• Published 28th Apr 2021
  • 383 Views, 24 Comments

Odds 'n' Ends - TheAncientPolitzanian



Flashes of everyday (and, in some cases, not-so-everyday) life in Ponyville, Equestria, and the lands beyond.

  • ...
5
 24
 383

Looking Down

Author's Note:

This one's a short "proof of concept" for a NextGen concept I toyed with prior to G5's announcement. I'm not sure if anything else will ever come of it, but at least this part of it exists.

I hope you'll enjoy it!
:P


"Hey, Kal, can you walk on your back legs?" Zap asked abruptly.

Kaleidoscope blinked. "Huh?"

"I'm just curious, that's all. It's just... Your dad usually walks around on his hind legs—whenever he's not floating around, at least," the pegasus elaborated. "Can you do that, or...?"

"...I mean, yeah," the draconequus answered, "But—"

"Really?" Little Cheese, evidently intrigued, cut in. "Could you show us?"

Kal mulled it over for a moment, then gave his friends an unsure nod. "Alright, if you say so..."

The draconequus-pony hybrid bent his elbows, bringing his upper body and head low to the ground. He then pushed off the dirt with his front paws, launching his form upwards. He staggered for a moment or two, but soon came to a stable standstill on his hind hooves.

"T-There," Kal stammered. "So, um... What do you think?"

Zap and Little Cheese looked up at their now-bipedal friend, their eyes wide and mouths agape.

"Dang..." murmured the former.

"Woah, you look cool!" cheered the latter. "How come you don't do that more often?"

"It just feels... weird, y'know?" Kal sighed, quickly lowering himself back onto all fours. "I don't like having to look down at everycreature like that."

Zap smirked. "Makes you feel too much like a tyrannical overlord, huh?"

"That's one way of putting it, I guess..." Kal murmured, unsurely shrugging his shoulders.

"Well, I like it!" Cheese reassured him.

In spite of himself, Kal smiled. "Heh, thanks."