• Published 24th May 2020
  • 1,037 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Dash's First Trial: Clone Wars Year 1 - Hikarikurai24587



Rainbow Dash's time in the Galactic Republic. During the time of the Clone Wars.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,037

Kamino

Chapter Twenty Two: Kamino

Rainbow Dash sat in silence, once in a while glancing up at her traveling companion. Xestu didn’t seem to seem to care about the silence, in fact his eyes were glued to the ground. His fingers were clasped together. Rainbow took note of what seemed to be sweat.

“Are you nervous?” asked Rainbow, causing Xestu to jerk as if noticing her. “You’re out of it. Did Colonel Pir explain everything to you or are you just realizing that you will not be able to get away with the crap you normally say?”

“I’m not worried. You’re here after all.” Xestu pointed out and Rainbow noticed he brushed off the question. “It’s not like we’re going to be on the battlefield.”

“How… you’re going to want the clones to have your back. Both on the battlefield and off.” Rainbow explained trying not to climb to her feet. Xestu shrugged his shoulders in response causing her to look away from him shaking her head. A sigh slipped past her lips. Xestu glanced at her as if wanting to say something.

“We’re almost there ma’am.” A voice told them over the intercom. Rainbow smiled, she had talked to him beforehand, he was a cool guy. She looked at Xestu before calling back. “Thank you!”

Xastu stood up keeping his back to Rainbow Dash and she rolled her eyes. Though there was a nagging voice in the back of her head. ‘He seems worried about something.’

Waiting until the ship set down Rainbow Dash was greeted with pouring rain the moment the door opened up. Rainbow felt her wings twitch as she hears the storm outside, her instincts telling her to remain inside of the shuttle. A Togruta female walked towards the shuttle with a strange long necked alien. Rainbow exited with Xastu behind her. They both saluted as the alien spoke. “Greetings, I am Taun We, and this is Jedi Master Shaak Ti. We have heard of the reason for your arrival.”

Shaak Ti nodded her head in greeting her eyes glancing at the two of them.

“Come, let us go inside and I will explain your duties while you are here.” Taun We told them leading them towards the building that was behind the two of them. Rainbow saw a few Clones watching them. She glanced at Xestu but his eyes were locked forward almost uncaring of the storm. When they entered the facility Rainbow’s eyes had to adjust quickly to the brightly lit white scene that was now before her. Shifting her bag over her shoulder Rainbow listened closely to their instructions. “Xestu, this is Master Chief Bric and El-les, for your stay here you will be shadowing them. Watch their efforts in training the Clones. Rainbow Dash you will be with me. I am told there is much you can learn from me. When it is time to retire you will stay in the provided accommodations.”

“Great, just what we need, a paper pushing newbie to follow us around.” grumbled Bric, Rainbow didn’t recognize the species and made a note to ask Shaak Ti later. Her head turned when she heard a low growl from Xestu. She wasn’t the only one who heard it as Bric continued. “Did I hurt your feelings? What are you going to do about it?”

Rainbow Dash winced realizing that he was taunting Xestu in the same way he’d taunt the Clones. She felt him shift and decided to try and calm the situation. Spreading her right wing blocking Xestu from view she asked. “Can we see the accommodations before this escalates?”

“Of course.” Taun We answered as El-les chastised Bric quietly. “This way.”

Rainbow Dash moved her wings so she could herd Xestu away knowing he would pull the first punch. ‘He always did in training.’ She thought as they approached the room.

“I must admit your species is rather intriguing.” Taun We spoke as Rainbow Dash drew her wing around her shoulders. “I hope you have no difficulties settling in, it must be hard keeping your wings like that.”

“It’s not too hard as long as I can stretch them out once in a while.” Rainbow replied as the door opened, revealing what appeared to be a home like structure. Though it was sparsely decorated, walking in Rainbow Dash could not help but feel uneasy with the sterile and clean environment.

“Your rooms are this way.” Taun We said leading them to two other doors and showed them how they locked. She also showed them how the furniture worked. Xestu remained quiet even after Taun We left. Rainbow Dash was surprised, normally they would be getting into an argument by now. ‘It’s almost like he’s ignoring me, is he mad at me?’ Rainbow questioned mentally before shaking her head. ‘No way, when he doesn’t like you he’ll make it known. Perhaps what Bric said really did get to him… maybe he did get assigned to a paper pushing position. I don’t think Pir would do that, but what if it wasn’t him. Yet he would still try to get everyone assigned to a place that would utilize our special talents. Xestu, he’s not a thinker, he's a fighter. Could it be that he’s…..’

Her thoughts were interrupted by the door chime, curious Rainbow climbed to her feet and walked over to the door. Standing in front of it Rainbow stretched out her wing and pressed the button. The door slid open with a hiss revealing El-les.

“Uh, hi.” Rainbow spoke forgetting all formalities as she stared at the alien bounty hunter who greeted her with a calm smile. “Hello, I am here to retrieve Xestu, the Clones are about to resume their training and Master Shaak Ti is looking for you.”

“Let me get him.” Rainbow told him before moving back. “You can come if you like.”

“I am fine, I believe it won’t take you too long to get him.” responded El-les and Rainbow Dash moved away to the room she had watched Xestu walked into. Taking a deep breath Rainbow pounded on the door saying. “Xestu! El-les is here, he says that the Clones training is about to resume.”

There was silence for a moment before the door slid open and Xestu moved past Rainbow Dash. She was about to say something to him but he was already rounding the corner. Shaking her head Rainbow followed after both of them quickly knowing that El-les would show her the way. It didn't take too long for her to find Shaak Ti once they had arrived at their destination. The Jedi Master bowed in greeting and the two return the greeting with a salute. Xestu followed the bounty hunters downto the training area as Shaak Ti moved to speak with Rainbow Dash in private.

“I find that I must warn you that this training is harsh. While here you will need to find a way to balance your compassion and attachment to the Clones with your duty.” Shaak Ti told Rainbow Dash causing her to inhale sharply. “If you do not I fear it will affect your ability to fight in oncoming battles.”

“How are you able to do it? I mean you train and watch over them. How can you keep that balance?” Rainbow asked, Shaak Ti was silent for a moment before answering. “It is difficult for me, yet as a Jedi I use what I know how to keep that balance. You will need to find your own way, just as Xestu will need to. I do not agree with Colonel Pie’s request, as it would likely cause an even further divide between Xestu and the Clones. Yet sending him here was the right choice.”

Rainbow Dash went quiet as she thought about the words as she walked behind Shaak Ti. Her brows furrowed, her head turning slightly, eyes staring at the wall. There was silence for a quick second until the confusion was too great for Rainbow Dash. “Wait… what?”

Shaak Ti hides a small smile as she led Rainbow Dash to the area where she observed the training sessions.

Author's Note:

Short chapter this time folks, the next one will be longer than this.