• Published 9th Jan 2020
  • 10,046 Views, 692 Comments

The Reservation - Kyuubi325



The Conversion War is over, ponies have lost a war caused by their formally beloved leader Celestia. Reservations in the former Equestrian state have been set up, while humans move into the new state of Lincoln.

  • ...
45
 692
 10,046

Twilight Sparkle (part 2)

State of Lincoln
United Equestrian Reservation
Administrator's House.
10:37 AM

Twilight sighed sipping her coffee while reading through her mail. Occasionally tossing a credit card offer or a scam into her trash bin. Eventually, she saw something that caught her eye, a letter from the Carson County School District. Biting her lip in anticipation she slowly opened the envelope with her magic and pulled out the letter. Her eyes quickly darted over it with a blank expression on her face. “Spike? Come in here please...”

The soft pattering of little scaled paws reached her sensitive ears before the purple drake entered her office. Having to tiptoe over several different papers skewed over the floor before he stood in front of his guardian's desk. “What is it Twilight?” He eyed the papers she was holding in her magic.

“Come here please Spike...” She asked motioning to the other side of the desk, where she was currently sitting.

He looked nervous as if he was expecting to be in trouble. But obeyed eventually standing in front of the sitting mare. “O-ok?....”

Before he could respond the mare leaned forward and pulled the small dragon into a smothering hug against her barrel. After smothering the poor kid against her for a few minutes, before finally letting him breathe. “You start in a week at Samuel Morse Elementary, we are gonna go get you school supplies today.” She ruffled his head spines smiling gently.

Spike just stood there in disbelief. “I-I can go to school?... r-real school?!” His chubby tail wagged almost like a dog as he looked up with wide eyes.

“Mhm, I expect you to be on your best behavior.” Said while he nodded in understanding.

“I promise Twilight.” He said while Twilight started to get up from her chair and stretch.

“Good, I’m going to call the driver to take us out to Walmart to pick up some things. I’m not about to send you to school unprepared.” Taking a moment to stretch once standing on all four hooves she started to make her way to her charging android dialing the number. “Hello?... Yes, can you bring the car around? I need to go shopping for Spike... Thank you...”
While the two were waiting for a firm knocking was heard from the front door. Twilight raised an eyebrow slowly making her way to the door. “Wow that was-“

Instead of the driver, standing right on her porch was a very familiar blue unicorn in an almost vintage looking blue 1920s secretary outfit, complete with a narrow brimmed hat slightly tilted to the side on her mane. A neutral expression on her face as she stared blankly at the rather confused Alicorn mare. “Head Administrator Sparkle...” She said in greeting, rather hollowly to her.

“Trixie? What are you doing here?” She started to think before her memory came back. “Oh! The survey and commitment documents!” She mentally chastised herself for forgetting about such an important meeting.

“Yes... Is something wrong?” Trixie raised an eyebrow at the purple mare.

“I was going to take Spike to get some school supplies.” Twilight responded, not quite understanding Trixie curt but distant tone.

“I see no reason we couldn’t work out the details of the documents during or after an outing.” Trixie shrugged nonchalantly at her.

“Alright?...” Twilight seemed unsure but it was nice that Trixie was being flexible. Spike had only just started to peak around her flanks to see the newcomer.

“Hello, Spike...” Trixie said in a marginally more friendly tone, just as the car pulled up the driveway. “I’m guessing that’s your ride?”

“Uh-huh...” Twilight nodded he head still dumbfounded by her presence.

“Let’s not keep them waiting, Miss Sparkle.” She said motioning to the waiting car.
———————————————————-
The drive to the Walmart just outside the reservation was short and uncomfortably quiet. Twilight and Spike sat together on the left side of the car, while the blue mare sat on the far right. Looking ahead while resting her forehooves on her skirt. Eventually, the car pulled up to the front of the Walmart, the driver quickly stepped out and opened the door for them. Nodding his head to the trio as they disembarked from the car.

“Call me when you're ready to be picked up.” He said with a faint Chinese accent, while Twilight nodded her head.

“Thank you Jun, I will, but it should take a while for us to finish our shopping. Feel free to get yourself something to eat. Theirs no sense in waiting around in the car for over an hour.” She said smiling gently to which he nodded slipping back into the car and drove off.

Trixie made a sound that almost sounded like a suppressed scoff. “So progressive...” She mumbled sarcastically, obviously not thinking Twilight would hear her.

Twilight frowned faintly but said nothing, while Spike didn’t seem to notice too excited about getting to do some school shopping. “Well... let's start with a backpack... once we have that Spike we can make our way to the other school supplies to see what will work with it.” She said putting a smile on her face, she wasn’t about to ruin this for her little dragon.

Making their way inside a few ponies seemed to look up and eye the former princess. Those making their way out gave Twilight a wide birth, more focused on her than anyone she was with. Likely out of some prehistoric instinct that had never quite gone away. Luckily the megastore was mostly deserted at the time, with most ponies and people currently at work or school. For that Twilight was thankful, the fewer ponies who saw her with Spike, the better.

Making their way to the back section of the store they finally spotted the themed child backpacks. “Oh wow! Pokemon!” Spike dashed off, as mature as he could act at times, he was still a child after all.

Twilight took a bit of time to watch him look over the nearly countless bags. She then looked over at Trixie who watched him with a faint smile on her face. “Trixie... I want to thank you for helping m-“ She paused mid-sentence while Trixie raised her hoof.

“I’m not doing this for you Sparkle... I’m doing it for the ponies on the reservation... who don’t have a state-paid stipend.” She said with just a bit of bitterness under her breath. But a look of determination formed on her muzzle. “For that, I can look past my... strong feelings about you... to make sure they all get a better life... I don’t want your friendship... ever, all I need from you is a professional relationship... nothing else... do we have an understanding?”

Twilight sighed and nodded her head. “Yes, we have an understanding... Thank you... for their sakes.” She watched Spike seemingly inspecting two backpacks, almost as if he was inspecting a gem.

“He doesn’t know does he?...” Trixie watched him place down one bag and grab another to inspect.

“Know what?...” Twilight tried to play dumb, but a hole in her heart was forming.

“Oh, I don’t know... what dear old Celestia was doing to dragons not lucky enough to have a purple Alicorn as a frie-“ Trixie was interrupted by Twilight covering her mouth with her hoof.

“P-please not here... not for me... for Spike... I promise you can chew me out... tear me down... all you like...as long as Spike doesn’t see... please this is a special day for him... don’t ruin it for him because of.... of me...” Twilight sniffed, small tears forming on the corners of her eyes.

Trixie looked back at Spike seeing him smiling wide at a particular Pokémon Mystery Dungeon themed backpack. With a blank look on her face, she nodded her head. “He’s the only innocent one out of the three of us... for Spike...” She nodded her head a second time to which Twilight tilted her head more thoughtfully, after wiping away the tears.

“Twilight! I want this one!” He smiled waddling over to her and holding up the bag. Twilight slowly looked it over and nodded her head.

“It very nice! I know how much you like that series.” She gave him a wide grin and nuzzled him out of the blue to comfort herself. All while the poor drake squirmed childishly.

“Twwwwiiiiiiilight..... not in public!” He blushed feeling flustered once she let him pull away.

“Alright, how about we go pick out a lunch box.” She smiled softly down at him while they slowly made their way to the lunchbox aisle.

Watching him rush off to look over the lunch boxes Trixie's frown deepened. “Are you sure it’s a good idea to send him to school? It might be like tossing a foal into a hornet's nest...” She sighed developing a more sympathetic look on her face while she watched Spike attempt to find a matching lunch box and thermos.

“What am I supposed to do Trixie?... Keep him locked up in my house for the rest of his life?... Isolated from the world?...” Twilight shook her head. “No child deserves that... he deserves to have real friends...”

Trixie shook her head. “Will anyone give him a chance?” Watching him nod his head looking at a Pokémon themed thermos that came with a spork.

“...I don’t know... but I have to believe... someone will give him a chance...” Twilight watched him look over the large bento lunchboxes. “For his sake...”

“Why?...” Trixie asked more than a bit curious now.

“... After everything... I realized what Spike meant to me... and that I wasn’t treating him fairly...” Seeing Trixie raise her eyebrow again she continued. “...I hatched Spike during one of my magic surges... I was the first thing he saw... as a filly I would let him snuggle against me while I studied... I’m his... mom... at least the closest he has....” Twilight lowered her head down to stare at the dirty linoleum. “But for much of his life... I never thought about it... he was just my assistant...”

“I always wondered why you had a dragon in your castle...” Trixie seemed to think about it more thoughtfully as she looked at the dragon.

“Spike is my son... the closest I’ll ever have... don’t give me that look... I know how you see me... I see that look in everypony eyes... Nevermind everycreature...” Twilight sighed sadly. “Suitors won’t be coming to knock on my door now... or ever.”

Spike ran back over showing the microwave-safe bento shaped like a large Pokeball. “This one steams the food in the microwave! So it’s heated evenly! There’s even a cookbook that comes with it! Half off!” He wagged his chubby tail showing her the attached cookbook with more than a few simple and cute recipes for the lunch box.

“Hmmm... well I guess we’ll just have to buy it! It matches your bag after all.” Twilight said looking it over, finding the recipes and the designs for them rather cute. “You sure you can make these? They seem awfully complicated, just look at this Snorlax bowl.” She said jokingly.

“Come on Twilight I’ve been cooking for you since I could talk!” He giggled.

“I know Spike.” She hummed gently at the drake. “Now let's get the other essentials... let’s see...” Twilight tapped her chin in thought. “A pencil box, crayons, colored pencils...” Twilight continued to list off the essentials as they made their way to the office supplies together. Trixie deep in thought while following them.
———————————————————-
The trip to Walmart concluded without incident, with the drive back being a bit more comfortable. Spike just couldn’t help but chat excitedly about his new school supplies on their way home. Twilight enjoyed it, Trixie's expression remained neutral though this time around she kept a faint smile on her face. Eventually, the car arrived at the house and the trio made their way inside.

“Spike why don’t you go to play on your Switch 2.” Twilight smiled looking down at the drake wearing his new backpack. “Me and Trixie have to go out and handle some things.”

“Alright, Twilight.” Spike nodded heading to his bedroom to play.

The two mares watched him go before making their way back outside to the yard. It wasn’t much just a bit of grass with some cheap patio furniture. Once they got far enough from the house Trixie finally spoke up. “You know he’s going to find out what Celestia was doing to nonponies...”

“I know...” Twilights throat seemed to dry while he swallowed looking over the cool desert beyond her property line. She didn’t even try to deny it.

“So you admit you didn’t tell him....” Trixie raised an eyebrow again while she adjusted her flat-brimmed hat.

“No... I didn’t...” Twilight admitted while they both looked forward.

“You know when he finds out what she was do-“ Trixie was interrupted.

“There’s every chance in the world he will hate me...” Twilight lowered her head slowly, tears leaking out. “That while the two of us were enjoying lavish meals with the Devil... his friends like Smolder and Garbel were trapped in a living hell... because I was complacent in not knowing...”

Trixie nodded, despite what her boss had told her, she still couldn’t believe one could be so purposely obvious. But she knew better than to call bullspit with her client in this emotional state... despite every ache in her heart telling her too, she had made a promise to her boss, and she would keep it. “Why haven’t you told him yourself? Does he really have to learn about it in a textbook?...”

“You don’t think I’ve tried Trixie? I have, but whenever I’ve convinced myself I can do it... He looks at me... and I think... just one more day... then I’ll tell him...” She sniffed. “I’m not strong enough to tell him...”

The two stayed silent for a while before Trixie spoke up. “It’s going to destroy him you know... if you're telling the truth... and he really doesn’t know how bad things got....” Trixie didn’t continue they both knew.

“It will likely destroy our current relationship... I... even if by some miracle he doesn’t blame me... he likely will need time to...to...” Twilight was visibly crying now, Trixie was dumbfounded, though she didn’t show it outwardly.

Trixie sighed rubbing the Alicorns back, she didn’t know what else to do. This wasn’t the mare she was expecting. She just sat their next to her, waiting until she had let it all out. For how long, it was difficult to say, but neither one spoke for a while. There just wasn’t much else to say, so they waited.

Eventually, Twilight sniffed and pulled away. “Thanks, Trixie...” She shook her head pulling herself together.

“Don’t mention it Sparkle...” She said returning back to the professional attitude.

“We should start working on those forms... I’d like to get them filled out tonight... then maybe tomorrow you could see if you could get any signatures?...” Twilight asked a bit shakily but a look of determination on her face.

“Yes... I believe that’s doable... you were wanting a petition and some commitment contracts?” Trixie started to do some estimates in her head.

“Yes... I’ve thought it over and I think that some colorful succulents would be a good start...” She said while Trixie took mental notes.

“Succulents, why?” She gave her a cockeyed look, familiar with the plants, but wondering why.

“More adapted time our environment, and they require less maintenance.” Twilight rapper her chin. “I was also wondering if you could post some advertisements for the Peace Bank?”

Trixie nodded her head, it made sense. “What’s the Peace Bank?”

“They specialize in nonprofit micro and small loans for developing communities and countries,” Twilight said almost like she had memorized it. “They are setting up a few branches here on the reservation, in hopes some ponies can start businesses and build credit, without the threat of predatory loans.”

“Ah... Will ponies actually take it though?...” Trixie seemed to think. “The war and drastic changes to the surrounding economy made a lot of cutie marks... obsolete...”

“Well, I have hope for m...” She shook her head chastising herself mentally. “Sorry, I have hope for ponies, some have managed to adapt... Spitfire was the Captain of the Wonderbolts, and head of the Academy, now she owns the most successful and admittedly only bar on the reservation. That’s quite a change from her cutie mark...”

Trixie nodded her head. “That’s true, I’ve seen and heard of that place a few times. For better or worse, business is booming there...” She still seemed unsure about how much it would change. “But what kind of businesses could ponies hope to open here? The reservation has zero natural resources...”

Twilight nodded her head. “With all the mining and manufacturing going on around us... it’s easy to forget there are other types of businesses... I don’t know what sorts of business ponies will open... if any... but I’d rather give them a chance....” Trixie nodded as the two of them headed to the house, they had a lot of work to do tonight.
———————————————————-
Trixie yawned having fallen asleep on the dark green couch in Twilights living room after they finished typing up the documents. She couldn’t even remember when they had finished and retired to sleep, only that it had started to get light outside when they did so. Stretching a bit she slowly rolled off the couch onto her hooves, trotting over to the sink she grabbed an empty glass. While she waited for it to fill with the precious water, she heard the familiar hoofsteps of Twilight.

“You can use the guest bathroom to clean yourself up before you head out Trixie... there's some shampoo and conditioner in there I think...” Twilight said while Trixie started to drink the cool water. Once she finished she spoke up.

“Thanks... do you have an iron I can use to straighten out my outfit first?” Trixie mumbled sleepily while Twilight nodded.

“Yes... Check the laundry room next to the bathroom. It might be a bit dusty though, we don’t use it much.” Twilight responded quietly heading over to the coffee maker and getting it started.

Trixie just silently made her way to the bathroom, eventually shutting the door behind her. For about 15 minutes the sound of running water could be heard. After a time they blue mare walked out wearing a towel, with her wrinkled outfit on her back making her way into the disused laundry room. The sounds of a steaming hot iron could be heard as it worked its way over the fabric. Meanwhile Twilight busied herself with her freshly brewed coffee, adding in a bit of creamer and sugar before sipping it while leaning against the counter.

“Administrator Sparkle....” Trixie mumbled a bit, having just slipped into her perfectly pressed outfit. “The printing seems to have finished... I’ll staple them, and start pounding the sands to see if any ponies can be bothered to sign up....” She stretched again, apparently the couch doing her lower back no favors.

“Thank you, Trixie... do you have a ride to the settlements?” Twilight asked which Trixie nodded in response.

“I do... having me show up in your car would likely be counter-productive for what I’m doing.” She gave her a tired deadpan to which Twilight sadly nodded. “Even then, I’ll likely have them drop me outside the settlements to avoid any rash assumptions.”

“Alright... hopefully you’ll be successful...” Twilight said following Trixie to the front door to see her off. Once she had slipped into the car, Twilight closed the door again. She had some paperwork that needed to be completed for Spikes transfer into Samuel Morse Elementary after all.

Author's Note:

So here we have a little update with Twilight, on another note I'm thinking my next chapter will focus on a colt, especially one who is not often seen in these kinds of stories. After that, I will move onto one of the ponies that was requested by my readers.