• Published 28th Apr 2021
  • 383 Views, 24 Comments

Odds 'n' Ends - TheAncientPolitzanian



Flashes of everyday (and, in some cases, not-so-everyday) life in Ponyville, Equestria, and the lands beyond.

  • ...
5
 24
 383

So Long and Goodnight

As the world outside the cave grew darker still, five generations of dragons, plus one alicorn, solemnly huddled around the purple-scaled behemoth in the center. He didn't have much time remaining.

The recumbent dragon gazed at the lavender-coated alicorn before him, and, in an disconcertingly hushed voice for such a gargantuan creature, whispered to her and her alone.

"...Guess this is it, huh?"

"I guess so," the alicorn replied.

"...How much do you wanna bet Pinkie's planned a 'dragon-sized' welcome party for me?"

In spite of herself, the alicorn chuckled. "I think that's pretty much a given, Spike."

There was a brief silence.

Then, Spike took on a far more concerned tone. "Twilight, I'm sorry I can't—"

"Spike, don't worry," Twilight reassured her longtime friend. "You can go. I... I'll be alright. I promise."

"...Y-You sure?"

She nodded. "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."


Author's Note:

April 2020 flashfic based on the prompt "So Long and Goodnight" by The Red Parade. An expanded version is currently in the works, and will be linked below once it's published.

EDIT: As of 12/14/21, that expansion has been finished and released:

TGone With the Light
As the sun sets, Twilight bids her first friend a final farewell.
TheAncientPolitzanian · 2.8k words  ·  111  6 · 1.5k views

If you're interested, go check it out!