• Published 9th Jan 2020
  • 10,075 Views, 694 Comments

The Reservation - Kyuubi325



The Conversion War is over, ponies have lost a war caused by their formally beloved leader Celestia. Reservations in the former Equestrian state have been set up, while humans move into the new state of Lincoln.

  • ...
45
 694
 10,075

Cadence

State of Lincoln
Amore’s Town
Crystal Heart Memorial
11:13 AM

Cadence gazed at the greying crystalized heart sealed in resin, even with the support, she could see the crystal crumbling. There was only so much that could be done for it, the abuse it suffered during the Conversion Wars had pushed the relic to its limit. The moment the last barrier came down and the magic stopped flowing the ley lines in the crystal collapsed. Now it sat in this small church on a pedestal with the names of the Crystal Ponies who had been lost as a reminder of what had been taken from them all those years ago. The church was largely deserted so Cadence wouldn’t be disturbed during her silent remembrance. After a few moments, she slowly got back onto her hooves slipping on her bag and trotted out of the small church where the small Crystal Pony settlement greeted her. Less than 1000 of them remained, their culture on a knife’s edge of oblivion, but despite everything, they refused to give up.

As she trotted down the dirt street seeing the simple prefab buildings, a bit plain perhaps, but they were far better off then the Equestrian reservations. They had shops and had running water indoors, even reliable electricity. Aid had steadily flowed into the settlement after they were officially incorporated. But, it still didn’t feel like home to these ponies, and it wouldn’t for quite some time. She turned her head to look at one of the businesses that had opened up. Crystal Château, a tasting room, and restaurant that served locally produced wines and spirits. It wasn’t much to look at yet, just one of those white boxy prefabricated modern styled buildings with wide bay windows to allow for natural lighting. She couldn’t help but take a moment to inhale the wonderful scents of traditional Crystal Cuisine. They had recently become popular with passing tourists on their way to Ulysses. It wasn’t much but it was a start, the word was spreading about their Carnelian berry vineyards, the unique flavors of the liquors couldn’t be compared. They also couldn’t be grown by anyone else, Crystal Ponies naturally carried the unique decomposing and growth-promoting bacteria they needed to flourish, no substitute would do.

Continuing her trot through the small town she tried to ignore the conflicted look’s her ponies gave her. The physiological scars left by her adoptive aunt left them instinctively cautious around Alicorns, even her. It broke her heart knowing in the back of their minds, the combination of wings and a horn made them subconsciously link her to...Celestia. She shook her head attempting to rid her mind of that name as she entered a small specialized grocery. Golden Wheat’s Grocery, with the stores namesake dozing off a bit behind the register. The ringing of the bell above the door waking the dull yellow coated mare from her improvised nap.

“O-oh your highness, good morning.” She bowed her head in respect, but the pink princess could see the hairs on the back of her neck standing up, along with her ears swiveling back.

“Good morning Golden Wheat,” Cadence said sweetly while she started to make her way through the small shop. Levitating a scoop of dried multi-colored pasta into a bag. “How’s business?”

“It’s going well enough I suppose, it’s always slow during the mid-day though.” Golden Wheat shrugged her shoulders while watching her.

Cadence nodded her head looking over some cans of tomatoes before deciding instead to buy a few of the fresh ones nearby placing them in the bag. “That’s good.” She said a bit unsure of what else to say.

She would continue her slowly circle the small grocery, picking up a clove of garlic, some anchovy paste, fresh rosemary, ricotta cheese, and mushrooms. Mentally going through her list she nodded her head heading to the counter and setting it down. Golden Wheat proceeds to ring her up, nodding her head and looking back up. “$13.78 is your total, cash or card?” She asked in the same tired but friendly tone, attempting to mask her nervousness.

“Card, hold on...” Cadence dug around in her saddlebag with her magic before sliding it through the card reader. The two mares waited in silence before the receipt printed out. Golden Wheat promptly slipped it into the paper bag and pushed it over to the pink princess.

“Here you go, your highness, have a wonderful day.” The mare said a little too quickly while pushing the bag to the mare. The Crystal princess just nodded her head lifting the paper bag in her magic.

“You as well Golden...” She sighed as she trotted out of the grocery.

The trot home was uneventful, thankfully she didn’t live too far from the Crystal Heart Memorial, it wasn’t anything fancy, just a traditional small two-story American house with a cozy little yard. But just as she turned down the road to her house, she saw an ambulance outside. Without even thinking about it, she went into a full gallop. Barging through the picket fence gate she arrived just in time to see her husband being loaded into the ambulance and driven off. Looking around terrified she saw her daughter being comforted by the town Sheriff.

“What happened?!” She screamed in a panic though she already knew.

The sheriff sighed patting the little fillies back as she snuggled into the black blanket. “Shining Armor had another seizure, he ended up tripping and hitting his head on the stove...” He said solemnly.

“I-is he?...” She looked terrified, while the poor man quickly moved in for damage control.

“He’s alive, but....” He looked uncomfortable but shook his head it wasn’t his place to say. “I’ll drive you two over to Hydedsor Valley Hospital....” He sighed motioning to his old Durango.
———————————————————-
The drive had been quiet, except for the whimpers of her daughter, once they arrived Cadence rushed out with her daughter in tow. Only to be rebuffed by nurses and doctors telling them they needed to stabilize the stallion before anyone could see him. So they waited silently in a doctor's office, the pink pony cuddling her small daughter close. Eventually, a tired-looking tan-skinned man made his way inside, squeezing past the ponies and sitting down at his desk. Once he got settled he sat quietly contemplating what he was about to say, but Cadence had beaten him to the punch.

“H-how is he doctor Wagner?...” She asked squeezing her daughter close to her barrel.

Mulling it over he sighed and spoke. “His condition is stable, but I have other concerns...”

“O-other concerns?! My husband just had a seizure!” She was flabbergasted.

“His second seizure this month...” He said while rubbing the bridge of his nose.

“...What are the other concerns?...” She bounced Flurry Heart gently, the little filly whining softly.

“On the paperwork, you mentioned your husband had been having memory disruption...” He looked more serious folding his hands together. “As-well as random bouts of irrational paranoia...”

“H-he... just forgets things sometimes... and I-it’s only natural to be paranoid w-with... things as they are...” She swallowed while the doctor raised his eyebrow. To which she relented and looked away. “In the mornings he wakes up confused... and asks me why we aren’t in Crystal Castle...”

“And how do you respond?...” He leaned forward.

“At first I tried to remind him the Crystal Empire was evacuated Royal Guard when the Crystal Heart was seized under... you know who’s orders....” She shuttered attempting to suppress the memory.

“How did he take it?” He asked adopting a more thoughtful look.

“He remembers some things... Just saying her name puts him in violent hysterics...” She squeezes her daughter close.

“The trauma runs deeper then we thought then... but he doesn’t remember that the Crystal Empire is-“ He was interrupted.

“Sinking in a thick muck of melted permafrost... with mudslides swallowing everything else....” She frowned.

“I see... I take it you stopped telling him that after a while?....” He started to dig around for the stallions file in his desk.

“It only seemed to upset him... He did so much for us... sacrificed so much... to keep us safe...” She avoided eye contact while the doctor nodded solemnly, he had gotten to know the former princess well over the years. Growing to see her for what she was... a wife in a difficult situation. “So I told him we’ll be going home soon... it was easier that way...” She sniffed.

“I understand...” He nodded his head. “But the paranoia is what I’m most worried about... His Mana Induced Dementia seems to be advancing despite treatment...”

Cadence swallowed nervously. “So what’s the next step?” Flurry whimpering softly, despite being too young to understand what was going on, she could sense the mood.

“I’m afraid there isn’t much left... The medication regimen doesn’t seem to be slowing the neurological decay as much as we hoped.” He leaned back again, knowing this wasn’t something anyone wanted to hear.

“W-what are you saying?...” She swallowed but knew in her heart what came next.

“It’s my recommendation that he’s placed... in a care facility...” He said seeing the mare's heart break before his eyes.

“I-it’s not t-to that point i-is it?...” The tears started to leak down her cheeks. “P-please y-you can’t tell me h-he’s that far gone... j-just last week he surprised me making Crystal Risotto!” She stuttered fearfully. “I-it’s not like he’s violent!”

“That’s not the issue Cadence and you know it... It’s good he’s still able to cook meals... but the problem is he’s getting worse and needs around the clock care by professionals...” The doctors frown deepened, this kind of news never came easy to anyone. “So yes he cooked Crystal Risotto expertly for you last week, but the week before that he tore into the walls convinced something was watching him from within...” He leaned forward on his desk and looked her deep in her eyes. “You have a daughter to think about... Is this how you want her to see him?... declining before her eyes everyday?... We both know the final stage of this condition... before complete neurological... collapse.” He said avoiding using the word death.

“Extreme Delusions and Schizophrenia...” She sniffed while cuddling her daughter close. “I-I can stay around him m-more... I-I’ll make it work! W-we can get a live-in nurse!”

“Cadence... do you know how many family’s say that?... As it is, we have a healthcare professional shortage... I doubt you would be able to afford a private one...” His eyes looked distant, as he seemed to gaze at one of the walls. “As for staying home with him....some manage it for a while... but they all eventually slip up... reasoning they surely they could leave for just a few minutes to get groceries... or something along those lines... only to come home to tragedy...”

“I-I can... I... c-can...” She struggled to form words, she knew he was right. “I... don’t know... I just....” Flurry was whimpering loudly and snuggling into her mother for comfort.

“You don’t have to make the decision now... go be with him... He’s in room 311.” He said softly nodding his head.

Cadence just nodded her head sadly, levitating her filly onto her back after sliding out of the chair. “Thank you, doctor Wagner...”

She slipped out of the office wrapping her wings around her daughter comfortingly. The poor filly nuzzling into her mother's back as she trotted down the sterile hallways, a few visitors closing and locking the doors as she pasted. A precaution born from the Conversion War, many had bitter memories of Newfoals and Royal Guards attacking those most vulnerable. Ignoring the uneasy looks she arrived at 311 where the Sheriff sat on guard.

Nodding her head as she passed him, she slowly cracked the door open. “Shining?... You awake?” Peaking her head in.

“Cadence, Furry? When did you two get here?” The friendly voice of her husband responded cheerily if a bit tired.

Slipping inside she saw him sitting up in bed while watching TV, several bandages wrapped around his head. “Oh... we just arrived.” She smiled softly as she set Flurry down the young filly rushing her father's bedside smiling widely.

Pulling her up he sighed letting her snuggle into him as he flipped through the various channels. “How about we switch on some cartoons, sweetie...” He smiled put on Boomerang, which was playing some classic Tom and Jerry.

Cadence smiled trotting over and kissing her husband's cheek tenderly. “Anything I can get my dungeon master?” She giggles softly.

“Maybe some chips?” He asked while curling his hoof around his daughter tightly.

She just nodded her head smiling. “Sure hon, any particular flavor?”

“Hmmm... BBQ flavor if they have it.” He smiled at her before going back to watching cartoons with his giggling daughter. “Oh and maybe a cola?”

“Of course.” She nodded her head trotting out of his room to find a vending machine. After a short trot through the hospital, she finally found some older looking vending machines. Pulling a few dollars out of her saddlebag she selected the Ruffles Smokehouse Barbecue flavor, along with a 20oz bottle of Pepsi, not seeing any Coke. Making her way back to her husband's room she peaked in.

“Cadence is that you? I was wondering where you were, I haven’t seen you since I woke up.” He smiled at her softly. “Oh! I hope you're going to share those chips and soda.” The stallion eyed the snacks.
———————————————————-
The visit continued for a few hours, just the three of them watching cartoons as a family before visiting hours were concluded. She kissed her snoozing husband's cheek before following the Sheriff to his Durango. A deputy left behind to guard the sleeping former Royal. Cadence just sat quietly in the back seat holding her daughter who seemed to be thinking.

“Momma?....” She heard the soft, rarely used voice of her daughter.

“Yes, sweetie?...” Cadence asked softly while squeezing her daughter reassuringly.

“It’s my fault daddy’s in the hospital again.... isn’t it?” Flurry sniffed while shifting in her mother's lap.

“No sweetie.... of course not...” Cadence frowned while her daughter shook her head.

“B-but I asked daddy if he could make me a grilled cheese... I-if it wasn’t for me h-he wouldn’t have b-been in the kitchen! T-then m-maybe he... he....” She started to cry, tears leaking out. “I-I’m a bad pony....”

Cadence shook her head and squeezed her daughter close. “No Flurry... your not a bad pony... you couldn’t have known what was going to happen... Daddy... is very sick... and sometimes even mommy forgets...” She nuzzled into her daughter's mane, just closing her eyes.

The filly just continued to shake her head crying, snuggling close to her mother's barrel. Cadence would look up to notice the sheriff giving her a sympathetic look in the rearview mirror before turning his attention back to the road. The ride continued in silence before he started to pull the old Durango up onto the unused driveway.

“Here’s your stop... will you be alright?” He asked gently getting out of his seat to open the door for them.

“Yes, I think we’ll be ok...thank you, Jeremiah.” She slipped out of the car with her daughter in tow.

“Are you sure?...” He asked worried but seeing her nod he sighed slipping back into his car. “If you need anything just call my number alright?”

“I’ll keep that in mind...” She said nodding her head before making her way inside as he drove off.

She climbs the stairs she heading to her sleeping daughter's room, carefully levitating her under the covers. Staying there for a few precious moments to watch her, just to ensure she was sleeping soundly. Once she was satisfied she would quietly retire to her bed, the warm cotton and wool sheets would seem so inviting to most. But not to her, the soft mattress feeling so alien even years later. The memories of cold stone, streams of murky water leaking from the ceiling, and moans of ponies surrounding her soured any physical comfort for her.

She reached for the phone next to her bed levitating it close after dialing a number in the contact. Waiting a few moments she heard a soft yawn on the other end of the line. “Cadence?... is that you?...”. A tired voice asked.

“Yes... I’m sorry for calling you at an hour... but it’s urgent....” Cadence tried not to sound like she was begging to just hear someone’s voice.

“Oh no... it’s Shining isn’t it?....” The way she sounded more like she was expecting the bad news rather than surprised by it. Cadence wasn’t sure how to take that, but after swallowing she spoke up.

“Yes... He had another seizure... and hit his head on the stove while making Flurry lunch.” She sniffed gently.

“But he’s ok right?... Shining’s tough, he always pulls through....” The sounds of Twilight shifting a bit, likely sitting up in bed could be heard.

“The doctor says... his medications aren’t slowing the... decay....” She sniffed rub burn her hoof over her face.

“Well... what’s the next step?.... Stem cells?” Twilight said hopefully, to which Cadence mulled it over in her head.

“Maybe... but... his condition is getting worse Twilight... I was told... I might have to place him in a home...” She mumbled weakly, just saying it sounded like surrender.

“Worse?...” The voice on the other end of the line asked.

“He doesn’t even remember the Crystal Empire is gone Twilight... It got to the point where I was having to tell him every morning... Until I just promised him we would be going back soon... seeing the frustration and heartbreak on him... was too much....” She ignored the tears leaking down her face. “I-I’ve started lying to my husband... b-breaking our wedding vows... j-just because I’m n-not strong enough to tell him the truth e-every morning....”

“Cadence... What happened to Shining wasn’t your fault...” A swallowing sound was heard on the other end of the line. “I-it’s Celestia’s fault... It was her idea to shield Canterlot during the wedding... and it was her idea to... to....”

“To use his talent to manipulate the Crystal Heart... I know... because it can’t be my fault... I was locked in a dungeon with my daughter... while my husband sacrificed his mind to keep us safe...” She said in a tone that the mare on the other end of the line couldn’t recognize. “But that’s what makes it worse... I was used by her... and seeing him like this... it makes me feel... helpless....”

The line went silent for a moment before Twilight spoke up again. “I understand... With everything that’s happened... It’s hard to feel like we ever had control...”

“...You're right...” Cadence just said after a few moments of thought. “It’s just... I was always taught love could conquer anything... Yet, here we are... my husband slipping through my hooves... Helpless... with decisions being made for us...”

“You're talking about the Cultural Preservation Society...” She sighed gently while the pony nodded her head against the phone.

“... They’ve been such a big help... t-tracking down the last Crystal Ponies... donating money... representing us in legal matters... getting our settlement recognized as a town... things I could never do... I wouldn’t even know where to start!” She sniffed. “No... not helpless... useless... I’m thankful for all their help... but... it just feels like a constant reminder of...”

“...Impotence....” Twilight responded after waiting a few moments. “It makes you feel impotent... I’m dependent on the US Bureau of Equestrian Affairs... so I know the feeling...”

“I shouldn’t even be complaining... my ponies are recognized as US citizens... Yours... aren’t....” She sighed.

“... Cadence you have every right to be upset... your husband... m-my brother... is sick... Everything that has happened... has been so far out of our depth... all we can do it move forward... I know it’s frustrating... but... we have to make the best of what we have...” Twilight sniffed and tried to steady her breathing.

“I-I know that Twilight! B-but... Even my ponies fear me... they look at me with conflicted looks... remembering what I’ve done for them...but terrified I’ll fall like my aunt...” Cadence curled her hooves around herself.

“... Have you tried talking to them?... to placate their fears?...” Twilight asked.

“I... No... with Shining Armors condition... and Flurry still being so young... I haven’t addressed them... I.. don’t even know what to say...” She frowned slowly dragging her hoof in circles on the bedspread.

“Well... you could first address Shining Armors condition... I know it’s private... But-“ Twilight was cut off.

“Being the Crystal Prince his condition is no longer his own... It’s just... I’m scared of how they would react...” Cadence sighed gently. “I think... I’m going to officially renounce my throne... I know it doesn’t mean much now... but maybe that will show them... I’m not her...”

“C-Cadence you can’t do that! Y-your the last princess! E-even if it’s just an honorary title now I-it’s part of their identity too! Y-you... you.....” Twilight almost sounded desperate.

“Crystal Ponies are more than just one pink mare with a crown Twilight... I’ve been thinking about this for weeks... and made up my mind... I’ll schedule a town meeting and... Brief them on his condition... then offer to renounce my claim to the throne... If only to give them peace of mind... and for them to stop looking at me... like I’m going to become... her...” Cadence mumbled the last part more for herself.

“I... Are you sure?... I-it’s a lot to give up...” Twilight sounded shell shocked attempting to process what she was hearing.

“It’s not... it’s a worthless title in our new age... but hey...maybe they won’t want me to give it up... But I have to offer them that choice Twilight... if only to prove to myself I’m not the monster they are scared I will become...” She let the phone lien go silent for a few moments.

“A-alright... If you think it needs to be done... I support you Cadence...” Twilight responded after sitting in silence on the other end of the line.

“Goodnight Twilight... thank you for listening...” She let Twilight say her goodbyes before hanging up and snuggling into the sheets. Sleep didn’t come that night.

Author's Note:

So, maybe not the kind of drama some of you guys were expecting, but definitely bitter. I'm still looking for a proofreader/Editor, if anyone is interested please messege me.