• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 879 Views, 5 Comments

Memories of Chaos - LunarShadow

  • ...
1
 5
 879

Chapter 2

Memories of Chaos

I twirled the tiara around my talons, watching the pinpricks of light glitter on its surface. It’d been nearly a century and Princess Luna still had not been dealt with. Every time I looked through the little hole that had been created all those years ago, I saw the same few scenes.

Luna had taken to stalking the castle, snapping at anypony that happened to get in her way. This quickly became infrequent as ponies learned to avoid her. Even her sister began to tread lightly around Nightmare Moon. Soon, I often found myself staring into her room where she slept day and night for weeks at a time.

It pained me to watch her downward spiral into depression. I had meant for her to see the world in a chaotic way, not in some twisted world where she perceived ponies with pitchforks and torches around every corner. I could feel her depression seeping through the connection between me and her.

Over the course of a few weeks, I spent a lot of my time reflecting on my actions. In the end I came up with a short list of observations. First and foremost was that gods are not infallible. What I had done in the beginning of this mistake had been done in anger, grief, and maybe a touch of chaos. It had been uncharacteristic of me and I was reaping my reward.

The second, and last thing I noted was that Luna’s emotions could trickle down through the connection created by her crown. It opened up a world to her that I had not known about. I thought I had loved her then, but now, I absolutely adored her.

I realized that I had loved her as a two dimensional pony. A rather flat character. I loved her for her looks and intelligence. If I hadn’t been so blind, I would have looked deeper than that. I would have examined her wisdom, that is to say what she knew and how she applied it rather than her ability to learn, intelligence.

As the years passed and her emotions passed on to me, she began to have depth. She became a well rounded character with purpose. I discovered her true intents, and possibly the more subtle reason I had been attracted to her.

Deep down, she wished no ill intent on anypony, myself included. She wanted nothing more than to help Equestria flourish. But on top of that, she acknowledged the need for a balance. She recognized that a world in total harmony, or rather a world without any chaos, would eventually collapse in on itself. But she also knew that a world in complete chaos would end in nothing more than a bloody civil war.

That is why she had been so willing to trap me in stone. She may have seen me as more than a monster, but she hadn’t known all of my plans. She only knew about my desire to spread chaos.

Once I realized this, I formed a plan. Maybe I could fix this entire mess. I only needed Luna’s cooperation. Yet, I knew this would be nearly impossible. Nightmare Moon had completely blanketed the pony I had once loved. Digging through the mess I had created would be tough, but I’m the Lord of Chaos! I would get through to her, even if it took me another hundred years!

I bided my time, waiting for the perfect opportunity. I couldn’t do it when Princess Celestia made her routine visits to Luna, and I had to time is that I didn’t catch her when she was asleep.

Finally, Luna stayed up to study rather than sleep after a brief visit from her sister. I jumped on the chance.

“Luna, my dear rose of chaos,” I whispered.

She jumped up, knocking over a chair and spilling ink over the desk top. She looked around frantically, a low growl issuing from her. “Who’s there? Reveal thyself!”

“Only me, the one that you tra...” I clapped my paw and talon over my mouth. I wasn’t doing this to tear open old wounds. “It’s Discord,” I answered simply.

“Thine tricks will not work! Thou have been punished, and no matter what thou say, we shalt not free thee.” She magiced the ink mess off the desktop and levitated over some books from the bookshelf at the far end of her room. She lay down in her bed under the window and opened up the book, clearly trying to ignore my presence.

I let her be for a few minutes. I had to wait for her to open up a little. Like a clam, she had slammed shut at the first sign of “danger.” Slowly, as she calmed down, she would be more willing to listen as long as I was careful.

Finally, I said, “As much as I want freedom, that’s not why I came to you.” I shrugged as if she could see me. “You honestly don’t think I’m shallow as that. I don’t run on a one track mind, you know. No pony does. We often only see and acknowledge one aspect of anypony we come across.”

“But we know thou, Discord. Thou always have an ulterior motive behind thine actions.” Luna waved a hoof dismissively.

“I just want to talk.”

That got her attention. Her head shot up, and she closed the book. “About what?”

“You,” I replied. “It has not escaped my notice that—”

She cut me off, assuming that I was once again trying to woo her. “We gave thee, our crown. We felt thou reliving our memories. We thought we could do something for thee, so we risked a lot to give thee a momento. Was that not enough?” she hissed.

“I—”

She snarled, again cutting me off. “Do not think we couldn’t feel thine magic seeping through. We kept thine secret and that was how you repaid us? Thou abused that privilege.” She tossed her head back and laughed bitterly. “Though, we must thank thee. Thou opened our eyes to the true face of Equestria.”

I stamped my hoof in frustration. “That’s what I—”

The connection suddenly slammed shut. Her crown shimmered briefly and then vanished. Along with it, my view of the Equestrian world also disappeared. I was alone once again.

Suddenly, the cold prison around me became more pronounced. Without the hole, I was more aware of the fog swirling around my legs. The air seemed more frigid, and the darkness even blacker.

It was akin to being shoved under a lake of freezing water. The change surprised me, and for once I wasn’t sure what to do. For what could have been a second, or a thousand years, I just stood there. Finally, I tried cast a spell, but nothing happened.

Once again, I found myself completely alone in a cold, unfeeling prison.

Comments ( 2 )

ATLEAST! A DiscordxLuna
Do you know how long I waited for such a STORY?!
YOU ARE MY HERO! MY HERO!

1211864


Not only yours pal.
LunaXDiscord Fanfics are as rare as round diamonds.

Login or register to comment