• Published 8th Oct 2020
  • 5,923 Views, 595 Comments

The Boy Who Disappeared - computerneek



As Harry grew up, he knew something wasn't right. He never told the world- and then, before he ever saw his Hogwarts letter, everything changed.

  • ...
27
 595
 5,923

Chapter 22: Potions

“You’ve got mail,” Silversong observed rather cheerfully.

Hailey looked up as her Hedwig- the snowy owl she’d gotten at Ginny's recommendation- fluttered importantly down in front of her, next to Silver’s eagle owl. “Interesting,” she smiled. “The Dursleys promised not to ask me how the first week went until the weekend.” She gently accepted the letter from Hedwig’s beak. “Have a good night?”

Hedwig blinked slowly at her.

She shrugged. “Well, it’s only polite to ask.” She ripped open the envelope- just in time for a large barn owl to land right next to Hedwig, crowding her aside.

Hedwig snapped her beak at the larger owl.

Hailey looked up. “Oy,” she barked. “Don’t be pushy.” She gave the barn owl a little push, so Hedwig was no longer struggling to avoid toppling Hermione’s glass, then took its letter as well.

“Are you talking to the owls?” Hermione asked Hailey, retrieving her glass.

The barn owl snapped its beak angrily at Hailey, then took flight, leaving without another backward glance.

Hailey glanced at her. “Well of course. Just because they can’t speak our language doesn’t mean they aren’t intelligent, or can’t understand our language.” She unfolded the letter Hedwig had delivered. “Now, I wonder…” She read down it for a second, then chuckled softly.

“What is it?” Silver asked.

“It’s Hagrid,” Hailey answered. “The Gamekeeper, who led us across the Lake. He’s asking if I’m interested in ‘chatting’ with him this afternoon, since we’re off.”

“Oh, I’ve heard about him,” Silver mused. “He’s- Well…” She glanced past Hailey at Hermione, who raised her eyebrows. “The way they tell it, he’s some sort of savage living on the school grounds, who gets drunk, tries to do magic, and ends up setting fire to his bed.”

“Well, they’re not wrong about the school grounds thing,” Hailey informed her. “He even gave me instructions on how to find his hut. Not that ‘walk out the front doors and look to your right’ is very difficult, but…” She giggled softly.

“So why is he asking?” Hermione asked, taking the letter and scanning it.

“No idea,” Hailey answered. “Looks too genuine to be a ploy, though- and considering what we… well, can do, I don’t see the harm in having a chat. Besides, he’s technically a staff member, just trying to familiarize himself with the student that is most likely to run into problems with other students trying to bug her about the Boy who Lived, so he can better help if he happens to see them bugging her about that?”

“And now you’re talking about yourself in the third person,” Ron observed, seated to Hermione’s left.

“Well yes,” Hailey nodded, “of course I was. In any case, why don’t we all go chat with him after lunch today?”

Silver shrugged. “I don’t see why not. I mean…” She looked between Hailey and Hermione. “I’d ask what could go wrong, but then something probably would.”

Hailey let out a snort of laughter, while Hermione giggled. Hailey then scribbled a quick ‘will do’ on the back of Hagrid’s note, and gave it back to Hedwig.

“What about that other letter?” Ron asked suddenly, pointing at it. “That looked like one of the school owls.”

Hailey glanced down at it, and slit it open. “True. I wonder who…? Oh.” She scanned down it, and rolled her eyes. “Looks like the Headmaster wants me to meet him in his office, this afternoon, so he can ask about The Boy Who Lived.”

“Funny, we were just talking about that,” Silver mused.

“Better not keep him waiting,” Hermione muttered.

Hailey shrugged. “Nah, we already agreed to see Hagrid. Professor Dumbledore can wait.” She gestured at the table. “Besides, his owl already left, so he’s obviously not all that worried about knowing whether or not I’m actually going to show up.”

Silver blinked. “That’s… one way to look at it, I suppose.”

“You’d think he’d be really worried about that,” Hermione mused.

“Yeah, with how much you’ve had to yell that you are not his sister,” Ron agreed.

Hailey rolled her eyes; she’d already had to yell to the entire Gryffindor common room, three times, that she was not Harry’s sister. “I guess he hasn’t heard yet. Well, if he’s going to be so ignorant, I think I’m going to ignore his letters, make him send someone to come get me. And when he does, outright refuse to talk about… Him. See how he likes that.”

“He is not going to be happy,” Silver scowled. “And you are aware of how dangerous an unhappy Dumbledore can be, right?”

Hailey shrugged. “That’s the point.” She leaned in close, and whispered. “And it’s not like he can hurt me, is it?”

“Are you sure about that?”

Hailey raised an eyebrow. “You mean you haven’t noticed Discord’s touch?”

“Dis-?” Silver facepalmed. “Of course.” Then she lowered her hand. “I wonder why…?”

“Protecting his interests, I think,” Hailey mused. Then she straightened up. “And even then, I’m just a student here anyways- if I choose not to obey every single letter that comes in, when I have no idea if it’s fraudulent or not, what is he going to do? Dock points?”

Silver let out a snort of laughter.

Hermione giggled softly as well. “Just don’t lose us the House Cup,” she told Hailey.

“Oh, no worries, we’re already in last place,” Hailey informed her. “I wonder how long that will last, though? I mean, we’ve already seen how imperfect the teachers are- who is to say Dumbledore is any different?” As she spoke, she mimed wrapping a turban around her head.

Silver snickered; she had been supremely unimpressed by Professor Quirrell’s first class as well. “I mean,” she muttered. “He is the one that hired ‘em all.”

“And it’s like Percy said at the welcoming feast,” Hermione grinned, leaning against Hailey. “ ‘He’s a genius!’ ”

“But yes, he is a bit mad,” Ron finished her quote, grinning like a loon.

Hailey snickered. “Anyways, we should probably finish eating before class starts, eh?”

“Yup,” Silver agreed, snatching a piece of bacon from Hailey’s plate and promptly attempting to stick it in Hailey’s mouth, with varied success.

Hailey cheerfully chomped on the offered bacon, before reaching over to fork Silver some of her own scrambled eggs.

Silver, whose owl had long since departed, delivered candy lying forgotten, accepted the offering and promptly reached past Hailey to feed Hermione some sausage.


Once again, Dumbledore found himself watching the Gryffindor table out of the corner of his eye. He couldn’t hear a word of what they were saying from where he was, but that Hailey Potter was certainly a strange one. She’d seemed to have had two friends already, when she first came to the school- a muggleborn named Hermione Granger… and one Silversong Malfoy. It didn’t exactly help that, when he asked the Ministry who Silversong was, all he got was shrugs and a healthy dose of ‘no clue’. He’d eventually found out that the girl’s file with the Ministry was stored in the so-called ‘Secure Drawer’, meaning that even he didn’t have access without Amelia Bones’ explicit permission.

And Amelia Bones did not like giving him permission. She’d outright refused when he’d asked- and when questioned, she’d refused because “The contents of those files are none of your business, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.”

He’d known, right then and there, that he wasn’t going to get any further on her; whenever she used his full name, that was her way of telling him to clear out, or else. He had yet to find out what that ‘or else’ was, but he was very sure that he didn’t want to find out.

But even her refusal had told him something: He was not Hailey’s magical guardian… even though she had required a standard muggleborn introduction, which always meant that the Hogwarts Headmaster- meaning, himself- had been assigned as the magical guardian.

He watched as the three girls started their rapidly-becoming-normal display of feeding each other, and let out a sigh. Ronald Weasley had, it seemed, managed to forge a friendship with them since they arrived- but he evidently had nothing on the bond between the girls.

He was pretty sure that the feeding display had started as a food fight during the welcoming feast. There was always at least one of those each time the school had a feast, after all.


Professor Snape paused in the middle of his roll call, looking at the next name on his list.

He was internally conflicted about how to handle the Potter girl. He was still indebted to the Potter boy’s father- but, with the news of Harry’s death, he had spent several sleepless nights trying to figure out how he would pay James back, without waiting for the man’s ghost to come calling.

He had wondered, ever since the Sorting earlier that week, if Hailey was in any way related- if he could pay James off by protecting her. From the sound of it, he wouldn’t- there was a rumor going around that she wasn’t his sister.

But then she entered his classroom- and whenever he looked at her, he could see young Lily Evans looking back at him. Hailey didn’t look exactly the same; her hair was different, and she had a number of subtle differences that made her just so much cuter than Lily ever was- but the resemblance was uncanny.

Perhaps the Potters had a daughter as well, that the world wasn’t told about? That would also explain Hailey’s last name!

He made a quick decision and, recalling what had happened when McGonagall had called Harry’s name at the Sorting, smiled as nastily as he could. It helped that he was in a nasty mood.

“Ahh, yes. Hailey Potter. Our new…” He paused for a fraction of a second, hunting for something to call her. “Heir of Gryffindor,” he decided.

“Heir of Gryffindor?” Hailey answered amusedly, eyebrows raised. “I think you’ve got the wrong girl.”

He snarled at her, and postponed his normal welcoming spiel. “Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?”

Hermione Granger, next to Hailey, raised her hand.

Hailey, however, scowled at her empty cauldron. “Um… I’m not sure.” She looked up at him. “What are the other ingredients in that infusion?”

So, she was going to be specific, huh? Time for something specific, then. He ignored her question. “What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?”

Hermione’s hand stretched even higher, but he still ignored it.

Hailey rubbed her chin this time. “Monkshood and wolfsbane…” She scowled. “I know I’ve read Monkshood somewhere, and that wolfsbane is more commonly referred to as Acolnite, but beyond that…” She shrugged.

His scowl deepened. The girl had obviously read the book. He cast about for something a little more obscure, but that would still have appeared. “Where would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?”

Hermione raised her hand so high that she stood up.

Hailey, however, blinked. “Oh. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat. Works as an antidote to most poisons, so there’s probably at least one in the store cupboard, and I know there’s one in my Potions kit- I got it specifically. Bizarre, aren’t they?” She smiled sweetly up at him.

Hermione sat down again, lowering her hand.

He sighed internally. He couldn’t even make fun of how little she knew, because she knew more than most second-years he’d subjected to that same questioning!

He wanted to take points off of her, but in the seconds he had to think about it, he couldn’t think of any justifiable reason- so he swept wordlessly back up to the front of the class to continue his normal spiel.


Snape had developed a habit of enumerating the ways potions could go wrong, in his head, at any given point in the brewing process. As a result, when his display of Silversong Malfoy’s excellently-stewed horned slugs was interrupted by a loud hissing from right behind him, he knew immediately that one of two things had happened. The first, and more likely, was that someone had added the porcupine quills before they took the cauldron off the fire. It had, after all, been a common mistake in his early years as a teacher, before he added specific warnings against it to his lesson plan.

The other possibility was that someone had done their potion properly, but was using a cheap pewter look-alike cauldron, usually made of iron, brass, or ‘aluminium’, rather than a true pewter cauldron.

Since the former issue was the more sedate of the two and still often caused a bit of a splash, he bolted directly away from the hissing even before he looked. The resultant potion was rather harmful basically no matter which it was, and he did not want to be splashed. He did feel a little sorry for Malfoy, who would have been left in the splash radius. For as much as he hated Gryffindors, the Malfoy family were very good friends of his- to the point where he was actually Draco’s godfather, once the boy resurfaced. He saw no reason he shouldn’t extend the same courtesy to his sister, adopted or not.

Before he had made the two full steps that would put him out of the danger zone of either disaster, he was overtaken by a cloud of acid green smoke.

That was a good thing; that meant it was the porcupine quills. The wrong cauldron would have made sky blue smoke that would infect other cauldrons of potion, causing the problem to cascade throughout the room if he didn’t vanish everyone’s potions.

He reached the safe distance for the porcupine quill mistake and turned around to investigate.

As expected, it was a Gryffindor. This was the Gryffindor side of the room, after all. Neville Longbottom was sitting alone at the ruined cauldron, drenched in the harmful potion. His partner, Saemus Finnegan, had frozen several strides away, carrying some ingredients from the student store cupboard; as Snape recalled, the boy had instructed Longbottom not to do anything until he got back.

The two students at the cauldron on the far side of Longbottom’s were just outside the splash radius- but their cauldron was not. Some contaminated potion had made it inside- so those two students, still unharmed, were leaping away from and fleeing their own contaminated potion. A shame, they had made a far less noticeable mistake almost ten minutes earlier that would’ve merely rendered their potion inert, so long as they didn’t make the quill mistake. He’d planned on using their mistake to show the class what a best-case scenario for a potion gone wrong looked like, and explain why something so simple as stirring it with the wrong hand could cause such a massive difference in the ending potion.

Malfoy and her partner, Hermione Granger, were in the splash zone themselves- but seemed amazingly unharmed. As a matter of fact, in a display of quick thinking, Granger had dumped the contents of her cutting board on the table in front of her- doing significant damage to the ingredients- in order to turn the cutting board into a makeshift lid for their cauldron, protecting it from splashes.

He gave his wand a little wave, using a quick charm to vanish the offensive potion. That was one of the main reasons he chose this potion as his opener, rather than something whose failure states were somewhat less harmful; with this one, no matter how one messed it up, the cleanup- and so, disaster containment- was as easy as a single charm. It was also a fairly easy potion to brew, and about seventy five percent of his students- on average- got it on their first try, even in their first class.

“Idiot boy!” He had, after all, ignored two separate explicit instructions- one in the class materials, and one from his partner not two minutes prior- in order to make that mistake. He couldn’t even blame it on Potter.

The apparent imperviousness of Granger and Malfoy against the harmful potion, though, bore investigation.

Author's Note:

The look-alike cauldrons were originally made of 'copper, brass, or aluminum'... until I looked up pewter, which is a mixture of copper, tin, antimony, bismuth, and sometimes silver. It didn't make much sense for one of the main hardening components of pewter (copper) to cause such a strange reaction with the potion- but brass (copper & zinc) might, since zinc is not present in pewter and so might have an aversive reaction with the potion. Aluminum and Iron are common working metals (in the modern age, at least), and neither are present in pewter, so I thought I'd put them on the list.

Also, pewter is a fairly dangerous metal to use on an open flame, yet also safe in the same way you can boil water in a plastic bottle: It has a very low melting point of, depending on the exact mixture, only 170-230C (338-518F). You could melt it down on your stovetop! This certainly explains how Neville melted Seamus' cauldron into a twisted blob... The porcupine quill addition must be a reaction with a high activation energy (only happens when still on the fire), and also highly exothermic, while also (vastly) raising the boiling point of the potion... This explains why it is cited in the books as burning holes in people's shoes, though not why Neville wasn't scalded when he was drenched in it. Magic, I guess.

Either that or Neville was, in fact, scalded, but the potion acted as a painkiller of sorts at the same time, meaning that Neville didn't really feel the burn, and giving him enough peace of mind to merely whimper when boils started popping up on his nose. This would certainly explain why Snape had him sent to the Hospital Wing rather than just treating him with a simple potion to cure boils... This does not excuse Snape's (very canon) first response of calling Neville (presumably badly injured) an "idiot boy"... At least he made the prompt Hospital Wing order in canon, and here, the assumption is that he did so immediately after the chapter ended. I didn't see the need to repeat it.

Patreon, Discord.

Once again, this is the last that I have currently available for publication. I have another chapter written, but it's a transition chapter- and I'm not certain, just yet, exactly what it is transitioning to, so it won't be going up- even to patrons- until I am sure. Which may be fast enough for it to go up here on schedule, but probably won't be.