• Published 11th May 2020
  • 22,557 Views, 1,055 Comments

You're a demon (Apparently) - Turtwig-Tales

  • ...
51
 1,055
 22,557

Chapter 10

Starlight filled your vision. Not from the bear’s hide, but that dream again. Was it a dream? Eh, didn’t matter.

You hoped Discord wasn’t going to show up again. His brand of bullshit wasn’t something you were in the mood for right now.

You weren’t sure if you were going to wake up again. If you were being honest with yourself, you weren’t sure if you wanted to. Why would you? What did you have left? A world that has gone out of its way to show you it hated your guts. The residents, the animals, even the weather itself have taken shots at you. In a way, you were impressed you had made it this long.

Out of everything, a sad, sorry, and sweet unicorn named Amber Gaze was the ONLY thing that had gone right. Even if she had trouble grasping the fact that you weren’t what she thought you were.



And now…Was she even still alive…? Without her, was there any point in trying to go on…?



You saw a light. Your life was nothing if not cliché, it seemed. Oh well, whatever. Not like it mattered…



But what if Amber’s alright? A voice echoed around you.

Was that Discord? No, it was softer. Kinder. Concerned.

You tried to find the voices’ source, but you saw nothing. The question it posed hung in the air like a fog, causing you to pause.

If Amber was okay or at least had a chance of recovering, didn’t you owe it to her to be there? She got hurt trying to help you, and if you just abandoned her like this that’d make you kind of a douchebag.

With that thought, you felt your felt yourself being jerked away from the light, hurdling through the starry expanse into seeming nothingness…


You woke with a start in a…strange place.

You found yourself laying on a bed. Sure, it was made of straw and it poked you in several places, but it was the most comfortable thing you’ve laid on since getting here. Hell, it was probably better than that old mattress you’d had back home.

Speaking of ‘home,’ you wondered who’s you were in right now.

Various masks covered the wooden walls, giving the place a slightly creepy feel. You shifted slightly and winced against the waves of pain that shot through your body in protest.

Oh, right…Broken bones, probably internal bleeding. Movement is not my friend right now…you scolded yourself.

A raspy breath drew your attention to the other side of the room. There was another bed in a nook similar to yours, with a form covered in bandages.

Amber.

To hell with the fucking bones.

You forced yourself to move against the pain and managed to move out of the bed. Sadly, you didn’t manage to get your feet under you, and you hit the floor hard. It felt like your entire body was on fire and almost passed out again. Somehow, you successfully fought to stay conscious.

“Okay, not the best start…” you wheezed “Just to get over…”

You stopped as you realized the task you had before you. To get to Amber, you had to cross the width of the hut. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, despite your best efforts, you couldn’t seem to get your legs to work with you.

Wouldn’t it just be my luck to get paralyzed. I wonder if Horseyland has wheelchairs.

Minutes passed like hours as you crawled across the floor. Several times the pain became too intense and forced you to stop and rest. You surprised yourself with the progress you had made. Either you had more stamina than you had thought, or you were just insanely stubborn. Or stupid. Or both.

Whatever the reason, you had to get to Amber. You had to know if she was alright.

You had made it about a fourth of the way across the room when you heard the sound of hooves hitting the dirt outside.

You froze and briefly considered trying to make it back to the bed. Although, not like you could. It had taken a considerable amount of time and effort to make it this far, and there was no way you could make it back anytime soon.

The wooden door swung open, revealing the hooded figure that had saved you from the Ursa Minor. It seemed to stare at you, and as best as you could tell it was surprised at the scene. Slowly it raised a hoof and lowered its hood.

It was a zebra. With a mohawk, and with a LOT of gold rings on its neck and forelegs. It looked like a stereotype that would get you kicked off Twitter in an instant.

“Awake already, I am surprised. I thought it would be days before you finally rised.” It intoned in a sing-song rhyme that could not have been an accident. It dropped a saddlebag it was carrying and move towards you. Unsure of its intentions you tried to move away, but you were stopped by an intense wave of pain.

“Your will is admirable, that much is true, but I don’t think this is a smart thing to do.” It remarked as picked you up as gently as it could. The strength displayed by a relatively small creature surprised you. Despite your apprehension, you didn’t have the strength to fight against being moved back to the bed. You were helped to lay down and began mashing some plants in a bowl with a hoof.

“Who ARE you?” you forced between labored breaths.

“My name is Zecora, of fair Everfree.” She replied as she raised the bowl to your lips. “Drink this, you’ll feel better, you’ll see!”

Drinking a seemingly random assortment of plants made by a weird rhyming (seriously what was with that?) zebra wasn’t something you were eager to trust. On the other hand, you’d been unconscious in her home for God knows how long. She if she was going to off you, she could have done it much earlier. You took a tentative sip and almost gagged. It was probably the most bitter thing you’d ever had the misfortune of having in your mouth.

Zecora frowned and lick a bit of leftover paste from her hoof.

“Strange, to me it seems fine. Though I guess all are different, so drink up, try not to whine.” She remarked and forced the bowl back into your mouth. You wanted nothing more than to not drink the foul brew, but it was that or drown in the stuff. And you were NOT going down like that after everything you’d survived thus far. It was an ordeal, but you made it through. Somehow.

“See now, that wasn’t so bad. Now just let the brew do its work, and soon you’ll be glad.” The zebra chirped.

As you waited for…something, you let your eyes wander. Seriously, what was with all the masks here? Creepy-ass witch-doctor rhyming zebra interior decoration. You hoped it wouldn’t spook Amber to bad when she-

“AMBER!” you shrieked as you bolted upright. “Is she okay?”

Zecora locked eyes with you, her gaze serious, and filled with concern.

“I can do much, but I have limits, I’m afraid.” She looked over to Amber’s still form and sighed. “Her wounds are too great. She needs medical aid.”

“Oh great. And I guess there’s no doctor anywhere near here, right? Just my luck.”

The zebra cocked her head.

“…No? There’s one nearby, with excellent facilities. I’m sure they can help your friend with all their abilities.”

“Oh…Wait then why’s she still here? Why haven’t you taken her there?”

She poked your head with her hoof, which threatened to knock you over.

“That is why. I cannot leave you alone. Leaving one so weak by themselves I cannot condone. When I found you, I cared not how you look. But ponies’ nerves are easily shook. So, until you are well, here we shall stay. Do not argue, I’ll not change my way.”

She paused to look you over.

“Although with how quickly your pain’s been relieved, that time may be sooner than I had conceived.”

After a moment you realized what she’d meant. You were sitting upright in the bed when the simple act of moving had been nearly overwhelming minutes before. There was still pain, but far less than before. Despite that and a general sense of weariness, you felt leagues better than you had when you’d woken up.

“What…was that…?”

“The forest has herbs that help heal, but that doesn’t mean that you’re through your ordeal. The herbs ease pain, but your bones have not set. Don’t push too far, you will lose that bet.”

“Huh…” you say as you eased back into the bed. You studied your impromptu doctor for a long moment. “You…really don’t care about how I look? Like, you’re not afraid of me?”

Zecora shook her head.

“I am not one to judge by appearance or creed, at least not without cause. Although I admit you did give me pause.”

“I don’t blame you.” You hacked a laugh “Believe it or not, I’m not even from this world. Some asshat ripped me across space and time, and he even got it wrong. He wanted a demon to kick off some grand takeover scheme, but he got me…a human. A powerless, worthless human…”

The zebra studied you for a moment.

“I know nothing of humans, I’ve not seen one before.” She laughed “But it is a stretch to believe you’re such a creature of yore.”

You looked over your bandaged friend.

“Yeah…I’m not sure why she stays with me. I’ve brought her nothing but trouble. And now…I almost got her killed. Maybe it would’ve been better if I’d never got here…”

Zecora didn’t reply. She stared into space, deep in thought. After a while, she opened her eyes.

“When I found her, her back was scarred badly. And I think I recognize the shapes, sadly.”

She placed a hoof on your shoulder.

“You saved her from a cruel master’s lash. That means a lot to her, don’t be so rash.”

“Yeah...Things were kinda shitty for her when I got here…And if she’d wanted to leave, she could’ve at any time.”

As she trotted toward the door, Zecora smiled.

“Don’t make more problems, it will make you feel even worse.” After a pause, she smirked, “Although, perhaps not as bad as an Ursa Major would, of course.”

“Ursa…Major…?

“Oh yes, Minor’s are the young of its kind. Had you met a Major, its mother, there wouldn’t be much to find.”

“Huh…”



“Wait, that thing was a baby!?


For once, you knew how long it had been since you got somewhere. A perk of being above ground and having contact with someone with an actual schedule. You first woke up in Zecora’s hut three days ago. Your pain had decreased by wide margins, whatever that paste Zecora fed you was a thing miracle. The stuff that would make you rich before it regulated to hell and back, stolen through ‘fair’ means or foul, then sold by a corporation at quadruple the price. Minimum.

Three agonizing days of waiting. Not because of anything physical, WonderPaste (was that a good name?) had that covered. No, you were worried about Amber. She still hadn’t woken up. Every so often she twitched or moaned in her sleep, and every time a little spark of hope appeared, only to be swiftly snuffed out.

You’d lost count of the times you’d argued with Zecora that you were well enough to fend for yourself for a few hours and to get Amber the help she needed. But she was adamant that the forest was too dangerous, and you were still too easy a target.

The striped bitch.

No, that was too harsh. She’d taken you in, fed you, and tended to your broken bones. And it was nice to talk to someone seeing as how you had literally nothing else to do. The constant rhyming was still slightly annoying, but whatever. The zebra was doing her best to care for the both of you in a pretty shitty situation, so the least you could do was cut her some slack. You knew she wasn’t a bitch, you were just getting frustrated. For all you knew Amber was slipping away, and all you could do here was sit and watch.

Yeah, fuck that.

You had had an idea. A very, extremely, incredibly stupid idea, but an idea nonetheless. At some point in between arguments, you’d managed to glean the general direction of the nearby town Zecora had mentioned. Whenever you had time (which was a lot) you practiced walking around. If Zecora was watching you, you took it easy. If she was out, you maybe, possibly, hypothetically pushed yourself possibly a tiny bit more than you should.



If Zecora wasn’t going to take Amber to town, you would.



You knew this was idiotic. Zecora’s plan made sense: Wait until you could not die without her, then she takes Amber to a hospital. It made sense, and Zecora was certain that Amber wasn’t in immediate danger and was stable but needed medical professionals to made her better.

Despite the sense it made, it just…wasn’t good enough. Amber had suffered too much already in her life; she didn’t deserve to lie there broken and unconscious. Because of you. You had to do something. Anything.

It was a little after sunset. Zecora had just left to gather some new herb or whatever. Apparently, whatever she was going for only bloomed at night. She never left for long, but it was enough. Additionally, she’d neglected to wedge the door shut, in place of having an actual lock. This was your chance.

You stood over Amber, preparing for the task ahead. Your hand drifted behind her ear and began tenderly scratching. Amber sighed, which brought a smile to your face. You hoped she could feel it, she needed the comfort.

Your face hardened. It was time. No more waiting.

Gently you slid your arms under her, careful to not move her too much. There was no way to tell exactly what was broken, so you had to do your best to not make anything worse. Thankfully, you didn’t think you felt anything shift when you picked her up. Good start. You shuffled over to the door, bumped it open, and headed off into the trees.

It was slow going. Half because you didn’t want to jostle Amber too much, and half because you didn’t want to push yourself too far. The herb paste had done well enough to dull your pain at rest, but it was steadily getting worse as you trudged along. Amber may have been a small horse, but she was still a horse. And horses, apparently, were mostly muscle, even the slightly malnourished unicorns. You’d never be stupid enough to say it to her face, but she was heavy. And as you went on, she only seemed to get heavier.

You took a chance and picked up the pace. No telling how much longer you’d last.

That last dose of WonderPaste was wearing off. The pain was coming back.

As the shadows grew, so did the sounds of the forest. It was…unsettling, to say the least. You were a stranger in this world, and the more dangerous wildlife had not been shy to introduce themselves beforehand. The prospect of meeting more wasn’t something that filled you with joy.

You pressed on.

The pain was getting worse.

Why were you doing this? Putting your life on the line for a talking horse that would have made this trek with someone in better condition only a few days later, likely during the day? As much as you tried, you couldn’t think of an answer. But whenever you thought about the chance of losing her…well, the shattered ribs weren’t the only burning feeling in your chest. What the feeling meant was something to figure out later.

When did your vision begin to blur? Not a good sign. Nor was the fact your limbs trembled with every step, or that the pain had been replaced with an odd numb feeling. You felt like you were going to pass out, or maybe should have long ago.

The chatters on chirps of the forest grew quiet, leaving a cacophonous roar of complete silence. Was something following you? You didn’t dare check. It felt like if you stopped, you would get going again. You could see an open field ahead as you neared the edge of the forest.

A lumbering figure appeared in front of you. It was vaguely canine, only the size of a car, and made of a haphazard mess of leaves and wood.

God dammit. You thought.

The beast lunged, its wooden-stake teeth bared and ready to tear. Somehow you managed to duck and roll under it, clutching Amber to your chest and hoping you didn’t break her or yourself in the process. You glance over your shoulder as the wood wolf crashed to the ground behind you, smashing into a million pieces. Before you could even feel relief, the pieces floated into the air and reformed into the monster once more.

It raised its head and let loose a bone-chilling howl. Glowing eyes appeared in the distance behind the beast. It had friends.

God fucking DAMMIT.

Adrenaline and desperation drove you forward out of the tree line. You didn’t know how that would help, but your thoughts were consumed by a singular thought: Save Amber.

Your heart was pounding in your ears as you stumble-ran across the field. The wolves pursued at a seemly leisurely pace, likely able to outrun you even if you could sprint.

A massive force hit you from behind as a wolf batted you with a paw. You hit the ground, and you lost your grip on Amber. She flopped limply on the ground.

Another paw hit your gut, knocking what little wind was left from your lungs. Another struck your side. Then another. And another.

They were playing with you.

This can’t be the end. You thought desperately, Dying as some Maple Mutt’s chew toy? This can’t be-

A flash of purple light blazed across the sky and struck the wolf above you, rendering one leg a charred stump. Another blast carved a hole in another beast’s side. The pack scattered, whimpering and whining as they retreating to the safety of the forest.

Blurry figures approached you. It sounded like they had hooves, so maybe they were helpful. You heard hushed whispers and snarling voices but couldn’t make out what they were saying. It didn’t matter. Only one thing mattered as the darkness came to claim you once more.



“Save her.” You wheezed. “Please.”

Author's Note:

((Some of you wanted a longer chapter. Here ya go!))