• Published 24th May 2020
  • 1,035 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Dash's First Trial: Clone Wars Year 1 - Hikarikurai24587



Rainbow Dash's time in the Galactic Republic. During the time of the Clone Wars.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,035

Inner Mandalorian

Chapter Thirty Eight: Inner Mandalorian

Shae shifted her duffle, still in disbelief that she was going on the mission. She had thought for sure that the council would have shot down the crazy plan. What she had thought was that they would take it slow, a few non critical missions to get them used to it. She slipped her headphones over her ears as she played some Mandalorian music as she looked around for Skywalker. She glanced around at the clones keeping her expression neutral. She didn’t know why Rainbow Dash was fond of them, but she respected them for what they did.

Captain Rex happened to be walking by Shae when he took notice of her. He gave her a salute and said. "You know, Rainbow Dash has spoken well of you."

Shae saluted back as she took off her headphones glad to have had the volume down low. She shrugged her shoulders saying. “Apparently well enough, I’m here aren’t I? Have you seen General Skywalker? I’m supposed to report in.”

"Ah, he's on the bridge with the Admiral. Would you like me to escort you?" Rex asked as he took off his helmet. Shae thought about it before nodding her head. “Sure, keeps me out of trouble.”

"Alright just follow me. Oh uh, I know that you are a medic but it's just as important, and regulation, to have your blaster with you in the field." Rex instructed as he motioned for Shae to follow him. Shae frowned for a moment before moving quickly to catch up. “Aren’t I just going to be on the ship?”

"Yes but the ship is considered just as much the field. You never know what could happen, the Seps could attack us at any moment." Rex explained. Shae let out a frustrated sigh before opening up her duffle. Her hand paused before she reached inside and pulled out the blaster pistol she had with her. She holstered it saying. “There. I swear if the Duchess hears about this, she’s never going to let me live it down.”

The two of them reached the bridge where Anakin and Admiral Yularen were talking. "Pardon the interruption sirs, but Shae here is to meet with General Skywalker." Rex said with a salute. Shae saluted as well, seeing Ahsoka standing there. She glanced off to the side as Anakin said. “Thank you Rex. Shae, this is Admiral Wullf Yularen. Admiral Yularen, this is Shae Lyrua, she’s the one who managed to notice the disguised bounty hunter.”

“Sir.” Shae nodded her head towards Yularen keeping herself at attention.

"General Skywalker has spoken very highly of you. I look forward to seeing you." Admiral Yularen said with a serious yet welcoming expression. Shae looked at Anakin who chuckled saying. “I didn’t say anything that wasn’t undeserved. Colonel Pir has also written recommendations and he has mentioned how being out in the field would help with keeping focused.”

“He mentioned me attacking one of the Weequay pirates while he was injured, didn’t he?” inquired Shae and Anakin thought for a moment saying. “He might have mentioned that, don’t worry you’ll do fine.” Rex gave another salute to Shae as he took his leave.

"Master Anakin actually suggested you help out with us capturing Cad Bane." Ahsoka said, folding her arms. Shae gave a small eye roll saying. “Yeah, I know, don’t see how much of a help I can be though. I’m a medic, I’m either going to be over here getting ready to receive incoming wounded or I’m over there treating said wounded and being in the middle of a firefight.”

"From what the youngling Mina told me I beg to differ. For a medic you have some serious skills." Ahsoka said with a smile. Shae looked almost ashamed at that mumbling. “I know. It has concerned the Duchess on more than one occasion.”

"It's probably not my business to say but, don't you want to just carve your own path? Despite what the Duchess thinks?" Ahsoka asked curiously. Shae looked at Ahsoka before looking at Yularen saying. “Mandalorians… we are warriors but after countless years of fighting and the Civil War. We devastated our planet to the point where we live inside a dome. I had to give up my citizenship of Mandalore to help the Republic by healing the wounded… but the Duchess fears that I will become a warrior. I just want to help.”

Yularen looked at Shae and said. "While I admire your dedication I have to ask of you to not hesitate to do what's necessary if the situation demands it."

“I will.” Shae said, nodding her head and Anakin patted her on the shoulder. “I’m sure you’ll do fine. Best get ready, we’ll be jumping to hyperspace soon.”

Shae looked around not sure if she should be on the bridge or finding her way to the medbay. Ahsoka walked up to her and asked. “Wanna walk around the ship?”

“Sure, not like I have anything better to do.” Shae told her with a shrug of her shoulders before heading off of the bridge. “You know, I’m kind of surprised Kory wasn’t selected for this mission.”

“Why do you say that? Anakin wanted you.” Ahsoka asked. Shae rubbed her arm saying. “She’s more level headed. She always knows what to do and how to follow orders and she can get along better with you guys. Jedi, I mean. I always get sarcastic and let my mouth get away from me. Fight superiors and orders, I mean I learned protocol and rules just to know how to get around them.”

“I don’t think you give yourself enough credit. Clearly your actions show otherwise!” Ahsoka shouted with a smile. Shae gave her a gentle friendly punch to the shoulder saying. “Thanks, I just do well in simulations. My fight or flight instincts have a tendency to lean towards the fight option. Guess that’s not too dissimilar to Rainbow Dash though.”

“Well that’s good! I heard about what happened with Mina and Cad Bane too, you really showed what you’re capable of.” Ahsoka said, giving her a friendly punch to the shoulder back. Shae rubbed the back of her head saying. “Guess so. So what is it that Jedi do in their off time waiting to arrive at a battlefield?”

“Not a lot...Anakin and I are almost always on a mission with the war going so we just wait and talk.” Ahsoka sighed as she continued. “Sleep.”

“That probably comes after all the fighting. My mother said that my ancestors before battle would drink ne’tra gal and tihaar. Mandalorian black ale, our family’s recipe goes for a little more spicy than sweet and a colorless spirit distilled from fruits. They would sing war chants as well.” Shae spoke as she thought back before shaking her head.

“I think I would get in trouble if I drank, well despite the fact that I’m not old enough.” Ahsoka muttered. Shae patted her on the back saying. “I’m not old enough either, I wonder if there are any herbs or spices laying around for shig. I mean I carry some behot around and it would be fun.”

"Jedi Ahsoka Tano and Medic Shae Vizla, the two of you are to report back to the bridge at once. We are about to jump out of hyperspace." A voice boomed over the intercom.

"Well that was fast. So much for any downtime." Ahsoka muttered sadly. "Let's go Shae."

“Hey, we can have some shig later.” Shae assured her as she made her way back to the bridge patting Ahsoka on the shoulder.

"Alright!" Ahsoka cheered as she followed Shae. Shae made it back to the bridge just as they exited hyperspace. Her eyes widened seeing the Separatist ships in front of them as the battle began.

Ahsoka looked at Shae as she said. "Don't worry we'll be fine, especially with you around."

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” Shae shot Ahsoka a grin as Anakin said. “Opportunities like this don’t normally fall in your lap.”

"General Skywalker I realize the praise you have given young Shae however she still lacks experience! I do not believe she should go to the ship." Yularen protested. Anakin looked at Yularen saying. “We’ll keep her safe, also it would give her good experience watching the Clones in the field and be able to treat them on the spot. It’s not like I’m sending her after Cad Bane.”

One of Yularen's eyebrows shifted upwards in disbelief. Anakin looked at him asking. “What? I’m not! She’s just there to help out and to notice if something is up.” Yularen just shook his head and walked further to the front of the bridge. Shae paused before walking towards Admiral Yularen saying. “Permission to say something sir?”

“Permission granted but be swift, we’re in a battle here.” Yularen said seriously but not without meaning. Shae took a deep breath. “I may doubt General Skywalker’s faith in my abilities, but he has a point. How am I going to learn to be a combat medic if I don’t see combat? It’s the same with why I left Mandalore. How am I going to help people if I don’t take the steps to help them and stay on Mandalore? I’m not one to be inactive and I’m also going to try to remain alive. Living is kind of important to me.”

“There are other ways to learn than heading into one of your first missions that could prove more dangerous than most. I am only being cautious. Now report to General Skywalker and follow his lead.” Yularen ordered as he turned back to face the front window of the bridge. Shae saluted him before heading to Anakin who was talking about ways to get on the ship Cad Bane was on.


She did not know whether to praise Anakin’s ingenuity or curse it. She hadn’t expected for him to use the walkers as a transport and she did not like the pressure suits. She would have preferred the Mandalorian armor she was restoring. Anakin glanced back at her, giving her a big grin as he told her. “I would say keep calm and everything would be fine, but I won’t. Just don’t panic and do what you do best.”

“Thanks.” Shae replied as they headed towards the outside access shaft making sure to keep out of the line of fire. Ahsoka patted Shae on the shoulder saying. “We’ll be fine.”

“Well, I’m in charge of keeping you guys fine.” Shae joked as they made it inside moving towards the bridge with them. She held back a bit as she looked around before moving to catch up. When she walked into the bridge as Anakin ordered. “Rex take a squad, lock down the hanger bay and destroy the escape pods. No one gets off the ship.”

The ship decided to shake as explosions wracked it signalling something was very wrong. Meanwhile Cad Bane was devizing a plan to separate the Jedi in order to get the Holocron opened. He ordered the droids on board the ship to engage the Clones as a distraction.

Ahsoka made her way down a hallway of the ship and opened the door, on the ground was the now dead Jedi Master Ropal. “Master...I found him.” She said sadly. Shae moved forward but Anakin stopped her looking at Rex saying. “Rex, have some men take Master Ropal back to the Resolute. Shae….”

“Hey, you wanted me to have experience as a combat medic. I’m staying here, even if it’s just to patch these guys up.” Shae said jerking a thumb towards Rex and his troopers. “I’ll keep my head down.”

“Master, this ship is not going to last, maybe it’s better to have the holocron blow up with the ship. At the very least Nute Gunray won’t have it.” Ahsoka pleaded. Her head turned to Shae as she continued. “I don’t want to lose anyone if I can help it.”

“Maybe, but I’d rather return it to the library personally.” Anakin told Ahsoka as Shae patted her on the shoulder. Anakin shot her a quick look as she said. “Hey you wanted me here, you’re stuck with me.”

Ahsoka sighed but she still smiled. "Alright, let's hurry!"

Cad Bane lay in wait not far from the group's position with a group of battle droids. The door he was facing opened as they began firing at the Clones.

"Shae take cover!" Ahsoka ordered as she blocked some of the fire. She felt her feet slowly lift from the ground as Cad Bane said. "See how you handle this Jedi."

"Anti-gravity! We were trained for this men!" Rex cried out as he got into cover. He looked towards Shae as he repeated Ahsoka's order. "Take cover!"

Shae fired her grapple pulling herself towards what little cover there was. She grabbed her blaster as she pulled herself around firing at the droids with careful shots. Rex continued firing back shots at Cad Bane but lost control when R2 reverted the gravity controls, causing one of the fired shots to hit him near the shoulder as he fell to the ground next to Shae.

Cad Bane attempted to flee saying. “So long Jedi!” Ahsoka started to give chase looking back to Anakin yelling. “I got him Master!”

“Ahsoka, wait! It’s a trap!” Anakin shouted after her giving chase as well. “Ahsoka, wait! We’ll take him together!”

The door slammed shut and he began to cut his way through hearing Shae shout. “Watch where you’re shooting that thing! If you hit one of those shells we’re done for!”

“Shae, get Rex and the others onto a transport. I’ll get Ahsoka and Cad Bane!” Anakin ordered and Shae shouted. “Yes sir! Wait… You’re putting me in charge?!”

“I trust you!” Anakin told her just as one of the droids tripped over a fallen droid's head hitting the shell and causing an explosion. Shae detached herself as Anakin prevented debris from falling on top of them.

Rex turned his head to Shae as he said. “I knew I could count on you kid, now show me what you’re made of.”

Shae checked her blaster before saying. “Don’t tell the Duchess.”

She took aim and fired careful shots at the remaining droids walking forward. Using her grapple she would pull a few of them forward and decapitated them.

“You two, help Captain Rex up, the rest of you make sure no more droids ambush us. We need to get to the hanger.” Shae ordered as she went to check on Rex taking out her medkit and found sthe spray bandage. “Wound doesn’t look too bad, but I don’t want a chance of infection.”

She used the item as the two clones helped Rex to his feet. As Shae began to lead the way and found a firefight in the hanger.