• Published 4th May 2021
  • 1,575 Views, 32 Comments

Star Wars Episode IV, Rise of the Rebellion - FourShadow



It has been many years since the death of the Galactic Alliance and Order 66. But at the same time, it has given way for the birth of a new alliance who fights for freedom against the merciless Empire and their diabolical leader; Darth Midnight

  • ...
4
 32
 1,575

My Past Is Not Today/Ending

Lightning flashed inside Darth Midnight’s throne room. The true ruler of the Galactic Empire stood, gazing outside at the barren lands that covered the planet her fortress resided. Her breathing through the filters in her helmet, the steady hiss of air, was eerily audible as always, even in the open expanse of the throne room. Within her room were two Midnight Sovereign guards standing by the door, and a Grand Admiral who looked incredibly furious. This Grand Admiral had dark blue skin and red eyes, joining the ruler of the Empire as they gazed beyond the landscapes.

Just then, the doors opened. They heard footsteps coming forward, and then suddenly stop. Slowly turning around, the two of them faced the arriving guest; Commander Lightning Dust. Her head was now unhelmeted (not having enough time to get it back or get a replacement one), and her sliced arm now had an artificial replacement, visible to everyone who walked past her.

“Darth Midnight, we…," she stopped and nearly froze. She recognized that Chiss anywhere that stood next to her. "A-Admiral Thrawn. I wasn’t expecting to see you here, too,” Commander Dust spoke, taken by surprise. She slowly clutched her new artificial replacement, fearing what the admiral would say. He was one of the most influential authority figures in the entire Galactic Empire, and knowing what she failed to protect? She could only imagine what he was going to say.

Not waiting anymore, the Chiss admiral spoke. “You lost the factory. And yet you ordered your Death Watch troopers to hold a parade for your victory on Cato Neimodia. Explain yourself,” turning around to give her an ice-cold stare.

“It’s a celebration for our victory. Cato Neimodia belongs to the Empire now, and we’ve wiped out their entire battle droid forces. If there’s one more holdout left, then it means we are closer to erasing the entire army of CIS from existence for good.”

“But you failed to report to Lord Midnight that the Rebel forces have successfully destroyed my entire project, wasting my time, my efforts, and my resources,” Thrawn hissed.

Darth Midnight’s hand went up, as if to tell Thrawn to stay silent for a moment. She turned around and faced Commander Dust, glaring under her helmet.

"In any case, it is true then. The Rebels have shown that they are more than a thorn in our side. They have become an outright threat to the Empire." Midnight summised. “Rest assured, Admiral, despite the commander’s… unfortunate luck, we still have prototypes saved. I imagined an event like this would happen, so I came prepared.”

“Sooo we can still make more of those ships, can’t we?”

“No, we cannot,” Thrawn hissed. “The original blueprints, my blueprints, were stolen by that astromech that neither Captain Phasma, nor the Inquisitors could capture on their own. Which means my entire project has been compromised.”

Darth Midnight looked at the Grand Admiral. “I understand your frustration, Grand Admiral. Rest assured, I will handle this matter myself, and you will be compensated for her… mistake.”

Thrawn nodded and slowly stepped down the stairs, getting closer to the now scared commander. But before, he gave her one last more harsh stare, enough to make her tremble in fear.

“You may have succeeded with Cato Neimodia… but you’ve cost the Empire millions, destroyed any chances for my project to succeed, crippled more than half of my fleet, and gave the Rebels a victory that my project would have squandered. I hope you know where you stand now, because the victories the rebels will gain in the next few months… it will be because of you, Commander.”

And just like that, Thrawn left the throne room to let the dark lady of the Sith to take care of the rest of their business

“Mistress, I swear—”

—Silence.

The commander shut up at once. She also felt a powerful force lock her arms and legs down, as if she couldn’t move from her current position. She didn’t see Midnight’s hands go up as she had heard before, but she was visibly shaking as the leader marched down the steps towards her.

“If you were any other officer, I would have finished this matter in seconds. But I know your skills are valuable, and so are your Death Watch. I want to know who won. Who was in charge of this operation that destroyed the Defender project?”

The invisible force suddenly released its grip, and Lightning could feel her arms and legs again. She reached to her side, and removed the items she'd brought with her from her belt.

“Before I came here, I asked for the archives to look into old Republic files, and I discovered something rather interesting about the ones responsible…”

She led her to the projection table on the right side of the room, inserting a datachip into the projector. The first images that loaded was Sunset Shimmer in a running pose, captured by the security footage from the battle.

“Sunset Shimmer, naturally,” Commander Dust nodded. “But I also discovered she has some new friends.”

“Did she bring any astromechs with her?”

“… Well, yes, but, I don’t see how that’s important—”

Darth Midnight said nothing but gave her an icy-glare like Thrawn did, which the commander quickly understood. “I’ll load up that image.”

She projected another image, more recordings from the battle. Spike and the other three astromechs trying their best to participate in the fight, shown by the little claws extended in fighting poses from both C1 units. “I cross-referenced the droids just in case, and not only is SP-1K there, but apparently astromechs from the old Republic were present during the fight.”

Datapictures showing the three other profiles flickered before Midnight as she stood there, taking notice of them.

“The droids may seem like tools to you, Commander. But astromechs are far more reliable than you give them credit,” Midnight replied. “Hmm… CH-33P and RG-G1. Reported destroyed during the Ryloth campaign, and the Siege of Malastare. And R2-D2; he served with Skywalker. Naturally, he would still be online all these years.”

“This group did have commando droids, but they were quickly destroyed, Mistress,” Commander Dust continued. “Most of them were just made out of junk and spare parts, but the assassin droid on the other hand…”

Another holographic photo was displayed, showing IG-11 standing side by side with a Rodian and an Ithorian rebel, trying to aid in their escape.

“What about people? Were there any other people among the group?”

A projection of Lyra, Bon Bon, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash was shown in the next photograph. Bon Bon was flying with her jetpack holding her blasters up, caught firing mid-flight. Lyra swung her lightsaber around to deflect the blaster shots from a nearby Death Watch soldier, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash were seen using DC-15 blasters as they stood with the group.

“Jedi by the look of them,” the Commander commented.

“More Jedi, it would seem,” Darth Midnight noted. “Yet I sense there’s something else you’re not telling me…”

“Well… um… the one who managed to destroy it all, she… she’s just some brat, a brat who took my arm! But, but--" she caught herself, trying to keep her cool in front of her boss. "--she isn’t important. Could have finished that kid off if the stupid—”

“—If this ‘brat’, was able to destroy an entire station, and subdue you in the process, then she’s worth looking into. Ignoring your pride that you put before security, who is this child?”

The last image was put on display. Flurry Heart standing in a fighting pose with her lightsaber, completely free of the makeshift Midnight armor, looking determined to fight. Midnight focused on her, almost as if she was studying her.

“No kriffing clue. I never got her name, and the chain-code they provided was fake.”

“Interesting… Pure-born Equestrian. Strong with the Force, I take it?"

"She's got something, but it isn't strong," Lightning protested. "Little brat was scared to fight me like a real warrior."

"She's a Padawan learner," Midnight corrected, sternly but softly. "Strong with the Force, but much to learn. Yet something about her seems... familiar somehow," she thought, looking at the surveillance footage of Flurry rushing in and slicing off Lightning's limb, much to the latter's dismay.

"Who cares who she is!?" Lightning blurted. "She nearly killed me!"

"And yet she didn't," Midnight corrected, standing taller than her again as she addressed the commander. "Still though, this is something I will need to look into personally. I expect this child will show up once again in any future battles or assaults; I may need to dispatch some spies or informants to look out for her. In the meantime; we're going to have to keep ahead of schedule on the main project. Thrawn's may have failed, but I won't be making the same mistake."

A holographic display of the bigger project unveiled itself to both her and Commander Dust, who looked at it with intrigue.

"You sure this will work?"

"It's purpose is strictly to strike fear; that is all. Alterations to the design were made in favor by all members of the ISB; a matter I have no control in. Til it's completed; we will continue to do what we can to ensure the galaxy's protected," Midnight swished her cape around as she walked back up the steps to her main throne, looking out the window, lightning flashing again.

"One day, little Padawan... one day, our paths will cross...."


Yavin IV

It felt strange to suddenly have peace on the home base. People still went around to do their jobs, but there wasn't any rush, panics, or sense of urgency. Flurry Heart and her friends finally could calm down from all the excitement back on Scarif. The teen sat on the ramp of the Sweetie Drop, watching the scene before her. Many of the freed prisoners and captives were getting the medical attention they needed, and she could see some of them embracing some of the Rebels on the base. She recognized some from appearance, but not many.

The muscular Devaronian woman that helped save Flurry from being shot at the camp barracks was looking around for someone, anyone in particular. Her face lit up when she ran towards a regular human man with tan skin, embracing him closely, and the both of them giggling and laughing as they held each other. She kissed him on the lips, and he kissed her back, both embracing one another. A Pantoran man who pushed from the crowd was found embracing his partner, a Gran man with a missing left eye who gave him a loving embrace as well, happy to see he made it home safely.

Flurry smiled more when she saw a woman holding a little boy, her son, embracing him closely, even amidst all the tears of joy. This woman made it home alive, and she got to see her child again. Sunset climbed down the ramp of the Sweetie Drop, and sat down next to Flurry, watching as the freed allies embraced their friends, family, or received medical treatment that was necessary.

“It’s amazing, isn’t it?” Sunset said, patting Flurry’s good shoulder. "Even after everything they've gone through... we still got them home safely."

“Yeah… it is,” Flurry said, softly. “You think they’ll be okay?”

“For now. We’ll still need to find a safe place to relocate the Yakyakiees, but that’s something we can discuss with them,” Sunset replied.

“How’s that Jedi woman that you got from the camp?” Flurry asked, looking back at her new boss.

“Maybe I should let her tell you,” Sunset said with a smile. “Follow me.”

--

Flurry followed Sunset back to the infirmary, going to a bed on a far side that had a more seriously injured patient; Mystery Mint. No longer dressed in her jumpsuit, she now had a hospital gown like everyone else, covered underneath a blanket for warmth. Bandages had been applied to her face, all over her arms, trying to cover every single cut, wound, and any other injury that had occurred. Her blackened eye was still weak, and she could barely see out of it, but she could see clearly with her other eye. On her bedside was a Lurmen; her friend, Kilo Da, from the camp.

“Hey, Mystery,” Sunset greeted, warmly as she walked to her bed. “How are you doing?”

The woman leaned her head to the side, weakly smiled. “Never better.”

“The doctor said she needs to stay in bed for maybe a week or two. She’s really hurt bad,” Kilo explained. “But I’m happy she’s still alive. She’s the only one that kept most of us alive in that camp.”

Mystery’s smile washed away, turning back to a frown. “I just wish I could have kept everyone alive.”

“You did what you could,” the Lurmen replied, holding her hand, and letting her fingers intertwine with his.

“You’ll be okay now,” Sunset reassured. “We were able to save everyone else, and they’re back with their families. And we’ll be making sure the Yakyakiees get sanctuary.”

Mystery slowly turned her head, looking at Flurry. Her clean eye squinted, trying to see who she was looking at.

“I… don’t think I know you. You a newbie?”

“She is,” Sunset nodded. “This is Flurry Heart.”

“Nice to meet you,” Flurry greeted.

“Nice to meet you too, kid,” Mystery said, trying to adjust herself on her pillow. “So… where are her parents?”

“Right here,” Lyra announced, walking to the room with her wife. She and Bon Bon held each other’s hands as they looked at the injured girl. “Hey Mystery. Long time no see.”

“… Okay, I can’t tell if it’s the pain relievers in my body, but I swear Lyra is still alive,” Mint’s eye squinted.

“No, she’s alive, she’s right here,” Sunset confirmed. “Also she’s married.”

“And the lucky girl is…” she leaned her head a little bit. “… just… some girl.”

Bon Bon playfully rolled her eyes at her response. “Mandalorian girl, by the way. Glad to see you’ve got a sense of humor.”

“What’s left of it anyways,” Mint shrugged off, letting her free hand lay limp. "Are... there any others still alive?"

"You bet there are. Buuuuut I think right now you should probably get some rest," Sunset softly smiled. "You've suffered enough."

"Sunset, no," Mystery weakly argued. "I can still fight, I just need--"

"--that's an order," Sunset sassed with a smirk. "Until you're completely healed, both physically and mentally, you're staying on base. Understood?"

The captain groaned as she let her hand lay limp again. "Yes ma'am."

"Come on girls, let's give her some space," Sunset urged, getting everyone to follow her out of the room.


Back outside; Flurry Heart and her friends sat on a few cargo crates, sharing a few celebratory drinks in honor of their victory. Even the adults joined them to participate. The adults had a few beverages like some wine (they were off duty for the rest of the evening), while the younger members settled for either soda or milk. Although Lyra and Bon Bon made a surprise of homemade milkshakes to properly celebrate.

"Well ladies, and gentlemen of course... I propose a toast; to a toast to Imperial destruction, and a successful mission."

"Here, here!"

Everyone gave a quick sip of their drinks, feeling much more replenished and alive after a long day.

"So... what happens now?" Flurry asked, wiping some whipped cream off her nose.

"We keep up the fight," Gallus clenched his fist with pride. "They got the message; we're not screwing around anymore."

"Friends done letting worlds be burned and exploited for power," Yona slammed her foot. "Rebels fight!"

"Dang straight," Applejack hollered. "I know I'm all in."

"So am I," Rainbow Dash agreed, flexing her prosthetic fingers. "How you feeling, kid? I know this is your first fight and all, but are you still up for it?"

Lyra and Bon Bon's attention turned to Flurry, and so did all eyes. The teen took another sip of her milkshake and looked at them all, with a small but sincere face.

"After today? I want to stay and help fight. We can't just go back wasting away on Tatooine. I still wanna fight for something worth fighting for. ... If my moms are okay with it," she sheepishly sat back down.

Now everyone looked at the married couple.

"I think it's safe to say we're not going anywhere," Bon Bon agreed. "I think I'm done chasing small fry, I want to take more risks again like I used to."

"Same here," Lyra gave her wife a peck on the cheek.

"Well then, I guess we can officially say, welcome to the Rebellion!" Ocellus raised her cup.

--

Sunset was planning to join her friends celebration later. Right now, she had to do a mandatory check in with the higher ups. Admiral Raddus, General Dodonna, and Captain Sentry were gathered around the table, and next to Sunset were both Spike and R2-D2, giving them the reports on the full mission.

"So... it's really gone? They can't make any more?" Flash asked, still having a hard time believing it.

Sunset nodded. "Mmmhmm. And you can thank our new recruit Flurry Heart for being the one who finished off production, using one of their own ships."

"That little girl did that?"

"Well, okay she did have help from Team Six, but yeah. She stopped them."

For the first time in a long while, Dodonna had the biggest smile on his face. "If this is true... then the Rebellion can finally have a chance to make things right. Without those fighters, they're stuck on the same ground as we are. Sunset, you and your crew have given the Rebellion the hope we've needed."

"Are you sure?" Sunset asked, rather unsure.

"We've run in circles over and over with them, and we haven't made any real progress. Now that a major defensive project is out of the way, we'll have a chance to keep pushing back stronger than ever now that they can't wipe us out so easily," Admiral Raddus countered. "Some of our allies heard the news when you brought back the freed prisoners and Yakyakiees. Apparently we're steadily growing in popularity to some people."

Spike's dome slowly turned to lock onto all three personnel. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah," Flash said with a grin. "We've picked up calls from several Rebel cells that want to come over to join us; they finally believe in us."

"And we've also made contact with a few Equestrians on New Las Pegasus that want to offer some resources to us in exchange for joining our side," Dodonna added.

Sunset took a moment to let this sink in. Her face slowly went from neutral to softly smiling, to the biggest grin she had in a long while.

"... I'm gonna need a moment, I'll be right back," she said, barely containing the squeeing in her voice. R2-D2 and Spike followed suit, assuming the meeting was over, heading to join the others for celebration.

Flash could only chuckle at the sight. "I haven't seen her this excited in a long time. I missed hearing her act like that."

"She's honestly adorable when she's happy," Admiral Raddus smiled.


Taking her excitement outside of the main temple, Sunset watched as the sun began to set on another beautiful evening. For the first time in what felt like years, she began to feel warm inside. Content. Proud. For years she and her fellow Rebels had struggled to try and rise up and then fell after being found, the cycle just continuing over and over. But today, they did it. They finally put the Empire in their place. They finally showed their greatest threat they weren’t a joke, they weren’t screwing around anymore.

Begun, the Civil War was. And they were going to fight til their end. And with the rising sounds of music filling the air, Sunset began to sing as she stood atop the temple that homed many of their allies.

Power
Was all I desired
But all that grew inside me
Was the darkness I acquired

When I began to fall
And I lost the path ahead
That’s when their friendship found me
And it lifted me instead

Sliding down the temple with a steel grip and jumping onto the platform below, she stood proud with a beaming smile.

Like a phoenix burning bright in the sky

She watched as a fiery comet flew across the skies above them, shining just as bright as herself.

I'll show the Jedi have not died with me
You can't deny

A few figures moved out of the shadows on the platform, joining her to look at the sun setting in the distance. Captain Syndulla carrying her baby, Chopper, Zeb, and Sabine all joining together to watch together with proud smiles. Somehow the spirits and joy of Equestrians singing reached them and made them feel that particular joy just like Sunset was.

I may not know what the future holds
But hear me when I say
That the my past does not define me
Cause my past is not today

Finally, safely back on the tarmac of the temple, she paced through the grounds as memories started to resurface in her head.

The day she chose to abandon her former Master and try to seek power for herself. The day she was first battled with the Jedi Six….

Ambition
Is what I believed
Would be the only way to set me free

… the day she was welcomed among them to be given a chance to be a part of them. The day she and Master Twilight fought in the arena on Geonosis, and the arrival of their greatest allies and threats coming to help them. The day she had to face down against Darth Midnight to avenge those who were lost in the Purge.

But when it disappeared
And I found myself alone

The day she was called to rise back up to fight again. The day she reunited with Spike and Captain Sentry. And many other memories that she never forgot to this very day….

And as she kept walking, she turned around and found a wide masse of Rebel allies who looked at her with proud smiles, knowing what she and her team had accomplished today. She even got a genuine smile from an old smuggler and his Wookiee ally over by the Corellian freighter, even if it was as simple as a smirk and salute to her.

That's when you came and got me

And as the sight of her old friends rushed up to join her to watch the sun set in the distance. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Spike, R2-D2 all rushed up to join her. Even the Heartstrings and their family were encouraged to join them as they looked at the sun setting in the distance.

Rainbow and Applejack both embraced her friend whose eyes were tearing up with joy; she had never been so damn happy!

And felt like I was home

Her energy started to elevate more and more as she felt herself running on the tarmac, even tossing her jacket in the air, not caring about where it could possibly float off.

Like a phoenix burning bright in the sky
I’ll show there's another side to me
You can't deny
I may not know what our future holds
But hear me when I say
That my past does not define me
Cause my past is not today

And so for one more time, the rest of her friends stood with her to join her as they watched the sun slowly turn to dusk.

Like a phoenix burning bright in the sky
We’ll show there's another side to us
You can't deny

Across the galaxy, a pair of metallic red eyes stared out of a sun setting in the distance in an old outpost, sitting on a throne with clicking fingers on his throne…

I may not know what our future holds
But hear me when I say

And on another system, a woman with eyes facing opposite directions stood with a handful of men by her side, watching the sun set on their world as well, taking in the beauty of the sight before them.

As for Sunset and her friends, they could only gaze at the beauty of the sunset across the skies. Their adventure, and the Civil War had only just begun, and they would do everything they could to win, with the light on their side... and the Force surrounding them all.

That our past does not define us
Cause our past is not today

Cause our past is not today!



The End


STARRING

REBECCA SHOICHET
Sunset Shimmer

ANGELA BASSETT
Midnight Sparkle

TABITHA ST. GERMAIN
Flurry Heart

ASHLEIGH BALL
Lyra Heartstrings
Applejack
Rainbow Dash

ANDREA LIBMAN
Bon Bon

CATHY WESLUCK
SP-1K "Spike"

VINCENT TONG
Sandbar
Captain Flash Sentry
Emperor Blueblood

GAVIN LANGELO
Gallus

DEVYN DALTON
Ocellus

KATRINA SALISBURY
Yona

LAUREN JACKSON
Silverstream

SHANNON-CHAN KENT
Smolder

BRITT IRVIN
Lightning Dust

GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE
Captain Phasma

KATHLEEN BARR
Fourth Sister

KELLY SHERIDAN
Second Sister

DEE BRADLEY BAKER
Clone Troopers
Rebel Officers

MATTHEW WOOD
Battle Droids

TAIKA WAITITI
IG-11

DAVE FILONI
CH-33P "Cheep"
C1-10P "Chopper"

ASHLEY ECKSTEIN
K2-B4

UZO ADUBA
Mystery Mint

MICHAEL BELL
General Dodonna

STEPHEN STANTON
Admiral Raddus

ANTHONY DANIELS
C-3PO

ALAN TUDYK
K-2SO

VANESSA MARSHALL
Hera Syndulla
Midnight Troopers

TIYA SIRCAR
Sabine Wren

STEVE BLUM
Zeb Orellios
Midnight Troopers

Author's Note:

Thank you again to Scholary-Cimmerian for proof-editing and also helping me write this story!

Let it be known that this isn't the end; there is more story to come for this universe, we ain't ending it here. But I hope you enjoyed reading this one, and have a good rest of your day/evening! ^^

Comments ( 1 )

Glad to have been a help to you, Four, and it was a real joy to see this journey through to its conclusion. :yay:

I quite enjoyed the opening scene of this chapter with Lady Midnight, Thrawn and Lightning Dust. It was fun, in a cruel sort of way, to see Dust get raked over the coals for her screwup. And it ended on a solid note as well, seeing how the dark lady of the Empire has taken an interest in Flurry Heart...

Speaking of which, it was quite sweet to see a lot of the Rebel victory. Joyous for sure, and actually pretty mellow in its own way; certainly compared to the award scene from the original source material :raritywink: But this works quite nicely. I liked the more reflective moments - seeing Mystery Mint again, Flurry and her moms choosing to stay with the Rebel Alliance and fight for a better future, and of course, that ending song. Fine use of Sunset Shimmer's iconic song there. :pinkiehappy:

Once again, congrats on finishing this story! Looking forward to seeing how the series goes forward in the days ahead!

Login or register to comment