• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,814 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,814

Return To The Crystal Empire

Thorax trotted down the streets of the Crystal Empire happily, looking around. Not much had changed, but the empire was still very beautiful, even in winter. On the changeling king’s head was a familiar little nymph.

“Papa Thorax, ‘re we there ye’?” Apex asked impatiently

“Heheh, almost sweetie.” Thorax said, looking behind him at Pharynx. The older changeling was grumpily following them. He hadn’t wanted to come. “I think you’ll really like Cadence and Shining, both of you. Their daughter’s a bit young but she’s smart for her age.”

“How d’you know Papa Thorax?”

“I used to help Sunburst watch her.” Thorax explained, smiling at the nymph.

“Oh…” Apex fell silent after that.

Soon, they reached the large crystal palace. Apex gasped as he tilted his head to look up at it. Even Pharynx had to-begrudgingly-admit it was impressive. Thorax smiled as a sense of familiarity washed over him.

“Thorax!” a familiar voice called out. Thorax looked over with a smile. Apex jumped onto Thorax’s back to hide from the new ponies, looking at Pharynx, who remained stoic.

“Cadence! Shining!”

The pink coated alicorn trotted up with a smile on her face. Her husband trotted beside her, Sunburst behind them, carrying a bassinet in his magic. Thorax trotted over to Cadence, hugging her.

“We’ve been waiting for you!” Cadence said, pulling away from Thorax to lean on Shining. “We were wondering when you’d arrive.”

“Oh, did we keep you waiting? I’m sorry, we had some delay-”

Shining chuckled and prodded him in the side gently. “Same old Thorax. It’s fine buddy, Cadence is just saying that because it seems like somepony missed her favorite foalsitter.”

Sunburst came closer, smiling as he lifted up the bassinet. “She was fussing all this morning, somepony was certainly eager to see you again.”

Thorax smiled widely as he looked into the bassinet. Apex peeked out for a closer look. The young alicorn filly in the bassinet was smiling up at Thorax.

“Tora! Tora!”

“Hey Flurry!” Thorax nuzzled the filly.

Apex frowned and jumped off Thorax’s back, opening his wings and fluttering down to Pharynx.

“Uncle Pharynx, I wanna go.” Apex whispered

“You and me both grub.” Pharynx muttered.

Cadence smiled as Thorax lifted Flurry from the bassinet and held her. That was when she noticed Pharynx.

“Cadence, this is my older brother, Pharynx.” Thorax said, and Pharynx nodded curtly. “He’s the general of our Hive.”

“The general, huh?” Shining trotted over. Apex gasped softly and hid underneath Pharynx. “So how many guards do you have?”

“About a thousand, out of them only ten are willing. And they’re less competent than your guards, which is saying something.” Pharynx retorted

“Pharynx, please-”

“No, it’s fine Thorax.” Shining assured him. “So what about you then? Are you better or worse than your own guards?”

Pharynx snorted. “I was trained by the best, and now, I am the best.”

“Would you mind proving that?”

“I’d be happy to ram you into the ground.” Pharynx replied, smirking slightly.

“Terrific.” Shining smirked as well.

Cadence rolled her eyes. Then, as she watched the two glare at each other, she saw Apex peek out from under Pharynx.

“Aww!” Cadence leaned down to look at him. “What’s your name little one?”

“A-Apex…” Apex whispered shyly.

“Heheh, nice to meet you Apex, I’m Cadence. And aren’t you just the cutest little thing?” Cadence smiled at him, and he scampered out from under Pharynx, jumping onto Thorax’s back.

“Papa Thorax, I wanna si’ there.” Apex said, looking at Flurry, who was still held in the alpha changeling’s hooves.

Thorax laughed and nuzzled him. “Wait your turn Apex.”

“‘Papa’ Thorax?” Cadence asked, giggling slightly.

Thorax blushed. “A-Apex came up with it.”

“And now the rest of the Hive won’t stop using it.” Pharynx grumbled

“So, why is Apex here? Shouldn’t he be in the Hive with his parents?” Cadence asked

Apex clung to Thorax, nuzzling him. “Papa Thorax ‘s my…Celly sai’ i’ was called guar’ian or somethin'…?”

“He’s your guardian? But…” Cadence looked at Thorax.

“Apex’s parents died during the Great Change.” Thorax whispered to her.

“Oh, the poor thing…”

“I know, but I’ve been looking after him. He doesn’t think about it much.” Thorax explained

“Papa Thorax, I wanna go…” Apex said, pouting.

Thorax chuckled. “Apex, we just got here.”

“I’s borin’.” Apex stated

Pharynx then followed Apex’s gaze to Flurry, and smiled slightly.

“Grub, don’t tell me you’re jealous of the foal.”

Cadence and Thorax giggled. Apex sat up, stammering.

“Wh-Wha’? Nu-uh!”

Thorax chuckled and gave Flurry to Cadence, lifting up Apex and cradling him.

“It’s okay if you are sweetie. But I promise, you’re my one and only little hyper sprite.”

“P-Promise…?” Apex asked softly, and Cadence aww’d.

“Heh, I promise.” Thorax nuzzled him. “And in a way, looking after Flurry helped prepare me for taking care of you, so you should be glad we bonded.”

“Heheh, and I think Flurry would like a new friend.” Cadence added

“Ape’! Ape’!” Flurry agreed, flapping her wings. She then took off, flying over to Apex. Apex yelped and burrowed into Thorax’s hooves, hiding. Thorax laughed.

“It’s okay Apex, she just wants to play. You like playing.”

Apex peeked out at the little filly. Her mother had scooped her up.

“Sorry she startled you Apex, she’s got pretty good control of her wings and magic, we can’t keep up with her sometimes.”

“Good thing she’s got control. We’d have to reapply Fledgeling’s Forbearance if she didn’t.” Sunburst remarked, adjusting his glasses with his magic. “I predict it won’t be long before she starts speaking fluently.”

“Mama!” Flurry squirmed in her mother’s hooves.

“How about we take the little ones up to Flurry’s playroom?” Cadence suggested

“And you and I can have that sparring match.” Shining said to Pharynx.

“It won’t be a sparring match.”

“Oh?”

“Sparring matches usually have more than one competent soldier.” Pharynx finished his thought, smirking. Shining chuckled.

“Oh, so that’s the way we’re doing this. Fine then.” Shining said, leading him away.

Thorax and Cadence both chuckled, before heading into the castle. Sunburst followed behind them. Cadence led them down a long hallway.

“I’m sure you remember the way Thorax.”

“Yes, it’s the door right across from her bedroom.”

“Mhm.” Cadence stopped in front of one of the doors and opened it.

Apex’s eyes widened as he took in the room. The walls were a light pink color, and the room itself was full of toys. Thorax chuckled, setting Apex down.

“Has the room gotten bigger?”

“Celestia and Luna enjoy giving Flurry gifts. I’m starting to think they make it a competition.” Cadence giggled, as Flurry flew into the room. Apex wasted no time in following her.

Flurry grabbed a few building block toys and a couple bears. She ran back to Apex and held them up. Apex took a few blocks and began stacking them. Flurry giggled and levitated the bears around him.

“Tora play?” Flurry looked at Thorax.

“I’s Tho-rax.” Apex told her.

“To-ra?”

“Tho-rax.”

“To-rax.”

“Good job Flurry!” Cadence said, smiling, then looked at Thorax. He was smiling proudly at Apex, who was playing with the blocks while Flurry moved the bears. “Thorax?”

“Yes Cadence?”

Cadence began to say something, then seemed to second guess herself. “You… do you want to see your old room? We haven’t changed it.”

“Really?” Thorax smiled “I’d love to!”

“Heh, let’s go then.” Cadence said. “Sunburst, could you watch these two little ones for a bit?”

“Of course.” Sunburst smiled before stepping into the room. Thorax and Cadence then went down the hallway, heading for Thorax’s old room.

“We’ll be back in a minute Apex.” Thorax told him.

“Uh-huh.” Apex stacked another block. Thorax chuckled and left.

“Ape’ play!” Flurry trotted over and stomped on the blocks, knocking them over.

“Tha’s how you play?”

“Play! Ape’ play!”

Apex knocked the blocks over and Flurry giggled. She gave him a bear, levitating hers. Sunburst chuckled and sat down to watch them.

“Ape’ chase!”

“Okay!”

Apex grabbed his bear, one that was completely white. Only a pair of black eyes and nose made of black thread disrupted the pure white color. Flurry giggled and levitated her bear away. Apex levitated his own bear up and made it follow hers.

“Chase! Chase!”

“‘M chasin’!” Apex giggled, but brought the bear back down to hug it. “I’s cuddly…”

“Keep?” Flurry asked

“Huh?” Apex looked down at the bear. “Wha’ d’you mean, ‘eep?”

“Keep!” Flurry repeated. Apex tried to push the bear back to her but she shook her head. “Nu-uh. Keep, Ape’!”

“I think she wants you to keep it.” Sunburst supplied helpfully.

Flurry nodded eagerly. “Ape’ keep!”

“Really?” Apex looked at her, his ruby red eyes widening. “I can keep him?”

Flurry nodded eagerly. Apex beamed and hugged the bear, nuzzling it.

“Than’ you Flurry…”

“For Ape’! Ape’ an’ Tora!” Flurry said

Apex looked up. “I can do somethin’ for you!”

Sunburst laughed softly. “I’m not sure you could do much Apex. Besides, it’s just a bear, Flurry has plenty.”

“I go’ to! Papa Thorax says i’s the righ’ thing when you ge’ a gift!” Apex said, and Sunburst chuckled.

“Tora dada?” Flurry asked, looking at Apex.

“Nu-uh. He’s no’ my daddy, he’s my Papa Thorax.” Apex corrected

“Um, Apex, that’s the same thing.” Sunburst told him gently

“Nu-uh, Papa Thorax is jus’ my Papa Thorax. He doesn’ ‘place my daddy, so he’s jus’ Papa Thorax.”

“Ah, I understand.” Sunburst said knowingly, rubbing the little nymph’s head.

“Tora papa!”

“Yeah! Only i’s Thor-ax.” Apex told her

“To-rax!”

“Tha’s wha’ I can teach her! To say Papa Thorax’s name!” Apex smiled and held the bear close, grateful Thorax and Pharynx had been teaching him to read. He knew how to get her to say it right. “Th.”

Flurry blew a raspberry. Apex bit his lip.

“Thor.”

“Tor.”

“Th-or.”

“Th-Th-Thor.” Flurry finally said

“Yeah! Thor-ax!”

“Thor-a’!”

“Thor-ax! Like how you sai’ Tor-ax on’y with the h!”

“Th-Thor… Thorax.” Flurry said, and Sunburst’s eyes widened.

“Yes! Thorax!”

“Thorax! Thorax!”

“I don’t believe it…” Sunburst murmured, as Apex turned to him.

“S-Sunburst, can we go show Papa Thorax an’ Flurry’s mom?”

Sunburst blinked. “O-Of course! Come on, let’s go!”