• Published 11th May 2020
  • 22,501 Views, 1,055 Comments

You're a demon (Apparently) - Turtwig-Tales

  • ...
51
 1,055
 22,501

Chapter 11

You were surprised when woke up. Those wolf things no doubt did a number on you, and that with the previous damage from the Ursa Minor and what you did to yourself getting here could have easily done you in. Yet here you were, alive.

Not that being alive felt so great at the moment. To say it hurt would be…inaccurate. It hurt to move, hurt to breathe. Not as much as you thought it should, just kind of a constant, dull ache. Maybe your nerves were completely shot? But regardless, you were alive. So there was that.

Taking a look around, you were in what looked to be a tree. Now that you thought about it, Zecora’s place was also a tree. But this had wall-to-wall books, with a staircase leading upwards carved into the far side. There were branches and leaves outside the windows and the faint twitter of birds in what you believed to be the morning sun. You shifted slightly and felt a familiar tingle run from your foot to your gut.

You were in another god-damned circle.

Had the cult somehow escaped and found you? If they had you, then they had Amber, and OHGODWHEREWAS-

Approaching voices snapped you to the present. They were close. With little in the way of options, you played dead. Given how you felt, it was easy. You left one eye cracked open to see what was happening as the door opened.

Six ponies entered the room, and your heart sank. The cultists, you could handle. You had left with reasonably good standing with them, and could probably bullshit some reason to buy time. But Pony Team Six? Likely not. And, true to your current streak of luck, they were exactly who walked in.

They didn’t look happy. Bad sign.

Although, they seemed to be having an…argument? Good sign? Maybe?

“I just don’t get why we can’t just get rid of it and be done already!” Pride Pony snarled.

Yeehaw nodded.

“As much as Ah like savin’ the world ‘gain, I got the harvest ta think about.”

“And my orders have simply been piling up.” Prissy whined.

“DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BIRTHDAY PARTIES I HAVE TO MAKE UP FOR ‘CAUSE OF THIS!?” Bouncy screamed, shaking Purple like a ragdoll.

“Um…one?” Wimpy answered. “And I don’t need a party if it’s too much trouble…”

“It’s the principle!” Bouncy replied.

“I know girls, but we need to know why it resisted the Elements before we try again. I’m worried it did something to them, or they could be broken, or maybe it’s too powerful for them or-“ this went on for a few minutes, with Purple becoming more frantic and coming with increasingly ridiculous scenarios.

A new face appeared. You hadn’t seen it immediately because it was much smaller than the ponies (which was saying something) and was hidden behind Purple. It looked like a purple, bipedal lizard of some kind. It rested a claw on Purple’s leg.

“Chill. It’s not doing anything right now.”

“Yeah, those Timberwolves really did a number on it.” Yeehaw added.

“Is it even still alive?” Pride Pony wondered.

All eyes turned to you. You tried your best to melt into the floor. Sadly, it didn’t work.

Lizzie cautiously walked up next to your circle.

“Careful, don’t break the circle.” Purple warned “It’s the only thing keeping in contained.

Yeah you wish. You thought. That’d be the broken bones.

The lizard nodded and reached over the circle and poked your arm. It felt like a light jab from a pencil, and you managed to not react. It poked again with the same result. If you could just manage to keep up the façade, maybe-

-POW-

The stupid salamander punched you in the side! Exactly where you should be punched the least. Agony bloomed across your chest like a wildfire, and you couldn’t contain yourself any longer.

GAH! FUCK!” you screamed, sending Lizzie scrambling across the room in a panic as you writhed in pain on the floor.

The pain subsided after a moment and you blinked through the tears that had formed. Pony Team Six had huddled up together, each taking your reaction differently. Purple was cautious, energy pulsing on her horn. Pride was ready to brawl her wings outstretched. Yeehaw had got some rope from…somewhere and was twirling it around her head. Prissy’s horn was also glowing, but she looked less confident about all this. Bouncy was, well bouncing, with a grin that genuinely made you uncomfortable. Lizzie was staring you down bravely from behind Purple’s legs. Wimpy looked ready to faint.

“Don’t…don’t you move!” Purple finally choked out, sounding far less confident than she’d likely wanted to. ‘N-not that you can, that circle is ten times stronger than the one you were summoned with. At a fraction of the size!” She sounded a little prideful of that.

“Trust me, moving’s the last thing I want to do right now.” You moaned.

“Oh, well…good.” The group relaxed. Slightly.

There was a long pause. It was…awkward. No one seemed to know what to do.

You decided to break the ice with the most important question on your mind.

“Where is Amber?”

Purple’s face darkened.

“Recovering. And out of your reach.”

Yeah!” Pride Pony added “And we’re gonna undo whatever weird mind-stuff you did to her!”

“Is…Is she going to be alright?”

That seemed to surprise her. She looked to her companions, who shrugged.

“Um…yes…?”

There was another pause. Suddenly, you started laughing. And crying. Sure, it sent wave after wave of pain throughout your body, but it was nothing compared to the wave of relief that flooded over you. It overwhelmed your senses, driving you to act like some deranged lunatic on the floor.

But it didn’t matter.

Amber was going to be okay.

Your outburst had, unsurprisingly, confused the hell out of the ponies and lizard thing. They formed a small huddle, whispering to themselves and occasionally casting suspicious glances in your direction. As you managed to reel yourself in, Purple approached you.

“Why do you care what happens to her?” she asked you bluntly.

“Because she’s my friend. The only one I’ve got here.” You immediately replied. “She got hurt because of me.”

That seemed to surprise them, as they looked at each other in shock. More whispering.

“You…w-want to make…friends…?” Wimpy squeaked from the back.

“I mean, I’m not against the idea.”

“The why tha hay didn’t ya jus’ say so in the beginning!?” Yeehaw growled.

You raised an eyebrow.

“Well considering our relationship started off so gloriously with you trying to flatten me with weaponized rainbows, I didn’t think making friends was very high on your priority list.”

Suddenly, Pride Pony was in your face.

Because you’re demon! Why would you want to be friends!?” she shrieked.

If you could raise your arms, you would have facepalmed.

“Oh fuck, I almost forgot about…I’m not a demon.” You groaned.

Prissy laughed nervously.

“Oh of course you are, I mean…just look at you!”

You glared at her.

“Okay, rude. What’s that supposed to mean?”

She coughed and looked away instead of replying.

“What she means is those crazy ponies were tryin’ ta summon a demon ta overthrow tha Princesses! And well…here you are!” Yeehaw piped up. “Ah ain’t seen anythin’ like ya ‘fore, an’ ya popped right outta a magic circle!”

“Like popcorn!” Bouncy interjected “But eeeevilllll…”

“And just because they were trying for something, that means they got it?” you retorted.

None of them seemed to know how to respond to that. So, you continued.

“And even if I am a demon, which I’m not, why do you assume I have some malicious plot? Regardless of what I am, I’ve been ripped across time and space to a completely alien world with magical talking horses, bipedal cave dogs, giant sparkly bears, and wolves made out of scrap wood. The only reason I have to stay here is to make sure Amber’s okay. That’s it.”

“Well…the original circle did have a few inaccuracies…not to mention the inefficient mana use…it could have resulted in a faulty summon, and pulled a random creature from a random plane of existence…” Purple half-murmured as she rubbed her chin.

“And aren’t demons supposed to be, like, suuuuper-duper-extra-special-tough?” Bouncy chimed in as appeared next to you in a lab coat. She pulled a stethoscope from a pocket and placed it on your forehead. “But all these bones are crumpled up like used cupcake wrappers!”

The others murmured to themselves, becoming increasingly unsure of the situation.

“Are you all seriously buying this?” Pride Pony complained, “It’s obviously lying to try and trick us! As soon as we let our guard down, then WHAM! ” she stomped a hoof to punctuate her point.

There was a long silence as the group weighed their options.

“I believe him.” Wimpy finally said.

“I- what-…WHY!?” P.P. demanded.

“It doesn’t make sense. Why would he risk coming to us? He can barely move because he’s so injured. How could he possibly gain anything from coming straight to us when he’s so vulnerable?” the yellow pony responded calmly as she stepped between you and the raging Pegasus.

“For Amber.” You answered. “Besides, I didn’t even know you all were here. I just knew there was a town with a hospital here. Amber needed professional help, and that’s it. How can I plan to trick you if I didn’t even know you were here?”

Pride Pony opened her mouth to retort but couldn’t seem to come up with anything. Instead, she crossed her forelegs and began brooding. Which, on a small blue horse, looked adorable.

Purple cleared her throat.

“There’s just one thing I don’t understand.” She inquired “When we found you, you and ‘Amber’ were already bandaged. By somepony who knew what they were doing, by the looks of it.”

She looked you up and down.

“Not you, obviously.”

“Rude. But accurate. Your point?”

“I just want to know who helped you before you got here.”

You thought for a moment. Yeah, it would be simple enough to tell them about Zecora, but would she get in trouble?

“Why does it matter? Are you going to punish them or something for aiding and abetting a wanted fugitive?”

Purple looked horrified for a moment.

“N-No! I just want to get an idea of what happened, is all.”

She seemed sincere enough. You decided to give her what she wanted and told her about the Ursa Minor, Zecora, and the events leading you here. The group listened with…mixed expressions. Pride Pony was still fuming in the corner, and Prissy and Yeehaw still looked to be doubtful. Purple listed with reserved attention, while Bouncy, Wimpy, and Lizzie seemed to be enraptured.

“And the next thing I knew, I woke up here on the cold, hard, floor.” You finished “Seriously would it have killed you to put a pillow or something here?”

“Well, we didn’t think about it…” Wimpy mumbled. “We can find you one…”

“Not that you deserve it!” Pride Pony yelled from across the room, earning a surprisingly intense death glare from Wimpy. The rainbow horse immediately shrunk away and mumbled something that could have been an apology of some kind. Maybe you should rethink calling the dainty Pegasus ‘Wimpy.’

“Hey, uh, can I ask something?” Lizzie asked.

“Shoot.”

“Why’d you leave Zecora’s? Seemed like you were safe there.”

“I was worried about Amber. Zecora said she was stable, but I couldn’t risk something happening to make her worse. And since I couldn’t be left for too long, she wasn’t willing to make the trip.”

“But didn’t you say she left frequently?” Prissy chimed in. “Including when you escaped.”

“Not for long. About a half-hour at most. Long enough to slip out, but not long enough for a predator to try something.”

“But then why would you take the risk of taking her yourself?” Wimpy questioned “Two wounded creatures would draw in all kinds of predators. Why not wait until you were strong enough to not hurt yourself walking?”

You sighed and mentally rubbed the bridge of your nose.

“Look, I was worried, desperate, and on some kind of homemade morphine. Critical thought wasn’t exactly happening at that point.”

“…Fair enough.” Purple shrugged.

“I just hope Zecora isn’t too worried about us.” You said, “Maybe someone should go and-“

The door flew open with a SLAM! and revealed an incredibly pissed-off zebra, her crystal-blue eyes resembling pinpricks of thinly veiled rage.

She addressed the room with a disturbing calm.

“If that idiot lives, he earned quite the bill. That’s what he gets for leaving my goodwill.”