• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 8,676 Views, 691 Comments

Shouldn't Be - Lumadous



When Sgt Castle wakes up in a stange new land, he has to wonder how he can survive in such a place

  • ...
65
 691
 8,676

Ch 7. Mail Call

I woke up to a gentle shaking, slowly rocking me back and forth. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Fluttershy trying to wake me up.

"Mornin' Fluttershy, what's up?" I mumbled groggily. Looking around the room I saw Applejack was sitting on her bed eating a sandwich, and Big Mac was still a statue, although cracks had started to form at his joints.

"Just to see if you wanted lunch?" she said quietly, hiding behind her mane.

"Lunch? Sure that sounds wonderful!" I said as I stood and stretched out my aching joints. "Oh and Fluttershy, I'm sorry about scaring you yesterday, I just overreacted a bit."

"Its fine, it was even a little cute to see you worry about her so much," she said with a grin.

With a sigh I sat in the chair next to Applejack and opened the tray cover, revealing a dandelion and cucumber sandwich, with steamed broccoli as a side. The hunger in my stomach made an argument against eating flowers a moot point. The sandwich itself was bitter because of the dandelions but it was exactly what I needed after last nights adventures.

"So the nurse said Princess Luna visited last night," said Applejack, who was chewing in her broccoli.

"Yeah, she wanted to make sure I was safe to be around," I said awkwardly.

"What in tarnation? Does no pony believe me when ah say your as harmless as a kitten?" she asked, getting angry.

"They just want to be sure, I would also want to be if I was in their position," I said trying in vain to calm her.

"You know what I mean, ah'm the element of honesty for Pete's sake," she was almost yelling now.

"Yeah, I know, last night Princess Luna also took the time to explain a lot of things to me, I think she was trying to help me settle into this world better." Hoping that by staying calm she'll follow suit.

"Hope I'm not interrupting," said Twilight as she entered the room.

"Nope, ya ain't interruptin’ a thang," said Applejack with a harumph.

"Well good," Twilight said, completely oblivious to the anger that seemed to be coming off Applejack in waves. "I just have a letter for you Mr. Cass."

"It's just Cass, my father is Mr. Cass."

"Okay, though I do wonder why Princess Luna is sending you letters through Spike rather than the normal mail system, I don't think I've even gotten a letter from Princess Luna!" she said, sounding disappointed.

"Okay, can I get my mail?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, sorry." Applejack rolled her eyes as Twilight turned her back, a smile creeping onto her face.

"Thanks," I said as it floated out of her saddlebags and over onto my tray of half-eaten lunch.

Gently opening the scrolls seal I see a very elaborate writing that only took up a small portion of the page.

"Dear Cass

I enjoyed our walk together last night and I apologize once again for leaving so abruptly, and I do hope you made it back to your room at the hospital okay. I am sending you this letter to invite you to the Royal Canterlot Castle. I had mentioned that while I could not send you home I could let you see into your world, and I intend to keep my promise, any time you want to be able to see home just present yourself to the royal guards at the gate, they will be expecting you. Oh, and bring as many friends as you please.

Sincerely, Luna"

Carefully rolling the scroll back up, I look up to see all three ponies in the room watching me expectantly.

"The Princess has invite us to the castle, whenever we please, she says she can show me my home." I said, I had forgotten that she said she could not send me home, the sorrow of never being among my own was killing me slowly inside.

"Well I have nothing planned for this weekend," said Twilight cheerfully, nudging Fluttershy who just nodded.

"Well if it’s important to you it's important to me," said Applejack, laying a hoof on my arm.

With a weak smile, I said, "Looks like we’re going to see the Princess then, can you send a letter back to the Princess, Twilight?"

"Sure," she said, floating a blank scroll and an old fashioned feather quill towards me.

"Hmmm," looking at the quill I remember something. I went over to where my DACU jacket was hanging on a hook on the wall and took one of my pens out of the pen pocket on the left arm. Returning to the scroll, I scratched out a short message

"Thanks for the invite, will be there this weekend, and thank you once again.

Cass"

Handing the letter to Twilight, she pointed at my pen and said, "You said you had no magic."

"Not magic, just a normal pen. Much easier carrying this around than a quill and ink. Want to borrow one so you can study it, see if you can recreate something similar here?"

"Would I ever!" she said as she nearly yanked my arm out of socket with her magic as she grabbed the pen, giggling like a schoolgirl.

"Umm, Applejack," interrupted Fluttershy from across the room.

"Yes Fluttershy?" she answered gently.

In response she merely pointed over behind the curtains, where, as if in response, there was a sharp crack and the sound of stone falling to the floor. Applejack leapt up, and using my lap as a springboard, launched herself across the room over to her brother. I walked over and peaked around the curtain, trying not to interrupt what was most likely going to be a touching family reunion. Applejack, forelegs wrapped around his neck was crying softly as stone continued to slide off of her brother. He looked slightly dazed and confused, but otherwise okay.

"Big Mac!" she sobbed into his mane "you're finally awake."

"Eeyup, but what happened?"

"Cass saved us, that what happened!" she said, completely ignoring the look of shock and hate her brother was sending me over her shoulder.

"Mind explainin’ that?"