• Published 9th Jan 2020
  • 10,105 Views, 694 Comments

The Reservation - Kyuubi325



The Conversion War is over, ponies have lost a war caused by their formally beloved leader Celestia. Reservations in the former Equestrian state have been set up, while humans move into the new state of Lincoln.

  • ...
45
 694
 10,105

Big Mac

United States
51st State of Lincoln (formally Equestria)
Pony Reservation 013 (Green Zone)
5:30am

The sound of a cheap alarm clock slowly stirred two siblings sharing a rusty bunk bed. A red foreleg felt around the splintered cable spool serving as a nightstand clumsily before finally tapping it. After a few moments later a large red stallion sat up under the ratty covers slowly turning so his back hooves hanged off the side.

“AJ?......” He yawned smacking his lips nudging the bed above him hearing a familiar grunt. “AJ come on, we got to get ready for work......”

“I’m comin.... I’m comin.......” The orange mare grumbled slowly getting up aswell while Big Mac sighed and stood up.

As his eyes came into focus the alien dwellings came into view. It was a large fall from the inherited homestead they once dwelled in. Cheep wooden floors, pink insulation peaking though gaps in the walls, and dirty single pane windows. All this with only two rooms for the three remaining Apple siblings, with a small wood cook stove that barely kept the place tolerable in the winter. There was little in the way of luxury’s, most of the furniture was ether free off the curb near work or second hand, both of which always had seen better days.

Blinking and rubbing the dust from his eyes he made his way to a splintered table against a nearby wall. A small dollar shop mirror just above the wash basin on it, one of the few heirlooms to survive the war. Big Mac simply stared at the stallion that stared back. He was a far cry from the dashing muscular pony he was a few years ago. Looking more haggard then anything, with deep bags under his sad eyes. He said nothing as he lowered his head splashing water into his face to wash off the dust that seeped into their home regardless of their efforts to keep it out.

Once he had gotten himself mostly clean he gazed down at the basin, the old Apple and gold details had faded on the porcelain bowl. But that was to be expected considering how many generations it had served his family. He had never thought it anything special before... it mostly just sat on a shelf at Sweet Apple Acres for decoration, among other things... the Apple family always had many heirlooms after all. But now? It could very well be the last one for his entire clan, they weren’t even able to save the photo albums or silhouettes of their parents. The basin was simply the first thing he was able to reach before fleeing their home.

For a moment his eyes lost focus remembering the loud explosions and whistles of that day. But the fire.... Just as he started to tremble a familiar orange hoof rested on his shoulder, bare of his lost yoke. “Big Mac?.... it’s alright..... I’m here.....” His sisters voice brought him back to reality.

Looking over the stallion noticed she was as rough looking as he was, even a bit paler then he had remembered. “I’ll go wake Applebloom.....” He mumbled trotting from the basin so she could wash up. Once he reached the cheap varnish door he tapped his hoof against it.

“Applebloom?....... y’all gotta get ready for class......” With no response he pushed the door open, it revealed a rather small room, somewhere around the size of a larger walk-in closet. With a cot in the far left corner just below a small plane glass window where the first rays of sunlight could be seen just shining in.

“Don’t....... wanna.......” The young filly said under the dirty cotton blanket. She simply pulled it further over her head.

Big Mac rolled his eyes, even with everything, some things never changed. He trotted over and pulled the blanket off her. “Now Bloom, y’all need to go to school. There’s some of those Cereal bars you like in the cabinet near the stove. Grab one on you way to school, and wash them cheeks! You need to be presentable for your teacher.” She mumbled getting up from her cot as he left her to get ready.

Once he entered the room he saw AJ had just finished slipping into her brown coveralls and hair net. He would have to do the same.
——————————————
Once he had finished getting dressed he and his sister trotted out of their “temporary emergency shelter”. Seeing other ponies making their way to the bus stop. Looking around the stallion noticed many familiar faces but still fewer then he would like from Ponyville. The surroundings of the settlement doing little to cheer anyponys mood, just sand, dust bowl, and occasional sun bleached cattle skulls around the shelters. He had heard a few ponies talk about putting their green hooves to use, to grow some plants to make it all seem more inviting. But nothing ever came of it, considering how little they got payed at no pony wanted to give up what little they had just for a few trees or even flowers.

The group of ponies continued to trot almost like a slow stampede to a bus stop on the dirt road. In the past ponies would chat near constantly while they waited to take the railed wagons. Now the only thing that could catch his ear was the occasional gust of wind blowing past them. Most seemed to stick close to those they were related too, or had first showed up with. Beyond that most kept quietly to themselves.

“Oh! Big Mac!” A voice approaching from behind spoke up.

Turning his head he looked over to see a caramel coated stallion around his age. “Morn’in, Caramel ready for work?” He drawled out.

“You know it! I just feel that promotion today!” He said cheerily, while the larger stallion seemed to shift uncomfortably. “Just think, me supervisor for production line B3!” He said dreamily.

“Y’all know that position mostly goes to humans..... or ponies with degrees Caramel...... What makes ya so sure their gonna pick you to take over that grump Hershels place?” He said perhaps a bit too gently against the leaner stallions optimism.

“Cause I’ve been hearing them talk about me in HR! Why else would they bring me up?” He nearly dance on his hooves.

“If ya say so..... Bus is here....” He looked over to see the large grey box of a vehicle pull up to the stop. The doors sliding open with a hiss.

An older tanned skinned human in a light white button shirt and black pants spoke. “Birds Eye factory, all aboard.” He said mostly absentmindedly.

Big Mac and his sister were the first few to board along with the cheery Caramel. “Morning Fernando......” He said politely, though the human just grunted as they made their way to an empty seat. Once the bus was packed with colorful equines it started down the road, hitting the occasional pothole. Big Mac simply leaned back and closed his eyes, it was gonna be a long day.
——————————————
After about half an hour of riding on the cramped bus the dirt road gave way to new pavement offering a much smoother ride. Looking out the window he could see newly build neighborhoods, with large houses and yards the likes of which ponies now could only dream about. Even if you could get a permit to live off the reservation ponies were only entitled to 50% of the Federally mandated minimum wage. With most ponies trapped in low skill jobs, the reservation was the only place most could live.

“So Mac today’s payday right?” He looked over to his sister and nodded his head.

“Eeeeeyep....... we better do some shopping before we gotta take the bus home. I hear today Walmart’s have’in a sale, we best stock up.” He said while looking at the rapidly approaching factory in the distance.

“....Appleblooms birthday is coming up......” Applejack said quietly.

“..... We’ll see AJ..... maybe some will be left over.....” Sighed again as a bitter taste filled his mouth.

“You always say that Mac..... we’re getting her a gift and that’s that.” She said evenly, Big Mac only shook his head unwilling to get into an argument.

The bus pulled past the high chain link fences that surrounded the factory eventually coming to a stop in-front of the entrance and check point. A few ponies could already be seen standing in line before the scanner. Once the doors opened ponies started to mill out. Eventually they started to allow ponies though, each time a green light would buzz signaling they were clean.

Occasionally a red light would buzz on the scanner causing some poor pony to be separated from the group for additional vetting. But it was largely just a formality, eventually he and his sister passed through the scanner unmolested. Once past the check point they made their way into the factory.

There was little to talk about inside the steel and concrete walls. Just tall sterile looking walls occasionally broken up by plastic curtains to keep out any contaminates. Taking another breath Big Mac prepared himself for another 10 hour shift packing peas.
——————————————
He held back a yawn as he sorted though the peas occasionally removing a pod that the machine hadn’t removed or a misshapen pea. Applejack was to his side slowly moving her hooves over the conveyor belt removing a brown pea from the seas of green. The work was mindless to the point where the ponies seemed as automated as the machines surrounding them.

Big Mac eventually heard the familiar sound of his manager clearing his throat. To which the stallion slowly turned around to face the partially hunched over older man. “Hey! Pastel Back! Someone’s here to here to talk with you!” He shouted over the loud sounds of the equipment around them.

The crimson stallion ignored the racist nick name. “Huh? Who?” He sounded vaguely annoyed that someone would bother him at work.

“Some 7 limbed purple mutant.” He said rudely rolling his eyes. “Boss is giving her the special treatment and all.”

The orange mare next to him paused for a moment. “It’s her......” Her hoof shook as it moved over the peas in barely contained anger.

“Twilight.......” Big Mac drawled out more passively then his sister but his eyes turned dark. “Sis I’ll be back in a few minutes, think y’all can handle without me?” He asked looking over.

“Your really gonna talk with her? She ain’t never gonna leave us alone then!” She said in a hushed voice to her older brother.

“She ain’t leaving us alone now..... she needs ta hear this from the horses mouth.” He said using the old human expression.

“Ya done? Boss says he wants you in the office to meet the freak.” Hershel grumbled while Mac nodded his head leaving the line.
——————————————
Big Mac stared at the door, he was now in the far corner of the factory with the machines sounds seeming so far away. He could actually hear his own thoughts, which was far from comforting at this moment. Reaching out his hoof he gripped the handle of the faux wood door before opening it. Inside there was little to look at, just white walls, and cheap blue patterned carpet. But sitting at the end of a small fold out table was a familiar purple mare. Radiating a naive friendliness that the stallion hadn’t seen in a pony in years.

“Big Mac it’s been so-“ The mares cheery sentence was cut off with the stallion clearing his throat before sitting opposite of her.

“What do you want Twilight?” The harshness of the stallions tones caused the mare to flinch back as if struck.

“W-what?.... I-I.... don’t understand....” She stuttered back struggling to understand what she had done to deserve such treatment.

“What. Do. You. Want?” The stallion asked slowly, visibly aggravated by her presence.

“Y-you and A-Applejack weren’t answering my messages s-so I t-thought.....” The corners of her eyes started to water.

“Did ya ever think we didn’t want nothin to do with you?” Big Mac growled.

“...B-but....W-why?” She bit her lip.

“Cause ponies on the reservation finally forgot we had anythin ta do with an Alicorn!” He slammed his hooves on the table nearly enough to shatter it. “Ponies are talkin to us again, but now?! You might have just ruined everything for us all over again! You know what it’s like seeing hate filled graffiti on your home every morning? Being forced off the bus, making you to walk though miles of Badlands just to get to work?! Or how about seeing your baby sister run home sobbing cause no foal will give her the time of day, unless they are dunking her face in the latrine!”

“B-Big M-Mac I h-had no i-idea I’ll talk to those p-ponies a-and-” She was interrupted again.

“Read my lips Twilight!” He shouted in her face. “We don’t want no Alicorns help! Your kind have done enough!” He screamed into her face nearly causing her to fall backwards.

“B-but we have to s-start rebuilding E-Equestria.... I-I can’t do it alone.... I need my friends.....” She was visibly crying now tears streaming down the sides of her face.

“Equestria’s dead Twilight..... it died when your beloved mentor started that damn war!” He yelled at her.

“I-I know she m-made m-mistakes, b-but I-I had n-noth-“

“And because of her mistakes she used scorched earth to burn down our farm!” He visibly quaked the trauma coming all back to him. “The guard didn’t even warn us, they just tossed the torches onto our farmhouse and dumped pitch on our fields....... I-I couldn’t get to granny i-in time...... with all the smoke...... she died not knowing what was going on...... when I dragged her out...... the last thing she saw was her home burning to the ground.....” His eyes seemed to glass over as he shook.

Twilight slowly reached out a hoof, resting it on his shoulder. “M-Mac...... I’m sorry..... I-I didn’t-“ She was rebuffed by a hoof smack to the face sending her to the ground.

“Read my lips Sparkle, your dead to the Apple Family.” He said evenly slowly standing up from his seat. “If you really wanna help us....... get as far from us as you possibly can....... now if you excuse me..... I have to work over time to make up for our little meeting.” He trotted out slamming the door behind him leaving the broken mare to wallow in heart break.

Author's Note:

So I’m looking for a proof reader for my new story. I’m taking a small break from “Rise of an Empire, Fall of Another”. Feel free to comment about what ponies you want to see in this series, I’m always open to ideas.