• Published 28th Apr 2021
  • 383 Views, 24 Comments

Odds 'n' Ends - TheAncientPolitzanian



Flashes of everyday (and, in some cases, not-so-everyday) life in Ponyville, Equestria, and the lands beyond.

  • ...
5
 24
 383

To Be Free

Though it had merely been several days, to Silverstream it felt like an eternity had passed since the rumors started, spreading across Seaquestria like ripples in a restless pond. The rumors that the Storm King had fallen, his nigh-invincible armies scattered to the four winds.

The rumors that, with his defeat, the passageway to Hippogriffia was again unobstructed.

The little seapony had often pondered the surface world, her daydreams further lofted by her father's wistful recollections of the hippogriffs' former homeland—the homeland Silverstream once presumed she'd been born a few years too late to witness firsthand.

Now, such hiraeth was unwarranted. Now, she could feel the sun-dried sand beneath her hooves and talons, feel the feathered wings at her sides, yearning to unfurl.

The hippogriff gazed up in wonder at the clear skies above. And it was then that, for perhaps the first time in her life, Silverstream understood how good freedom felt.


Author's Note:

A slighly tweaked version of my July 2020 flashfic, based on the prompt "After the Storm" by The Red Parade. As of mid-April 2021, I still believe it to be my best work on this site.

This may someday get a "spiritual remake" of sorts, but for now, this will be all.