• Published 24th May 2020
  • 1,027 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Dash's First Trial: Clone Wars Year 1 - Hikarikurai24587



Rainbow Dash's time in the Galactic Republic. During the time of the Clone Wars.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,027

Being Watched

Chapter Thirteen: Being Watched

Darkness stretched through the main room, Rainbow Dash was laying on her cot watching the clouds swirl against the ceiling. The only reason why she could see anything was because of the lights of the city. Her mind began to wander, her reading lessons were going well. Padmé was a good teacher for her, always keeping her attention and helping her when she struggled. Obi-wan and Anakin discussed her future if she did get accepted into the Navy. Anakin even offered to make a recommendation. Rolling onto her side Rainbow thought. ‘What am I doing, I’m not a fighter, I’m just a weather pony.’

“Everyone starts from somewhere.” Rainbow pushes herself off the bed seeing the familiar form of Darth Imperius. “Even myself.”

Rainbow opened her mouth to speak but Imperius lifted a finger up to his mask. He waved his other hand towards the sleeping clones.

“They will wake up if you speak and they will see no one.” Rainbow flopped back onto the cot rolling facing away from him. “Don't be like that, I’m only here to help.”

Rainbow just shot a glare over her shoulder before pointing at her head. An indication of the last time he tried to help her. She heard Imperius sigh mumbling. “You are just as bad as my brother.”

Rainbow twitched a feeling of irritation welling up inside of her. Grumbling mentally Rainbow Dash closed her eyes feeling sleep overtake her.


“Chancellor Palpatine, what brings you here sir?” Rainbow Dash rolled over in her cot. Her wings against the ground before she felt two hands push her off. She let out a yelp feeling herself hit the floor. Sitting up she opened her eyes glaring at whoever shoved her. The rising sun in the distance, greeting all those who were awake.

“This better be good Crossbones.” she hissed seeing the clone jerking a thumb towards the door saying. “The Chancellor is here, he wants to have a chat.”

Sighing, Rainbow climbed to her feet heading down to the entrance, her wings dragging behind her. Deciding to look at least somewhat presentable she wrapped her wings around her shoulders like a shawl. She walked out covering her yawn as she tried to speak. “Morning sir.”

“I am so sorry to wake you, but I have news.” Palpatine replied with a broad smile on his face before he spread out his arms. “My dear I am here to welcome you to the Republic and give you my congratulations.”

Rainbow Dash stood there in shocked silence before asking. “What?”

“You have been approved! You are now a citizen of the Republic.” chuckled Palpatine as he approached her. “And onto your request to join the Republic Navy.”

“Did you hear about that from the Aide… uh Kinman Doriana?” Rainbow questioned only to get the smile as a response. “Right.”

“Once you fill out the paperwork and complete the initial physical you will be accepted into the Navy.” Palpatine congratulated her patting her on the shoulder gently. Rainbow blinked unsure what to say before asking. “Physical?”

“In order to make sure you are in peak physical condition as well as getting an idea of what is normal for your species.” Palpatine explained, Rainbow Dash just stood there nodding her head. “I do believe getting started right away will provide the best results. If that is alright with you.”

Rainbow glanced behind her before nodding her head saying. “Sure. Let me just get changed.”

“Of course.” Palpatine replied and Rainbow Dash headed back in, one of the things Padmé had taken her out to do the other day was get clothes fitted for her and her wings. It was surprising, how many people just ignored her appearance. She could understand why there were a lot of strange looking creatures on this planet. Once she found the outdoor outfit, Padmé insisted on at least four different clothing, Rainbow Dash was changed and back in the entrance hall. If Palpatine was surprised at the clothing, he didn’t show it. She was led into the elevator, with Crossbones and Doc behind her. Once they were out of the apartment she was taken to the speeder that Palpatine arrived in. It sped off and Ash gave a sideways glance to Tank on the balcony.

“That was too quick.” he stated and Tank nodded his head. “What are they planning?”

“Sounds to me that you’re attached to her already.” teased Grimm leaning against a console. Ash paused for a moment before responding. “I owe her my life, we all do. Not many would do the same for us.”

“Well besides General Kenobi and General Skywalker.” Tank pointed out and Ash nodded his head. “But it is true, she didn’t know we were clones and once she found out… she didn’t care. She just treats us like people, good friends, makes me wonder what her planet is like.”

“One day we’ll find out, I mean she’s going to need a ride home. Right?” Tinker asked and Tank nodded his head as Ash spoke. “No matter how far her home is, we’ll get her there. We just have to find her friend first.”


Rainbow Dash walked behind Palpatine, glad that her lessons had gone well or else she wouldn’t have been able to read what she was filling out. She only had to work on her hand writing, though it was a little easier using her hands instead of her mouth to hold a pen. The registration officer had been quite surprised when seeing her wings and did point out it would be hard to find her a uniform. Rainbow looked back at her wings wondering. ‘Is he right? Will it be harder because of my wings?’

“Oh do not worry my dear, we will find a tailor if we have to. I’m sure you will be an excellent addition to the Republic Navy.” Palpatine assured her, Rainbow just gave him a look to make sure he wasn’t reading her mind.

“Is something the matter?” questioned Palpatine giving her a sideways glance causing her to shake her head. “Well now that the paperwork is over, I will need to take my leave. Aide Doriana will take you to get your physical done. I do have a schedule to keep to.”

“No problem, Chancellor.” Rainbow gave him a grin, watching as Palpatine moved with his guard towards his speeder. She turned her head to Aide Doriana, the grin still on her face saying. “It’s just you and me again.”

“Lovely.” Doriana replied before leading her towards their next location. Rainbow swore she could hear the sarcasm in his voice but brushed it off. She was just hoping that the physical wasn’t going to be painful.


Rainbow Dash walked out of the room three hours later rubbing her arm. The only painful part about that were the shots she was given. Most of the time it was the doctors and the droids discussing her scans and seeing her vitals as they put her through a series of tests. She had no idea of anything that they said, shaking her head she looked around for Aide Doriana. She spotted him talking with a tall man, rather catlike in appearance. ‘Well he doesn’t have a tail.’ she thought before heading over saying. “Hey, Doriana, I’m going to head back now. Unless you have a way to get some food for me and the rest of the clones.”

“Actually, I want you to meet someone.” Doriana said motioning to the man he was talking to. “This is Cym Pir, he is one of the people in charge of training new recruits. Cym Pir, this is Rainbow Dash. Ah, Mr. Pir is a Cathar, one of the many species in the Republic.”

“A pleasure.” the man replied holding out his hand and giving it a firm shake when Rainbow grasped it. “Hmmm, good handshake. But that doesn’t mean much, guess we will see what you can do.”

“I don’t expect things to be easy.” Rainbow replied feeling the grip tighten for a moment before releasing. “If things were easy I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

“Sounds like you have some stories to tell.” Pir replied and Rainbow chuckled about to start one but he held up his hand. “Save the boasting for when you prove yourself in training.”

“Alrighty then.” mumbled Rainbow Dash before her stomach started to protest. “Doriana, can we please get some food? I did get dragged out before breakfast. I think we had leftovers….”

Rainbow began to stare off into space thinking about the meal she had the night before. Doriana sighed before saying. “I’ll get you something. But it won’t be anything expensive.”

“That’s fine with me.” snickered Rainbow Dash as they left the building. Pir rubbed his chin for a moment in thought, watching her. Shaking his head, Pir headed further into the building knowing that they should have actually done a test to see what she needed to work on. He hadn’t heard about Equestria and he wondered just how far their technology had developed. The doorway he had walked through slid shut with a hiss.


Rainbow Dash touched down upon the ancient ruins of the forgotten Jedi temple. Doriana having been tasked with delivering the food to the clones. She knew he would have just headed back to his post afterwards. After all, no one could catch up with her. That was when a chill ran up her spine and she spun around. It was an eerie feel. ‘As if I’m being watched.’ she thought as she looked around slowly. She sighed when she saw no one and settled down on the pile of rubble.

“Okay, I have to start figuring out these new abilities. If I can’t get a handle on them I might hurt someone during training.” Rainbow mumbled to herself before stretching out her hand. “I know I have the barrier, not much I can do with that right now. I just need to figure out that red lightning. I know it has something to do with my emotions, but there’s got to be more to it than that. Come on think.”

Rainbow thought back to what she was feeling at the time. There was the anger from the words, but also fear and pain. She did not want to be hurt anymore. She felt the sparks go from one finger to another. She focused on that feeling, she knew deep down that it wasn’t just fear or anger that caused it to activate. It was a need, a need to protect herself from physical attacks. The lightning crackled further before she forced away from her, it shot through the air before hovering for a second. In it Rainbow could swear she could see a massive figure. From what she could tell the figure was over seven feet tall and had a powerful build. The red lightning only lasted for a few seconds more before vanishing in sparks. Rainbow held the hand that shot the lightning to her chest. She stared at the spot where she had seen the figure, fear was racing through her. She knew there had been more than one Sith in her mind, but when she had stared at that form, she knew that the figure was not like the others. If he had been in those chambers when she had been rescued… ‘I don’t think any of them would have gotten out of there.’ she thought.

“Maybe I should really try that meditation thing.” Rainbow sighed before sitting down cross legged. Taking a deep breath Rainbow tried to think of things that normally made her calm. She thought of her home, the skies of Equestria. They would be clear on a day like this, perfect for relaxing or just having fun with her friends. Twilight would be chatting about a new book she found. Applejack would be in a competition with Rainbow. Pinkie Pie would be planning a party. Fluttershy would have set up a picnic. Rarity would be showing off a new outfit while everyone chatted. That was her peace, that was something she wanted to do again. Her eyes opened seeing strands of different colors floating before her. The red one was dimmed as if to show her that she had already either obtained the power or the shard that the strand had connected to.

“Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, and black. Eight shards or abilities. Or both.” Rainbow muttered before stretching as the strands vanished. She looked up seeing the sky darkening. “Crap, how long was I out here for? I have to get back!”

Rainbow flapped her wings for a bit before she leaped up flying into the air. Her only hope was that she would find her way back in the dark.


The apartment was dark when Rainbow Dash landed on the balcony, her wings folding behind her. She was walking to the door when she stiffened.

“I know you’re there.” she whispered as she looked around. “I can hear your loyalties loud and….!”

Her voice caught in her throat when she tried to raise it to alert the troopers. A tall elderly man walked out of the shadows. His gold eyes examined her for a moment before he spoke. “Do not be alarmed, I have not come to harm you or your clone friends. Though I will if you try to alert them to my presence.”

Rainbow nodded her head in understanding and she felt the hold on her throat release. She rubbed her neck before asking in a lower voice. “Who are you?”

The man stared into her eyes, he was searching for any deceit. When he did not find any he took a step back saying. “My name is Dooku.”

“Dooku? Why are you at my place?” Rainbow asked relaxing when she felt the hold on her body release. She could tell already that Dooku was both real and powerful, yet he wasn’t instilling the same fear as the old man from before.

“I wanted to meet you, before the Republic has clouded your perception of me.” Dooku replied with a wave of his hand. “It seems as if they have not told you about the war they are fighting. That is interesting as they want you to fight in it.”

“I just need access to ships and maps, people who know where they are going. I’m helping out because…” Rainbow Dash glanced at the window where she could see the Clones sleeping. “I don’t want them to get hurt.”

“An admirable pursuit, I could have offered you ships, maps, and pilots. The protection of the clones on the other hand is something neither side can offer. After all, what is a life that has been duplicated a thousand times over to both sides fighting a war?” Dooku posed and Rainbow looked at the city lights. “Yet with your abilities you believe you can save them.”

“Not just believe, once I get a hang of these powers I can save them.” said Rainbow, her fists clenching. “I don’t care if either side can give me exactly what I want, my friends come first. Right now, my friends are the clones, a few of the Jedi, Padmé, and a good friend of mine I can’t find. I can figure everything else out.”

“There is something you can not figure out though.” Rainbow stiffened at his words. “Your abilities, they are quite new to you.”

“How… long have you been watching me?” asked Rainbow spinning around and Dooku walked up next to her saying. “I had originally come to watch the Chancellor. However, when I didn’t recognize your species I watched you instead. When you went to that ancient sight and began to practice I knew that you were something far more than a mere Force user. I fear those abilities would just be utilized by the Republic, as for the Jedi… do you really think that those who lock away their emotions could help you with your abilities?”

Rainbow tilted her head to the side before saying. “Not really, but I’m not all too trusting of you either. Until I figure out what you’re really after, I think I’ll just stick to experimenting on my own. If you don’t mind. I mean, if I can't control these powers myself, how would I know my limits?”

“You make a fair point. A position with me is still available, if you ever see the truth about the Republic and the Jedi.” Dooku told her and Rainbow Dash patted him on the back, feeling him stiffen. Instead of words all she got was flashes of images, whispers. Nothing she could make out clearly. Yet one image had caught her attention, it was of a man with long hair wearing Jedi robes. It was unexpected.

“Just one more thing.” Dooku said, turning to look at Rainbow Dash waving his hand. “You are feeling tired, you want to go to sleep.”

Rainbow Dash felt her head get rather fuzzy, sleep actually sounding really good. She yawned before falling asleep on the spot. Dooku blinked before sighing, he bent down and picked her up. He moved her into the hallway. Hearing movement Dooku slipped out of the apartment after setting her down. Doc paused as he walked towards the room, he sighed seeing Rainbow Dash sleeping peacefully in the hallway.

“Seriously, again?” he muttered before picking her up carefully and taking her into the main room laying her down on her cot. He patted her hair before moving towards his normal spot against the wall and fell asleep as well.