt tears begin to flow freely, entering his wounds and stinging them. The hot liquid clouded his vision even more. Chrysalis approached him.

“Not even going to fight back? Looks like you’re heading down the same path the traitor took. And I promise you, this time I won’t let another betrayer escape.”

Apex whimpered as she picked him up once more. She opened her mouth, and he began crying. Chrysalis was about to drain the little love he had.

Suddenly, a blue light washed over his surroundings. The changelings faded, his wounds disappeared, and lastly, Chrysalis vanished. Just before Apex could fall into the new white abyss, he landed in someone’s strong hooves. He sank into them and nuzzled against the chest of the figure. They had fur. It was a pony.

“Young Apex.” the pony murmured, and Apex looked up.

“Luna?” Apex asked, looking down to see he was back to being reformed.

“Yes. I must say, I’m surprised to find trouble in your dreams. Typically Thorax beats me to it.” Luna said

“He’s too sleepy…” Apex murmured

Luna set Apex down and he looked away. “Would you like to talk about it?” Luna asked gently.

“I’s jus’… us’ly he a’ways wakes up when I do. On’y he’s really sleepy tonigh’ an’ when I woke up earlier he didn’ ge’ up. An’ when I fell back ‘sleep Chrysalis was af’er me. An’ Uncle Pharynx an’ Celly didn’ do anything to stop her… bu’ Papa Thorax a’ways wakes up an’ tells me ‘m okay, the monsters can’ get me and ‘m safe an’ he loves me, an’… an’…” Apex began shuddering as he cried. “He didn’…”

Apex felt a feathered wing wrap around him. Luna’s muzzle touched his.

“I’m sorry you had to go through that. I expected Thorax to aid you as usual, so I didn’t realize anything was amiss until you dreamt of such a terrifying thing.”

Apex continued sobbing, and Luna whisked him up with her wing, carrying him.

“I would like to show you something.” Luna’s horn glowed and a bubble appeared, like a window. “This is Thorax’s dream.”

“P-Papa Thorax?” Apex whispered, as Luna set him down.

In the image, Thorax lay in a grassy field. His dream’s Apex lay asleep on his head, Ocellus curled between his forelegs, reading. Pharynx lay by his side, leaning against Thorax but clearly on guard. Tempest was curled beside him, her head on his shoulder. Ember was resting on Thorax’s other side, scepter in hand and lying leisurely beside her obvious mate.

“He dreams about this all the time Apex. He truly loves you, and the family he’s made since you entered his life.”

“Bu’… wha’ if ‘m no’ good ‘nough for him?” Apex asked. “Wha’ if he finds a be’er Prince, o-or thinks ‘m too much trouble… wha’ if he doesn’ love me an’more? H-He didn’ even say goodnight t’ me, Uncle Pharynx did. Wh-Wha’ if he’s tired of me?”

As Apex wiped his eyes, he realized the dream was fading. Luna sighed.

“Wh-Whas’ going on?”

“You are waking up.” Luna put her wing around him. “I’m sorry I was unable to provide comfort.”

“I’s okay Luna…” Apex sniffled “I’s no’ your fault ‘m no’ good ‘nough… ‘s mine...” he left the dream realm before Luna could respond.

---------------------------------------------

Apex woke up, realizing he was still crying. He looked out the window, seeing the moon shining in the middle of the window. He sniffled and wiped his eyes, then stood and crawled away from Thorax.

“‘M never gonna sleep ‘gain…” Apex mumbled, curling up at the edge of the bed, away from the blankets and half hanging off the bed, so he wouldn’t drift off again.

Apex let another sob wrack him, and gazed at the opposite wall, though the shadows caused by the moon’s light frightened him. He fought the urge to go back to Thorax and burrow into his warm body.

“H-He doesn’ love me…” Apex murmured, letting the tears fall onto the floor.

---------------------------------------------

Luna stepped through the window from Apex’s dream and appeared in Thorax’s. Thorax stood up, the Apex on his head being levitated down to lie between his dream Pharynx’s forelegs.

“Luna? What are you doing here? This isn’t a nightmare.”

“No, but this is:”

Luna’s horn glowed and she showed Thorax her previous encounter with Apex. Thorax’s eyes widened as he saw the nightmare, then the talk between Luna and the nymph.

“No… no, I’d never replace him. He may not be my real son but I love him so much.” Thorax said, turning to Luna. “Luna, wake me up, I need to see him.”

“Thorax, Apex was correct, your aura is very clouded, meaning you’re tired. You need this rest.”

“Luna, please. I’ll sleep later, this is important!”

“How so?”

“I need to see him before he does something. What if he runs away or gets scared of me? I’d never forgive myself for not waking up when he needs me the most.” Thorax was almost in tears.

Luna sighed. “Very well Thorax. I wish you luck.” her horn glowed and his dream dissolved. She then sighed again, looking into a different dream, where a familiar white alicorn slumbered. “Make this right.”

-----------------------------------------------------

Thorax opened his eyes to see a huddled mass at the edge of his bed. He reached over with a hoof and nudged it gently.

“Apex?” he whispered.

“Go ‘way.” Apex mumbled. Thorax slipped a hoof around Apex and drew him closer.

“Apex…” Thorax kissed the nymph’s head gently, then gave him a comforting lick around the ears. “My sweet, darling little nymph, I’m so sorry.”

“F-For wha’?” Apex mumbled, wiping his eyes. He’d been crying, Thorax realized, and grew even more guilty.

“Luna showed me your dream, and what you said to her. I’m sorry I didn’t wake up my little hyper sprite, I didn’t mean to make you sad.” Thorax cradled Apex gently against his chest. “I’m so, so sorry Apex.”

“Thorax?” Pharynx stepped into the room tentatively. “Luna appeared in my dream, something about Apex needing me...?”

“Uncle Pharynx!” Apex turned and reached for Pharynx, who went over to the bed, rearing up and placing his forelegs on the bed.

“I’m here grub. What’s going on?”

“I-I had a nigh’mare where we were in the Old Days an’ Chrysalis was to’ring me, an’ you and Celly didn’ do anything an’ I woke up bu’ Papa Thorax didn’ wake up and-” Apex began bawling now.

Thorax looked pleadingly at Pharynx, who nodded and leaned over to nuzzle Apex.

“Grub, it’s okay…”

“No i’ wasn’! I was all ‘lone an’ scared an’ Papa Thorax didn’ wake up!”

Thorax wrapped Apex in his hoof and held him close as he sobbed. Apex buried his head into Thorax’s chest.

“You’re right to be upset Apex. I should have woken up, but you have to understand that sometimes I’m just too tired.”

“I do un’erstan’…” Apex sniffled. “B-Bu’ I needed you…”

“I know. And that’s why I’m truly sorry. I want you to know that I would never even think of doing something like replacing you. You are good enough Apex. You’re perfect for me. You fit snugly in my hooves and though you may grow up, there will always be a place for you in my heart.”

Apex sniffled and hugged him.

“You are my sweet, darling, clever, spunky little nymph. You may not be related to me but you are my son.” Thorax said, nuzzling him.

“Yeah, and grub…” Pharynx said, gaining the nymph’s attention. “If you ever have another nightmare, or if Thorax is too tired to watch over you… well, my room’s right down the hall. I could even just take you with me in the evening, let you sleep in some extra bed or… maybe my own. Just so you wouldn’t have to walk down the hallway in the dark.”

“Really?” Apex asked

“Of course. So long as you don’t tell anyling.” Pharynx replied, giving him a wink and a smile.

“See Apex? We are all here for you, and we love you. We love you so much it’s hard to stop us from caring.” Thorax nuzzled him. “Now come on my little hyper sprite, show me that cute little smile of yours.”

“Nuh-uh.”

“Come on my sweet nymph.” Thorax nuzzled Apex again. “I know it’s hard, after all you just went through. But I promise if you smile now, I’ll always make sure there’s someone here to comfort you if you need it.”

Apex nodded, and Thorax put his muzzle to Apex’s stomach, blowing into him. Apex giggled and squirmed, smiling at last.

“There’s the smile I know.” Thorax said, settling down in bed. “Now, are you ready to go back to sleep?”

“I… I don’ know…” Apex mumbled. Thorax and Pharynx both smiled kindly.

“Apex, I’ll be here with you. If you get scared, I’ll still be holding onto you tight, whether I wake up or not. And you know, bad dreams can’t hurt you.” Thorax said.

“Okay Papa Thorax…” Apex sighed.

“I’d better head back to bed too.” Pharynx sighed. “I was having the best dream…”

He leaned over to kiss Apex on the forehead again, then dropped down onto four legs again and headed for the door. Thorax smiled and laid down, lying on his side. He drew Apex close against his chest and nuzzled him.

“Goodnight my little hyper sprite. I love you.” Thorax cooed to the nymph.

Apex yawned and settled against Thorax’s chest, closing his eyes.

“G’night Papa Thorax… love you too.” Apex murmured. He laid his head on the alpha changeling’s chest and soon fell asleep.

Early the next morning, as Thorax woke up, he felt very well rested. He found he was now lying on his back, having shifted during the night. Thorax felt a warm presence on his chest, and when he looked up, he saw Apex was sleeping there. The small nymph was cuddled up to him, still asleep. Thorax sighed, content. He sat up and kissed Apex on the forehead, waking him.

“Morning Papa Thorax.” Apex said, smiling sleepily at the grown changeling.

“Good morning my hyper sprite.”

Apex giggled at the nickname and crawled forward, nuzzling under Thorax’s chin and smiling.

“My darling little nymph.” Thorax teased gently, leaning back against the wall and lifting up Apex to nuzzle him. “Did you sleep okay after our talk?”

“Mhm.” Apex smiled as Thorax cradled him. “Not one nightmare.”

“Good.” Thorax kissed his forehead again. “I’m glad to hear it.”

“I love you Papa Thorax.” Apex sighed, snuggled against his chest.

“I love you too Apex.” Thorax said, hugging his little nymph close.