• Published 28th Dec 2019
  • 185 Views, 0 Comments

Research on "Nyx of the Night" - Arn



Useless Scub is a pony seeking permission to publish his research to the public on "Nyx of the Night."

  • ...
 0
 185

A Walk in the Garden

Princess Celestia was interested in me the moment I came into court.

Most scholars and gentry usually pay another to bring their petition before the throne. I, being recently impoverish do to an accident near a river. My research on a very important linage lost down stream, I had to make the petition myself to scraps of fairtail I had left or else eat grass and be a dullard!

I curse myself, that unfortunate stumble! Such a luxurious warm and pleasant day of zephyr breezes, I just wasn't paying attention. The sun was in my eyes.

As soon as I was before the throne, I made my bow and prepared my petition.

"Useless Scrubb." she said beneficently."What an interesting name!"

Surprised I rose, she knew my name,"Um yes your Majesty..."so very awkward.

"It says you are a historical researcher come to petition me, us, to allow the printing of certain documents as an anthology?"

"Yes your Majesty..."

"Well, I'm afraid I can't allow you to do it right now..."

"Oh..."so very disappointing

"Comeback this evening, I am having a private dinner with my sister...we will be together,"she smiled lightly," then discuss your petition."

It was most extraordinary! To be invited to dine?Me! What was I to wear!

Looking through my rags, an accumulation of at least five households, a miracle! I assembled a tux...it was tight in places...but I made it fit and look reasonably well...well..

A good cleaning, with good soap, coat brushing, teeth filing and the tiniest bit of cologne, all little beyond my budget, I...hired a carriage to take me to the palace from the cheap hotel I was staying.

The princess had me meet her in the gardens and walk a bit. There she told me stories.

We looked at the statues.

A decaying figure clutching a flag held aloft in defiance stance, as some weird biped, as his face began to soften by the element of wind and rain, forced by time to change, the braces and manacles he was wearing, stubbornly holding him upright, being undressed from him by nature's force. As I watched, one of the digits on the manacle of his right hoof broke off and fell to the ground with a click. I though I saw deep despair in those worn stone of his eyes.

Another was of a beautiful young mare she also stood erect, she held a sword in her hoof, in readiness but apprehension, Her dressing was turn of the century work of an excavator, I could guess, archaeologist? Clothes, pants and a cloak, still so very feminine, tossed by a stilled wind, chosen by the artist to look a pair of wing.
Like a Pegsi warrior bring salvation or justice.

Roses grew in abundance around her. "Quarter Horse special..."Celestia said bringing one up to catch its scent. "Lady Brundle Berry." she said with a smile as I took in the delicate fragrance offered. "I wish I had understood what those twisted Alicorn skeletons had meant when she found them in the train tunnel."Celestia's mood darkened."In that dark pit entombed in clay...predating Equestria." she sighed."Only Quarterhorse had the curiosity given by his ancestry to ask."sighing again."If I had had it, maybe he wouldn't have gone...Yes, for Brundle Berry he would have stayed,he would have stayed."she smirked "after all, I was never his princess.."

I did not ask. I was not invited too. I felt I was merely there to listen.

She turned to leave, I read the pedestal among the roses.
"One. Two. Three. The Secret of the Shovel."

"Moon flowers!" she cried bringing my attention.

"From Quarterhorse?" I asked

She only gave me a mischievous and mysterious smile, after all I was only there to listen.

"After Val Cry was dismissed from his post...I had these moon flowers planted round this stone! Aren't they lovely this time of year? So close to evening?"

The beautiful and delicate blooms seemingly from another world framed a stone. A grave!

"There is a pony there?"

"His name is Issac...."she said solemnly.

"Issac? Strange pony name."

"Yes...haven't you heard of the strange ponies?"she asked.

Stories. I had heard stories."The Thundering Herds..."

"Yes."She pointed at the stone. "Issac, means beloved...he was most beloved by me. My strange cap and bearded Issac.."

We walked on. "These gardens originally were tended by Doctor Puzzle." she said."When I heard this I could have heard the sound of children laughing and playing and singing. Till we passed that twisted figure.

She pointed at it,"Discord."she said.

"Doctor Puzzle often left riddles."she said bringing me back."Can you read this one?"

I squinted and read at last,"Find Marigold's"

A game!Trotting over to one, I pointed at it."Marigold!" I said proudly.

Celestia walked over never taking her eyes off of me. "I always look for Marigold's when I can.." she continue staring.

"Come,"she said at last. "Sister is waiting, we have much to discuss!"

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment