• Published 8th Oct 2020
  • 5,925 Views, 595 Comments

The Boy Who Disappeared - computerneek



As Harry grew up, he knew something wasn't right. He never told the world- and then, before he ever saw his Hogwarts letter, everything changed.

  • ...
27
 595
 5,925

Chapter 21: Sorting

Professor Dumbledore smiled to himself as he read a letter on the morning of September First. It was from Amelia Bones, the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement- and one of the best… Well, she technically wasn’t a legilimens, but she didn’t need to be. Even Occlumency couldn’t fully defend against her watchful eyes.

He took pride in how frustrated she got whenever she was trying to get information from him.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t nearly so good at reading her- and she was very good at occlumency herself, so whenever she didn’t want him to find something out, he would never find it out from her. It bothered him from time to time, but he wasn’t all that overly worried about it; it wasn’t like she often had important information he didn’t.

And in this letter, she was telling him about just how hard he was to read- how she even ranked him as the number one hardest to read, even over professional nobles like the Malfoy Family.

Then he reached the last sentence.


P.S. I have now met eleven-year-old girls that are harder to read than you are.


He stared at it, reread the letter. That was the only mention. In a letter that was completely full of commending him for being so incredibly difficult to read… eleven-year-old girls were harder to read?

No, it had to be some first year girls, not all of them.

But then, who? And what was their secret, that allowed them to hide their minds so incredibly well?

“Albus?” Minerva McGonagall asked, seated next to him at the breakfast table.

“Yes?” he asked, looking at her.

“You’re doing it again,” she informed him.

He blinked, taking only half a second- with no legilimency involved- to realize what she was talking about. “Right, sorry.”


“Granger, Hermione.”

Hermione, who had spent much of the last week trying to figure out how the sorting worked- to no avail- and much of the train ride learning as much as she could about the various houses, half-ran to the Hat once she was clear of the line.

The sorting was a bit of a challenge to her, and possibly even dangerous as well- thanks to her stupendous strength, which she had yet to fully control, she knew she could very easily accidentally rip the Sorting Hat in two.

Even though, by some miracle, she had yet to damage any of her clothes or books.

So she stopped at the stool, lifted it carefully, and allowed it to settle over her head as she sat down gently.

She was really hoping she, Harry, and even Silversong would be in Gryffindor, no matter how sure Silver was that she’d be in Slytherin.

There was a tiny chuckle in her ear. “I’m sorry to say you can’t affect their Sorting, but I can definitely put you in GRYFFINDOR!”

She twitched slightly as she heard it yell the final word to the entire hall, then lifted it- equally carefully- off of her head, smiled at where Silver and Hailey were standing next to one another in the line, and headed for the cheering Gryffindor table.


“Malfoy, Silversong!”

Silversong stepped sideways out of the line, then danced forwards, humming a tune. She was showing off, being as ridiculous as she possibly could, in the hopes that she would be sorted even before she reached the Hat… and not into Slytherin.

Her father had gotten her two ‘bodyguards’- even he had used air quotes- before he sent her to school… for appearances. Because the Head of the Malfoy Family, no matter how impulsive or indestructible his foster daughter was, must be seen taking care of his family to the best of his ability.

She gave her skirt a twirl; she’d practiced this little ‘dance-walk’ back home. Her heavy robes kept her skirts from flying anywhere near high enough to be a problem.

Both of those two bodyguards had already been sorted into Slytherin. She knew that she would be there too- and those two were so utterly stupid she was glad she would be in the girl’s dormitory, rather than the boys’ dormitory… and while she could enter theirs, they would be unable to enter her dormitory.

She somersaulted over the stool, plucking the hat from its place while she was upside-down. It was only thanks to her practice that she managed to avoid flashing anyone in the act.

She landed with a bow, then swept the hat up to her head and sat down while about half the room, scattered across all four houses, applauded her performance.

She noticed that the Weasley Twins- she had encountered them during one of her first trips to Diagon Alley- were cheering the loudest, and even standing up to do so. “You go, girl!” they cried.

She smiled as the hat dropped down over her eyes.

There was silence, aside from the last of the applause, for almost a full second, before she heard a small voice in her ear.

“Now that’s interesting,” it mused. “Very interesting. Twilight would definitely have been a Ravenclaw.”

She tensed, listening for the word that would doom her to sitting between those two idiots at every meal.

The voice chuckled. “Well, I suppose the Malfoys are generally placed into Slytherin- but before I send you there, would any Slytherin you know have let themselves get caught dead doing that little dance?”

She could feel the heat rushing to her face. That answer was, very definitely, a no.

“See? You’re not a Slytherin. Probably would have been, before Twilight came along, but you have used the knowledge she gave you to change not just what you are, but who you are as well.”

A flood of relief washed through her so powerfully that she very nearly let it show.

She did wonder, though- if not Slytherin, then were? Perhaps Ravenclaw, since she had so much knowledge? Or even Hufflepuff, because of her strength?

The voice chuckled again. “Ravenclaws seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge,” it informed her. “And while you probably would do well there, that’s not your defining trait. And Hufflepuffs aren’t necessarily strong, they’re just unafraid of hard work. Think about your actions- what have you been doing since Twilight gave her magic to you, and what do they suggest?”

She blinked at the dark inside of the hat. What had she been doing?

She had been going on so many shopping trips she’d had to replenish the Floo Powder not once but twice, she had met not just Hailey and Hermione, but dozens more witches and wizards. She had played with basically anything she could get her hands on, making herself out to be a bit of a ditz, constantly finding new things to play with, even at her parents’ expense.

But that wasn’t who she was, no matter how much she enjoyed playing like that.

“Well, do you want to turn back into Draco?”

She surprised herself by wrinkling her nose in revulsion.

“Exactly.”

But then… She thought for a second. That’d make her a Hufflepuff, wouldn’t it? Doing so much, working so hard, and all? She really didn’t want to be a Hufflepuff.

The hat chuckled a third time. “Oh, no, you’re no Hufflepuff- though that’s not to say you wouldn’t do well there too. You’ve got traits from each of the four- but you probably would never have left the Manor if not for your defining traits. After all, you’re no ordinary Malfoy- you’re a GRYFFINDOR Malfoy!”

Silver couldn’t believe her ears- and by the sound of it, neither could about half of the students in the room. With as deep as her family was into the Dark Arts, she was certain that it would be impossible for her to get into Gryffindor, and so hadn’t allowed herself to even hope for it… but she was almost immeasurably happy about being sorted into it.

Measured Happiness, the author of Emotions and How to Measure Them in Twilight’s library, could go to the Crystal Empire without a jacket. The scale he had come up with couldn’t even hope to contain how glad she was.

So, grinning broadly, she startled Professor McGonagall by backflipping straight off the stool, depositing the hat back onto it while she was upside-down. She bowed to the room, then danced her way to where the Weasley Twins were cheering loudest, next to a Hermione that was far too stunned to cheer herself. She made sure to give both twins high-fives- she’d practiced controlling her strength before she’d ever come up with her dance- before slipping herself onto the bench next to Hermione and giving her an awkward sideways hug.


“Potter, H- Hailey.” Professor McGonagall exaggerated her first name, making it very clear that it was not Harry.

Hailey scowled, and stepped casually out of the line to march up to the Hat, ignoring the waves of curiosity, sorrow, and even sympathy that were sweeping the suddenly silent room, making Silversong’s ongoing beacon of happiness seem all the brighter in comparison.

As she reached the stool with the Hat, she swept it dramatically off of the stool, perched it on her head, and sat down. A quick stability spell, pulled from Chrysalis’ repertoire, kept it from falling over her eyes without requiring her to shapeshift her head bigger.

After all, for as much as Silversong was convinced her problem of using unicorn magic without a horn was unique, it really wasn’t. Hailey hadn’t mentioned it, but the changelings faced that problem every time they tried to use unicorn magic while disguised as something other than a unicorn. Chrysalis just happened to be among the select few that managed that complicated technique… though she didn’t know very much magic. She had learned most of what she knew explicitly for the attack on Canterlot, after all- and everything else was geared towards Hive maintenance and defense. She had let the Hive Mages take care of any more complex spellwork she needed.

The Hat seemed to take forever to speak. Hailey had known it could speak, and even had an emotional signature. It didn’t actually produce any emotional energy, the energy that changelings lived on- but for as much as Hailey was technically a changeling herself, she also technically wasn’t. She still had to eat and drink, after all- at least, she was pretty sure. She wasn’t sure how complete the transformation really was… though she had confirmed that, unlike the changelings, her base form did not have a carapace or visible holes, only very sensitive privates and a lightning scar that seemed to always be on fire.

“Wow,” the Hat finally muttered, shocked. “I… I can’t say I’ve ever seen that before.”

Hailey smiled at the Hufflepuff table, and used the empty hivemind to answer it. “Not surprised.”

“So… Hmm. It looks like you’d do equally well in either Gryffindor or Slytherin. Preference?”

She raised an eyebrow in the hivemind- not her real one- while she smiled instead at the Ravenclaw table. “Preference?” she asked it.

“Well, Amelia was correct,” the Hat informed her. “You are a Princess, and completely above wizarding law. Even Godric Gryffindor himself didn’t have the same power- either political or magical- that you do! Besides, I usually honor choices anyways.”

She raised her other eyebrow on the hivemind as well, and made a silly face at the wall opposite her, directly between the two tables. The first-year line had trailed in across the head of the room, across the base of the staff table behind her. “You can probably guess.”

She was amused by the flash of worry, then the embarrassment, that she sensed from it. “Yes, I suppose I can, can’t I? After all, your friends are in GRYFFINDOR!”

She smiled broadly as the Gryffindor table burst into cheers, tasting their excitement as she returned the Hat to its stool and walked towards them. Even so, though, the excitement was somewhat subdued- and the reason for such indicated itself when one of the ones emitting an aura of worry- his hair matched Ginevra and Ariel’s hair, and he wore a prefect’s badge- spoke to her.

“I’m sorry about Harry,” he muttered.

She smiled, blowing off his concern with a wide, cheerful smile. “Oh, he was an idiot, and a jerk,” she informed him loudly- and only partly to be heard over the cheering. “Kept trying to claim extra authority as the ‘boy who lived’ and all, never did anything himself. Good riddance, I say.”

Then, Professor McGonagall- filled almost to bursting with sorrow- spoke the next name.

“Potter, Harry.” She gave the name a slight emphasis, separating it from Hailey’s name- and, while her voice remained fully professional, Hailey could tell she was teetering on the edge of bursting into tears, only barely keeping her voice from cracking.

The entire room fell completely silent, and nobody moved.

The silence held for nearly ten seconds before a brave Ravenclaw broke the silence. “Didn’t he die?”

“We can hope,” McGonagall answered the girl, before glancing up at Hailey- at which her mouth curved slightly in a bit of a smile. She took a deep breath before she continued. “That his legacy- what he has represented to wizardkind, not what he actually was- lives on in all of us.” She bowed her head.

There was silence for a second, as the atmosphere of mourning shifted to one of denial and confusion- then Hailey picked a moment to applaud McGonagall’s statement, clapping loudly.

She was the only one.

She looked around. “What? Harry might’ve been a jerk, but if a baby can defeat the Dark Lord Voldemort by screaming at him, we can defeat something quite a bit scarier than that. So I applaud Professor McGonagall’s wish for that kind of ability- of positivity- for us all.”

The Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore- who she recognized because of the chocolate frog card on the train- led a wave of applause across the room, which brought with it a mix of thankfulness, hope, determination… and, in McGonagall’s case, embarrassment.


“Weasley, Ronald.”

Ron was one of the very few remaining students in the line by the time his name was called, but he didn’t let that get him down. He marched purposely up to the stool, accepted the hat, put it on his head, and sat down.

“Interesting,” the Hat muttered. “Very interesting.”

Excuse me, he thought deliberately, but what’s interesting?

It answered him, sounding amused. “Why, you’re probably the most Slytherin Weasley I’ve seen yet.”

He could feel the color draining out of his face. Slytherin? He couldn’t be!

The hat chuckled softly. “No worries, you’re not one. Had you actually been one, you would’ve taken Flurry Heart’s power without a second thought, rather than refusing it. Which, by the way, was a very GRYFFINDOR thing to do!”

He shuddered as he took the hat off and headed for the cheering Gryffindor table, face white as chalk. He could have sworn the Hat had said he could have been a Slytherin! He scanned the table, looking for a space that wasn’t between Fred and Percy. He wasn’t sure how he was going to go about proving himself- and hoped, prayed, that that wasn’t why the Hat had said that.

… There was a space next to Hailey Potter, the girl that had spoken so derisively about the famous Harry Potter, almost like she had known him. In any case, she was probably going to get at least a minor celebrity’s worth of attention, so proving himself might as well start with her. He picked the seat next to her.

She looked at him, as soon as he sat down. “Ronald Weasley?” she asked, emphasizing his surname.

He nodded. “Yes?”

“Brother of Ginevra and Ariel?”

He blinked, alarmed. “How do you know…?”

She shrugged. “I met them in Diagon Alley. So… I hear you met Flurry Heart?”

He sighed, looking down. “And refused her power- left her to die.” His sisters had already been on his case about that.

“Was it within two minutes?”

He blinked, looking up. “Is that important?” His breath caught in his throat as he realized that the three girls- Hailey, the bushy-haired girl on her other side, and the silver-haired Malfoy past her- were all watching him intently.

Hailey only nodded.

“I…” He took a deep breath. “I refused it immediately, if that means anything.”

Hailey hugged him, out of the blue; he was fairly sure he gasped in surprise.

“And in so doing, you saved her life,” she stated simply. “Which in turn makes it possible for us to resurrect the other four. Completely aside from keeping Equestria’s ruling party from being completely annihilated, and saving the nation as a whole.”

He gasped. “She was young!”

“Cadence and Shining Armor taught her well,” Hailey smiled. “She was young, but I’m sure Cadence would have trusted her to make the right decisions.”

“What about Celestia?” the girl in the middle asked, tilting her head.

“Oh, no,” Hailey informed her. “Celestia wouldn’t trust anyone. And Twilight wouldn’t even consider whether she trusted her or not, she’d just evaluate that Flurry would probably get the job done.”

“Too true,” the last girl nodded.

Author's Note:

She's really throwing Harry under the bus, isn't she?

Patreon, Discord.

I've reached the point where I'm not sure exactly what events throughout the first year I should touch on, and what events I should skip over. I know most fics- including my The Gate, and to a lesser extent, On the Implications of Parallel Worlds- have a tendency of packing all the action into the beginning of the year, but I'd like to avoid that here if at all possible. There's still a couple chapters coming before this becomes a problem, but still- what do you think should be covered, because of (potentially) widely differing reactions of the characters in question, and what should be overlooked?