• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,787 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,787

Nothing's Gonna Harm You

Apex yawned, opening his eyes slowly. He rubbed his eyes and snuggled closer to Thorax, sinking into his warm hooves. He grabbed for Blizzard, pulling the stuffed bear toy close to him.

“Mm… morning my little hyper sprite…” Thorax murmured, pulling Apex close.

“Heheh, mor’in Papa Thorax…” Apex rolled over and buried his tiny head into Thorax’s chest. He opened his mouth, taking in the scents around him, as Pharynx had been training him.

Mangoes, the sweet fruit that was Thorax’s personal scent, tinged with familial love; lemonade. That was normal, along with the slightly dampened taint of sleep. But there was another. Apex wrinkled his muzzle at the smell. Slightly sweet lemons... Pharynx’s scent. But it was bitter with sadness… no, not sadness, but Apex couldn’t think of another way to describe it.

“Uncle Pharynx?”

Thorax, more alert now, lifted the nymph up to set him on the alpha changeling’s side. “He came in last night, you were asleep.”

Apex clambered over his papa, clinging to Blizzard. He tumbled down and landed in the soft sheets again, immediately colliding with cyan chitin. Apex giggled and pressed his head against Pharynx’s hoof, which was clutching something. It was Night Fury, his dragon plushie.

“Mornin’ Uncle Pharynx.” Apex said, shoving Night Fury out of his hooves and sitting in the plushie’s place.

Pharynx merely grunted and opened an eye. “Give me back Night Fury.”

“Wa’e up firs’!” Apex said happily, poking his chest.

Pharynx groaned and closed his eyes. “Not happening.”

“Why no’?”

“It’s almost spring, Apex, and remember, this is the first year we haven’t hibernated. Since spring is coming, our bodies are still adjusting to us already being awake.” Thorax reminded him.

“Whas’ tha’ go’a do with i’ Papa Thorax?”

“Well, right now, Pharynx’s body is telling him he should still be hibernating, because it’s not quite spring yet. So it’s harder for him to wake up.”

“Oh.” Apex nudged Pharynx again. “I know how t’ wa’e him up Papa Thorax.”

“Heheh, you do?” Thorax asked, smiling.

“Mhm!” Apex leaned close, then took a breath. “Wa’e up Uncle Pharynx!” he cried into his ear.

“Gah!” Pharynx sat up immediately, eyes wide. “Grub!”

Apex had fallen over, giggling. “Wha’? I go’ you up!”

“Not for long.” Pharynx snatched up Night Fury and rolled over, lying down. “Go away, both of you.”

“Pharynx, you’re in my room.” Thorax reminded him.

“So?”

“Why’s Uncle Pharynx in here an’way Papa Thorax?” Apex asked, poking Pharynx’s carapace.

“Mnph… Thor, you better not-”

“He had a nightmare last night.” Thorax explained, rubbing his brother’s back, between his shoulder blades. “He didn’t sleep well.”

“Did he suck on your hoof Papa Thorax?” Apex asked, and Pharynx rolled back over to stare at him.

“Why in the name of the Hivemother would I do that?”

“Papa Thorax le’s me suck on his hoof when I have bad d’eams.” Apex replied

“That’s because you’re a grub.” Pharynx grunted, yawning and laying down. “Just leave me alone so I can sleep.”

“Bu’-” before Apex could finish his protest, Thorax had scooped him up.

“Alright Phar, we’ll leave you alone.” Thorax agreed, nuzzling his brother. “Sleep well cuddlebug.”

Pharynx grunted and dragged the blanket over his head. Thorax chuckled softly and walked out, still carrying Apex.

“Papa Thorax, how come we couldn’ s’ay with Uncle Pharynx?” Apex asked as Thorax carried him to the cafeteria.

“He’s obviously very tired right now sweetie, and he’s okay with being left alone, so we need to respect that, okay?”

“Okay Papa Thorax.” Apex cuddled close, and Thorax nuzzled him, smiling.

“That’s my little hyper sprite. Come on, I’ll get you some bacon and eggs for breakfast.”

“Okay!” Apex said, brightening. He wagged his little tail, making Thorax laugh softly as he carried him off to get his food.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was late morning in the Hive, and Thorax had taken up his usual position in the throne room, leaving Apex in the nursery. Apex didn’t like being in the nursery though. He didn’t get along with the other nymphs, he was younger than them all, aside from the newborns, but they were taken care of by their parents. Because of this, Apex had merely hunkered down in a corner of the nursery. That is, until it started raining.

Cracka-boom!

“Eek!”

A small green blur dashed into Thorax’s room and scrambled onto the bed, burrowing underneath a cyan lump. Apex burrowed up underneath Pharynx, whimpering and shaking in fear.

“Mmph… what the…?” the lump that was Pharynx shifted, moving as it tried not to crush the quivering bundle. “Grub?”

“Uncle Pharynx!” Apex hugged him tightly, crying.

“Grub? Why are you crying?” Pharynx picked him up, laying down on his stomach and settling Apex between his forelegs.

“S-Scary…” Apex whimpered, burying his head in the beta changeling’s chest.

Pharynx looked outside, noticing the storm. He sighed softly and nosed Apex.

“Grub, it’s okay. Remember? The storm song.”

Apex whimpered and cuddled close. “T-This one’s diff’en’.”

“Well, yes, it’s kind of a different storm. We’ll be seeing a lot of these in the transition from winter to spring.” Pharynx said, rubbing Apex’s head. “But it’s still just noise. It can’t hurt you.”

“B-Bu’... h-how d’you know i’ won’ Uncle Pharynx?” Apex asked softly, rubbing his eyes.

“Because I’m here.” Pharynx pulled him close, looking down at him fondly. “Nothing will ever harm you while I’m around, I promise.”

“Y-You promise Uncle Pharynx?” Apex sniffled.

“I swear it, Apex. I’ll never let anything hurt you.” Pharynx hugged him tight.

Apex smiled softly and cuddled into Pharynx’s hooves. Pharynx laid down, rolling onto his back and resting the nymph on his chest. Apex giggled softly and curled up there, wrapping his tail over his muzzle like a cat. Pharynx chuckled softly, setting Blizzard in his hooves, then picking up Night Fury and holding him loosely.

Pharynx looked out the window, smiling as the rain poured down. He gently rubbed Apex’s back, soothing the nymph to sleep. Apex smiled, and Pharynx began to sing briefly.

“Hush now, little one
Don’t you cry
I promise, I swear
Nothing will ever harm you
They can try me if they dare

As long as I am here
I swear I will keep you safe
No, nothing’s ever gonna harm you
Not while I’m around

As long as I am standing
As long as I can fight
I will protect you from all harm
Defend you from the monsters
Lurking in the shadows

As long as I am here
I swear I will keep you safe
No, nothing’s ever gonna harm you
Not while I’m… around.”

Pharynx smiled as he finished the song, resting a hoof over Apex. The nymph was now asleep, smiling softly. Pharynx smiled lovingly at his nephew, before closing his eyes, pulling both Apex and Night Fury close, and falling asleep as well.