• Published 28th Apr 2021
  • 381 Views, 24 Comments

Odds 'n' Ends - TheAncientPolitzanian



Flashes of everyday (and, in some cases, not-so-everyday) life in Ponyville, Equestria, and the lands beyond.

  • ...
5
 24
 381

The Song Remains the Same

"...And you should not blame me, too
if I can't help fallin' in love with you,
so even if the world tells us it's wrong,
you're in my head like a catchy song."

Applejack strummed her guitar for another bar or so, and then the song came to an end.

Autumn Blaze clapped her hooves together. "Bravo, bravo!"

"Thank you, thank you," Applejack replied, before looking down at her guitar and grinning. "Y'know, Autumn, Ah've known that song since Ah was a filly. My Ma wrote it for my Pa. Used to sing it to him all the time.

"We'll have a song of our own soon enough," she continued, her voice taking on a somewhat apologetic tone, "but for now, it seemed fitting enough."

"No worries, AJ," Autumn assured, having noticed her marefriend's seeming regret. "Remember, I'm a theatre mare! I can appreciate a bit of parra... parayell... No, wait, I—"

"Parallelism?" Applejack offered.

"Yeah, yeah, that!" Autumn Blaze concurred. "Parallelism! I'm cool with it!"

Applejack chuckled. "Happy to hear that, Autumn."

"And I'm happy to hear that you're happy to hear it!"

The couple laughed at themselves for a little while longer, then silence fell again.

"So, do you know any other songs?" Autumn eventually asked.

"Oh, you bet yer flank Ah do!" Applejack chuckled, picking up her guitar once more. "A-one and a-two and a—

"Well, my love is like a barrel..."


Author's Note:

A very extended version of an alternate submission to the aforementioned "A Song I Remember" prompt. It went unused after I deemed it inferior to Lullaby (the fact that another author had already submitted an Applejack-centric flashfic certainly didn't help its chances, either). Here, it makes its debut.

A standalone extension of the story is well within the realm of possibility.