• Published 9th Jan 2020
  • 10,067 Views, 694 Comments

The Reservation - Kyuubi325



The Conversion War is over, ponies have lost a war caused by their formally beloved leader Celestia. Reservations in the former Equestrian state have been set up, while humans move into the new state of Lincoln.

  • ...
45
 694
 10,067

Governor Brousseau (part 2)

United States of America
Washington D.C.
Capital Building
11:36 AM

“Jimmy Gomez of the 34th congressional district of California you have the floor.” An older man with a faint Texan accent spoke into the microphone.

Jimmy Gomez nodded his head and raised himself, the trying times of his home state showing on his appearance. Wisps of silver hair having appeared in his hair during the last few years. “Members of Congress, for the last few years you have all flooded funding into the newest fledgling state of the Union. While the returns have been more than generous, this single-mindedness has left California and other west coast states to rot. In the last few years, my state’s population alone has dropped by just over 40%, due to damaged infrastructure and lack of economic opportunity.” He inhaled before continuing. “With the latest amendment to our countries constitution, we also are limited financially by the Balanced Budget Amendment. As we speak, we are operating skeleton crews for our public services, we need an influx of capital or things will continue to degrade.”

The congressman around him whispered before someone finally rose. A younger gentleman representing the 30th congressional district of Texas. “May we remind you that the Balanced Budget Amendment was passed in response to the economic crisis caused by your states Black Budget. Which was used to hide the states worsening financial position since 2008? Allowing states to borrow money frivolously, be it from the Federal Government, or foreign powers to cover shortfalls caused that catastrophe.” He said while many of the politicians nodded their heads solemnly, remembering the almost Greek-like financial scandal.

“California is quickly becoming the state equivalent of Detroit! Much of LA still remains in shambles from the tectonic activity and tsunami caused by Convergence Day. Even areas that were once economic powerhouses like Silicon Valley have become crumbling ghost towns.” Gomez was struggling not to sound like he was pleading. “I won’t excuse the underhanded nature of my state's financial dealings. But need I remind you all, we weren’t the only ones fibbing about our debts.”

Near the back of the congressional hall, the young Governor of Lincoln watched the political theater play before him. As heated arguments on the floor started to break out between the red state congressmen and the increasingly purple state congressmen. It was no secret Convergence Day had not hit all 50 states equally. But the economic crisis that had been unleashed by Chinas manufacturing issues and subsequent economic bubble burst had sent shockwaves through the United States long before. Everything from agriculture futures to public sector pension funds was effected, blame was pointed in all directions. But the leak of state Black Budgets offered something to blame for the financial woes of the country. Despite many people Red or Blue voting on things that helped add to their state’s deficits. Shaking his head he let out a silent yawn, normally he wouldn’t be so far from his office. But he was asked to give a speech in Washington, so here he was. Eventually, the argument died down, thankfully before it became an actual shouting match. The congressional discussions were slowly moved to more mundane things such as revised state water rights and changes to agricultural subsidies.

The discussions eventually moved to more pressing diplomatic issues. Which made it all a bit more interesting thankfully. “The current situation in the EU has left our ally Great Britain cut off the mainland. As we speak many of their people are tearing up their lawns to grow victory gardens to feed themselves. Our current aid to the country is not sufficient to support their nutritional or energy requirements. We must commit more to help them starve off catastrophe.” A young woman in her early 30s spoke the speaker nodded. Allowing the motion to move forward and be voted on, passing unanimously.

Things slowly died down as it came time for lunch, the young governor already thinking about what to have. Making his way out of the hall he milled his way through the crowd of people from across the US. Sadly his thoughts of lunch were interrupted by his phone buzzing, struggling to find it on his person. It was soon found and pulled out, after which he stared at the screen, his eyes briefly raising. It was the Japanese embassy, pressing answer he brought it to his ear.

“Governor Brousseau?” An accented voice asked on the other end of the line.

Pulling into a relatively empty hall he answered. “Yes?”

“Her Imperial Highness Princess Toshi has asked that I formally invite you to lunch at The Inn at Little Washington. Will you attend?” They asked sounding rather formal if a bit dry.

It was about an hour away, but Japan was an important if battered trading partner and ally. “I would be honored to attend, though it will take an hour to get there from the capital, is that acceptable?”

He waited a few moments before hearing the voice on the other end again. “Her Imperial Highness says that is acceptable.” They responded, curt as ever.

He sighed thanking the interpreter as he made his way outside and called his driver. It was going to be a long drive but Japan's purchases of ships alone made the lunch unavoidable. Once the black Mercedes Maybach pulled up he squished slipped into the back seat. Leaning back he closed his eyes for a moment, deciding to rest during the trip. The hours of listening to motions and opening arguments exhausting him.
———————————————————-
“Governor Brousseau?.. we will arrive in 10 minutes...” The drive spoke looking back at the governor through the rearview mirror.

The young governor yawned and stretched a moment. Pulling out a mirror he straitened out his blonde hair and checked his suit for imperfections. Finishing just in time as the car pulled up to the plantation estate styled hotel and restaurant. Looking out the windows he could see the Imperial Guard stationed around the building, armed with everything from M4s to Sumitomo MINIMI machine guns. Even on the roof, he could see a sniper with an M24, likely scoping out the area. With China growing increasingly belligerent, they weren’t willing to take risks even while being this close to the US capital. Their new revitalized political importance made them targets for less... agreeable elements in China.

The car came to a stop with the door opened by one of the Imperial Guards. Nodding his head respectfully as he stepped out. It was strange, normally this place would be packed with the wealthy and powerful alike, yet it was deserted with respect to the security. She must have rented the entire place out, it was the only explanation he could think of. They briefly frisked him for weapons and inspected him closely to ensure her safety before one led him inside. He glanced at the vintage style decor, making him feel as if he had traveled back in time to the 1800s.

When he entered the main dining room, he took a moment to glance up at the ordinate tray ceilings. Before he saw the solitary table and more importantly who was waiting at it. Princess Toshi, wearing a brightly colored Jūnihitoe, signaling this was not a social meeting, but a matter of great political importance. As he got closer two of the Guards pulled their respective chairs out. Allowing the two of them to take their seats quietly, with the guards taking their respective positions in the far corners of the room.

A waiter brought the menus to the table, seeing the princess grasp and look it over he followed suit. His eyes gazed over the menu before settling on the ”Pot Au Feu” of Lamb Loin with Lamb Sausage, Roasted Bell Peppers, and Gremolata. The Princess meanwhile decided on the Crispy Napoleon of Chilled Maine Lobster with Imperial Osetra Caviar in a Pool of Spicy Bloody Mary Coulis. Once the waiter took the orders they two sat in silence a bit awkwardly.

Soon the princess spoke. “I am thankful you accepted my invitation. I have much I had hoped to discuss with you.” She said with gentle but practiced precision.

“I thank you for the invitation, I have never been to this place myself.” He smiled neutrally. “May I ask what you wished to talk about?”

“We have a considerable population of unemployed professionals in Japan. I had hoped to talk about streamlining the Visa process for Japanese workers.” She said while their food arrived taking a moment to enjoy the wonderful smells.

“I’m sympathetic but I'm only a governor, Visas are largely handled by the US Department of State.” He eyed the food, the lamb looked mouth-watering but he waited for her to take the first bite.

“I understand that, but your words have considerable weight. Lincoln is America’s golden goose, as it’s governor they listen to you.” She started to slip her fork into the lobster dish bringing it to her mouth, taking a moment to savor the flavor.

“You give me too much credit.” He said while cutting into his meal, sighing faintly as he enjoyed the taste.

“No, they don’t give you enough.” She looked up from her meal. “You have set the groundwork for this new state, working to set up infrastructure, education systems, and numerous programs, with the goal of making it a new Mecca.” She sipped her drink daintily. “Many claim to do such things, fewer ever make good on their promises.”

“You flatter me, I’ll see what I can do to speed up the visa process, I take from the venue there was something else that needed to be discussed.” He nodded his head as he cut into the lamb.

“Indeed... With China continuing to probe our waters the Emperor feels that keeping the entirety of the Imperial House in Japan is a threat to our current stability.” She takes another bite of her Crispy Napoleon of Chilled Maine Lobster.

“He doesn’t want to have all his eggs in a single basket.” He said using the cliché expression. “I take you already have a place in mind?”

“Yes, my double will remain in Virginia until further notice.” She said, much to the confusion of her guest.

“Your double?” He raised an eyebrow, curious. She just smiled faintly as she continued to eat, the Governor slowly realizing where she would be. “I take we have much more to discuss then...”
———————————————————-
The drive back to the capital was uneventful, the young Governor in deep thought about what had been discussed. He silently sat in the back on the congressional chambers pretending to listen to the opening arguments. This time about taking sides in the civil war in the EU.

“America has stuck its nose in enough conflicts to know that intervention rarely goes well. Do to the members of this union wish to be pulled into another costly war?” Alan Salvar of Texas 15th congressional district.

Dan Crenshaw of the 2nd Texas congressional district rose to the floor. “The Anti EU forces are fighting a war of independence, their members have long been overlooked by the Brussels bureaucracy. Now during these trying economic times, they are told to sacrifice for the good of the EU, when they have nothing left to give. When they asked to leave they were rebuffed with the threat of Leopards and Leclerc's rolling down their streets.” Crenshaw looked around the chambers. “We are seeing history repeat itself in Europe, must we repeat the mistakes we made last time it was set ablaze?”

Raúl Grijalva of Arizona’s 3rd district spoke up. “Crenshaw while I understand the sentiment, surely you don’t think now is a good time for us to get involved. Our economy is still recovering from the Depression caused by China’s economic collapse, never mind the beating our western coasts took. I don’t believe our economic footing is solid enough to switch back to wartime production.”

Michael Waltz of Florida’s 6th congressional district then spoke. “So what? Are we to leave the entirety of the Nordics, Poland, Hungary, Italy, the Czech Republic, and so many others to twist in the wind. All who were attacked by France and Germany along with their allies, when they rejected the Merkel Scheme.”

Kathleen Rice of New York’s 4th congressional district was quick to follow. “It should not be our place to judge, the European Union was placed in dire straits from Chinas collapse and the middle east oil crisis. Redistribution of wealth might have been their only option to save their two most important economies.”

“So they should have rolled over because another country demanded it. Sounds awfully familiar, appeasement never works in these situations. You should open a history book, Miss Rice, I feel that you might have forgotten it.” A young representative from Missouri spoke. “Germany and France wanted to hollow out the less politically powerful EU member states to prop up their own crumbling economies. This scheme was doomed to fail from the get-go, as they are making products no one buys, all just to keep their worker unions appeased. Nevermind, the grain seizure that's borderline theft!”

“People were starving across Europe! The lack of pesticides caused a locust swarm!” A young female representative from New York screamed. “Would you rather have left them all to die?”

Crenshaw looked unamused. “That seizure only changed who suffered, you know what happened in Poland? Their fields were stripped clean by EU forces when they asked for some back to feed their people you know how long it took it to get a response?” He looked evenly at the young woman. “Months, it took months for Brussels to even acknowledge such a thing happened!”

“Even then they scarcely got crumbs to feed their people, as France and Germany prioritized feeding their workers. With a few bones tossed to the likes of Luxembourg and Belgium to keep their allies placated.” Waltz spoke shaking his head. “We should at least look into sending aid to those countries fighting the EU forces.”

“Aid? You mean weapons!” Salvar accused. “One does not add gasoline to fire to put it out! We can’t take sides in this conflict, while the EU forces actions can be considered questionable, need I remind you all just a little over a decade ago they were a close ally!”

“It’s funny how those usually said to be close ally’s tend to turn on us. Perhaps we should be more selective with who our friends are.” A young male representative from Utah said absentmindedly. “The EU elite had no issue insulting our union when were supposedly still ally’s.”

Rice turned to them. “International Politics is a complicated game, sometimes countries have to learn to develop a thicker skin.”

“Unless their middle eastern and have a little oil.” Another young New Republican from eastern Washington spoke rolling her eyes. “Then we’re supposed to bend over backward to appease them.”

“We are not here to talk about the mistakes of the past. We are here to discuss what action if any should be taken with the European Situation.” Grijalva spoke rubbing the bridge of his nose. “We shouldn’t stick our noses in every conflict around the globe. We attempted that before with a far stronger and more stable economy and still were bankrupting ourselves try to police others.”

“Which is why I am pushing for the Lend-Lease Act.” Crenshaw spoke with a clear but calm voice. “You are correct Miss Rice International Politics is complicated, but it helps when both sides are on equal footing. Right now the Anti-EU forces are at a disadvantage in terms of military hardware. However, if we fill the gap, we can push the EU forces to the table to negotiate.”

“While making arms companies a generous profit!” Rice accused.

“If you had bothered to read the Act you would know that the interest for the program will only be 1.5% above inflation. I would hardly call that a generous profit.” Crenshaw shook his head.

The arguments continued, but with the Lend-Lease Act having majority support from the New and old Republicans, the debate on the floor was largely out of tradition. With a supermajority in Congress and the Senate, the most Democratic representatives could do was voice their disapproval. The act was voted on and passed easily though it was doubtful this would be the end of it. Eventually, things moved onto less heated topics such as the continued divestment of agricultural subsidies and rail transport.

The more light-hearted debate pulled his governor into a false sense of security before she felt a gentle tap on his shoulder. Pulled out of his thoughts he saw on of the aids motioning to him it was almost time for his speech. Sighing he slowly worked his way to his feet, just in time as they finished the debate about tax cuts for struggling transport industries. Once the Speaker had ensured the debates had concluded they leaned forward to the microphone. “I now ask members of this congress to turn their attention to governor Brousseau.”

The young governor slowly made his way to the podium, once he had taken his place he looked over the Congress. Looks ranging from envy to suspicion covered the surrounding faces. He took a deep breath and began to speak into the microphone. “I know times are hard, and they are not helped by the fact the benefits of my state are not spread equally among you all. Others are suspicious of me because they feel I am too soft on the Equestrian remnant, others feel I was too harsh with my support of the Equestrian Reservation Act.” He sighed for a moment to collect himself.

“The most difficult lesson to teach our children is not what happened in history, but why. When the peace negotiations were sabotaged by Royal Guard Zealots I don’t think I have to remind you all what happened afterward.” He looked around the room. “Even after the hell, they put us and so many others through we offered them the chance to keep some semblance of a nation. With a surrender not unlike what we had offered Japan nearly a century ago. The moment those potion bombs went off during the signing, so did any hope of an Equestrian State. The people after seeing the generous offer rebuffed so violently would never tolerate an Equestrian state. Especially when rumors of its riches reached American ears, such desperately needed resources could never be in the hooves of a formally hostile state.” Taking a moment to collect his breath.

“With them so universally hated, forcing the new colonists to live among them wasn’t an option. Neither were the more radical options a few in this in this room would like us all to forget...The reservations weren’t the best option, they were the only option.” He gazed around the room. “The American people needed time to heal and the Equestrian Remnant needed a place to shelter away from the misaimed wrath of hurting Americans.”

“I won’t pretend those of us who voted for them won't be looked upon harshly by historians and college students alike. I can only hope they look at the situation we were placed in and see we had few options that could prevent further bloodshed.” Shaking his head he clutched the podium. “Even now many of us continue to feel its effects, the western coast states were devastated by the violent tectonic activity, vast stretches of their metropolises long since washed out to sea by the resulting tsunami. So many lives lost, long before the war even started...” He shook his head solemnly.

“But that wasn’t what brought our wrath, it was because for a brief moment, everything we are, everything we’ve accomplished was put under threat by a mad mare with a god complex. Newfoals... a title that will live on in infamy, crude parody’s of life, that she had hoped to mutate us into. Creatures whose blind obedience and reverence to the solar tyrant was only matched by there extreme misanthropy. When those bombs went off at their embassy’s and numerous consulates we suddenly had massive invading forces in the center of our cities. Newfoals had no empathy, self-determination, or concept of surrender... if they couldn’t convert you, they would kill you. The results of those terror attacks left deep-seated scars in our people. For weeks the American mainland and many of our allies were in disarray, but we pulled ourselves together with help from an unlikely source. Many of us in the past looked at militia groups as something to joke about, that they were paranoid tin pot wearing men playing soldier... Yet when things turned to hell, they were the ones protecting their home towns, keeping power on, rationing food, keeping people calm, long before our national guard could be mobilized.” He inhaled.

“Then with their help guarding our most vulnerable, we pushed them back, forcing them back to the sea mile by mile. Corralling them on our western beaches, in response they left behind the Newfoals, while their soldiers were evacuated by a mass teleport... Have you ever seen an overloaded unicorn?... It’s a horrific sight... blood leaking from their orifices, third-degree burns covering their faces, the smell of burning flesh... they chose that instead of surrender. That signaled just what we were in for, a fight for every inch by fanatical soldiers who would fight to the death rather than accept the war was lost..” He gazed into the distance, remembering when they arrived at Laguna Beach. The silence, the smells, and the empty stares the Newfoals had waiting for orders from the dead unicorns still haunting him.

“The war was long and scaring, with an enemy that would rather burn everything down than admit defeat. The final days were far from respite, as she sent more and more colts to battle soldiers.” He looked around. “Child soldiers have always been something we’ve all condemned, but at the same time seemed so far away. Yet in the final days there they were... indoctrinated to fight to the death. Fighting them left deep-seated PTSD in many of our soldiers, even today many can’t even hear a child’s laughter without going into shock. So many times thinking they had surrendered peacefully... only for them to detonate potion bombs under their armor... having to make that choice, a child or your unit... enemy or not is a choice I hope no one in this room or beyond ever has to make again....”

“The deeper we trekked into the country the more complicated the image became. Roaming bands of refugees, having lost everything in a single night, their towns, villages, all burnt to the ground by the guard in a desperate attempt to slow our advance. Many didn’t even know there was a war going on in the first place, confused and scared by a foreign military in their lands... but many more seemed... relieved.” He shifted behind the podium. “We have often labeled our forces liberators, yet this was one of the few times we could actually claim the title. Settling up refugee camps, dispensing food and medicine, it tells you something when a people are happier to see a stranger than their own armed forces.” Looking back down at the podium he continued.

“The end game of Canterlot was poised to be the hardest battle of the campaign. Rumors of blockades and chokepoints congesting the city, on top of a seemingly impenetrable shield, but once again we were surprised. A single mare walked to the edge of the shield alone, waiting for days before we got the approval to contact her.” He gazed back up. “Without her, the civilians in that city would have just been another statistic... with the only thoughts being who died from starvation, and who died from artillery or airstrikes.”

“I know many of you have at best-mixed feelings about the Equestrian remnant, I won’t say your wrong to have those feelings either. We need time to recover, but history has taught us a lesson time and time again, all things pass.” He sighed finishing his speech. “Maybe not in a generation, likely not two, maybe not even three, but all things pass. After our ancestors fought the revolutionary war, would they have believed us someday English would be one of our closest allies? When the Second World War ended, who would have guessed that a few decades later our children would enjoy the fruits of the Japanese video game revolution? Even now, the Vietnamese are quickly becoming another close alley as we work together to dispense aid to ailing ASEAN nations. Perhaps, someday we will say the same about Equestrians.” Looking around the room, a few seemed thoughtful about what he said, still many maintained apathetic looks. Then some maintained the look of hatred and distrust that he hadn’t left them since the final days of the war. Some people would never let go, but with others there was hope.

Author's Note:

So some people have been wondering if I'm going to continue my other story "Rise of an Empire, Fall of Another", well I have good news! After finishing my final classes for the semester I have rekindled my interest in the story and got past the writers block! I will still continue to update this story, but you will start seeing updates for the other soon.