• Published 11th Apr 2020
  • 281 Views, 1 Comments

Why are you crying? - claassy



In a city full of fire, there is always an innocent sunshine.

  • ...
 1
 281

I'm dying

"Why are you crying?" a filly asked.

"I'm dying." he answered.

"Are you afraid of dying?" she asked again.

"I am." he said through tears.

"Why are you dying?" she asked more.

"I was shot," he said, "Don't you see, kid?"

"I don't," she said, "But I heard you crying and rushed to you."

"Are you blind?" he said frustrated.

"Yes," she said, "My mama told me that my eyes were cursed by somepony. Baad somepony."

"It's good. You'll live a happy life. You won't have to see what's going on around you."

"I don't see, but I hear." she said, "I also can sniff. Mama says that I've got grandpa's sniff. He could've sniffed a pie a mile from here. Do you bet I can sniff a pie like him?"

"Do you sniff any now?" he asked.

"Nope," she said, "That's odd because misses Cream always has a pie shop around a corner. Me and my friend always go there for some cupcakes."

"There isn't a single pie left in the city, kid." he pointed.

"Oh, I heard that misses Cream left for her son anyhoofs, my mama told me that."

"Where is your mom?" he asked concerned.

"She left for Aunty Lora's farm to borrow some potatoes. She was always saying that I am too small to be home alone, but today is a special day I guess. Do you reckon I am old enough already for that? I mean I am only 6 but in a few days, I'll be 10. Or 9? I need to ask my mama she knows numbers better than I do. She said she'll be back in a few hours. I tried to count but forgot what goes after 4. I know everything up to four because I have four hoofs. So I just stopped counting and seated next to the window listening to the fireworks for the rest of the day. But then I heard you crying outside. You aren't crying anymore. Have I cheered you up?"

"She didn't tell you. That's good." he said.

"About fireworks? Yeah, they've been going for an hour already. Have you seen them? I heard them, and sniffed some smoke. Why there are fireworks? Isn't summer celebration in a week?"

"It's August, kid. Summer celebration has been two months ago."

"Ohh, I'm sure it's busy on aunty's farm if mama decided to stay there. I'm sure she'll be back."

"She won't. Go hide kid, let me die alone. There is no hope for me." he said in despair.

"But why do you wanna die if you are afraid of it. Let's die together and we will keep each other up?"

"Do you know what dying is?"

"Oh, no I don't. Is it a game, is it fun? Am I old enough to play it?" she said excitedly to learn a new word.

"Kid, stop. You don't wanna die. You're too young. I am too young. There is still so much else to accomplish for us two." he said.

"Oh, so you wanna be friends. I had only one friend. She lived near us and often visited me. I wanted my mama to meet her, but they just never could bump into each other. It was alright though she was just as fun as my mama. They were really similar and I'm sure they would love to meet each other. My name is White Eye. My mama told me that's because my eyes are white, but I don't even know what white means. Is it a shape? If it is, it hurts to touch it. What's your name?"

"Wide Wings."

"Oh, so you are a pegasi! I've never talked to one before. There are only earth ponies here. What part of the town do you live in?"

"I'm from Cloudsdale."

"Cloudsdale! Wow! That's so amazing. I heard you live on the clouds, is it true? Do you eat clouds too? I bet they are not tasty, but my mama always told me not to judge others. Do you miss it?"

"Very."

"Do you have friends there?"

"I had a friend." he said sadly, almost bursting back to tears, "He was ran over by a Panzer." He started crying again, "World is cruel. I've seen him squished on the ground with busted back legs and broken horn. He wasn't even being able to say a word to me."

"Why?"

"He died."

"Oh so he is playing it too. Let's all play together. I bet I can find my friend somewhere, do you bet. Usually, she finds me. I can't see so you'll have to help me."

"Shut up kid, you don't understand!" he cried, "Your mom died! Your aunty died! Everybody you know died! I will die! Why do I have to die! I don't want to! I just don't! I want to be with my mom! With my sister! I want to find a girl, I want to have kids! I want to live!"

The filly stood silent trying to understand how has she made Wide Wings upset.

"I'm too young for that. I don't have to die. And I have to die with some stupid blind kid." he cried frustrated.

The filly stood still facing into nothingness.

"Go away kid, go where you came from and don't come out until someone comes for you," he said, but the kid did not move. "Go away!" he cried.

"But, we are friends? Are we not?" she asked.

"Damn, kid," he said, "You are quite an innocent piece of sunshine in this burned city."

"What is it to die?" she asked again.

"It is to go. Forever. You stop thinking, you stop feeling. There is nothing left from you. Except a flesh lying on the ground. And if you're lucky, there'll be stone with your name on it. And you'll be lying six feet under. It's the end."

"Is dying bad?"

"Yes, it is. Especially when you die for nothing with nothing."

"But if it's bad, why do you have to do it?"

"I never had a choice. War has chosen this destiny for me."

"What is war? Is it another game?"

"Yes, it is. A game. Evil game. And we are all part of it. We are not playing it. We are being played. By ponies who deserve nothing and have everything. A forbidden game that nopony should ever play."

"Do they play it now?" she asked.

"Yes, they do."

"Can't we just ask them to stop?" she asked.

"If only everything was so easy, kid." he said.

"How long till you finish dying?" she asked.

"A few minutes, I lost too much blood." he said.

"Can I hug you?" she asked.

"Yes, yes you can." he said.

"Where are you?" she asked.

"Right below you, you are standing on my legs." Wide Wings touched her with his big hoof to let her know where he is.

White Eyes tried to find him and stuck a hoof into his face. She got off his legs still holding a hoof on Wide Wings to not lose him. She lays down beside him and hugs his neck laying her head on his shoulder. Wide Wings finds some strength to wrap a wing around her.

"Wide Wings?" she said, "What do I do when I'll be dying."

"Make sure it worths it."

"But what if nopony gives me a choice."

"Then run. There is nothing more important in this world than your life." At this moment he started to lose strength, and cough.

"Are you sick?" she asked concerned.

"It doesn't matter now, kid." he said, "I'm lost anyway."

"Will you be here to meet my mama?"

"I won't kid. As soon as I die, you need to run. Don't choose where, you just run, hear me? Get out of this city, find anypony, ask them for help. Hear me?"

"How do I know that you died?"

"I'll be cold, I'll be silent, I won't breathe."

"Wide Wings?" she called him again, "I think I'm in a puddle. It's all wet around. Is it raining outside?"

"That's no water kid... I just... lost too much... blood."

"When I bleed, my mama always washes the wound."

"It won't help kid... You just... you don't understand... what's going on around you. You will get it when you'll be older... If you will get older..."

"My mama will come soon, she'll stop the blood."

"Mama... right... where are you... Mama." he started crying again, "Please come... mama... mama... mama. I don't wanna die. Please... mama... Celestia... mama... somepony... No... That's not the way... Curse you Celestia... Curse you changelings... mama... please."

"She'll come, she will, Wide Wings." she tried to cheer him up.

"Kid... promise me... you'll survive... mmmmmmmmmm... promise... me... mama."

"I promise you." she said.

"I bet... your mother... is a beautiful mare... if she raised you... this way..."

"I've never seen her, I only heard her." she said.

"Trust me kid... your mama, is the most beautiful creature you'll ever meet... in your... life."

"I love my mama. You do too, right?" she asked.

"Mama... I love... you." he was saying on his last breath, "I... love... you... mama."

"Wide wings?" she asked, "Are you asleep? It's cold. It's hard to breathe too. I sniff too much smoke. My fur is all wet. You are asleep. I'm sure we'll come up with something tomorrow then. I'm just too hungry. My mama will come soon and will make us soup. It is tasty. You'll like it."

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, I hope you liked my simple short dialogue. Have a great day!

Comments ( 1 )

I'mnotcryingyou'recrying
WHY DOES THIS STUFF ALWAYS HIT ME.
I hate sad stories like this with innocent children in them. They make me cry.

Login or register to comment