• Published 8th Oct 2020
  • 5,912 Views, 595 Comments

The Boy Who Disappeared - computerneek



As Harry grew up, he knew something wasn't right. He never told the world- and then, before he ever saw his Hogwarts letter, everything changed.

  • ...
27
 595
 5,912

Chapter 3: Had a Vision

Hermione Granger knew it wasn’t a dream. For one, she wasn’t asleep when it happened- and for two, she had been carefully wiggling a heavy encyclopedia off a high shelf in the family library, while standing on a ladder. Had she really randomly fallen asleep, the book would have fallen on her, and she off the ladder- and she would likely have died.

But it sure looked like a dream. She couldn’t think of any other reason she’d be so suddenly laying on a mat on the floor, a blanket draped over her… and massive weights, ‘1 ton’ printed comically on their sides, holding the blanket down so she couldn’t move. She had to sigh- she rather regularly had nightmares about heavy objects she had to move, usually that grew or got heavier as she tried to move them.

At least this time, though, she could see the evening sun streaming in the window- she was even still in the library! Usually, those nightmares took place in dim, windowless rooms that kept creaking eerily, with the heavy objects blocking the exits.

Since she was utterly powerless to do anything, let alone try and move the weights, she instead looked around the room.

Well, there was the nightmare. The door had been barred by a big, thick timber.

Almost as soon as she noticed the door, though, it was gone. Very suddenly, she was running- stumbling, really- through a black void. Fleeing from… She slowed down so she could look behind her without falling over. It was… a tidal wave of weights, that was slowly tumbling towards her. But for as much as she was slow, it was even slower- unlike most of her nightmares that involved attacking weights, where they were invariably faster than she.

There was a part of her that wondered what would happen if they were to catch her, and smash her flat, in this strange not-a-dream dream. She overruled that, though, and thought it best not to risk it, so she turned back forward and resumed her flight, though slightly slower, so there wasn’t nearly as much risk of falling down.

She was just starting to wonder what they were chasing her to when everything changed again. The weights, the void, all gone. She found herself whimpering in the corner of…

She looked up, unsure of why she had been whimpering. It was a darkened room. She could see a brick wall behind the window panes, and there was a great beam locking the door closed, looking so heavy that even her dad wouldn’t be able to move it. She could tell that there was absolutely no light in the room, but she could still see.

She shivered. This room was about what all her nightmares took place in.

There was a difference, though. Usually, the room was made of plain stone, and completely empty, except for her and that door- no windows, even. This room, on the other hand, was made of marble. A massive bed dominated one side of the room. There was a large dresser, with a mirror above it, against the opposite wall- and next to the bed was a stand, on which a set of jeweled armor was hanging. It looked like horse armor, though.

Like it might fit the creature lying on the bed.

The first thing she noticed about this creature was that it was dead. Even from her position on the floor, she could somehow see that there was a gaping hole right through the middle of its body, in one side and out the other, caked with dried blood. Its fur was pure white, and it had a flowing rainbow mane and tail. It was a bit horse-shaped, if she ignored the unicorn horn and the wings- but she couldn’t decide what it was shaped like. At least the wings partially hid the hole in its side when they were folded.

Which they did. They had been stretched out behind the horse-like creature, but it rose slowly to its hooves, and folded its wings as it went. It looked over at her, stepped off the bed, and walked towards her.

She sat still, frozen with fear. What should she do? Was it going to attack her?

Then it spoke. “What’s wrong?” Its voice was warm, caring, and very disarming. It made her think of a benevolent monarch.

She was getting less and less afraid as she looked into its eyes, but she was still too frightened to speak. Yet, she found herself answering it with words that weren’t her own.

“That beam,” she said, gesturing at the door. “It won’t let me lift it.”

“My power could help with that,” it informed her. “I have no need of it.”

She took a deep breath, carefully calming her nerves. It had stopped approaching, about ten feet away. Then she looked at it again. “Your… power? Is that like mine?”

It blinked. “I don’t know your power,” it stated, “but mine would not replace it, no. It would be in addition to it.” It took a deep breath, even though its lungs were punctured. “Let me show you what I can do.”

Before she could respond, everything changed again. She was once again walking through the Void- though this time, she was in no particular hurry, and there were no weights. She was just thinking about that corpse, and wondering what it was going to show her, when she realized she wasn’t alone- someone was walking next to her.

She looked.

It was… herself. A doppelganger. Except, it didn’t look nearly as weak as she was- she could even see its toned muscles!

It looked up at her. “Good afternoon,” it greeted, waving.

Once again, before she could respond, everything changed. She was once again trapped under that blanket in the family library.

So was her muscled doppelganger, though. She stepped into view. “Or evening, I guess,” she stated, scowling at the window. She reached down idly, pulling away a couple weights with single fingers- and freeing Hermione’s right arm- before stepping a little closer to that window the sun was reaching in through. “Hmm, why evening, though?”

Then, she reached up, and plucked the sun out of the evening sky with her fingertips.

Hermione stared.

Her doppelganger walked around her. “Why not morning?” Then she reached up, and deposited the sun back into the sky, though a different window- and suddenly, it was a morning sun, instead of an evening sun.

Then everything changed again. She was walking through the Void once again, next to her doppelganger… who was holding the sun in one hand.

“Gah!” She raised her arms to shield her eyes from the light.

Her doppelganger closed her hand around the sun, hiding it from view. “Sorry.”

She lowered her arms to glower at her doppelganger. “Why does everything keep changing?” she demanded. “It’s so- so incoherent!

Her doppelganger shrugged. “Your guess is as good as mine.” She looked down at her closed fist. “With great power comes great responsibility,” she warned, and looked back up at her. “Are you ready?”

And again. She found herself in the room with the corpse. It was close enough for her to touch it, if she wanted to- but she was no longer scared of it- she was irritated. But not with it.

It spoke. “So, do you want it?”

She took a deep breath to calm herself down, keep herself from snapping at it. “With great power comes great responsibility,” she quoted.

It nodded. “My power is great power, yes, and with it comes great responsibility. You shouldn’t need much of it, in your world.”

She tilted her head. “So… what happened to you? Can’t you use it?”

It shook its head. “I’m already dead. He caught us by surprise.”

She nodded slowly. “Alright. So, where’s the catch? Will people come hunting for me?”

It shook its head again. “Only if you let them.”

“So where’s the catch?”

“I don’t think there is one. I don’t have anything to ask of you, except that you use it well- I’m already dead, after all. I’ve simply been given a last-second chance to pass my power on to someone that can use it for good.”

She rubbed her chin for a second, and made her decision. Things were finally starting to make a little sense. “Alright,” she considered. “I’ll take it. I think I’m ready… and if I’m not, it’s not like I have to use it just yet, right?”

“Well… No, it’s not, I guess. Here you go.” She bowed her head, and touched the top of Hermione’s head with the tip of her horn.

Instantly, the void was back. She wasn’t walking this time, though- instead, she was standing in place, facing her doppelganger.

“Why does it keep CHANGING!?” she snarled.

“I don’t know,” her doppelganger informed her. “But the good news is, we’re past the halfway point.”

“We are?” she asked, exasperated.

She nodded. “Yes, we are. Only…” She counted on her fingers. “Three more, unless you count the end of this… Vision, I suppose.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Really? How do you know that?”

“Because I’m part of it, of course. I’m a magical construct, formed from a few different pieces of spellwork and cooked up by your imagination- but I’m still a part of all the spellwork that is making this entire vision happen, so I can at least tell you what it’ll do, even if I can’t tell you why.”

She let out a sigh. “Alright. So… what’s next?”

Her doppelganger shrugged. “Well, right now, I need to teach you how to use Celly’s power. Once I do, you’ll be in that library, but you’ll be able to do what I did, so the weights won’t be an issue. Once you step off that yoga mat, you’ll be back here for me to say ‘good job’... then back with Celly for her to say ‘use it well’. Then, as soon as you throw off the beam in her room and touch the handle, it’s all done, and you’ll be back to… whatever you were doing before this all started.” She shrugged. “All I know is that it wasn’t sleeping.”

“... Alright. So, to… teach me how to use her power?”

She nodded. “Yep. It’s magic, so it might feel a bit… strange the first few times you use it.”

“Magic? You mean, like my healing power?”

She blinked. “You already have magic?”

She nodded. “Yeah. I can heal basically anything- all I have to do is touch it, and…” She scowled, searching for the word. “And… Let it be healed, I guess.”

“Huh. Then you’re already familiar with how to use magic- should make this a breeze. To continue on, you’ll just need to, ahh, ‘let’ yourself float, as it were, in the same way.”

She blinked. “Okay. Um… Before I… float away, um…”

Her doppleganger let out a small chuckle.

She smiled as well. “I wanted to ask. When it… started, I was standing on a ladder in the library, with a heavy book. I’m not going to fall off or anything, am I?”

“Um… You might. This entire vision takes about a half a second, and you are limp throughout it- but the good news is, you should be effectively indestructible when it’s done. I’d be more worried about the floor or furniture than about you.”

“What if I land on something sharp?”

“Once we’re done here, even bullets will have difficulty penetrating your skin very much at all. Any injuries you sustain from a fall- even if it’s a fifty-foot ladder- should be largely harmless, and very easy for you to take care of with that healing ability anyways.”

“And you said… Celly’s power? Is that…?”

“That pony? Yep. Princess Celestia. Those close to her sometimes call her Celly. I… don’t know any more than that, sorry. You might be able to learn more about her if you’re able to find the world she came from. Unfortunately, I can’t even tell you what it’s called- I don’t know it.”

She winced. “Dang. I guess I’ll just… use magic, then.”

Her doppelganger shrugged. “Yeah, right about. I’ve told you just about all I can, I think.”

Hermione nodded. “Alright, here goes.” Then, she did it. It came naturally, after all the practice she’d had healing both herself and Harry. And the occasional dental patient, whenever her dad brought her to work- she could fix any cavity in moments, no fillings required.

The Void disappeared in a flash of blinding white light, and she was in the library again. She raised the arm her doppelganger had freed before- and sure enough, she could see her muscles.

So she snapped her other arm upwards, launching the blanket at the ceiling like a missile. The weights, full tons of lead, went flying.

She giggled lightly as she stood up, and looked around at the carnage. Nearly everything was broken- and one weight had gotten lodged in the chandelier. How it was withstanding the weight, she had no idea.

She chuckled softly, and stepped off the yoga mat.

Exactly as she had expected, she was back in the Void with her doppelganger- who now looked like she had, including the difficulty standing up straight.

Her doppelganger opened her mouth to speak, but she spoke first. “Are you alright?”

She smiled, shaking her head. “Magical construct, remember? I literally can’t collapse. Good job with that- and one last thing: Your band size might have gone up.”

Before she had a chance to respond, she was back in the room with the corpse… with Princess Celestia.

Except, Celestia was disintegrating into white dust, which seemed to be blowing away on a nonexistent wind. “Use it well,” it said, before it disappeared completely.

She rose slowly to her feet, feeling the strength of the muscles she hadn’t had a few minutes before. “I will,” she promised the empty air. “I most definitely will.”

She then spent close to ten minutes searching the room for clues on its location.

Eventually, she found one. One of the awards she found dumped hap-hazardly into a dresser drawer read ‘Best Princess of Equestria: Princess Celestia’.

Even though not a single one of the awards actually sitting on the dresser had Celestia’s name on them. They were all different names, that sounded equally strange. There were Moondancer, Derpy Hooves, Twilight Sparkle, Princess Luna, Princess Cadence, Lyra Heartstrings, Starswirl the Bearded, Cheerilee, Pinkie Pie, and Big Macintosh, among a long list of other names.

Finally, clutching Twilight Sparkle’s Award for Academic Excellence in one hand, she walked to the door, flung off the beam, and touched the handle.

Very suddenly, she was back in her library, standing on the ladder, tugging on the encyclopedia.

Or, more appropriately, falling off the ladder, with the encyclopedia coming down after her like a missile.

She let out a startled cry as she fell, and landed on her back. Funny, it didn’t hurt all that much.

It also didn’t hurt that much when the encyclopedia hit her square in the stomach.

Or when the ladder then fell down on top of her.

It did make a lot of noise, though. She shoved it unceremoniously off of herself, then lifted the encyclopedia out of the way and sat up.

Then she looked down at herself… her muscled self.

And back up.

“Oh.”

She had wanted strength…

And then, she had it.

And her doppelganger was right. She did need a bigger bra.

Author's Note:

If you're like my editor, and wondering why an 11-year-old would need a bra at all, it's fairly simple: Female puberty normally starts between the ages of 9 and 14, and that's when the breasts start growing in. She probably didn't technically need one, but wore one anyways because really any bounce at all could throw off her already questionable balance.

Patreon, Discord.