• Published 12th Jul 2020
  • 16,669 Views, 1,095 Comments

The Alicorn Warrior - iAmSiNnEr



Twilight Sparkle was banished from Equestria a long time ago. Now when the rest of the Mane 6 finds her, they find that she has changed.

  • ...
77
 1,095
 16,669

Act I - Chapter 16 - Polar Opposites(Rewrite)

Author's Note:

I've rewritten this chapter, hope everyone enjoys!

The Alicorn Warrior

Written by iAmSiNnEr

Edited by Stinium_Ruide

Writing assisted by MIGHTY_C

Chapter 16- Polar Opposites


“I am amazed at the sheer turnout today,” Twilight commented, gazing out at the crowd from the private viewing box she had reserved for her friends.

“It is probably your last official open challenge day,” Hard Line noted as he turned to face Twilight. “I have my assistant settling the challengers and allocating them their time slots. Of course, you won’t be fighting all of them, but it’ll be a tournament bracket, and the winner gets to challenge you once it’s done. After all, even you can’t fight that many.”

“What about the challenge I told you about?” Twilight asked. “You know, about how my friend Starlight Glimmer wanted to try?”

“Don’t worry,” Hard Line assured her, a thin smile emerging from his lips. “I have that scheduled as the opening fight, to start the day off.”

“I also noticed that you preemptively made sure that the betting stations had more than enough,” Twilight stated dryly. “Expecting a large number of bets today?”

“Mm,” Hard Line agreed. “According to my calculations, we’re going to have a larger number of fights than we normally have on a single day, so I had to make sure.”

“Twilight!” Pinkie popped up in front of her, and this time Twilight didn’t even flinch. “Do you know where we can get some snacks? I’ve looked all over, and I can’t find any!”

“There’s food stalls outside the Arena,” Hard Line said. “But I don’t think you’d want to make the trip-” But before Hard Line could finish, Pinkie zipped away, her pink mane being the last thing they saw disappearing into the crowd.

“Don’t tell Pinkie Pie what she doesn’t want to do,” Twilight advised. “Or what she could do. She’d just break reality like she always does.”

“Ah,” Hard Line nodded. “Perhaps I should concentrate on something I could understand.”

“That would be wise,” Twilight agreed, before turning around to look at Starlight. “Starlight, you ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” the mare said resolutely, a burning determination radiating in her eyes.

“You know,” Twilight teased, chuckling a little. “It’s not too late to back out.”

“I’ll show you I have a chance at beating you,” Starlight smiled. “I’m no slouch, either.”

“No hard feelings though, right?” Twilight asked hopefully as she came forward to nudge Starlight’s barrel.

“Of course not!” Starlight replied incredulously. "What? Did you actually think that I would challenge you just for the sake of revenge?"

“Heh,” Twilight chuckled before clearing her throat. “Of course not. Just needed to make sure.”

“I also have a plan up my figurative sleeve,” Starlight added. “I am confident I can at least give you a run for your money, if not beat you. But I’ll do my best.”

“Leave the banter for the actual fight, eh?” Hard Line asked dryly. “In twenty-two minutes, you’ll both be down there, and you can show everyone your skills.”

“Talking about that…” Twilight turned her gaze back into the arena, trying to catch a glimpse of the commentator’s box. “Who’s today’s commentator?”

“I’ve gotten Bell to do it today,” Hard Line replied. “He arrived earlier today, and apparently he travelled through the night to be here today. His exact words were, and I quote, ‘I couldn’t miss this’, unquote.”

“He is pretty good,” Twilight mused, sighing. “A pity he retired last year after that griffon cut off his leg-”

“Excuse me,” Rarity interrupted as she walked in with the rest of the group. “Did you just say, cut off his leg?”

“Yes,” Twilight nodded as Fluttershy paled. “And he recovered from that, not to worry,” she assured them. “I made him another leg made out of metal, and he says it works better than the old one.”

“You know metalworking?” Applejack asked, raising an eyebrow. “Ah wasn’t under the impression you were taught smithing.”

“As with my other skills,” Twilight said patiently. “I learnt quite a few here. Painting, smithing, fighting, all of these skills were learnt for me to be able to survive and live comfortably.”


“Ah,” Applejack nodded. “Understood.”

“By any chance, darling,” Rarity interjected. “Did you learn how to work with jewels and gems?”

Twilight stifled a laugh. “Rarity, have you seen any in this town?”

“No- oh.” Rarity blinked.

“Yeah,” Twilight nodded. “To get jewels in the desert, you’d need to dig insanely deep down to get even the slightest hint of one. It’s just generally not worth that much work. In fact, the sand you’d dig up would be worth more than the gem you’d find. It’s that deep here.”

“So that’s why we haven’t seen any, then,” Rarity pouted. “A pity. The seamstress I visited yesterday had so many good designs, they would just look splendid with a few gems.”

“It is what it is,” Twilight shrugged. “We make do, and besides not many of us wear extravagant clothing, the clothes that she designs are meant to be comfortable yet look aesthetically pleasing to the eye.”

“Of course,” Rarity nodded. “It makes sense.”


“I’m back!” Pinkie announced, suddenly appearing in their midst with a plate of cakes and waffles.” Hard Line flinched, while the group jumped in their seats.

“Pinkie!” Rarity chastised. “How many times have I said not to scare us?”

The mare in question shrugged. “I didn’t intend to scare you all,” she pouted, before brightening up. “Besides, snacks!” she presented the plate to them.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said softly as she took one of the cakes in her hooves.

Rarity sighed. “Oh, alright. But I swear, one day, Pinkie, you’re going to give me a heart attack…” she levitated one of the waffles over to herself.

Rainbow looked over from where she had been staring down at the milling crowd, attracted by the food that Pinkie had brought. “That definitely looks good!” she exclaimed, grabbing one of the cakes for herself before stuffing it into her mouth all in one go. “Nd it astes good too,” she mumbled through the cake.

“Of course!” Pinkie beamed. “I made sure of that before I bought them using Twilight’s money!”

“My-” Twilight blinked. “Oh, right, I gave you that bag of coins this morning, didn’t I?”

“Yep!” Pinkie nodded enthusiastically.

“You two should get going now,” Hard Line pointed out. “We’ll be starting in fifteen minutes.”

“Right,” Twilight stood up. “Ready, Glim Glam?”

Starlight rolled her eyes. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”


“Welcome, every creature!” Bell shouted out to the arena with his magically amplified voice. “Today marks an important day, the day we say goodbye to the one and only...Sneaky Sparkle!”

The crowd roared at her name, cheering as loudly as they could. “She’s given the arena so much more to offer!” Bell continued enthusiastically. “She has given us a whole new world of entertainment, attracting so many creatures from all over the Badlands...I think I speak for all of us when I say I’m grateful to her. Plus,” he chuckled. “She did give me a new leg too.”

“So!” he shouted. “We’ll begin the day with a fight between Sneaky Sparkle and a new challenger, Starlight Glimmer! Let’s give it up for... Sneaaaaaaky Spaarkle!”

The crowd’s excitement rose to a fever pitch as the portcullis to the passageways under the arena opened with a characteristic creak, revealing Twilight waiting patiently, her eyes unfazed by the familiarity of the arena. Scanning her surroundings, she noticed that the arena was filled to the absolute brim with a roaring crowd. Seems like Hard Line wasn’t lying when he said that we’re going to be at peak capacity today…

“And now,” Bell continued. “We welcome a first-time challenger, Starlight Glimmmmmer!”

As the portcullis on the other side of the arena opened, Starlight trotted in confidently with a smirk on her face. Twilight frowned. What could she have up her sleeve…?

“Are you two ladies ready?!” Bell shouted. Both Twilight and Starlight nodded, lowering themselves into a battle-ready stance as the portcullis on both sides closed.

“Then…” Bell paused for effect, letting the roar of the crowd wash over them. “BEGIN!” he bellowed, sending the crowd into a frenzy as Twilight advanced, her horn awash in lavender light.

“Time to wipe that smirk off your face!” Twilight shouted as she released the spell, the bolt arcing towards Starlight. Starlight teleported away just as the spell was about to hit her, and the bolt slammed into a wall uselessly, cement flying everywhere.

Twilight whirled around, scanning her surroundings. No sign of- A stun bolt slammed squarely into her wards, pushing Twilight back a little from the impact. Twilight grunted as she dug her hooves into the ground, anchoring herself. So we’re going the invisibility route, eh?

“You can’t hide from me!” she yelled, flapping her wings to ascend into the air for a better view. Lighting her horn, she cast a spell. As the spell washed over the arena, she waited in anticipation for the reveal of the challenger. But even as the spell completely covered the arena field, no Starlight was revealed.

“What-?” Twilight blinked in surprise. “Oh, you sneaky sneaky little-” she swore under her breath. “Resorting to tricks now, I see.” Gotta conserve my mana, I still have another fight.

The crowd watched on with bated breath, nearly bringing every creature to the edge of their seat. This was the first time their champion had gotten this frustrated, and Twilight could sense the disappointed looks from the normally roaring crowd that she had not ended the match as fast as she normally did. Yeah, some of ‘em aren’t gonna win their bets...

“Damn it,” Twilight muttered under her breath. “How do I do this…?”

A pop from behind Twilight prompted her to whirl around, but it was too late. Starlight fired a blue-colored spell at her, shattering her wards instantly as she teleported away again in another brilliant flash. For the first time in months, Twilight was...vulnerable. How-? She clearly knows a spell that I don’t!

Time to up my game. “You can’t hide from me forever!” she shouted as she charged her horn to fire another spell.. “I’ve got spells you’d never have the mana for!” She fired the spell at the ground, causing the dirt and dust to shoot up into the air as she cast another spell, sending the dirt and dust into several mini tornados that she had conjured up.

“Dodge that!” she snarked.

The tornados spread over the field, churning up the ground as they searched for the challenger, making sure to spread as much dust as they could. Before long, her keen ears heard coughing from the northern portcullis. “Gotcha!”

Diving down, she materialized a lasso, throwing it towards where she had heard the cough. The lasso wrapped around something, and Twilight grinned as she yanked on the lasso, pulling what she thought to be Starlight up. As Twilight leveled down to the mystery object, she smiled. “Gotcha-”

Suddenly, the air around her exploded, and Twilight reeled back from the blast, her ears filled with nothing but ringing.

A trap! Twilight thought groggily, momentarily stunned. That sneaky little-

Before she could continue beating herself up, a barrage of spells was soon upon her, and Twilight was forced to pull up a shield, even as the ones she was too slow to stop slammed into her wards and were deflected away. The crowd was roaring in disbelief, their hollering even drowning out Bell's magically amplified commentary.

Starlight teleported in front of her, a wide grin on her face. Her mouth moved as if saying something. Twilight frowned. “What?” she asked. Starlight said something in response, and yet she still couldn’t hear what the other mare said. Enough of this! Casting a spell to clear the ringing in her ears, she immediately slung a stun bolt at Starlight.

The bolt passed through Starlight, and Twilight blinked as the illusion grinned back at her. “Didn’t expect this, did ya?” the illusion said. “Perhaps you sho-”

Out of a sudden, a bolt slammed into her shield as the illusion dissolved, “You forgot your own lesson!” the voice came from somewhere to her left, and Twilight twisted to try to find the source of the voice.

“You’re getting distracted now,” Starlight goaded as another bolt of magic slammed into Twilight’s shield. Where in the buck is she-

“Getting a little lost?” Starlight giggled from somewhere behind her, and Twilight whirled around immediately to try and find her, but there was no Starlight in sight. “I suppose, you are...kind of blind now, aren’t you? How about a little more? Take it as a little revenge for the dust trick you pulled on me.” A ball of sand splattered into Twilight’s face from inside her shield, causing her to splutter and rub at her eyes, the sand causing irritation everywhere it touched.

“Gah!” Twilight bellowed as the crowd’s whispers grew to loud murmurs. “Enough!” A wave of magic blasted from her horn in a circular radius, revealing Starlight immediately and sending her flying through the air. Clearing the sand from her eyes with a quick spell, she advanced on the mare.

“No more dirty tricks-” Starlight teleported away, leaving nothing but the ever abundant dust in her wake. “Gah! Hold still so I can-”

“What?” Starlight whispered teasingly from beside her. “So you can what?”

Twilight yelped, surprised by the sudden appearance of the mare beside her as she jumped. Starlight giggled and vanished in a flash again.

“Dammit,” Twilight growled. “I should have never agreed to this, you’re getting on my nerves.”

“Getting a little...touchy today, are we?” Starlight snarked as shards of crystal were fired at Twilight, slamming into her shield and weakening it bit by it. The barrage continued as Twilight was forced to feed more of her aura into her protective bubble.

“You little-” Twilight growled. Enough games.

“Eat this!” she shouted as she cast a teleport negating spell over the arena, making sure the mare couldn’t annoy her any longer. There was a yelp from behind her as a spluttering Starlight failed her teleport, the spell backfiring on her.

Now’s my chance! Twilight fired a stun bolt squarely at Starlight, but the bolt was easily deflected off the latter’s wards.

“And now the Sneaky Sparkle is attempting to make her comeback!” Twilight could distinctly hear Bell, even though she had already tuned out all noise except for hers and Starlight’s. “Will she manage it?”

Time to go all out now. Twilight stomped onto the ground, calling on her Earth Pony magic to send tremors through the nearby ground, and sending Starlight into a stumble. Dissolving her shield to conserve mana, Twilight flapped her wings to gain altitude for the high ground.

“Enough games,” Twilight stated plainly. “This ends here.”

“How about...no!” Starlight replied, firing a spell at Twilight. Twilight simply deflected it away using a quick slice of her horn.

“You fail to understand,” Twilight explained, shaking her head. “You’re right where I want you.”

Starlight blinked. “...what?” There was a rumble from the ground as Twilight smirked.

“You forgot your own advice!” Twilight grinned as a claw made of conjured stone and dirt swallowed Starlight up, before starting to crush Starlight. The stone claw stopped short of its objective however, as it was simply able to penetrate Starlight’s shield. Twilight lit her horn, applying more pressure onto the weakening shield. “Just say you submit, and this’ll be all over,” she offered.

“Never!” Starlight grunted from inside her shield. “I’m...not...a...quitter!”

Twilight sighed. “I already won, Starlight. Just give up, you can’t escape.”

“And Sparkle presents her endgame ultimatum to her challenger!” Bell shouted to the crowd as it cheered for Twilight. “Will it work? Let’s find out!”

“I can’t escape,” Starlight said resolutely. “But I can do this!” Twilight’s eyes widened as Starlight’s shield exploded, blasting the stone claw to bits and pieces. The stone sharpnel were thrown everywhere throughout the arena, and Twilight narrowly avoided getting hit by a rather large piece by swiftly banking aside.

“Time to show you I have a chance!” Starlight shouted, as a spell began building on the tip of her horn while a shield was erected around her. “Eat...this!”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. An all-out attack? She shrugged as a shield popped into existence in front of her, causing the blast to slam into it, the roar of the spell deafening. After a few seconds, the barrage stopped. Dropping her shield, Twilight trotted forward and looked down at Starlight, the latter completely drained from her final attack. “That’s all you got?”

Starlight looked up, mystified. “What?” she breathed, scrambling back. “How?!”

“Larger mana well,” Twilight explained. “And it’s my turn.” She fired a stun bolt, and without enough mana, Starlight could do nothing as it slammed straight into her chest, knocking her unconscious and throwing her backwards.

“And the Sneaky Sparkle wins this one!” Bell roared to the crowd. “And boy, was that a close one!”

Yes, Twilight silently agreed as she gently scooped up the unconscious Starlight in her magic. It indeed was a close one.