• Published 12th Jul 2020
  • 16,648 Views, 1,095 Comments

The Alicorn Warrior - iAmSiNnEr



Twilight Sparkle was banished from Equestria a long time ago. Now when the rest of the Mane 6 finds her, they find that she has changed.

  • ...
77
 1,095
 16,648

Act I - Chapter 10 - Trickery

The Alicorn Warrior

Written by iAmSiNnEr

Helped by Xrevias

Chapter 10- Trickery


Twilight smirked as the mercenaries’ shield went up, defending her ‘attacks’.


The shadow clones were in fact illusions, and Twilight was using them to buy herself some time to think. After all, even though she was an alicorn, that much mana wasted would drain almost three-quarters of her reserve, which was not a consequence she wanted to pay.


She did have a plan in mind, though. They were standing on earth. Earth and dirt could be magically manipulated without wasting too much mana, and she was counting on that to be able to take down the mercenaries without killing them. Keeping them alive was crucial; she needed them for her plan.

Her horn lit, and she cast her spell. “Lesson one!” she yelled as her spell activated. “I may not be able to brute force it, but you’re fighting the alicorn that took lessons from Princess Celestia!”

The earth beneath the mercenaries shifted, and the dirt morphed to water, which the ponies fell into, dropping their staff. Immediately, the shield collapsed, and Twilight smirked as her aura wrapped around their staff and brought it to her as the mercenaries floundered in the water.

“You cheater!” a mare named Arshelle shouted as she clambered out of the newly created water pit, coughing. “That’s not fair!”

“Is anything ever fair in war and battle?” Twilight countered. “Besides, you’ll want to listen to the deal I have for you.”

Arshelle raised an eyebrow. “What kind of deal?” Her expression was intrigued, interested to hear what Twilight had planned for her group.

“I will be leaving for an undefined amount of time,” Twilight informed her. “And I do not feel safe about leaving the arena undefended from a griffon organization that wants this place back. If you agree, I have stores of gold in a vault, which would be enough to satisfy your wants and needs comfortably for more than four years.”

“What are you asking?” Arshelle demanded.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I’m asking you to accept my gold and protect the arena from the griffons. Can you do that?”

“How much gold are we talking about?” Arshelle asked suspiciously. Twilight smirked at her words and lit her horn.

An image of her vault showed itself to the group of mercenaries, and their eyes widened in greed. “Satisfied?” Twilight asked, grinning inside.

“But what happens when the gold runs out?” one of the other unicorns asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I run a literal money-making business. I’m sure Hard Line would be able to indefinitely pay you to protect the arena.”

“That I agree,” Hard Line concurred as he trotted up to address the group. “The only problem is, are you to be trusted?”

Arshelle glanced at Hard Line. “If you pay us and satisfy our wants, we’re trustworthy enough,” she promised. “As long as you don’t go back on any payments, I think it would work. Besides, the griffons are only paying us a very small fraction of what this job could bring us.”

“Of course-” Twilight paused as a commotion was heard at the gates. “What’s happening over there-”

“Stop right there, Sparkle!” a voice she recognized yelled from the gates. Twilight turned, and her eyes widened at what she saw.

Thirty griffons had surrounded her friends, holding them at sword or crossbow point.

Rarity waved nervously. “Hello, darling! This is quite the pickle, isn’t it?”

“How did you figure out that they were my friends?” Twilight demanded.

The lead griffon, Tipok, who had spoken earlier, laughed. “I’m not telling you-”

“I know, I know!” Pinkie waved. “These scary griffons were trying to attack another pony, so you know what I told them?” she made a scary face. “I said, ‘Twilight’s my friend, if you try anything she’ll come to scare you off!”

Twilight facehoofed. Still the same old Pinkie, huh?

“If you don’t surrender right now,” Tipok said flatly. “We will kill your friends. And the only kind of surrender we’re accepting is three inhibitor rings on you and you tied up. We’re not taking any chances.”

Twilight growled. “You dare-?”

“Yes, Sparkle,” Tipok interrupted. “We dare. Argon wants this place back, and this time we can’t return as failures, or else he’ll kill us. Now, you will either surrender, or your friends will DIE.” Another griffon pressed a blade deeper into Fluttershy’s neck, and Fluttershy whimpered.

Twilight materialized an axe. “How about I kill you instead?”

“K-kill?” Spike stammered. “What?”

Twilight brandished her axe. “This will not go down good for you,” she warned. “Touch any of my friends, and you won’t even get a shred of mercy.”

“I think we’ll take our chances,” Tipok said grimly. “We hold the ones you hold dearest to. Come closer to us with that axe, and they die.”

“You kill them, you lose all your leverage,” Twilight reminded Tipok. “And then there’ll be nothing to stop me from killing all of you and razing your organization to the ground.”

“Well then,” Tipok grinned. “A simple solution. We kill one to prove our point. Etsy, kill the yellow one.”

Fluttershy whimpered, trying to fly away, but Etsy pulled her down and began pressing a blade deeper into her neck.

“No!” Rainbow cried out. “Twilight, do as they say! Fluttershy cannot-”

All hell broke loose as the ground erupted from under the griffons, as tendrils of magic wrapped around the bird-like creatures. The griffons squawked as they lost their grips on their weapons, dropping them on the ground.

Twilight smirked, her horn lit in an iridescent lavender. “Lesson two! Don’t keep on talking, your opponent could be doing something while that happens!”

The griffons flailed in the air, the tendrils wrapping around them again and again, making it so none of them could move an inch.

“W-wha-?” Rainbow gawped at the sight.

“You threatened my friends!” Twilight yelled as she flapped her wings and flew up so that she could be at eye level with Tipok. “Nobody, no creature, no pony is EVER allowed to threaten my friends!”

“Tw-twahlight?” Applejack called out. “They’ve learnt their lesson. Maybe just turn them over to the authorities or something?”

“There are no authorities,” Hard Line said smoothly. “The Badlands run on a system where we settle everything ourselves. So Sparkle has two options. Either kill them or leave it to the town ponies to decide their fate. Honestly, killing them would be the better option here.”

“B-but-” Spike glanced between the squirming griffons held by the tendrils and Twilight. “Isn’t there another way?”

“They almost went through with killing Fluttershy, Spike,” Twilight’s eyes were hard. “And that is something I will not just forgive and forget.”

“What’s the matter?” Tipok jeered. “Dragons get softer after the years- ack!” the tendrils tightened around him, cutting off his air supply.

“You do not get to say anything useless,” Twilight growled. “Anything else that is useless that comes out of that mouth of yours will result in your death. And I mean it.”

Tipok laughed. “Do I look like I care-” the tendrils tightened again, choking the griffon.

“Alright, that’s it-” Twilight began.

“Twilight,” Starlight said seriously. “Don’t do this. You’re not the Twilight we knew in Equestria. Where is the Twilight who gave ponies second chances? Where’s the Princess of Friendship?”

Twilight paused. “I am no longer a princess,” she said slowly. “That ship has long sailed, Starlight. But… second chances. You do make a point.”

Starlight beamed. “See? I knew you weren’t completely gone-”

The tendrils crushed Tipok, killing him instantly. “A creature like him doesn’t deserve a second chance.” Twilight declared. “Willing to threaten innocents just to get his way?”

“W-what?” Starlight breathed as she backed up. “B-but-”

Twilight’s gaze hardened. “I’ve spent four long years here, Starlight. If there’s one thing this place has taught me, is that if you ever let go of your enemies because of mercy, they always come back for more.” she gestured at the dead bodies around them. “Most of these griffons I gave a chance. I refrained from killing them. But what do they do? They come back and threaten the townponies. They threaten my friends.”

“Twi?” Rainbow whispered. “Look at Flutters in the eyes.”

Twilight turned to look Fluttershy in the eyes. “Wha-?” she paused.

Fluttershy’s eyes were scared, fearful. It took Twilight a moment before her chest tightened as she realised that it was not the griffons that Fluttershy was scared of, but of her. She glanced at herself.

I must sound and look scary right now, Twilight realised. I’ve changed, haven’t I? The Badlands have changed me. I’m no longer the mare I once was, no matter how much I try to lie to myself.

“Don’t kill them, Twilight, darling,” Rarity said, before glancing at the limp body of Tipok and correcting herself. “Don’t kill anymore, darling. Come back to us. Show us that you are not a cold-blooded killer who kills just because they can.”

Twilight’s gaze softened. “Fine. For you girls.”

“Yippee!” Pinkie cried out and jumped in the air. “Let’s have a ‘Twilight’s Not KIlling Anyone Party!’”

Twilight chuckled. You never change, Pinkie.

“But the question arises,” Hard Line called out. “What should we do with all these griffons? We can’t just let them go without some kind of deterrent.”

“Uhhh…” Rainbow shrugged.

Arshelle stepped forward. “If I may?” she asked.

Twilight tilted her head. “Hm?”

“I have a suggestion, if you please. We of the Dark Order have a few contacts in the Trikon Town,” Arshelle continued. “As you know, Trikon Town is the most secure place to keep the ones you’ve defeated locked away for a very long time.”

“Trikon Town….” Twilight pondered the name. “I remember that place. I visited it a few years back to deposit Quick Leash after I heard of it. I suppose we could try it.”

Hard Line tilted his head. “Indeed, Trikon Town would be a good place to store these miscreants. Only one out of a thousand inmates ever escape, and that’s a very high estimate. Why didn’t I think of it before?”

“Uhhh…” Rainbow was glancing from Twilight to Arshelle to Hard Line. “Care to explain what’s Trikon Town?”

Twilight inclined her head. “Of course. Trikon Town is run by Trikon, hence the name. The entire town is a prison, where you can store your prisoners for a sum of money. The money goes to making sure the prisoners don’t escape, their food, and their lodging.”

“And Trikon’s wardens are extremely good at their jobs,” Hard Line added. “I have yet to hear of an escape during the time I’ve been around, although I hear there was maybe one a long time ago.”

“So...you’re gonna put them in some kind of prison?” Spike asked.

Twilight nodded. “I believe so, yes. It would be the only alternative to a public lynching or death by my hooves.”

“Public lynching-” Starlight shook her head. “Forget it, I don’t want to know.”

Twilight nodded gravely. “You definitely do not want to know.”

Twilight cast another spell, and the tendrils lowered the griffons to the ground, but still stayed firmly around them, making sure they didn’t escape.

“I will arrange for the transport,” Hard Line offered. “And then we’ll find the Dark Order’s contacts so we can arrange for their imprisonment.”

Twilight nodded. “Could I have some privacy to talk to my friends?” she requested.

Hard Line nodded. “Of course.” he started ushering the Dark Order to the arena’s private rooms.

“Girls…” Twilight began.

“Twahlight….” Applejack said softly. “Why have you changed so much? The sweet gal I knew wouldn’t hurt anypony.”

Twilight sighed. “Applejack, I’m sorry. But this place, the Badlands,” she gestured around them. “It’s dangerous. If I hadn’t killed when I needed to, I would have been dead. I’m not comfortable with killing, but sometimes it’s necessary.”

“It’s not,” Rainbow immediately replied. “The Wonderbolts used to be a military unit. Spitfire told me before of the stories that the war veterans passed down. Killing changed them. They had this look in their eyes, this killer look. From then on, the Wonderbolts never served as military again.”

Twilight gazed into the distance. “Ah. Princess Celestia never told me this before.”

Fluttershy wrung her hooves nervously. “Twilight… could you promise us that you will never kill again?”

“You know I can’t,” She whispered. “Sometimes it really is needed.”

“At least promise not to kill unless you really have no choice,” Starlight said. “You saw how you scared Fluttershy.”

Twilight sighed. “I can do that. I’m sorry, everypony, for changing so much.”

Pinkie bounded up to her and hugged her. “Don’t worry, silly! We’ll always be your friends!”

“Always,” Rarity agreed. “We’ll be there to pull you back whenever you fall from the path of Harmony together.”

Twilight beamed. “Oh, come here!” She lit her horn, and she dragged everypony into a hug. “I love you girls,” she whispered.

“What about me?” Spike grumbled by the side. Twilight laughed before releasing the rest and sweeping Spike into a hug. “I’ve missed you, my number one assistant. I promise you, we’ll go home, and we’ll be properly together again.”

Rainbow smiled. “Promise?”

“Promise,” Twilight confirmed. The group huddled together as they watched the sun rise into the sky, and for once in a very long time in Twilight’s life, she felt content.

“We’ll be leaving for Equestria after preparations,” Twilight decided. “I miss my family.”

Rarity smiled. “They miss you too, darling.”

Twilight grinned. “To us, and to our friendship!’ she cried out.

“To our friendship!” the rest of them chorused, shouting out loud. “And may it last forever!”

Author's Note:

I'm sorry for late update :(