• Published 9th Jan 2020
  • 10,068 Views, 694 Comments

The Reservation - Kyuubi325



The Conversion War is over, ponies have lost a war caused by their formally beloved leader Celestia. Reservations in the former Equestrian state have been set up, while humans move into the new state of Lincoln.

  • ...
45
 694
 10,068

Rainbow Dash (part 2)

State of Lincoln
Equestrian Reservation
SulferHoof
7:43 AM

Rainbow ran the brush through her mane until it was as straight as she could get it in the mirror. It was always difficult to tame her mane, but this time she couldn’t count on her father to get her a job. This wasn’t the Cloudsdale Weather Corp after all, she wasn’t sure what to expect, only that an employee was coming to pick her up. It was only a few days ago she gave that number a try on the old payphone near the center of town. Now here she was battling her fight or flight instinct working in the back of her mind. Setting the brush down on the table she sighed and steadied herself. Her ear twitched hearing the familiar hoofsteps of her mother outside her small room.

“Rainbow?... dear?...” The soft voice of her mother spoke just outside.

Sighing she trotted to the door and opened it slowly. “Ya?”

“Sorry sweetie, I just wanted to make sure you were awake.” She smiled faintly. “And to see you off.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “I’m not going away forever mom, it’s just an interview. I’ll be back before it even gets dark.” She took a moment to glance behind her mother. “Where’s dad?”

Windy Whistles frowned shaking her head. “His chest is acting up again, I figured it was best to let him rest.”

“It’s that bad? I thought the inhaler was helping?...” Rainbow looked back at her mother, her face matching her mother’s worry.

“It does usually... the doctor at the clinic says he needs steroids and Pulmonary Rehabilitation therapy.” She moved out of the way. “I made you eggs and toast dear.”

“Well... why haven’t they started him on it yet?” Rainbow quickly made her way to the small card table, grabbing the toast and sunny side up egg messily shoving it into her mouth.

“The free clinic doesn’t have the equipment...” She sniffed. “We’d need to take him to a specialty clinic off the reservation...”

“But that means...” She shook her head. “How much?”

“Without insurance?... at least $2,000, not including the medications...” Windy lowered her head.

“That’s...” Meds were expensive now, she didn’t understand all of it. But apparently, China used to supply a lot of the materials to make most meds. Now without them, it was hard to keep the costs down.

“It’s alright... Bow has been through worse, it’s just a bad day...” Windy tried to put on a brave face. “You just need to focus on your interview.”

Rainbow gave her a look of determination. “Ya... alright... just let me say goodby to dad.” She smiled faintly.

Rainbow tiptoed to her parent's room slowly knocking on the door and listening in. Slowly opening the door she saw her father lying in bed, struggling to breathe as he slept. She sighed sitting down at the side of the bed to watch him quietly. “Hey, dad... I’m going to that interview today...” She smiled softly. “I’ll be back later...” She mentally cursed herself for not having something better to say. Leaning forward she nuzzled his cheek before turning around, but just as she was about to sneak out she felt a tug on her tail.

Turning her head she saw her father's blurry eyes looking at her as he struggled to sit up. Letting go of her tail to cough into his hoof. “Trotter... whatever happens, today... I’m proud of you...” He smiled weakly.

She just nodded her head approaching him again and wrapping her hooves around him for a hug. Squeezing him gently before helping him lay back down in bed. “Just focus on resting dad, when I get back I’ll bring those spicy chips you like.” Smiling he nodded his head as he laid back down, closing his eyes and sighing.

After having said goodby to her sleeping father Rainbow had made her way to the local bus stop. Sitting on the bench waiting a bit impatiently, she never was one to sit and do nothing. Yet it was all she could do until her ride arrived. Leaning back closed her eyes, the stress of it all having made it difficult to sleep last night. As she got comfortable a loud racket woke her back up, it was the somewhat alien sound of an internal combustion engine. Opening her eyes she looked down the round seeing something shiny speeding towards her, a large cloud of dust forming just behind it.

She forced her ears to tilt back against her head as the racket got closer. Eventually, the polished stainless steel-bodied Aston Martin DBR1/300 Kit Car. Though Rainbow didn’t know that, all she saw was some kind of small curvy convertible. The light brown haired driver pulled down his grey bandana revealing a young face. “Rainbow Dash?”

She nodded her head. “Ya, are you the guy they sent from Gillam?” She raised an eyebrow a bit cautious.

“Yep, I’m Sam, huh... your fatter then I thought you would be.” He chuckled seeing her snort in irritation and eyeing her noticeable belly. “Now now, don’t get your tail in a knot I’m only teasing. Hop in.” He motioned to the passenger seat next to him.

Rainbow suppressed her rage, she couldn’t afford to ruin this opportunity because someone made fun of her weight. “Ya ya... no hard feelings...” She made her way over to the opposite side, flapping her wings to climb up into the seat. Once she strapped in the engine started to snarl, before she could react the g-force pressed her into the seat.

“Oh, something wrong?” The young man looked over giving her a knowing smirk before pulling up his bandana.

Rainbow's eyes were widened, unused to moving so fast under another’s power. “Y-ya, never been in a car before... this as fast as it goes?” She asked teasingly.

“Your serious?” He just shook his head incredulously as he rev’d the engine further. The small car tearing down the flattened dirt road.

The young mare just closed her eyes enjoying the feeling of the wind blowing against her. It had been a long time since she had experienced it, making the sound roaring engine bearable. Seeing his passenger was content to quietly enjoy the ride, the driver wisely decided to leave her be. Focusing on the road avoiding the occasional local he just followed suit with enjoyment.
———————————————————-
Rainbow opened her eyes seeing the commercial airstrip approaching in the distance. The car wheels having transitioned to asphalt awhile ago as it started to approach the site. Already she could see humans and other creatures working to load up planes through the high chainlink fence. It was much larger then she thought, with several massive hangers around the main runway. As the car pulled up to the security gate, a bored-looking Minotaur stuck his head out the window of the security shack.

“Morning Sam, that the new hire?” The billowing bovine peered at her, as he leaned out she could see his large revolver attached to his waist.

She gave him a nervous smile, the war having naturally made her uneasy around firearms. “Y-ya, I’m Rainbow Dash.”

He blinked. “Rainbow Dash?... Never heard of ya, anyway good luck with the interview.” He smirked slowly leaning back into the booth and pressing the button.

Once the gate opened Sam slowly pulled his car in, heading to one of the parking spots near the largest hanger. Once they got out the began to walk around the building, Rainbow took this time to eye the aircraft. A DC-3 was being loaded up while a rumbling AN-2/Nanchang was slowly taxing down the strip preparing to take off. Even from the distance she could hear and feel the powerful engines revving. It seemed so long ago that heavier than air flight was something pegasi scoffed at. A hobby for earth ponies and unicorns with little practicality. They never thought a machine could do what they did, at least not nearly as well. She couldn’t help but stare at the roaring craft as the took off with loads that even the burliest teams of pegasi could never hope to lift.

She heard Sam clear his throat, having not realized she had stopped to watch the massive Bi-plane take off into the sky. “Not bad for a rice burner huh?” He chuckled.

“Rice... burner?...” She looked at him confused not getting the joke.

“Mhm, it’s a nickname given to vehicles made in Asia. Usually, Chinese craftsmanship is... dodgy, but they’ve been holding up.” He shook his head. “Come on the boss is waiting.” He motioned to the massive open hanger behind them.

Slipping through the partially opened sliding hangar doors, she took a moment to glance around. She saw a muscled centaur moving a large stack of pallets in a distant corner. He seemed to eye her curiously before going back to work, she couldn’t place her hoof but something was familiar about that black and purple half breed. Turning her attention ahead she briefly glanced upwards, the ceiling looked at least two maybe three stories above her. More than enough room to fly comfortably, with plenty of room to do some tricks. Take away all the loaded pallets, this place could rival Cloudsdale Colosseum in size. Eventually, she saw they were approaching a metal grate stairwell leading up to a loft office built against one of the steel walls. Swallowing her nervousness she looked over to her ride who just nodded his head.

“Don’t worry mister Gillam is fair, just answer his questions truthfully and you’ll do fine.” Sam motioned to the stairs. “He’s expecting you, best not keep him waiting.”

Rainbow just nodded her head climbing up the metal grate steps to reach the large platform. It felt like it took ages to reach the top, looking back she could see Sam giving her a joking thumbs up. Turning her head forward she reached out a hoof and knocked on the green door before her. A few moments passed before she heard a response.

“Come in.” The voice sounded rather curt into the point.

Grabbing the handle and opening it she saw a middle-aged man in a thick flight jacket on the opposite side of the large office. He scarcely looked up from the mountain of paperwork in front of him. Barely glancing at her and motioning with his hand to sit down on the chair in front of him. Once she scampered to the seat and sat down he finally looked up at her for longer than a few seconds.

“So you're the prospective hire Lightning Dust recommended?” He asked occasionally glancing down at his paperwork. Having not even stopped filling it out as he talked.

“Yes, I’m Rainbow Dash.” She suppressed her urge to swallow.

“Hmmm, she says you used to work with a popular pegasi stunt group?” He asked while Rainbow looked confused before realizing what he was talking about.

“Y-yep! I used to do airshows.” Just saying that placed a bad taste in her mouth, the Wonderbolts weren’t just a stunt group. At least not to her, but she wisely decided to keep the name to herself, just to be safe.

“Hmmm.” He looked at her more closely. “Looks like you’ve been out of the game for a while, you sure this is the kinda line of work you want?”

That stung more than she would like to admit, but she gave him a look of determination. “A pegasus never forgets how to fly, they might get a bit rusty, but the abilities still there. They just need a bit of polish.”

“But how much polish? This line of work has a short grace period, our clients don’t take late orders well.” He gave her a serious look sipping his coffee before signing his name on some forms.

“Give me a time frame and I’ll beat it.” She looked at him evenly.

He slammed an ink stamp down on some papers. “Alright, I’ll call your bluff, I’m partnering you up with Sam. You keep pace with Wheezy during the test run, I’ll hire you.”

Rainbow just sat in the chair dumbfounded, not really expecting that. However, seeing she was still there he grunted. “Your still here? Sam's likely going through the flight checks right now and you need to get changed into a flight suit.” He glanced up and pointed to the door.

Eyes widening she slipped off the seat and quickly scampered out of the office. Not wanting to blow the chance Lightning Dust gave her. Now the problem was figuring out where the buck to get one of those orange flight suits. Maybe she could ask someone on the floor about them, hopefully, they have her size...
———————————————————-
She twitched as she made her way out to the tarmac, the outfit was not the right size. But she managed to squeeze it over her flanks and that’s what mattered, her wings were much freer then she thought they would be. Almost better than her old Wonderbolts uniform, shaking her head she looked around for the plane. Soon her eyes settled on a sputtering white and purple AN-2 resting on the runway. Approaching the plane Sam slid open one of the windows and smiled down at her.

“Took you long enough, I almost finished my preflight check without you! I hope you're ready for Stevens Run chubs.” He chuckled seeing her bristle at that comment.

“I didn’t know where the locker room was, nevermind where they kept the clean uniforms...” She grumbled, her wings twitching in irritation.

He gave her a more serious look. “Don’t push yourself, this isn’t a race, a lot of newbies burn themselves out in the first stretch. You have to keep pace with the plane, not outrun it. These AN-2s aren’t known for there speed, so if you remember to stick close and take it easy, you’ll be fine.”

She wasn’t sure how to respond to that, so she nodded her head, but apparently, he wasn’t finished. “You have your radio?”

She shook her head. “Um... no, I didn’t know I needed one, I didn’t see any in the locker room...”

“Come up to the window, I have a spare in case one of the spotter's radios gets buggy.” He dug around the cockpit for a moment before he held out a VHF radio with a throat mic. “There’s a buckled pouch on the right side of your uniform for the radio. Just adjust the cable length till you can move your head easily without the cable wiping you. Make sure the mic is tight against your throat, otherwise you’ll come in all garbled. Then just slip the earbuds into your ears.”

Flapping up she grasped the radio before landing back down. Feeling around her uniform she eventually found the pouch and slipped the radio snuggly into it. Getting the microphone on took longer then she’d like to admit. But she soon got it tight against her throat without choking herself, the cable took about a second to lengthen properly. The earbuds were a bit odd in her ears, but not unbearable.

“How do I look?” Rainbow asked looking upwards.

“Pretty good, just use the straps on the uniform to further secure the cable and you’ll be all set.” She twitched hearing his voice in her head, before realizing it was the radio. He looked back into the cockpit setting down his microphone back near the plane's radio. Seeming to focus on flipping a few switches before pulling it back to his mouth. “Alright, I’m about to start the engine, you might want to step back.”

Rainbow worked her way back to the far side of the aircraft, just a few feet away from the left-wing. The large propeller started to spin while the engine sputtered and gasped. Seeming to struggle to start before a loud deafening bang nearly sent her running. With that, the engine finally seemed to take, with the propeller spinning up rapidly. The powerful gusts of the running engine and propeller almost knocking her over.

“Alright, I’m going to taxi to the runway, think you can follow me?” He asked peaking back out the window as he spoke into his microphone.

“Uh, ya, lead the way,” Rainbow said while backing up a few more steps, not wanting to be run over. The plane lazily rolled forward over the tarmac at scarcely a jogging pace. Nothing that Rainbow couldn’t match easily while maintaining a fair distance from the aircraft.

“Alright, good see you’re a current distance from the plane? I want you to maintain that during this flight, try to avoid getting too close to the plane.”

Rainbow nodded her head before realizing he couldn’t see her. “Alright, let's do this.” She took a deep breath.

“Good luck.” He hummed as he started to bring the engine up to speed before releasing the breaks. The aircraft slowly picking up speed, with Rainbow working into a trot behind it. Seeing it starting to rise off the tarmac she followed suit, sighing in contentment feeling the wind underneath her wings again.

Opening them back up she saw the aircraft pulling a little too far ahead of her. Taking a moment to flap her wings a bit harder to catch up, until she found just the right pace that kept her near the craft, yet wouldn’t exhaust herself. It took a bit longer to get settled but soon enough she was able to enjoy the scenery. The bright blue sky contrasting with the muted browns of the badlands below her. With only the occasional cloud to be seen in the distance. How long had it been since she had flown like this? Months? Years? It was hard to keep track, she always had a terrible sense of time, but it had definitely been a while. Her wings were already feeling fatigued, she definitely didn’t remember needing this much effort to stay airborne.

“You alright newbie?” She was pulled from her thoughts by Sams's voice reverberating in her skull.

“Ya, just been a while... so what’s Stevens Run?” Rainbow asked, still getting used to the microphone attached to her throat.

“See that huge mountain in the distance?” He asked while slowly banking the aircraft a bit to the left until he was facing it head-on.

Squinting her eyes a bit she, saw the massive light brown and white-tipped mountain in the distance. “Y-ya?” It had to be at least 100 miles away, likely more. A few years ago that wouldn’t be an issue, but now? She was already getting winded keeping up with that sputtering plane!

“We just circle it and head on back, the real trouble is the turbulence.” He yawned a bit tiredly into the microphone.

“T-turbulence?” Rainbow sputtered a moment before setting her breathing again.

“It’s known for its powerful up and downdrafts, they come out of nowhere I swear. But they offer a good chance to test planes handling... along with potential spotters.” He chuckled into her ear.

Rainbow was mentally cursing, she was already starting to struggle, now she had to deal with random weather phenomena? “N-no problem! I can handle a little gusty wind!” She was starting to sweat a bit.

“That’s what I like to hear, still give yourself some more room to maneuver. You don’t want to be too close to the plane when we reach Stevens Pass.” He hummed through the speaker.

“U-Understood...” She sputtered out, trying to focus her efforts on flying. Focusing on conserving whatever energy she could for what was to come.
———————————————————-
Rainbow was cursing as she fought the powerful downdrafts working against her. The strength of the winds making her fatigue only that more noticeable. Even Sam seemed to be fighting the winds as-well, the aircraft shaking noticeably as it fought to stay at altitude. With all this going on, she barely had time to so much as glance at the mountain. Though she wasn’t missing anything too impressive just browned grass, the occasional dead tree.

Rainbow gasped and coughed a bit as she struggled to catch her breath. “Are we...” She struggled to get the air needed to continue.

“Don’t worry we’re nearly through, about two thirds, maybe three fourths away through Stevens Pass.” He grunted as he worked the yoke in his hands. The downdraft giving way to a powerful updraft, which was somewhat easier for Rainbow to manage.

“H-huff... t-that's good... W-wait I-I mean!..” She bit down as a powerful gust nearly sent her spiraling skyward.

She heard him chuckle through the headset. “Relax, we're almost through this thing. Once you land back at base you’ll begin training with Smolder in a day or two.”

“T-training?!” She coughed again having inhaled a bit too sharply.

“Well ya, it’s one thing to test out recruits out here in the middle of nowhere, it’s another when we’re out in the field.” He grumbled as the plane was shaken by another powerful gust. “She’ll show you the inflight boarding procedures, along with... nnnf... other daily work activities... loading, unloading, emergency r-response...the other reg’s you’ll have to s-study yourself... they have a booklet for the e-exam!”

“E-exam?!” Rainbow internally moaned, she hated written tests.

“What?... you thought they would let you fly around Lincoln without having you pass a basic flight safety exam?” He laughed a bit. “Don’t worry it’s not too horrible with the booklet, just read the material a few times and you’ll be fine.”

Rainbow wasn’t sure how to respond, but thankfully as they banked slowly to the right she could see the airstrip in the distance. Having finally made their way around the mountain and more importantly through Stevens Pass. Her wings felt ready to give out at any second, the tarmac seeming so far away now. Even just holding them open was proving difficult for the mare. “I-if you say so... S-so h-how did you get into this work?” She asked hoping to get her mind off the pain.

“I got started at FedEx flying cargo, but when the economy tanked I was pink-slipped.” He mumbled. “A lot of guys were pink-slipped. They thought they could make the remaining boys work double sometimes triple shifts without repercussions.”

“S-sounds like there’s a story there...” She presses a bit while working to maintain her latitude.

“Ya, when the economy tanked a lot of airlines tried to cut costs any way they could. So a lot of them fired nearly half their pilots and maintenance staff...” He sighed. “Old-timers lost pensions and left to rot, newbies were kicked to the curb before their careers could start. Don’t even get me started on the maintenance workers. If you weren’t fired they you had your salary cut and hours skyrocket.”

“That sounds bad...” Rainbow thought back to her time at the Cloudsdale Weather Factory. Just one shift working on the vats left her ready to drop.

“Your not wrong, the stress from being so overworked and underpaid. Something was bound to break.” He sniffed seeming to pause.

Rainbow tilted her head to the left, having moved to his 9 o’clock position. Allowing her to just see his face in the cockpit, he just seemed to stare into the distance. An unreadable expression crossing his face as he flew on instinct. “What broke?..” She finally worked up the breath and courage to ask.

“Traverse City happened...” He slowly eased back on the plane's throttle letting her keep pace more easily.

“Traverse City?...” The way he said that made her feel uneasy, it sounded so... solemn.

After a short time, he finally responded. “A 777 fell right out of the sky... an entire elementary school was wiped out, along with several blocks.”

“W-what?! How could a single plane do that?!” She gasped struggling to get her breath back, nearly falling out of the sky.

“What? You think old Wheezy is the biggest cargo hauler out there?” He shook his head. “No no, our planes are fleas compared to what FedEx had in there everyday fleet.”

Rainbow couldn’t help but imagine the size of such ridiculously sized aircraft. “I... I...”

He waited for a moment to see if she would continue. “Engine failure mixed with a pilot who hasn’t a good night's sleep in weeks? It was like a 250,000-pound flaming missile right into Central Grade School.”

“So it was a massive national tragedy... but why does it sound so personal?” She asked picking up on the tone of his voice through the wireless channel.

“He was my Captain before I got laid off, a grumpy son of a bitch. He wasn’t much for conversation, but fly with someone long enough you... get used to their presence.” He mumbles.

“O-oh... what happened after?” She swallows, the landing strip still a ways off.

“When the cameras centered on the still burning tail section of the plane with the FedEx logo for all to see. Well... management spent the next few years going from one courtroom to the next.” He frowned deeply.

“I’m guessing they went under.” It wasn’t much of a question.

He nodded his head. “With most of the upper management facing prison time and the company facing massive multiple lawsuits? That’s an understatement, by the time it was all over their remaining assets were foreclosed on.”

“Foreclosed?” She was unfamiliar with the word.

He seemed to think for a moment. “When you don’t have the cash to settle your debts, the government comes in and sells off your assets.”

“O-Oh... well at least they got what was coming to them, right?” She didn’t sound so sure.

“Ya, along with nearly 200,000 employees who had nothing to do with it all.” He sounded so bitter saying that.

“Well, couldn’t they get work somewhere else?” Rainbow asked, sounding less hopeful from his tone, banking a bit closer to the aircraft.

“When the market tanked, do you know what they started to call Airports?” He looked through the window at her, a serious expression on his face. Seeing she didn’t have an answer he continued. “Graveyards.”

“Graveyards?...” Rainbow felt her throat dry.


“A lot of airports were choked to death by abandoned aircraft and staff. Heh... imagine having just landed your plane and heading to the pilot's lounge for a drink... only to get a call from American Airlines informing you the company’s gone out of business.” He shook his head. “A lot of guys found themselves stranded hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles from home. Maintenance workers pink-slipped in the middle of operations, hell even the airport staff were fucked...”

“But they got home... right?” She couldn’t help but imagine herself stranded so far from home. “I mean, the government had to help them if no one else could!”

“Some did, but with the fuel shortages, and Uncle Sam so strapped for cash. A lot of guys found themselves living at the airports, waiting for their chance to go home.” He looked back ahead. “Being around those rusting planes, so far from home, with little hope of a future... those airports weren’t exactly bursting with optimism.”

“What happened?...” She frowned deeply.

“A lot of pilots... couldn’t take it...” He clutched the yoke a bit too tight, causing his gloves to creak.

“I-I see...” She went silent, what else could she say?

“What about you?” Sam gazed over sadly.

“What about me?...” Rainbow looked back at him taking a moment to flap her wings.

“You have it all over your face, something happened to you...” He stared into her eyes before she pulled a bit ahead.

“Ya... you got me.” Rainbow sighed. “A place I used to work at ended up destroying my hometown.”

“Your hometown?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Ya, Cloudsdale Weather Corp, we used to manufacture weather for Equ-... you know.” She sniffed. “I started working there as a filly...”

“Wait... you mean.” He remembered that newspaper article.

“Ya, I dunno if they realized what they were bombing, maybe if they did they wouldn’t have.” She shook her head. “All those weather patterns stored there, suddenly being released all at once? It was a nightmare! I and my parents managed to shelter in a nearby cave... but being so close..”

“It was like seeing the end of days.” He offered to which she nodded.

“Y-ya... I don’t even know how to describe what happened... it was like a hurricane mixed with the monsoon, then somepony added a heaping hoof-full of twisters!” She shuttered. “Cloudsdale just... ceased to be in just a few seconds and I just.. froze. If my mom didn’t drag me into the cave... I would’ve...” Rainbow took a moment to compose herself.

“That place was the heart and soul of my hometown... so seeing it destroy everything around it... it was just... just” She struggled to focus on flying.

“It broke you... because regardless of what you were doing before the war... the bombing... that place is where you started, where so many of your friends and neighbors built there lives. To have it destroy everything it helped build around it...” He didn’t bother to continue, slowly entering a banking turn.

“Ya...” She followed the aircraft, her eyes widening as she saw the landing strip rapidly approaching. Working her way far behind the aircraft following it down to the tarmac.

Upon landing the fatigue come right back, her legs wobbling as she struggled to make her way off the runway. once she was out of danger she ended up leaning against a disused forklift gasping for air. Closing her eyes she just seemed content to catch her breath, nearly dozing off after awhile. Only to be gently shaken back awake by a leather-gloved hand.

“Hey hey, no falling asleep on the tarmac Skittles.” Sam chuckled a bit looking down at her. “You did good today, let’s get you home.” He started to bend over and before the mare could protest she was lifted up like a sack of potatoes.

“H-hey! I-I can walk myself!” Rainbow stuttered, twitching instinctively against his shoulder.

“With those buckling knees? I doubt you’d make it halfway to the parking lot.” He continued to walk.

“Hmmmf... I’m not helpless...” She mumbled as she relaxed a bit.

“Never said you were, getting a little help never hurts.” He eventually slipped her into the passenger seat before making his way to the opposite side. Once he started the car and started to drive, Rainbow leaned her head against the seat. Within a few moments, the mare was out like a light, the long day having hit her like a train. Sam smiled faintly seeing her sleep, before focusing back on the dark road. “Heh, barely passed, congrats tubby.”

Author's Note:

Still looking for a proofreader/editor if anyone's interested, on another note I'm debating on what to do next. A chapter featuring Scootaloo or one focusing solely on Appleboom, although exploring Spikes first day at school is tempting. As always feel free to recommend characters you all would like to see in later chapters< your recommendations are always helpful.