• Published 24th May 2020
  • 1,035 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Dash's First Trial: Clone Wars Year 1 - Hikarikurai24587



Rainbow Dash's time in the Galactic Republic. During the time of the Clone Wars.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,035

Meeting the Recruits

Chapter Twenty Six: Meeting the Recruits

When Rainbow Dash got to her apartment she knew something was up. Obi-Wan and Anakin were talking over the communicator and the window was new. But she grinned when she saw Tank and Crossbones there.

“Well at least some of you are here.” Rainbow Dash said as her fellow recruits looked around, Xestu looked unhappy. ‘Well that isn’t too unusual.’ Rainbow Dash told herself mentally.

“So, care to explain?” Rainbow Dash asked as she unfurled her wings letting them rest against her back. Anakin chuckled saying. “Is this everyone?”

“Yup, we all met up for lunch.” Rainbow spoke before gesturing to the window with her wing. “What happened to the window?”

“It got broken.” Anakin told her and Rainbow Dash cocked an eyebrow. “I’ll tell you later. First thing’s first.”

Anakin’s eyes flickered over to the recruits who all saluted him. Crossbones eyed them carefully, as they stood at attention.

“I’ve already discussed this with both the Supreme Chancellor and Colonel Pir. All that is left is smoothing out the finer details.” Anakin addressed them as he paced back and forth. “I have gotten permission to bring any one of you on a mission. Right now I am hoping to start you off in a position of an observer, helping out with the daily functions of the ships.”

“You will still have to be prepared for any encounter and any mission you go on will require the presence of at least one Jedi Master.” Obi-Wan told them as the recruits glanced at each other. “Be prepared to be treated as any normal member of the crew. You will not be given any form of special treatment. Is that clear?”

“Sir, yes sir!” the recruits said at the same time, Anakin grinned saying. “Alright, now that you’ve got that in your heads time for introductions. I’m sure you all know who we are.”

“General Anakin Skywalker and General Obi-Wan Kenobi.” Dallia spoke up and Obi-Wan glanced at her. “Trust me, you’re quite famous for things blowing up.”

“What’s your name recruit?” inquired Anakin and Dallia saluted saying. “Dallia Koj, from Alderaan sir.”

“Alderaan? We normally don’t get recruits from there. They would prefer being a part of the Diplomacy Core.” Obi-Wan said in surprise as he stroked his beard.

“Yeup, that’s what my parents wanted too. Not me, I just wanted to help in a way only I could.” Dallia replied looking at him straight in the eyes. “I’m good at talking but I also prefer working on ships and the Republic Navy needs all the Engineers it can get.”

“She has a point.” Obi-Wan spoke and Anakin grinned, a large Rattataki male placing a hand on Dallia’s shoulder as she tried to continue speaking. She glanced at him before smiling and waving her hand.

“Sir? Can we continue the introductions?” the male Rattataki asked, his voice deep and rough but it caught their attention though he spoke softly. “I am Recruit Garuu Drurne, part of the Diplomatic Core.”

“A Diplomat? I hear there aren’t many willing to serve in the Diplomatic Core as many planets are satisfied with which side they have chosen and leave the talking to Senators.” Anakin mused and Garuu looked away saying. “I follow the path of my family, to solve conflicts through words and raise our fist only when the lives of others are in danger.”

“An honorable aspiration.” Obi-Wan commented and Garuu bowed his head in respect. “A lesson that some do not always learn.”

The purple skin Twi’lek shifted, Rainbow Dash remembered that she was the one who fired at the pirates. Obi-Wan glanced at her asking. “And who might you be my dear?”

“Eture’axee, General, finished basic training but now is in the SBI for the time being.” the Twi’lek answered, saluting him huffing a bit. “Apparently I’m too trigger happy so they put me behind a desk.”

“Too trigger happy?” this seemed to surprise Anakin, one wouldn’t put someone like that in the SBI unless they had a very good reason.

“I shot at the pirates.” Etura’axee admitted shuffling her feet as she looked at the ground. “Which caused Colonel Pir to get wounded protecting me. I think they’re trying to teach me patience and to think before I act.”

“Well you can’t learn that behind a desk.” Anakin told her, earning a grin from Etura who nodded her head. Obi-Wan spoke as he shook his head. “Don’t worry, you’ll be learning that lesson rather quickly with me. Anakin might not be the best influence for you.”

“Hey, I think.” retorted Anakin turning his head for a moment to look at Obi-Wan. “And my plans do work.”

“I never said they didn’t, you just rush into situations while forming your plan.” Rainbow Dash could tell that they would be getting into another one of their bickering sessions. She may have been used to it but the others weren’t. Donnel spoke up nervously. “Sirs? Should we continue or should we just leave the two of you alone?”

“It seems like you just volunteered to introduce yourself.” Obi-Wan said, giving him a smile and Donnel sighed. “I’m Donnel Teth, Engineering and Ship Maintenance… sir.”

He gave a quick salute again before looking off to the side shuffling in embarrassment. There was a few seconds of awkward silence before a Nautolan female spoke up. “Hiya! My name is Lassyl Tess. I’m currently working in Planetary Aid and Relief Support.”

“That is a new program, to deliver supplies behind enemy lines without being discovered.” Obi-Wan said looking at her and Lassyl grinned. “Pretty much, we have to be careful to keep our members’ identities secret. I trust everyone here though.”

The smile on her face grew even wider as she bounced on the balls of her feet. She elbowed the person next to her who rolled his eyes saying. “My name is Paz Vik, I work with Lassyl in Planetary Aid and Relief Support. Yeah, I’m a Weequay let the pirate and bounty hunter comments commence.”

“I do not care what species you are just as long as you are serving the Republic faithfully.” Anakin told him and Paz nodded his head saying. “Don’t worry sir, I don’t plan on betraying the Republic.”

“That is very good to hear.” Obi-Wan chuckled, Shae decided to introduce herself next. “My name is Shae Lyrua formerly of Mandalore. I am part of the Medical Core.”

This seemed to catch Obi-Wan’s attention but he managed to compose himself saying. “You are not a part of Mandalore anymore?”

“No, they made it clear that either I stay neutral or revoke my citizenship and join the Republic so no one can make the case that Mandalore had chosen a side.” Shae admitted but kept her gaze firm. “I made my choice and I do not regret it.”

Rainbow Dash glanced at Obi-Wan who had gone silent in thought. Anakin looked at the other recruits asking. “Who’s next?”

“Jovcar Stulus, sir!” a young human male saluted keeping his back straight. “Medical Core.”

“You don’t have to be that formal here. We’re just getting to know all of you guys.” Anakin told him making a motion with his hands to calm Jovcar down. Jovcar chuckled and rubbed the back of his head as he relaxed his posture. He nudged another human male in the side who gave him an irritated glare before saying. “Joadan Aidsha, Analytics. Slicing and Data Retrieval.”

Anakin nodded his head waiting for anything else. When Joadan didn’t speak he decided to move on pointing at a Miraluka saying. “You. Wait… you’re a Miraluka right?”

“My job does not require sight, I am Eiwsail part of the SBI. I listen to communications from those suspected of collaboration with the Separatists.” the Miraluka said with a bow, Anakin and Obi-Wan returned the gesture politely and Eiwsail stood straight returning to her previous position. A Cathar female looked around before saying. “Syvari Tu, Planetary Aid and Relief Support. Would you be coming with us on missions sir?”

“Not really, our faces are known to a lot of the Separatists.” chuckled Anakin giving a look of familiarity to Obi-Wan who shook his head. He had a smile grace his lips before he hid it. A male blue skinned Twi’lek was nudged forward by Verga. He stood silently for a moment before saying. “Zawacope. Diplomatic Core sir, I want to do all I can for both my people and the Republic.”

“I hope that those do not conflict with each other.” Obi-Wan told Zawacope who nodded his head and returned to being silent. Verga gave him a sympathetic smile before saying. “Verga, sir, part of Analytics as well. Heard you had to put up with my cousin for a bit.”

“Honestly I have a hard time figuring out that you’re related.” commented Anakin, referring to the differences in personality. Xestu merely frowned before looking away. Verga laughed saying. “A lot of people do, Xestu does have the temper of a Manka and I’m apparently rather chill.”

“You are.” a female Togruta said rather pointedly before shaking her head. “Apologies sir, I am Irsha Nardala, Weapons Development. We try to produce high quality armor and weapons with minimal cost so even the cheapest shit can hold together than the battle droids. Kord! Your turn.”

“I’m Kord Ferrila, I was assigned to security.” Kord said, keeping his head high and staying at attention. Rainbow Dash knew that this was normal for him though she was surprised at the fact that he wanted to be a part of the Diplomatic Core. A male Mirialan took a step forward saying. “Jelu Seer sir, Diplomatic Core, I hear you are quite an accomplished diplomat. I would love some advice.”

“Perhaps over some tea.” Obi-Wan offered and Jelu bounced excitedly in place as a Kel Dor stepped forward bowing and speaking politely. “Yim Drela, sirs, I am part of the Diplomatic Core as well. I prefer finding a peaceful solution to problems and am fluent in many languages. I hope to gain much experience.”

Anakin nodded his head and Rainbow Dash was about to make some refreshments for everyone. She was sneaking away when Lexxi walked forward saluting saying. “Lexxi Jorgan, sir, I was assigned to security.”

“Are you happy where you are?” Anakin asked, having the feeling that many of the recruits were assigned to places where they really didn’t want to be. Lexxi tilted her head to the side before shaking it, answering. “Yes sir, I have no issues about my assignment. I will do what I must for the Republic.”

“It will do you some good to get some experience off of Coruscant.” Anakin told her, Lexxi was taken aback as a flash of excitement in her eyes. She hid a smile as Jysh walked forward and saluted saying. “Sein Jysh, I am currently on janitorial duty.”

“You are Kaleesh.” Obi-Wan commented, Jysh nodded his head glancing away. “You are taking a big risk.”

“I did not agree with my people’s decision to remain with the Separatists. I came here to show that.” explained Jysh looking at the two Jedi. “I apologize if my appearance with this group disturbs you.”

A hand touched his shoulder before Kory walked forward a smile on her face. “It is alright Sein, we have accepted you. I am Kory Zavros, part of the Medical Division. It will be an honor to serve alongside the Jedi.”

“The honor is ours my dear.” Kory nodded her head as she stepped back, still bowing. Her eyes flickering to the lightsabers on the belts. A Rodian stepped forward giving them a salute. “Thea Jcirre, part of Ship Maintenance and Engineering. I am hoping to see many more of the vessels then just shuttles very soon.”

Obi-Wan stroked his beard as Anakin nodded his head saying. “Well, work with the shuttles for now, it will give you a better idea on how to survive in them if you get stranded in one.”

“Oh that has already happened multiple times when I was young. I grew up on many different ships.” Thea retorted tilting her head to the side. “You have a point though, Republic Shuttles are more refined than second hand shuttles.”

She took a step back before looking at Kimble saying. “Sparky you have not taken any chance to speak.”

“It’s Kimble, Thea, you should know this.” retorted Kimble before shaking his head and saluting. “Alexander Kimble, assigned to… maintenance.”

Rainbow Dash poked her head back into the room and stared at him in shock. She was expecting something else, anything else. Kimble was a talented leader and did manage to keep a cool head in difficult situations. ‘Maybe Anakin’s plan is a good thing.’ she thought before ducking out again. Kory gave Kimble a warm smile as he moved back into line eyes fixed on the ground. His jaw was clenched as a human male with dark hair walked forward saying. “Jenth Strir, Diplomatic Core, sirs.”

“Your accent, you are from Naboo, correct?” Obi-Wan observed and Jenth nodded his head saying. “Yes, I can’t leave all the Diplomacy up to Senator Amidala. I hear the situations she can get into are dangerous on the best days.”

“Not all the time.” Anakin interjected and Jenth glanced at him with an eyebrow raised before returning it to Obi-Wan. “Just some of the time.”

“Yes, Senator Amidala does have a tendency to want to get things done herself.” chuckled Obi-Wan shaking his head in amusement. His eyes focused on Rhan as he tilted his head back as he asked. “What about you?”

“Ivama Rhan, sir.” answered Rhan keeping his back straight. Anakin looked up at him asking. “What’s up with the mask?”

“My appearance has a tendency to make people….” Ivama paused to think of the right word before continuing. “Uncomfortable.”

“We can handle it.” Obi-Wan assured him, Ivama shifted before reaching up and taking off the mask revealing red skin and red eyes. He shifted uncomfortably as everyone stared at him. Obi-Wan was the first to speak up. “I am not aware of your species.”

“The name of my species was stolen and twisted.” explained Ivama moving to put the mask back on. “If my appearance makes you uncomfortable then the name will cause you to hate me.”

“It is only a name.” Anakin pointed out, Ivama glanced away as confusion washed over Obi-Wan’s face. Ivama nodded his head as the helmet clicked in his place saying. “A name that has been dragged through the mud. Most would see me as evil while others would be interested in discovering the secrets of my species.”

“Don’t worry Ivama, we will work towards earning that honor.” Kory told him both of them sharing a quick knowing look. A Sullusten cleared his throat before saying. “We should probably continue before Rainbow Dash is finished making the refreshments. I am Trek Tondenr, Ship Maintenance, though I do wish to join the Planetary Aid and Relief Support. It would be a chance to actually fly.”

“You’re a pilot?” Anakin asked and Trek nodded his head excitedly. “We might have to race later.”

“Anakin, no.” Obi-Wan spoke, raising his eyebrows before shaking his head. “I don’t want anyone crashing.”

“We’ll be careful.” Anakin argued as another recruit walked forward introducing himself. “Guess I’m next, I’m Jazail Nealros, SBI. Due to an accident when I was young my left arm is now cybernetic as well as a few cybernetic upgrades to improve brain function. I hope I can be of use to all of you in the future.”

“Thank you for letting us know.” said Obi-Wan, breaking away from the conversation he was having with Anakin. Jazail smiled before she stepped back rubbing her left arm. Another human stepped forward, female, but she had a swagger. She grinned before introducing herself. “Caece Zima, I’m from Corelia, and work in Ship Maintenance. Pleasure to be working with Jedi.”

“Corelia, huh? I’m pretty sure you know all the ship schematics by heart.” Anakin jokes and Caece laughed saying. “Yeah, if they actually allow me to work on anything that isn’t an escape pod, at least Thea has shuttles.”

“Trust me, I was surprised as well.” Thea told her and Caece shook her head. “We apologize, Master Jedi, we just find it irritating. Even if we love where we are assigned our jobs leaves us wanting.”

“We both understand that feeling.” Obi-Wan assured them as a human male with dyed white hair and blue eyes spoke up. “Sorry to interrupt, there’s only two of us left. Solomar Kitcul, Engineering, I like a good strong drink.”

“Koz Si, a Selonian from Corelia.” the last recruit spoke and Caece smiled. “I came with Caece after my den was murdered and I did not wish to continue my life as a Breeder. I work in the Engineer Division.”

“Are you done?” Rainbow Dash’s voice called out before she walked out of the living quarters. “Snacks are on the new table. Sweet design by the way, looks handcrafted.”

Obi-Wan and Anakin shared a glance at the recruits filed in. Crossbones had already struck up a conversation with Ivama. Once closer Obi-Wan noticed the surface of the table had the image of what to be a temple of sorts. While along the side there were mountain ranges and what to be an old village. He stroked his chin in thought before pulling Anakin off to the side. “I do believe our Caretaker friend really was just delivering a gift, but I think there is more to it then we first suspected. Try to get as many images of it as possible.”

“Understood.” Anakin replied before grabbing a drink. “Anything else you want to let me know?”

“I do believe we judged her too quickly, it is possible that this is a harmless gift. If we see her again, try not to be on the offensive.” Obi-Wan told him and Anakin glanced at him. “I believe we scared her.”

Anakin took a bit before saying. “Understood, master.”